• 10,546,561 Posts
• 415,604 Topics
• 23,821 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: If Chad goes 4-8  (Read 2703 times)

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
Re: If Chad goes 4-8
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2019, 11:18:19 am »

Time to make a change and the sooner the better. Itís not just Coach Morris. Itís also his coordinators and assistant coaches. They are a HUGE part of the losing. The problem is you canít fire and replace them because no HIGH QUALITY coach is going to risk their career on this sinking ship. The other issue is recruiting - he had 1 good class but now HIGH QUALITY recruits are avoiding our program. No good recruits + poor coaching = more losing and fan apathy.

The third issue is does anyone really think CCM has the network to for example, hire a quality OC?  Chief needed work after Sumlin was canned at aTm and we were his best, maybe only offer. I think after his time here he is destined to either retire or coach a couple more years at a low pressure program. Kansas feels like a good spot for him. I would also say the rest of the staff not tied to Chad are here because we were their best offer. Craddock, Fry, and the rest of the SMU carryovers who came with Chad seem to be the weakest staff links.

It seems our options for say, replacing Craddock will be somewhere between "OC or position coach within Chad's network" and "Meh-ish OC that either came available and we were his best/only offer".   Rhett Lashlee comes to mind, right or wrong. Seems to be doing okay at SMU this year but I think Sonny is running that ship.

gmarv

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2019, 11:32:21 am »

4 = he stays
3 = 50/50
2 = he is fired
A lot of people on here where projecting 4 wins as improvement before the s#@T hit the fan.So he probable gets his third year if he does that.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

davehog

« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2019, 12:34:53 pm »

The third issue is does anyone really think CCM has the network to for example, hire a quality OC?  Chief needed work after Sumlin was canned at aTm and we were his best, maybe only offer. I think after his time here he is destined to either retire or coach a couple more years at a low pressure program. Kansas feels like a good spot for him. I would also say the rest of the staff not tied to Chad are here because we were their best offer. Craddock, Fry, and the rest of the SMU carryovers who came with Chad seem to be the weakest staff links.

It seems our options for say, replacing Craddock will be somewhere between "OC or position coach within Chad's network" and "Meh-ish OC that either came available and we were his best/only offer".   Rhett Lashlee comes to mind, right or wrong. Seems to be doing okay at SMU this year but I think Sonny is running that ship.

This is EXACTLY the situation that a high quality AD comes in and helps with. Head coaches don't always have to be responsible for identifying coaching talent via their "coaching network". 

If CM is retained then there will almost surely have to be sacrificial lambs.  Chavis to me is an easy target and IMO should have been let go last Sunday morning after the performance against Kentucky.  Craddock is young and is basically a title only OC as this is CM's offense.  Hard to make him a scapegoat but if we could upgrade both coordinators in both coaching and recruiting why not do it. 

IMO, HY has two distinct paths right now that I suspect he's currently working on:

1. Keep CM, fire both coordinators.  Finding top coordinators is going to be an incredibly difficult sell for any quality individual but not impossible.
2. Fire CM, let the new guy figure out his own staff. Hopefully the next guy is more in a position to pull top coaching talent than CM has proven to do so far.

Each path has a financial cost to it and a general fan attitude component.  Look, if CM can get good to great coordinators in here then maybe we avoid firing yet another coach and starting over again.  He has shown the ability to recruit well so there's that still. 

Sivad

« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2019, 01:21:19 pm »

If Arkansas goes 4-8 this year, I believe Chad will get one more year, at least.
Hari-Kari

Tiredofhogssucking

• Varsity
  • Show of hands..who wants to throw flag against Ark
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2019, 01:26:40 pm »

If Arkansas goes 4-8 this year, I believe Chad will get one more year, at least.

If Chaz goes 4-8, someone must have forfeited or not shown up to play on Saturday.

jackel1h

• Varsity
  • You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take.
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2019, 02:24:17 pm »

Do we keep him? I mean, that would be improvement over last year.  All of our losses so far have been close games, so what would we do if he ends up pulling out four wins?

That's not gonna happen........ I don't think the Hogs will win another game.

AF1

« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2019, 02:28:46 pm »

I say he does. I think we will play Miss St, Mizzou, WKU close, which means we have a chance to win them.

Bacons Rebellion

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Pig puns are so boaring.
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2019, 04:19:13 pm »

If Chaz goes 4-8, someone must have forfeited or not shown up to play on Saturday.

You mean like the other team's two quarterbacks?

KCRazorbackfan

« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2019, 05:18:48 pm »

4 wins ainít gonna happen.....

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
  • She thinks my hawgs are sexy
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2019, 07:47:21 pm »

mostly it comes down to who they can line up for the job. You can bet there has been Agents calling to talk to our AD . Most O/c and D/c coaches and assistants are on 1 year contracts anyway so it might be easier to replace them

al_pigcino

« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2019, 07:55:20 am »

Has The Chad beat a team with an above .500 record in the last 2 years at the time we played them?

The remaining schedule has one team (MSU) that does not have a winning record at this point.  And they are 3-3.  But at least with 2 wins this year we can say one thing - he's consistent. 

Pork Twain

« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2019, 08:16:01 am »

I fully expect him to win at least one more and be retained one more year but he HAS to shake up his staff.

Fan1958

• Hogvillian
  • The Little Red Hen was obviously a conservative.
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2019, 08:52:20 am »

Hypothetically speaking....very hypothetically. I know I'll probably get slaughtered for this but, 
What if CCM and our beloved hogs win out?  SJSU wasn't supposed to beat us, Citadel wasn't ever supposed to beat us, UNT and CSU weren't ever supposed to beat us.  Upsets happen every week in college football.  What IF this team finally gets PO'd and wins some games.  I'm very doubtful this happens, but "what if?"  Wouldn't it be a great story?

Despite the loss to SJSU, if Arkansas wins out then Morris would have to be named coach of the year.  That would mean beating the teams currently ranked 1, 2, 11 and 22, ending 8-4 and a 5-3 conference record. And of course he would get another year, probably a big raise and contract extension and his buyout would be increased.

The more likely scenario is he wins one more, maybe two, and will still be here next year regardless of 3-9 or 4-8.

al_pigcino

« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2019, 09:49:56 am »

The more I think about it the more I realize............

If The Chad goes 4-8 he's coach of the year.  No way he can overcome Auburn, LSU, Alabama, Mississippi State, or Missouri.  There MIGHT be a slim shot at Mississippi State.  But we have to remember this is a team that beat Kentucky by 2 TD while they had an actual QB. 

MtPorker

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2019, 04:43:55 pm »

He can lose the rest of the games and he is not being fired.  why cant that fact be understood?  You cant change coaches every 2 years and think it will get better, it will not.

TexasHog

« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2019, 04:58:38 pm »

He can lose the rest of the games and he is not being fired.  why cant that fact be understood?  You cant change coaches every 2 years and think it will get better, it will not.

dayofthehawg1

« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2019, 04:59:52 pm »

4 and 8 would require a miracle.  In all seriousness, we arent even upset with Morris because he only beats the bad teams.  No.  We are upset because he beats no teams.  Not even the San Jose State team in Fayetteville.  4 and 8?  No way it happens. 

Hogwild

« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2019, 05:17:14 pm »

WKU game should be irrelevant

Irrelevant?  That would be the biggest win in his Arkansas tenure.

Aside from the two wins against FCS teams, he's beaten Tulsa, whose only wins were against Central, UCONN, & SMU, and Colorado St who just broke a 10 game losing streak to FBS schools.

CBS has Western Kentucky #69 just ahead of Stanford and VA Tech.  They are probably going to a bowl game.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/rankings/cbs-sports-ranking/

HogPharmer

« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2019, 05:43:14 pm »

I say he does. I think we will play Miss St, Mizzou, WKU close, which means we have a chance to win them.

Meh... Miss State and Mizzou beat us last year by a combined score of 90-6. I know Miss State is a completely different roster; but, unfortunately, we still have the same coaching staff... SHOULD at least the Miss State game be competitive? Absolutely. Will it? I'm not so sure.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2019, 05:50:11 pm »

Kelly Bryant is better than San Jose State's QB, and better than Kentucky's Lynn Bowden, Jr.

Ty Storey will be looking to prove a point.

Just going to be difficult to get 2 more wins.

TNRazorbacker

« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2019, 05:54:04 pm »

I think weíve got him through next year no matter what. He may be required to make changes at the end of the season, sacrifice a few heads to appease the masses, but thatís it.

Itís a no win situation for us at this point. Everyone can see the glaring signals he isnít going to cut it but the external optics of axing him this early looks bad and the continual turnover hurts as well. At least after another year it sets up better for finding a good candidate.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 07:38:14 pm by TNRazorbacker »

Marshfieldhog

« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2019, 06:20:36 pm »

Morris should have won 4 last year and 6 this
Year. He is such a poor coach you guys think 4 is some achievement.

He should have beaten Colorado State, North Texas, and Ole Miss last year. That would have been 5.

This guy is just a high school level coach. Never even beaten a P5 team in 5 years.

pghawg1

« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2019, 06:25:25 pm »

If the coaching was good we could be 4-2 or 5-1 now !

lasthog

« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2019, 06:34:34 pm »

If we do go 4-8, I think we do keep Morris another year. However, I think that's about as likely as me getting hired as the QB coach.
Well, I do think there's a need.

AFWarrior83

« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2019, 06:36:55 pm »

Honestly, I think heís safe no matter how the season unfolds. He already survived an embarrassing loss to San Diego State, and there is little sign of improvement compared to last year.

Next year his job will be on the line, and I think he will be fired if he doesnít get Arkansas to a bowl game.

pghawg1

« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2019, 06:41:22 pm »

I am afraid next year we will set a all time record on season ticket sales. That is sad.

Killean

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Chaos From Order
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2019, 06:48:48 pm »

I think people aren't giving enough credit to how devastating a loss to Western Kentucky would be.

Western Kentucky LOST to UCA.

Western Kentucky is being led by Ty Storey.. a QB that Chad Morris got rid of.

PorkSoda

« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2019, 07:23:20 pm »

I think people aren't giving enough credit to how devastating a loss to Western Kentucky would be.

Western Kentucky LOST to UCA.

Western Kentucky is being led by Ty Storey.. a QB that Chad Morris got rid of.

It doesn't get more poetic.

Jonbo

« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2019, 07:46:40 pm »

I know we're just kicking things around but I always come back to the same point.

Once you've determined CCM is not "The Guy," then every second we spend with him as Head Coach is a second we don't spend finding someone who might be.

As for buyouts, assistant changes, reshuffling, etc? If you put a new driveline in a jalopy? You still have a jalopy. In my opinion, it's time to forget spending $$$, other than for disposal, on this ride.

And if you're doing that? Do it now.
I completely agree.

jgphillips3

• Where are they now the little people of Stonehenge
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2019, 07:51:18 pm »

I think 4-8 and a decent showing against one of Alabama, LSU or Auburn would save HIS job but the OC and probably OL coach will have to be sacrificed unless recruiting shoots through the roof on the OL between now and signing day.  3-9 is a maybe.  I donít think anybody would survive back to back 2-10 records, especially when a QB you ran off would be one of those losses.

Jonbo

« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2019, 07:52:00 pm »

I think weíve got him through next year no matter what. He may be required to make changes at the end of the season, sacrifice a few heads to appease the masses, but thatís it.

Itís a no win situation for us at this point. Everyone can see the glaring signals he isnít going to cut it but the external optics of axing him this early looks bad and the continual turnover hurts as well. At least after another year it sets up better for finding a good candidate.
I don't think the bolded above is the case. I believe that the entire football world can see he simply has not cut it to this time. Everyone, player's, prospects, the college coaching world would have respect for the decision if Arkansas fired him tomorrow. At this time in his career, Chad Morris has reached the level of his incompetence. The entire world knows it except for perhaps, understandably, him.

Hogaholism

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2019, 08:08:39 pm »

I guess so but he would have to make some staff changes for quality coaches that aren't being pulled from off the field potions or who is eligible for Social Security
recruiting gets even more volatile and who of an upgraded assistant coach would want to be a part of this failure for a guarantee of only one year ?   

PorkSoda

« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2019, 08:12:30 pm »

recruiting gets even more volatile and who of an upgraded assistant coach would want to be a part of this failure for a guarantee of only one year ?   
right?  if morris gets a 3rd year, I doubt he wastes it on shuffling assistants.  he will sink or swim with the staff he built.

but at this point, a 3rd year is a big if.  He needs to keep the team together and playing hard.  I think he needs 4 wins and to be competitive in loses.

Hogaholism

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2019, 08:37:28 pm »

right?  if morris gets a 3rd year, I doubt he wastes it on shuffling assistants.  he will sink or swim with the staff he built.

but at this point, a 3rd year is a big if.  He needs to keep the team together and playing hard.  I think he needs 4 wins and to be competitive in loses.
hogs need four wins to guarantee he gets a third year & that's just not gonna happen...hogs have perennial top 20 recruiting classes...it's coaching

dayofthehawg1

« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2019, 08:41:09 pm »

1 win over W Kentucky and 0 wins in conf should get him fired.  That will not sell tickets.

FiveIronFrenzy

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2019, 09:21:46 pm »

Listen to yourselves.  This is the same narrative in Jump Ball last year.  If you have to have the conversation of whether someone is doing a good enough job to avoid termination YOU'VE ALREADY LOST. 

I donít care if itís 2-10, 3-9, 4-8. Time to move on. 

HogFan1973

« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2019, 11:07:19 pm »

Where is this team going to win 2 more games?

Philip Seaton

• Global Moderator
  • Hogvillian
  • "Hazard Yet Forward"
« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2019, 07:21:39 am »

Do we keep him? I mean, that would be improvement over last year.  All of our losses so far have been close games, so what would we do if he ends up pulling out four wins?

Arkansas will not go 4-8 so there really is no need to contemplate that scenario.

Pork Twain

« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2019, 07:28:55 am »

Arkansas will not go 4-8 so there really is no need to contemplate that scenario.
Arkansas will be VERY lucky to win one more

SMB Hogfan

« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2019, 07:30:58 am »

Honestly, I think heís safe no matter how the season unfolds. He already survived an embarrassing loss to San Diego State, and there is little sign of improvement compared to last year.

Next year his job will be on the line, and I think he will be fired if he doesnít get Arkansas to a bowl game.
Have you looked the schedule? There aren't six wins on it. So, why put off what will be the inevitable end. Anyone that follows football has seen more than enough to see that he is in way over his head.

Hog Red

« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2019, 07:47:23 am »

2018 Non conference schedule
Eastern IL
Co St
N Texas
Tulsa
-------------Won 2

2019 Non Conference
Portland St
Co St
San Jose St
Western Ky
-------------may win 3

4 wins should have been the minimum this year.  Morris shouldn't stay with 3 wins. It's like supporting a family on $7.00 an hour and the next year going to $7.50 an hour. Tired of making pennies. Time to get a new job (coach).

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas