• 10,546,604 Posts
• 415,604 Topics
• 23,821 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Live Updates from Chad Morris, Gus Malzahn SEC Teleconference  (Read 1150 times)

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
  • All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Live Updates from Chad Morris, Gus Malzahn SEC Teleconference
« on: October 16, 2019, 10:55:37 am »

Chad will be on at 11 am today and Gus at 12:10.

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
Re: Live Updates from Chad Morris, Gus Malzahn SEC Teleconference
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 11:07:19 am »

Chad Opening

Disappointed we keep putting ourselves in positions at end of games, 20 yards away. to win games and can't find a way to win them.

We are honoring Darren McFadden this weekend
Honoring 1969 and 1989 teams
Recruits on campus

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 11:08:09 am »

Everything with QB is a possibility at this point. Yesterday was one of our better practices. Our QB battle in practice is healthy.
 I am open to rotating QBs

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 11:09:17 am »

I think one of the things we did a  great job last year against Auburn was we tackled well. We got off field on third down. We will have to get aligned correctly. We have to make sure we are assignment sound and aligned correctly.

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 11:09:58 am »

I know Coach Malzahn one of my better friends we go way back to early 2000s. His wife and mine are good friends.

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 11:11:00 am »

When he and I originally met we were both coaching high school ball. The sharing of ideas started and continued every year. One thing was Gus kinda led the charge of HS coaches getting into college coaching. I wouldn't be in college if not for Gus.

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 11:11:31 am »

Rakeem, Joe Foucha and Colton Jackson will all play on Saturday.

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 11:12:26 am »

Bo Nix has a lot more window dressing with the scheme that coach Malzahn runs. You have to align correctly to defend him. He has different running style than Lynn Bowden.

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 11:13:41 am »

Auburn Front 7 the depth and speed they have. This ranks up there with all the defenses I have seen. He gets his guys to play hard. I don't know if I have seen a player who plays as hard for so long as Brown. But it doesn't stop with him. They have a lot of depth.

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 11:15:04 am »

This is a line of scrimmage league.

Florida's defensive front was disruptive at times,, put pressure on Bo and hurried some throws. They played some good coverage behind it too. I know Bo would like to have had some of his throws back in that game.

woodrow hog call

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 11:40:05 am »

I think one of the things we did a  great job last year against Auburn was we tackled well. We got off field on third down. We will have to get aligned correctly. We have to make sure we are assignment sound and aligned correctly.

This is one of my pet peeves, I swear we give up containment with just how we line up on defense some times. Just make it too easy for them at times by trying to out guess them.

Pennywise

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 11:42:20 am »

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

We need to see it on the field chad.

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 11:45:09 am »

Complete Chad Morris

OPEN: Well, as I said this week, disappointed we keep putting ourselves in position to win games at the end. Twenty yards away and just unable to find a way to win games like that. We’ve got to be able to do that.
   We were back in here on Sunday and had a really good work week. We’re excited to get back into our home stadium in front of our home fans. We’ve got a lot of things going on this weekend, a lot of recruits on campus.
   We’re honoring Darren McFadden and his Hall of Fame induction, and obviously we’re honoring the 1969 and the 1989 teams. So a lot of things going on. Just excited to get back in our home stadium.

THE QB SITUATION, ROTATING?
    Yeah, everything is a possibility at this point. I think they both came out - I know yesterday was a really competitive day on not just offense. It was defense. It was one of our better days that we’ve had. So it was great to see the energy level with our players and then just staying through the process. I think our quarterback (he actually doesn’t say a word, like battle or competition, just no word. Didn’t want to give it name) that we’ve got going on right now in practice has been very healthy. And yes, I would be open to the guy that - if something, whoever we play and start - if it doesn’t go as planned to be able to bring the other guy off the bench. I think they both have proven that they’re in a comfort level to do that.

HOLDING AUBURN DOWN LAST YEAR, CAN YOU REPEAT IT?
    Yeah I think one of the things we did a really good job of was limiting the big plays. And that really stood out after watching the film. The second thing is we tackled well. We had a great plan of getting them off the field on third down. We’ve got to do a great job with that. They have an incredible amount of speed all over the field. They’ve got depth. So we’re going to have to do a really, really sound job of getting aligned correctly defensively. I know Gus and the different shifts and movements that he likes to do. We have to make sure that we’re assignment sound and aligned correctly.

BREAKING: Chad and Gus know each other)

Well, I know Coach. Kristi and my wife… We’re really good friends, one of my better friends. He and I go way back to the early, early 2000s.

(BREAKING: Chad and Gus are both former high school coaches)

When he and I originally met, he was coaching high school ball and so was I. From that point, just the talks, the aspirations, sharing ideas started and continued every year. Gus kinda led the charge for high school coaches getting into college programs. I wouldn’t be in college coaching had it not been for Gus. Gus recommended me to Todd Graham when he left Tulsa to go to Auburn, so there’s a lot of connections that go really deep and it started back when we were high school coaches.

(Status of Boyd, Jackson and Foucha)

All three will play. They were out at practice yesterday. Colton was in a regular jersey. They other two were in green jerseys. I anticipate those transitioning over to regular colored jerseys this week. They’ll both be ready to go Saturday.

(What kind of problems does Bo Nix present as a runner compared to Bowden last week)

I think from Bo’s standpoint compared to Bowden, there is a lot more window dressing, a lot more different presentations with Bo’s run game. A lot of that is by design with the scheme that Coach Malzahn runs. I think you got to, again as I mentioned earlier, you got to be assignment sound and you got to get yourself aligned. That is going to be the most critical thing this week, we got to make sure we are aligned correctly. Different in running styles, but very much effective.

(Steve asks about Derrick Brown and Auburn’s front 7)

We turn it on (the tape) and you watch the entire defense, you watch the speed that they have and the depth that they have, it’s extremely impressive. I’ve played against a lot of really really talented defenses and this would definitely rank up there with one of those, if not one of the better ones. I think it starts with their defensive line. I worked with Kevin Steele at Clemson and obviously know the quality and caliber of coach that he is, and how he gets his kids to play hard. It starts with that defensive line. When you start looking at Derrick Brown, I don’t think I’ve seen a better guy that plays as hard for so long. He is very impressive to watch. He’s got a great career ahead of him. But, it doesn’t stop with him, you know, Tyrone, Marlon, Big Kat, it goes on and on. Then, the guys behind them, Nick Cole is very productive when he gets on the field, so a lot of depth. Coynis MIller is another one that is always around the ball. That is one of those things that you understand, that this is a line-of-scrimmage league. They definitely have the depth there in their D-line to cause a lot of problems.

(What did Florida do to slow down Bo Nix?)

Again, it’s a line-of-scrimmage league, and Florida’s defensive front was definitely disruptive at times, putting pressure and hurried throws. That was one of the biggest things behind it. They also played some really good coverage behind it. Give Florida credit for the way they played, and I know there are a few throws in there that Bo wishes he had back as he had some guys open just had to get the ball there a little quicker, but Bo’s a phenomenal talent. We knew him when he was in high school, we watched him, followed him. He’s done a great job this year of playing in the system of what Coach Malzahn has asked him to do.

ON BOYD, FOUCHA, COLTON JACKSON STATUS AND ON NIX AS A RUNNING QB COMPARED TO BOWDEN LAST WEEK:  All three will play. They were out at practice yesterday. Colton was in a regular jersey.  The other two were in green but I anticipate those two transitioning over to regular color jerseys this week. They’ll both be ready to go Saturday.

AND NIX-BOWDEN COMPARIONS?  Well, I think from Bo’s standpoint to Bowden, there’s a lot more window dressing. A lot more different presentations with Bo’s run game. A lot of that is by design with the scheme that Coach Malzahn runs. As I mentioned earlier you’ve got to be assignment sound and you’ve got to get yourself aligned.  That’s going to be the most critical thing this week is making sure we’re aligned.  Different in running styles but very much effective.

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 12:07:21 pm »

Gus

We had a really good offweek. A solid week of practice so far. We know we will get Arkansas' best. Going on road in SEC is never easy

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 12:08:57 pm »

Defense against pass has done a very good job. We have done a good job of affecting the QBs. Our defensive backs have done a very good job against some WRs not just QBs

We have been close on interceptions. We have one this season, but I think the interception number will grow dramatically in the 2H

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 12:10:22 pm »

Arkansas has two guys who can get job done. They have luxury if starter not getting it done they can bring the other guy in

Arkansas got after us last year. Stuffed our run and did a great job of eliminating big play. Kept everything in front of them. Their players did a good job executing their defense.

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 12:11:23 pm »

Chad Morris is an excellent football coach. The thing that stands out to me is his guys are playing extremely. He'll hang in there and get that thing turned around. It's just a matter of time before they get over that hump.

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2019, 12:12:52 pm »

When you have success doing something that's when for me it clicked in college.

We will have same approach we've had in running game this week. We just need guys to step up. It really helped us an off week.

hogfan14

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2019, 12:29:49 pm »

Disappointed we keep putting ourselves in positions at end of games, 20 yards away. to win games and can't find a way to win them.

I'm not sure how he can say this about the Kentucky game since they drove right down the field and took a knee inside the redzone right after that anyway

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2019, 12:42:44 pm »

Gus Malzahn Full Transcript

GUS MALZAHN: OPENING:    We had as really good off week. We’ve  had a solid week of practice.  Looking forward to getting back on the field.  The road in the SEC is never easy. We know we are going to get their best.  Our guys are looking forward to the game

(Playing 3 of top 4 passing teams in SEC plus Oregon how has your D done?)

I think they've done a very good job. I think we've done a good job of affecting the quarterbacks and our defensive backs have done a very solid job as we have played some very talented quarterbacks, but also some very talented receivers.

(You only have one interception, why not more?)

We have been close. We've had some opportunities. We've got to seize the moment when we get our chances to get the ball. I think the second half of the season that number will grow dramatically.

(What have you seen out of Nick Starkel and Ben Hicks?)

I think you are right. I think they've got two guys that can get the job done. They've got the luxury of if a guy isn't doing great they can bring the other guy in. The backups really went in and really gave them a spark. Our approach is we're really expecting to see both of them and that's happened a few times this year.

(Arkansas' D in last year's game?)

They got after us. Stuffed our run. Did a very good job of eliminating the big play. They kept things in front of them. They held us to 225 yards so they flat got after us in a lot of different areas. Had a good scheme and executed it.

(What would you tell Chad about struggles?)

He's an excellent football coach. I think the glaring thing that stands out to me is his guys are playing extremely hard. That's a tribute to him and his staff. There's some other teams around the country that lose a game or two and don't play hard. He'll hang in there and get the thing turned around there's no doubt about that. You see him getting closer. They could have won the last two games. Had opportunities and it's just a matter of time before they get over that hump.

(Transition from Springdale to Arkansas to Tulsa, biggest part of what made you think you were ready for the college game)

I think it’s getting used to everything outside of the football. That’s probably the No. 1 thing looking back. Then, when you have success doing something you normally get confirmation of it. That’s really when, for me, it clicked.

(Boobee is on the shelf. How’s it change the run game?)

We’re going to have the same approach we’ve had. We’re going to be a run, play-action team. We need to run the football effectively to be at our best, so we’re not going to change anything as far as our approach. We just need to have some guys step up, and I really think we’ll do that. We’ve had some guys who had excellent weeks of practice. I think it really helped us having an off week, you know, losing a key factor like that. That really helped us.

(On running back Harold Joiner, who has four carries for 19 yards this season)

Yeah, Harold is a big guy - a big, athletic guy. He's done some good things for us this year. I think this off week has been really good for him also, and he got more reps also with the guys. I think that will help him moving forward.

Pork Ranger

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2019, 12:50:54 pm »

Chad Morris is an excellent football coach. The thing that stands out to me is his guys are playing extremely. He'll hang in there and get that thing turned around. It's just a matter of time before they get over that hump.

Awful sweet of his BFF Gus

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm very disappointed...unacceptable- Chadwick
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2019, 02:12:02 pm »

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

We need to see it on the field chad.

hawaiianhogster

• Varsity
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2019, 09:28:40 pm »

Hey GroBer, So your saying that the players need to start showing that they are playing hard? You don't think the team can play hard?

If they never played hard they wouldn't have won any games. They would have lost all their games by more that 3 TD's each.

Good Lord help us all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas