• 10,554,409 Posts
• 415,778 Topics
• 23,843 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: If Chad goes 4-8  (Read 2711 times)

Memhogs

• Varsity
  • What time does Arkansas play?
If Chad goes 4-8
« on: October 16, 2019, 07:38:56 am »

Do we keep him? I mean, that would be improvement over last year.  All of our losses so far have been close games, so what would we do if he ends up pulling out four wins?

afhogfan1980

• Varsity
  • Settling for mediocrity is #uncommon
Re: If Chad goes 4-8
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 07:41:04 am »

Do we keep him? I mean, that would be improvement over last year.  All of our losses so far have been close games, so what would we do if he ends up pulling out four wins?
negative we havenít played a team with a winning record that speaks for the improvement of he stays he needs to hire the best offensive line coach recruiter that is available

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Dark Helmet Hog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 07:42:25 am »

I have no confidence that we will win another game.

nate1283

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 07:44:55 am »

Hypothetically speaking....very hypothetically. I know I'll probably get slaughtered for this but,  What if CCM and our beloved hogs win out?  SJSU wasn't supposed to beat us, Citadel wasn't ever supposed to beat us, UNT and CSU weren't ever supposed to beat us.  Upsets happen every week in college football.  What IF this team finally gets PO'd and wins some games.  I'm very doubtful this happens, but "what if?"  Wouldn't it be a great story? 

Snouty

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 07:47:01 am »

If Arkansas goes 4-8 this year, I believe Chad will get one more year, at least.

Hogwild

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 07:48:12 am »

4 wins he gets another season, 3 wins he probably gets another season.   If he loses out, doubt he stays.

Snouty

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 07:48:30 am »

Hypothetically speaking....very hypothetically. I know I'll probably get slaughtered for this but,  What if CCM and our beloved hogs win out?  SJSU wasn't supposed to beat us, Citadel wasn't ever supposed to beat us, UNT and CSU weren't ever supposed to beat us.  Upsets happen every week in college football.  What IF this team finally gets PO'd and wins some games.  I'm very doubtful this happens, but "what if?"  Wouldn't it be a great story? 

In that case he gets a raise and a contract extension and an increased buyout.  Hypothetically.

afhogfan1980

• Varsity
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 07:52:26 am »

Well if they want to get poed this is the week witlow is out and and nix isnít even much better than our qbs show us somthing

anonymous_bosch

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 07:54:08 am »

If we do go 4-8, I think we do keep Morris another year. However, I think that's about as likely as me getting hired as the QB coach.

Lanny

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 07:54:31 am »

yes

HogFan4Eva

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 07:55:43 am »

afhogfan1980

• Varsity
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 07:56:46 am »

If we do go 4-8, I think we do keep Morris another year. However, I think that's about as likely as me getting hired as the QB coach.
I tend to agree with you

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 07:57:45 am »

Where are the other 2 wins going to come from?

Not a given that he will even win against Western Kentucky.  Supposedly, Western Kentucky is better than San Jose State.

SMB Hogfan

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 08:05:27 am »

Where are the other 2 wins going to come from?

Not a given that he will even win against Western Kentucky.  Supposedly, Western Kentucky is better than San Jose State.
If he loses to WKU; he gets it in the tunnel after the game.

hawg IQ

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 08:14:17 am »

If Arkansas goes 4-8 this year, I believe Chad will get one more year, at least.
just be prolonging the inevitable. He is not and never will be the man.

Snouty

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 08:18:30 am »

Can't really disagree with you, but I believe he would not be fired if we go 4-8.

go hogues

• You're at an eight but we need you at a two.
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 08:18:52 am »

He's not going to beat MSU, so that leaves WKU. Our Chicago Cubs-like history of cursedness all but assures us a loss to Ty Storey and WKU.

hoglady

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2019, 08:19:35 am »

Morris has been lucky so far this year that every team we've played so far (minus the Aggies) are terrible. Which has allowed us to lose close games instead of getting slaughtered.

Bacons Rebellion

• Pig puns are so boaring.
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2019, 08:29:14 am »

Yes. Lot of fans won't like it, but he's doubled the wins from the previous season and won an SEC game. Several losses were close.

I've been pounding the table that the continuous close losses are condemning of coaching, but a more conventional view says close means better coaching than a rout.

Nothing is straightforward in this, though -- our fears mass recruiting and player defections  could come true -- or say Bama, Auburn and LSU each drum us by 60.

2-10, no way, of course.

3-9, my feeling is he goes, but it probably depends on the recruiting / retention situation.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2019, 08:36:20 am »

WKU game should be irrelevant

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2019, 08:41:43 am »

Yes. But it might depend on who they win or lose too. The most scenario is maybe beating MSU and WSU. If he beats any One of the remaining Conference foes and loses to WSU I 'd suspect he might be gone.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2019, 08:43:16 am »

WKU game should be irrelevant

Not sure why you say that. I think that's the must win for him. Even at the start of the season nobody really gave him a chance to beat any of the remaining SEC teams except perhaps MSU.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2019, 08:44:33 am »

Lanny,
What about just 3?

My answer is no.

al_pigcino

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2019, 08:47:44 am »

IF he makes it to 4 wins he would have doubled last year's output.  100% improvement = keeps his job for a bit. 

He won't make 4 wins this year.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2019, 08:48:57 am »

4 = he stays
3 = 50/50
2 = he is fired

The NewEra

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2019, 08:53:29 am »

Yes, I do believe so.

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2019, 09:04:32 am »

What about just 3?

I believe another win gives the PTB an "out" to keep him one more year under the guise of technically showing improvement but with the understanding that staff changes must be made.  Same thing for 4 wins.

I believe the money and decision making factions will be too unaligned (shocking), if we get another win or two, to pull the trigger on another search. Even without another win, some will hang their hat on "showing improvement may not be indicative in the record", some will hang their hat on "financial feasibility being more advantageous after one more season", and others will hang their hat on, "we fired MA for better results albeit in a longer tenure".  The biggest headwind for a new coach is our good ol small factions of money and decision making folk that take quite a while to even remotely get on the same page about things.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 09:17:03 am by Boardon Hamsay »

rhames

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2019, 09:05:53 am »

4 = he stays
3 = 50/50
2 = he is fired

I'd put the odds at 75/25 he stays if he wins 3

davehog

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2019, 09:08:08 am »

Regardless of the final win total, the main issue with CM now is he's perceived as a lame duck and therefore recruiting/player attrition/motivation/etc. are all going the wrong way. 

CM had to win this year to keep the momentum and recruiting sales strategy going.  The main thing that CM could sell to recruits was early playing time but he's nullified that as a selling point by how he's managed playing time since he's been here. He didn't institute a "youth movement" last year and so far this year he hasn't done it either.

CM has clearly shown that he's incapable of the finer points of managing a college football program at this level.  It's not just about the wins and losses.

razback

• Varsity
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2019, 09:10:06 am »

I think he has to win at least one SEC game AND beat Western Kentucky. That's a 4-8 season which is a minuscule improvement.  If he can't pull that off, I believe he's outta' here!

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2019, 09:11:12 am »

4 = he stays
3 = 50/50
2 = he is fired
This

Ironhawg

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2019, 09:16:11 am »

So far Morris and his staff have shown zero ability to prepare this team to play, zero ability in managing their personnel and zero ability in making in-game decisions and adjustments.  The defense in the Kentucky game was a nightmare.  They knew what UK was going to do and stood by and let it happen again and again and again!  In my mind this is the biggest indictment of this staff; we keep seeing the same problems and errors and they say they will get the problems fixed, but they never do! 
IMHO keeping him another year just ensures another losing season and another lost recruiting class.  The only reason to keep him another season is if you need time to secure your primary target for a replacement.  If you can secure his replacement and make the pay out, cut the cord.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 09:26:57 am by Ironhawg »

hog of steele

• Yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2019, 09:32:03 am »

4 = he stays
3 = 50/50
2 = he is fired

This is how I see it as well.

Dropkick

• I'm somewhere in the middle
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2019, 09:40:13 am »

I think he is coming back no matter the record. Iím letting my season tickets go either way. Live in NEA and canít get up there for all the games. Used to be able to sell ones I couldnít use for face value. Now lucky to get pennies on the dollar. I have no confidence we would make a good hire in any event.

Supermark101

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2019, 09:47:43 am »

No MAN will come here when you fire a guy 2 years into a major rebuild, especially if there is an improved win total. IF he wins 4 he absolutely should stay.

Hawginj

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2019, 09:48:41 am »

No MAN will come here when you fire a guy 2 years into a major rebuild, especially if there is an improved win total. IF he wins 4 he absolutely should stay.
No one thing said here is correct!

texas tush hog

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2019, 09:49:03 am »

I think he is coming back no matter the record. Iím letting my season tickets go either way. Live in NEA and canít get up there for all the games. Used to be able to sell ones I couldnít use for face value. Now lucky to get pennies on the dollar. I have no confidence we would make a good hire in any event.

This!!!!!! 45 years  is enough. 368 miles is getting old for a miserable product. Taking my grand daughters to Disneyworld with the savings before I die.

LRHawg

• Team Norvell
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2019, 09:49:18 am »

Not sure how Morris is going to find 2 more wins, when he's already lost the winnable ones. We probably have a 60% chance of beating WKU to make 3. 

SDZ_Hog

• Senior
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2019, 09:51:25 am »

I guess so but he would have to make some staff changes for quality coaches that aren't being pulled from off the field potions or who is eligible for Social Security   

BILLYBOB

• Youíll get nothing and like it
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2019, 10:00:34 am »

Time to make a change and the sooner the better. Itís not just Coach Morris. Itís also his coordinators and assistant coaches. They are a HUGE part of the losing. The problem is you canít fire and replace them because no HIGH QUALITY coach is going to risk their career on this sinking ship. The other issue is recruiting - he had 1 good class but now HIGH QUALITY recruits are avoiding our program. No good recruits + poor coaching = more losing and fan apathy.

McKdaddy

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2019, 10:03:16 am »

Yes, IMO, 4 wins is all I anticipated coming into this season.

ArkieBacon

• Varsity
  • HogBall Tue. Nov. 12 @ 7:00 PM
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2019, 10:05:00 am »

I don't think we will go 4-8, but if we do it's going to change things.
CCM will more than likely stay and the battle of getting him out of here will be harder and longer.

Pennywise

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2019, 10:07:13 am »

When coach B was fired, I was terrified of what kind of coach would come here. I often presented the question to rah rah people who wanted coach B gone with the question, "Who is going to come and coach Arkansas?"

Typical responses

A. We have the checkbook to get whoever we want!
B. Look at our facilities, location, Fayetteville.....we can get a top notch coach here.
C. We are a sleeping giant national power in the SEC....any coach would want to come here and turn this ship around.

Welcome to Fayetteville, Coach Chad Morris.

Ironhawg

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2019, 10:08:47 am »

Time to make a change and the sooner the better. Itís not just Coach Morris. Itís also his coordinators and assistant coaches. They are a HUGE part of the losing. The problem is you canít fire and replace them because no HIGH QUALITY coach is going to risk their career on this sinking ship. The other issue is recruiting - he had 1 good class but now HIGH QUALITY recruits are avoiding our program. No good recruits + poor coaching = more losing and fan apathy.

This is a hard truth.  Some of Morris' staff are not equal to the task, but what good coach in their right mind would step into this mess?  I fear we are very far down the road from being Arkansas and becoming Rice or Kansas.

Calvin Swine

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2019, 10:14:40 am »

4 = he stays
3 = 50/50
2 = he is fired

This.  I predict he'll win 3, have a competitive game with a higher tiered opponenet (AU, Bama, or LSU) and be blown out by one of those.  That'll muddy the water just enough to give him a 3rd year and we'll only win 3 games in 2020.  Why?  Because we seem to only excel in dumb decision making and angst. 

HenduHog

• Razorbacks: Hostile and mobile
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2019, 10:27:59 am »

Personally, I have no confidence he can prepare a team to beat WKU or Miss-take   He had TWO WEEKS to get ready for Ky and look what we saw.

And people who say, "But we almost won." No we lost a VERY winnable game because of total lack of preparation. That should have been a 2 to 3 TD win.

Seebs

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2019, 10:31:00 am »

Arkansas did not lose to San Jose State.

CCM lost to San Jose State.

That is coaching, game readiness and being plugged into your player's psyche.

He is not a developed or unique coach. CCM is not worth keeping and removing the cancer early is better than letting it grow.   He does not have the answer.

OkieBack

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2019, 10:33:46 am »

4-8 would surprise some folks and with that record that would mean Morris got his first SEC win.  I'm not sure what changes would be warranted with 4 wins.  5 wins was where I was shooting and that probably isn't going to happen now unless this staff/team have a light bulb go off in the locker room and they start playing like fans thought they could play.

I_Called_That_Play_Brotha

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2019, 10:35:46 am »

I know we're just kicking things around but I always come back to the same point.

Once you've determined CCM is not "The Guy," then every second we spend with him as Head Coach is a second we don't spend finding someone who might be.

As for buyouts, assistant changes, reshuffling, etc? If you put a new driveline in a jalopy? You still have a jalopy. In my opinion, it's time to forget spending $$$, other than for disposal, on this ride.

And if you're doing that? Do it now.

code red

• You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2019, 10:45:42 am »

Lets see....our defense gives up almost 200 yds to a running WR (@Q) and allows him to throw a TD pass.....how in the world would anyone think we could beat any team with a competent QB?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas