• 10,544,452 Posts
• 415,537 Topics
• 23,816 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It would not matter if we had Belichick and Brady leading our team, until we get  (Read 1514 times)

DocHawg

an offensive line that is, at it's best, marginally better than a 7A West unit, we will not win many games.

mj4president

an offensive line that is, at it's best, marginally better than a 7A West unit, we will not win many games.

This, we need to hire someone and throw a war chest to bring Sam Pittman back. He could recruit some men.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

(notOM)Rebel123

Ha! No....those two would make a difference. We still wouldn’t beat the Bama’s of the world. But we would be a heck of a lot better.

I agree with your point though.

hawg IQ

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net

agreed, but you omitted a defense than ran essentially a passing zone against a team running the ball 80 percent of the time.

Junkyard Hog

Got a feeling they might find a way to beat Colorado St, North Texas, and San Jose St............

theFlyingHog

Got a feeling they might find a way to beat Colorado St, North Texas, and San Jose St............
Yeah OP is forgetting what COACHING will do for a team. Like, play to our players strengths

Formula Hog

When you get a coach knows how to have a plan to utilize the talent, the story changes dramatically. We have talent.

#1 STUNNA

When you get a coach knows how to have a plan to utilize the talent, the story changes dramatically. We have talent.
just not in the most important unit on a football team... We need to take on the transfer portal hard for any lineman with a pulse this off season...

GoHogs1091

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net Rocks!

It would matter if Belichick had better players here than he had at the Cleveland Browns, where Belichick was fired.

Tom Brady has made Belichick what Belichick is.  Without Brady, Belichick would be just another run-of-the mill NFL Head Coach.

LRHawg

• Hello darkness my old friend ...

We have 0 offensive linemen committed right now. This is part of the reason why I want Morris gone. He should be breaking down doors looking for OL.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

Yes, no.  If you look at our skill positions on offense other than QB we have about as talented a group as there is in the SEC.  We have arguably the best tight end.  We have a great running back.  Our freshman receivers are darned good.  I don’t care how bad the line is, we should be able to figure out a way to score more points than we do. 

The Allen boys were piñatas and punching bags back there and we still scored more points in that offense than we do now. 

The line is a problem, but it a huge overstatement to say that we’ll never be able to do anything unless it gets drastically better.  We have the tools to be significantly better than we are.  We would just rather dick around with trick plays and stupid stuff than learn to execute and call a good game plan.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....

Yes, no.  If you look at our skill positions on offense other than QB we have about as talented a group as there is in the SEC.  We have arguably the best tight end.  We have a great running back.  Our freshman receivers are darned good.  I don’t care how bad the line is, we should be able to figure out a way to score more points than we do. 

The Allen boys were piñatas and punching bags back there and we still scored more points in that offense than we do now. 

The line is a problem, but it a huge overstatement to say that we’ll never be able to do anything unless it gets drastically better.  We have the tools to be significantly better than we are.  We would just rather dick around with trick plays and stupid stuff than learn to execute and call a good game plan.

Not really, no.   They at least had some guys who played on Sundays blocking for them-- maybe not 5 at a time, but you could squint and see a P5 offensive line for the Allen eras.

You can't use any of the fancy tools in the toolbox, if the thing is falling apart every time you set it down.

EastArkHog 47

Offensive line is the most deficient part of this football team, if we were able to run the ball consistently it would open up the passing game and most of all would keep the defense off the field more. Kentucky had the ball almost a complete quarter more than Arkansas, round the numbers off and its 37-23 minutes, Kentucky. Defense was out of position some but they were also worn out.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian

Not really, no.   They at least had some guys who played on Sundays blocking for them-- maybe not 5 at a time, but you could squint and see a P5 offensive line for the Allen eras.

You can't use any of the fancy tools in the toolbox, if the thing is falling apart every time you set it down.

Clary will play on Sundays.  This line is not as bad as some of those that were here under Donuts.

Piggfoot

• Hog Table top cooker

This, we need to hire someone and throw a war chest to bring Sam Pittman back. He could recruit some men.
Hogville would ridicule Pittman about his being overweight everyday the way they did when he was here.

Tortfeasor

Too many want to look over the OL issue and bi*ch about something else. Could be argued our main issue right now is the OL. With a better OL we win AM and KY.

Piggfoot

• Hog Table top cooker

Clary will play on Sundays.  This line is not as bad as some of those that were here under Donuts.
I like Clary but he will need to improve greatly to make the NFL. I don't think he makes the All-SEC team.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY

Could they win 6 or 7 games this year

IceColdMintJulep

• Bench Warmer
  • It will feel better when it stops hurting

I think with Colton Jackson playing we would have beat KY. He will make a difference against Auburn, but not enough to win. I think if Morris has all his pieces that he thinks he can compensate for a weak line, but he doesn't have all the pieces that know all the playbook. That doesn't mean he should ignore the O-line though. I expect a few transfers for next year and a couple recruits. An SEC win would go a long way in netting one.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian

I like Clary but he will need to improve greatly to make the NFL. I don't think he makes the All-SEC team.

Clary at least has *some* of the tools you want in an OL.  I don't see him as an NFL guy, but guys have developed more in less time than he has left.

Stromberg is the best candidate for the next level, but just isn't physically ready in the way you want a lineman to be, with years in the program.

oldhog63

Totally disagree. If we had that coach and that QB we would be 6-0. For one thing, our defense would be schemed and executed properly. We would not be giving up points at the end of every half.  The OL might not be the best there is, but they are being put at disadvantages due to the play-calling. We are not playing to our strengths on either side of the ball.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian

The offensive line is good enough that we have the leading rusher in the SEC.

Keith_Dixon

• Varsity

Do you people watch the team play?  The Oline is one of of the most improved units.  It's far better than 2017 and 2018 units.  They are actually being taught to pass block and not run blocking on every play.  This Oline is plenty serviceable.  They make mistakes and have problems with dynamics, but it is coming together.  They are definitely not the worst position group.  The idea that this this team can't win with this Oline is ignorance.

BroyledNutts

I have serious concerns that, despite the perpetual excuse of lack of depth, our only O-line recruit in the coming class just decommitted.

Where is the recruiting efforts to build depth on the offensive (and defensive, for that matter) line?

EastArkHog 47

I think we only have zero o-line commits for 2020 and we don't have enough depth as is, if this team had an o-line like the 98 team or others during Nutt's tenure, we would be 6-0 at least 5-1.

mckinneyhog5

5 teams in the SEC have at least as bad or worse OL's then us, and two of them have already beat us. Is our OL the best? NO they aren't but they have been good enough not to have lost to SJSU, Ole Miss, A&M, and Kentucky. That's just a fact.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian

The offensive line is good enough that we have the leading rusher in the SEC.

Its in spite of, not because of that offensive line.

If Boyd wasn't a truly dynamic back, we'd be screwed.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian

Its in spite of, not because of that offensive line.

If Boyd wasn't a truly dynamic back, we'd be screwed.

Lol. Not true.

Our offensive line is so bad that it really doesn’t give up that many sacks and blocks for the leading rusher in the SEC. 

AlmaHog2011

Could they beat San Jose State?

AlmaHog2011

Do you people watch the team play?  The Oline is one of of the most improved units.  It's far better than 2017 and 2018 units.  They are actually being taught to pass block and not run blocking on every play.  This Oline is plenty serviceable.  They make mistakes and have problems with dynamics, but it is coming together.  They are definitely not the worst position group.  The idea that this this team can't win with this Oline is ignorance.

Go back and watch the last two plays against Kentucky. Then read what you wrote.

lasthog

Hogville would ridicule Pittman about his being overweight everyday the way they did when he was here.
We take it all back and are sorry.

lakecityhog

• Hogvillian

Guys, it's just too easy to blame the players! It is factual that we have the #1 rusher in the SEC and that 5 other teams have given up more sacks than us. There are things that an offensive scheme can do to help the O'Line, we just seldom do them.

It's not just the play calling, but the sequence of plays being called and the down/distance involved in the play calls. Instead of a long, slow developing pass on 3rd and 8 why not throw a quick slant and hope the receiver can break just 1 tackle to get the 1st down?? Lower risk, lower reward except that you have a much better chance of not getting sacked.

How often do we run using some misdirection? How many times have we seen a successful sweep early in the game and NEVER see it again? Put your players in the best place to be successful. A good example of this is the tunnel screen. Burks is one of our faster receivers, but he is by most accounts our BEST blocking receiver so what should he do on the tunnel screen? Catch the ball because of his size and speed? or should he be the guy blocking? This is too easy, he should be the blocker EVERY time! Does no good to catch the ball and be tackled immediately because the other receiver can't/won't block.

How many of you REALLY old guys remember Texas Tech and the screen pass? They would run that screen pass it seemed like half the time. They were good at it and man did it help with the pass rush. Teams had to slow down a bit just to keep from getting burned. That is just 1 way to help the O'Line. Little things that coaches do can help so much to even things out.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian

Lol. Not true.

Our offensive line is so bad that it really doesn’t give up that many sacks and blocks for the leading rusher in the SEC. 

Our QBs have actually done a decent job of throwing the ball away.  That factors into our relatively low completion percentages.

Take a look at all of the numbers-- pressures, hurries, QB hits-- we're at or near the bottom of all P5 schools, not just the SEC, in those numbers.

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'

Jimmy....  Johnson....  is the answer...

mckinneyhog5

Our QBs have actually done a decent job of throwing the ball away.  That factors into our relatively low completion percentages.

Take a look at all of the numbers-- pressures, hurries, QB hits-- we're at or near the bottom of all P5 schools, not just the SEC, in those numbers.
Really? Hicks takes 90% of the sacks because he holds the ball way too long or he ends up throwing it into the D-Line. He's scared and that's 100% on the coaches.
Also, where can you find the stats you mentioned  like hurries, pressure, or QB hits. Interested because I can't find those.

Rudy Baylor

• "Fire him and I'm coming home." Billy Ferrell

Do you people watch the team play?  The Oline is one of of the most improved units. 

Yes it is, and they played fine last Saturday.

Somebody just pulled this thread out of their butt.

And BTW, there's three Bielema guys starting on the OL even when Colton is out. I'm not a Bielema apologist, but we seriously still have people in this very thread whining about Bielema. In Oct 2019, whining about Bielema.

Why didn't Chad sign three ready-to-go junior college guys in the 2018 class? His first class?

Keith_Dixon

• Varsity

Go back and watch the last two plays against Kentucky. Then read what you wrote.

Right, cause a two play sample size is indicative of something profound. 

Rudy Baylor

the most glaring thing I see on the entire team is what seems to be a complete lack of route schemes

I don't use the phrase "playground routes" lightly. Sometimes it literally looks like we all did running around trying to get open on the playground in 5th grade.

but its' too easy to bitch about the offensive line instead I guess

Hog Fan...DOH!

• Your site for Razorback news.

Really? Hicks takes 90% of the sacks because he holds the ball way too long or he ends up throwing it into the D-Line. He's scared and that's 100% on the coaches.

He holds the ball because he's scared? 

Was it on your teacher when you failed Algebra for the 2nd time?  Or maybe it's the principal's fault for not saying the right things in public to encourage your teachers to teach you better. 

Hog Fan...DOH!

• Your site for Razorback news.

the most glaring thing I see on the entire team is what seems to be a complete lack of route schemes

I don't use the phrase "playground routes" lightly. Sometimes it literally looks like we all did running around trying to get open on the playground in 5th grade.

but its' too easy to bitch about the offensive line instead I guess

You just make up crap as you go. 

Rudy Baylor

Excellent point there. Well researched. Your complete lack of any specific example is just pure genius. Congratulations.

theFlyingHog

I see y’all do lots of cherry-picking in Alma. I didn’t even know you had cherries in Alma

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian

Also, where can you find the stats you mentioned  like hurries, pressure, or QB hits. Interested because I can't find those.

Most of them are presented during the live broadcasts, but a few are available from footballoutsiders.com

Hoggish1

Why was Pitt lost in the first place?  You don't keep a good position coach if the HC can't keep it together.

Tejano Jawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go West ern Kentucky, young man.

Yeah. Looking back you can see what we had, and when we started losing it. Regarding the Allens' time—

In Brandon's junior year, we had TWO thousand-yard running backs. In BA's senior year, if you look at some youtube highlights, he looks like one of the best quarterbacks that every played for us. At times, amazing.

In Austin's junior year, he threw for 400 yards on Alabama and had several solid games early on. Rawleigh was the top SEC rusher in the regular season. The cracks (of inconsistency) were beginning to get noticeable in this season. Austin started getting hit, and hit hard. The next year, we were getting beaten on the line most of the time. Austin barely survived. It was Bielema's last year.

So, now you can see where that o-line trajectory has left us. It's not our only problem, but it's the biggest. Just watch any good team on Saturday, and their ability to run an offense very close to how it's drawn up. The best quarterbacks aren't the ones who are completing 60+ percent of their passes with defenders hanging all over them.

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!

Even Pittman knew while he was here that it was a major-league difficult task getting great linemen to Arkansas. He had some disappointments that helped sour the deal here (not to mention things with Bielema going on). That's another thing that made the Georgia move intriguing for him. Don't forget, when things were turning paltry, he recruiting Colton Jackson. Maybe he could have coached him up better than he got these past four years. And his last "prize" recruit 4-star from Florida that the PA coaches didn't think could play, that guy retired without doing anything.

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!

There is a receiver who plays a lot who often makes the routes up as they go. I guess he's making up his own options.

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!

On the two biggest plays of the game, the guards were beaten one-on-one by the two Kentucky defenders who are overall probably their best defensive players. They had a lot of success but you're right, on plays like that, the mistakes become most glaring. No different than the quarterback playing great but throwing an interception right at a defender on what should be the game-winning drive. Why Arkansas's center wasn't helping a guard on one of those plays would be a question I'd have asked the line coach or Morris or Craddock on Monday, though. That was a tall task in that situation for either of those guys. The better players won the battle and their winning was critical to the failure by Arkansas on the plays.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.

Thats crazy. this team, right now, has more talent than Petrino's 5-7 season, for instance. You think these guys got 3 more wins in them?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas