• 10,647,220 Posts
• 417,465 Topics
• 24,452 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Arkansas Fans are cantankerous & narky better?  (Read 2141 times)

High On Swine

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Arkansas Fans are the worse
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2019, 12:34:14 pm »

How's that?

Um, investing time and money for a lot of us over the course of a lifetime. Paying a coach who is the highest paid state employee. Even if you are not donating or going to games, if you live in Arkansas you are paying.

jcbville

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2019, 12:35:00 pm »

They’re living up to the expectations that have been set I suppose.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

RyanMallettsEgo

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Damn glad to meet you
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2019, 12:35:42 pm »

Um, investing time and money for a lot of us over the course of a lifetime.

That sounds like your choice to me. No one made you do it, did they?

High On Swine

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2019, 12:39:03 pm »

That sounds like your choice to me. No one made you do it, did they?

I'm not, they pissed me off 10 years ago through their lack of customer service and homie don't play that. The OP who I quoted asked how we have a right to complain so I thought I would give them a proper answer.

You don't believe those give you reason to complain? If you are not a donor or live in the state, then you have no complaints other than a regular fan who does not like losing.

pingeye2

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2019, 12:39:29 pm »

While I agree that CCM seems to be in way over his head I do realize that many (most?) thought the very same about Nolan after 2 seasons. I'm certain we are all glad we didn't have too quick of a trigger there. Maybe a similar situation here, maybe not. None of us know for sure....

Hawginj

« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2019, 12:42:40 pm »

How's that?
you see like many here and across this great state we were born here, raised here, invested time, money, sweat, and tears. We have worked for it, suffered and endured through it for all of our lives. We have won and lost with our team, we have sacrificed precious time with them as well. This is more than just a team,more than just a game it is part of us. The Arkansas Razorback program is just as important to us as our own beating heart. That's why!

nesjunk

« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2019, 12:46:51 pm »

While I agree that CCM seems to be in way over his head I do realize that many (most?) thought the very same about Nolan after 2 seasons. I'm certain we are all glad we didn't have too quick of a trigger there. Maybe a similar situation here, maybe not. None of us know for sure....

Nolan was 12-16 in his first season (7th in the SWC) and 19-14 in his second season (5th in the SWC) with a post-season win in the NIT.  That's some pretty visible improvement.  Yeah, I'm gonna go with "not".

High On Swine

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2019, 12:47:04 pm »

you see like many here and across this great state we were born here, raised here, invested time, money, sweat, and tears. We have worked for it, suffered and endured through it for all of our lives. We have won and lost with our team, we have sacrificed precious time with them as well. This is more than just a team,more than just a game it is part of us. The Arkansas Razorback program is just as important to us as our own beating heart. That's why!

Truth, and if you don't get this, then you are a troll on this board and not a true fan.

Hawginj

« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2019, 12:49:21 pm »

Truth, and if you don't get this, then you are a troll on this board and not a true fan.
There are lots of those little buggers here my friend lots of em!

Sivad

« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2019, 12:51:07 pm »

Thanks Ms. Morris.
At least she’s finally engaging with the fans.

hogbbq

« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2019, 12:52:23 pm »

All the “Chad Morris” should be fired folks are doing nothing but hurting the effort to rebuild this program.  Yes, the results are not what I wished for but the season is not over and neither is all the work. 

Do y’all realize we have had five head coaches since the 2007 season.  How many lost recruiting seasons we lost?  How many schemes have been changed?

I agree Chad Morris might be learning a bit on the job, and that’s ok.  I admit perhaps there might need to be a few staff changes.  But scraping the whole thing at this point is wrong and will cause more lean years. 

The one thing that can turn this around is recruiting and in this day and age trust me every kid is reading these boards. 

Nobody wants to hear this but five years! 

Btw, I would not mind seeing a different quarterback.  Maybe a running QB. 

But let’s be patient and help the effort not hurt it.
When a person needs a heart transplant you don't say lets give the current heart that is failing more time to see if it fixes itself.  Morris was an unwise hire, an experiment given a tremendous amount of money.   He was an unproven HC when with a 14-22 record.  Some on this board criticize Norvell as a possible replacement but he is 31-15 in his fourth year at Memphis, a place not known for football success.  SMU is doing much better in Dykes second year after having to replace some of Morris' recruits.  People criticize Leach, but his record is a winning one and he has a proven record of turning around programs.  Our administration and who ever they went to for advice led us to Morris with a 14-22 record and we now look like a heart transplant patient on life support and you want to wait for the heart to fix itself. 
Nope, can't see it.  Yeah, maybe it gets turned around but there is no reasonable evidence of that happening.  I don't think you can fire him mid stream but if he doesn't make a very big turnaround in the last 6 games he needs to go and we need a guy who has some credentials as a HC.  We took a guy without a winning record and some have been supportive of that decision, I'd prefer a guy with a winning record at a school he has coached as the HC.  Play the percentages not dabble in OJT and experiments.   Three more years of losing records will kill the program.  Making a change will show we realize we messed up and are serious about fixing it, if we  make a wise hire.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Damn glad to meet you
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2019, 12:56:01 pm »

That doesn't mean we "deserve" anything.

I deserved and earned my diploma from the U of A based on the work I did and meeting the necessary requirements to earn a diploma.

I haven't deserved or earned the U of A winning football games just because I voluntarily decided to give some time and money to the program.

ballz2thewall

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2019, 12:56:17 pm »

no we're not

tenn is worser.

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2019, 01:01:21 pm »

Sorry for ragging on the grammar. That's normally not like me. I'm a worser human being for it.
CCM is both a nerd and a horrible coach. I’m not sure which one is worst.

Hawginj

« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2019, 01:02:14 pm »

I deserved and earned my diploma from the U of A based on the work I did and meeting the necessary requirements to earn a diploma.

I haven't deserved or earned the U of A winning football games just because I voluntarily decided to give some time and money to the program.
That means you don't understand what it is to be an Arkansas Razorbacks fan. Those of us who have donated have chosen to do so yes. But being an Arkansan its not a matter of choice its in your blood its part of who you are we are Razorbacks and we like those that have come before us have earned the right to demand better for those kids and for our beloved university!

carolinahogger

• Hogvillian
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2019, 01:04:31 pm »

Take it easy on the OP.  I'm guessing that English is not his firstest language.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Damn glad to meet you
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2019, 01:04:50 pm »

That means you don't understand what it is to be an Arkansas Razorbacks fan. Those of us who have donated have chosen to do so yes. But being an Arkansan its not a matter of choice its in your blood its part of who you are we are Razorbacks and we like those that have come before us have earned the right to demand better for those kids and for our beloved university!

Thank you for your service and being the gatekeeper of fandom. We appreciate your hard work.

You are the gatekeeper we...deserve.

195bc

« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2019, 01:05:40 pm »

This is actually a very good argument for all the fans that have invested so much time into the program over the decades. It's those people that have largely helped Arkansas be in the top 25 in athletic department revenue and attendance, despite the football program being in the bottom half of the P5. At some point, you have to do whatever is feasible to provide those fans with a winning program - not a championship program, just a well run winning program (like Iowa or Utah or Oklahoma State). Because if you don't, you start to lose the support of fans like me - UA grad, born and raised in Arkansas, college football fanatic, and used to try to go to at least one home game per year despite living out of state. I realized some time back that life was more enjoyable if I invested my time in a better run program or just didn't invest my time in any program and do something else on autumn Saturdays. So I invest my time in OU football (I live in Oklahoma and my kids have been largely raised here), and I really enjoy football season. The hope is still there that Arkansas will one day be competitive, but if not, it won't affect me much. I'm in my 40s and barely remember the Hatfield days. So all I've seen is a handful of exciting seasons with Nutt and Petrino, and then a bunch of mediocrity or worse. If something doesn't change, more fans of my age and younger will also start to not care or change allegiance. Then the football program is basically dead. And the lost revenue from football may then affect the resources available to basketball and baseball.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2019, 01:06:35 pm »

All the “Chad Morris” should be fired folks are doing nothing but hurting the effort to rebuild this program.  Yes, the results are not what I wished for but the season is not over and neither is all the work. 

Do y’all realize we have had five head coaches since the 2007 season.  How many lost recruiting seasons we lost?  How many schemes have been changed?

I agree Chad Morris might be learning a bit on the job, and that’s ok.  I admit perhaps there might need to be a few staff changes.  But scraping the whole thing at this point is wrong and will cause more lean years. 

The one thing that can turn this around is recruiting and in this day and age trust me every kid is reading these boards. 

I don't think you are wrong in your thought process, where I think you are missing the point is that it is very clear this guy and this staff will never make it and the sooner we rip this bandage off the sooner we can get to something that could be acceptable.

hogbbq

« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2019, 01:08:40 pm »

no we're not

tenn is worser.
Tenn has a win against an SEC team. 

High On Swine

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2019, 01:09:12 pm »

We have a deserved right, based on everything we have told you, to send complaints to the RF and BOT. You are correct in that we have not deserved or earned the right to winning football games. If it was that easy my wishes for a national championship in my lifetime would happen this year with a 2-10 or 3-9 or 4-8 record. Nobody, other than players on the field and the coaches paid millions to help them perform at their peak level, deserve to win and only if they do the job, to the standard expected from both those sides, so they can trust/depend on each other to have their backs through thick and thin. It takes trust and dependence on both sides between players/coaches to be a family, pick each other up, hold each other accountable, work their arse off to be the best they can be. That is what winners do.   

Hawginj

« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2019, 01:12:42 pm »

Thank you for your service and being the gatekeeper of fandom. We appreciate your hard work.

You are the gatekeeper we...deserve.
we both know better than that lol

Uberanubis

« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2019, 01:13:15 pm »

Because we have earned it.

Not sure how we earned to be entitled.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Damn glad to meet you
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2019, 01:14:28 pm »

We have a deserved right, based on everything we have told you, to send complaints to the RF and BOT. You are correct in that we have not deserved or earned the right to winning football games. If it was that easy my wishes for a national championship in my lifetime would happen this year with a 2-10 or 3-9 or 4-8 record. Nobody, other than players on the field and the coaches paid millions to help them perform at their peak level, deserve to win and only if they do the job, to the standard expected from both those sides, so they can trust/depend on each other to have their backs through thick and thin. It takes trust and dependence on both sides between players/coaches to be a family, pick each other up, hold each other accountable, work their arse off to be the best they can be. That is what winners do.

So now it's changed from we deserve a winning program/head coach to we deserve the right to send complaints.

Not even remotely the same things.

Hawginj

« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2019, 01:18:00 pm »

Not sure how we earned to be entitled.
then I suggest you read. You may not have earned it yet but I speak for myself

HogsonHicks

« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2019, 01:18:37 pm »

Hog fans may be the most worstest, most meanest, most baddest, but the product on the field is in line with the behavior in the stands.

High On Swine

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2019, 01:19:09 pm »

So now it's changed from we deserve a winning program/head coach to we deserve the right to send complaints.

Not even remotely the same things.

I have not changed the narrative. I answered your question as to what gives us a right to care. I am not talking anything about entitled to anything, especially winning, when only the coaches and players can control that. You made your point, glad you got your degree and earned it! We have stated why we care. We can agree to disagree, whatever. But stop putting words that I have not typed.

snoblind

« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2019, 01:19:15 pm »

Learn on the job?  Obviously that isn't happening.

3 games in a row we should have brought the 2nd team QB into the game since #1 wasn't getting it done.  Hell, Morris even said he realized Starkel didn't have it in the 1st Q, but we don't see Hicks until 4th.

So many losses in a row are acceptable to you for the coaches to make the exact same mistake without learning from it?   

RyanMallettsEgo

• Damn glad to meet you
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2019, 01:22:46 pm »

I have not changed the narrative. I answered your question as to what gives us a right to care. I am not talking anything about entitled to anything, especially winning, when only the coaches and players can control that. You made your point, glad you got your degree and earned it! We have stated why we care. We can agree to disagree, whatever. But stop putting words that I have not typed.

My initial response was to a poster who said, "we deserve a coach who can actually coach!"

My initial response was then met with Hawginj's, "because we have earned it."

I.e., We deserve a coach who can actually coach because we have earned it.

That is where this whole thing started.

ArkieBacon

« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2019, 01:25:33 pm »

Chad Morris, you get off this board and do your job!
At lease go out in style and continue to make your last season here a series of close losses.
You're the worst.

hogbbq

« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2019, 01:26:31 pm »

I'd disagree in that taxpayers and contributing boosters and ticket buyers can make a reasonable argument for a reasonable return on money invested.  A large amount of money goes into the program, some of it from taxes and contributions and ticket sales.  Nobody likes seeing their money thrown away.

High On Swine

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2019, 01:27:20 pm »

My initial response was to a poster who said, "we deserve a coach who can actually coach!"

My initial response was then met with Hawginj's, "because we have earned it."

I.e., We deserve a coach who can actually coach because we have earned it.

That is where this whole thing started.

I was not the poster of any of that. I would argue that any fanbase school deserves a coach and should expect a coach who can actually coach. No, they are not entitled to one. After that, it is up to the people in power, PTB/BOT to supply someone who can do that and not throw a little money here or there on coaches that cannot. You want to be little, you spend little. You want a real coach, you open the book and go get them. Do we deserve better, absolutely. Are we entitled to better, absolutely not.

rzrbaxfan

« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2019, 01:29:03 pm »

This thread is worst than the usual "give chad more time" thread

HogsonHicks

« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2019, 01:29:28 pm »

Chad Morris, you get off this board and do your job!
At lease go out in style and continue to make your last season here a series of close losses.
You're the worst.

C’mon man, you have to follow the theme here.

He’s the worse.

Cambridge Hog

« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2019, 01:34:47 pm »

lost me at "Chad Morris"

snoblind

« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2019, 01:35:15 pm »

I'd disagree in that taxpayers and contributing boosters and ticket buyers can make a reasonable argument for a reasonable return on money invested.  A large amount of money goes into the program, some of it from taxes and contributions and ticket sales.  Nobody likes seeing their money thrown away.

No tax $ go into the athletic program.  Self supporting and has been for a long time.

hogbbq

« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2019, 01:48:17 pm »

No tax $ go into the athletic program.  Self supporting and has been for a long time.
I stand corrected.
So cost are from ticket sales, boosters, donors and athletic apparel and merchandise sales. 
So I bought a pair of socks with a razorback on them, I want a better coach. 
https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/arkansas-one-of-24-financially-self-supporting-programs-in-ncaa/

snoblind

« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2019, 02:07:57 pm »

I stand corrected.
So cost are from ticket sales, boosters, donors and athletic apparel and merchandise sales. 
So I bought a pair of socks with a razorback on them, I want a better coach. 
https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/arkansas-one-of-24-financially-self-supporting-programs-in-ncaa/

The 2 big income items you are missing are the TV and IMG contracts.

I blew off the foundation donation and season tickets this year.  My family were donors going back to before there was a Razorback foundation and my dad started buying tickets in the late 40's, season tickets from sometime in the 50's.

Frank and the Citadel game caused my dad to say to hell with it.  Somewhat surprised I lasted as long as I did.  Will always root for my Hogs, but the foundation and athletic department can waste someone else's coin. 

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2019, 02:10:01 pm »

Why do so many of our fans think we "deserve" or are entitled to something?

No one seems to be able to answer this, lol. Quite a few folks here keep saying, "fans deserve it". I hope someone here can help us understand what Arkansas fans have done differently to "deserve it" more than any other group of fans.  Is it because we attend games no matter the record? Is it because we stay til the end of the game regardless of score? Do we spend more on concessions?  Do we have a better tailgate scene? Do we tithe more to the football gods? If so, when and how much? Or, do some of us just make blanket, empty statements to try to make ourselves feel like we're more relevant than we really are.

I'm all for commanding higher expectations and all but let's put an end to this ridiculous, worthless "we the fans deserve better" BS.

HardCore

Re: Arkansas Fans are cantankerous & narky better?
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2019, 02:12:16 pm »

NEVER EVER NOT ONCE BEAT A POWER 5 TEAM AS A HC......EVER.  I don't blame Chad, he is just not good.  I blame whoever thought this was a good idea.

+1. Pretty much said it all.  I have nothing more to add, so off to the next Thread.

hogbbq

« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2019, 02:15:08 pm »

The 2 big income items you are missing are the TV and IMG contracts.

I blew off the foundation donation and season tickets this year.  My family were donors going back to before there was a Razorback foundation and my dad started buying tickets in the late 40's, season tickets from sometime in the 50's.

Frank and the Citadel game caused my dad to say to hell with it.  Somewhat surprised I lasted as long as I did.  Will always root for my Hogs, but the foundation and athletic department can waste someone else's coin.

Obviously I missed the boat but the point is that a lot of money goes into athletics and a large amount of money is paid to coaches, HC and all the assistants. What fans want and deserve is a return on that money and support.  It sometimes seems the University doesn't care too much for fans.

010HogFan

• "Wait Till Next Year!"
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2019, 02:15:40 pm »

No one seems to be able to answer this, lol. Quite a few folks here keep saying, "fans deserve it". I hope someone here can help us understand what Arkansas fans have done differently to "deserve it" more than any other group of fans.  Is it because we attend games no matter the record? Is it because we stay til the end of the game regardless of score? Do we spend more on concessions?  Do we have a better tailgate scene? Do we tithe more to the football gods? If so, when and how much? Or, do some of us just make blanket, empty statements to try to make ourselves feel like we're more relevant than we really are.

I'm all for commanding higher expectations and all but let's put an end to this ridiculous, worthless "we the fans deserve better" BS.

Ehhh we honestly do deserve better than this after all that has happened. It's a wonder that anyone still cares and that is a testament to the fanbase. Hopefully basketball is at least average this year.

code red

• You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2019, 02:19:44 pm »

I agree Chad Morris might be learning a bit on the job, and that's OK.  I admit perhaps there might need to be a few staff changes.  But scraping the whole thing at this point is wrong and will cause more lean years. 

But let's be patient and help the effort not hurt it. 
Question....who do you think wants to come to the U of A to play football?  Are you paying attention to the dropped commits?  To the defections mid season?  This thing is crumbling and it is NOT the fans fault....not even close.  Support a loser?  Nah.

Hogwop

• All-American Hogvillian
  • You've raised my frosty dander!
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2019, 02:23:30 pm »

lol

Jek Tono Porkins

« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2019, 02:24:54 pm »

He lost to Colorado State, got creamed by North Texas, lost to San Jose State, and hasn't won a conference game yet. Please explain to me how that is acceptable in any way, shape, or form. We're at rock bottom but even at rock bottom we should be able to win against North Texas, San Jose State, and not lose to one of the worst teams in the SEC on their third string, converted-wide-receiver quarterback.

I mean at least Bielema had some excuses for his terrible losses. That loss to Rutgers in 2013 was because BA got hurt and he had to play a guy at QB who ended up getting drafted as a tight end. His first six conference opponents were all ranked at the time. Then the next year his first six conference opponents were all ranked in the top 10 at the time. But even then his team ran over Texas Tech like a herd of buffalo. Then he shut out two conference opponents and won a bowl game. Even the fat alky wonder managed to win 6 games in year 2.

Morris is losing pay-to-play games and hasn't even played a ranked team yet and he's still losing. We're not beating Auburn, Bama, Missouri, or LSU. Probably not beating Mississippi State. That leaves Western Kentucky as the only winnable game on the schedule but Morris sucks so bad that Western Kentucky is basically a toss up game.

Tweeter

« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2019, 02:26:20 pm »

I agree Chad Morris might be learning a bit on the job, and that's OK.  I admit perhaps there might need to be a few staff changes.  But scraping the whole thing at this point is wrong and will cause more lean years. 

The one thing that can turn this around is recruiting and in this day and age trust me every kid is reading

But let's be patient and help the effort not hurt it.

YOU DON'T COME TO THE SEC TO LEARN ON THE JOB. :puke:

waterhogged

« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2019, 02:31:34 pm »

This is a great thread because good points are made on both sides of the fence.  My concern is that changing a coach after 2 years is a self-imposed death penalty to the program.  You throw away 3 recruiting classes in a row.  That guarantees mediocrity for an extended period.  What I see in Morris is a coach who is learning on the job unfortunately while trying to be a CEO type who lets the assistants do their job.  I like a CEO type coach.  But every CEO has to put results above loyalty.  And if Morris is using the Clemson blueprint (and those fans were calling Dabo an experiment and for him to be fired after year 2 as well), then Morris' next step is to fire assistants, just like Dabo. 

sickboy

« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2019, 02:31:45 pm »

I'm as optimistic a guy as you'll find. And I like Chad Morris and I think he could be a winner. But it's not going to be at Arkansas. Things just didn't bounce his way here, for whatever reason.

I agree that it sucks that we are looking at another coaching change, but you just can't continue to lose to teams Arkansas has historically rarely, if ever, lost to. That's just this business. Nobody in their right mind can reward that type of losing with continued employment.

It sucks, but Morris needs to start over somewhere else and Arkansas needs to try and hire someone to pull us out of this mess. At this point, the relationship isn't good for either party.

PorkSoda

« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2019, 02:33:08 pm »

This is a great thread because good points are made on both sides of the fence.  My concern is that changing a coach after 2 years is a self-imposed death penalty to the program.  You throw away 3 recruiting classes in a row.  That guarantees mediocrity for an extended period.  What I see in Morris is a coach who is learning on the job unfortunately while trying to be a CEO type who lets the assistants do their job.  I like a CEO type coach.  But every CEO has to put results above loyalty.  And if Morris is using the Clemson blueprint (and those fans were calling Dabo an experiment and for him to be fired after year 2 as well), then Morris' next step is to fire assistants, just like Dabo. 
I keep hearing this word, but I don't remember what its like.  If firing morris guarantees mediocrity for the next few years, Kick his but to the curb yesterday.

Muleriderhog

• Hogvillian
  • For the love of God, please hire Drinkwitz
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2019, 02:38:28 pm »

Sup Chad, you’re a clown and suck at coaching football.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas