• 10,630,435 Posts
• 417,129 Topics
• 24,413 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ainít this a Helluva Note?  (Read 3392 times)

NWA Hog

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
Ainít this a Helluva Note?
« on: October 15, 2019, 11:14:31 pm »

Iíve been watching the series on the history of the SEC. Great stuff, btw. Makes me appreciate and value the history and traditions of the conference that weíre a member of.

It also pissed me off.

We too are a proud program, or at least we once were. I could go on and on, listing and talking about the great players and coaches who were Razorbacks, and who contributed to our history in meaningful, positive ways. No need to, though; you know them as well as I do.

And here we sit in the middle of this damn mess, four wins in our last 14 games and 11 SEC losses in a row, expecting to (again) get the hell beat out of us by Auburn, Alabama, and LSU. Counting Missouri as a loss (again). Hoping like hell that we can slip by a bad Mississippi State team and then not lose to Western Kentucky.

Want to talk about ďunacceptable?Ē

Thatís unacceptable.

Never should have hired him to begin with, and should not tolerate where we are now.

b501

Re: Ainít this a Helluva Note?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 11:42:41 pm »

and should not tolerate where we are now.

Agree 110%

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

bondhue

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 11:48:02 pm »

Just keep firing people till we get where we think we should be.

That will fix everything.

HardCore

• Hogvillian
  • Was it good for you too, Leo?
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 11:57:26 pm »

Perhaps we should just keep the status quo and be bottom feeders for the next millennium.

bondhue

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 12:00:11 am »

How many football coaches have we fired in a row?  Nutt, Petrino, Smith, Bielema, Morris.  Five.  Five in a row.

Please, next coach, come here.  The number six is lucky at Arkansas..

Sorry, after four you have to admit it's you and not the coach.

HogFan4Eva

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 12:04:08 am »

How many football coaches have we fired in a row?  Nutt, Petrino, Smith, Bielema, Morris.  Five.  Five in a row.

So you want to keep the coach that canít win a game against a power 5 opponent, keep recruits committed, keep current players on the team, find a quarterback, or hire quality assistants?

jkstock04

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 12:08:09 am »

Terrible post. 2/5 of those were actually fired.

bondhue

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 12:09:26 am »

So you want to keep the coach that canít win a game against a power 5 opponent, keep recruits committed, keep current players on the team, find a quarterback, or hire quality assistants?
No, I want to fire another coach.  It's what we are best at.  Who could you name that is better??

bondhue

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 12:18:49 am »

Terrible post. 2/5 of those were actually fired.

How many coaches have we not rehired in a row?  Five.  Five in a row.  Please come be number six.  Number six in 12 years.  Or is it 13 or is it 14?  Some genius will nit pick.

Rudy Baylor

• Striking fear into Hogville one bobble at a time
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 12:34:20 am »

Thatís unacceptable.

Never should have hired him to begin with
, and should not tolerate where we are now.

I got a two week ban back in the summer for saying that same thing

bondhue

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 12:45:13 am »

Maybe UA should hire the ASU search committee this time.  They seem to find good coaches that only stay a year.

bondhue

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 12:54:23 am »

Maybe UA should hire the ASU search committee this time.  They seem to find good coaches that only stay a year.
That way nobody has to fail to rehire anybody.

lakecityhog

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 06:25:18 am »

Nit picking genius here, we hired H Nutt in 1998 so we are sitting at around 20 years. I believe that 5 coaches in 20 years is about 4 years average stay.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/average-sec-head-coaching-tenure/

The all-time coaching length of tenure in the SEC ranges from 5.1 years to 3.3 years. Alabama is is #6 and Texas A&M is #7 at 4.4 and 4.3 years respectively. Our problem is not firing coaches, our problem is hiring the right coach. Counting JL Smith is a bit of a twist since he was hired only as an interim with a 1 year contract.

Hiring Smith was probably the biggest blunder of the last 20 years because it led to the failed BB experiment. Our failure was at the very top of the UA leadership in allowing John White to usurp Broyles power and to hire Jeff Long. Long is a Business Manager and I believe that Yurachek is an Athletic Director, time will tell.

The OTR

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Saw this guy hanging around the bus station today
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 06:40:57 am »

And you deserved every day of it.  Needed to give this old boy this season to see what he could do before spouting off like that. 

Youíll never learn. Never.

Now itís okay to say how you feel so letís hear it. Quit molly coddling him and everyone else in here for once.

ricepig

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 06:49:48 am »

And you deserved every day of it.  Needed to give this old boy this season to see what he could do before spouting off like that. 

Now itís okay to say how you feel so letís hear it. Quit molly coddling him and everyone else in here for once.

I agree 100%, Rudy shouldnít hold back his feelings. By the way, how come your posts are 100% spot on in MMQB, and totally the opposite in DST?

razorpimp

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 06:52:44 am »

What the UofA needs is a coach that has a specific plan to put out this dumpster fire and get the ship headed in the right direction.  We need a coach that red shirts a high number of players to get them bigger, stronger to compete in the SEC.  someone that comes in and says we have a huge mess here but this is specifically how we will get out of it!

The OTR

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 06:53:53 am »

I agree 100%, Rudy shouldnít hold back his feelings. By the way, how come your posts are 100% spot on in MMQB, and totally the opposite in DST?

Split personality.  I think I caught a case of it it right here in mmqb.  Itís going around.

ricepig

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2019, 06:56:10 am »

Split personality.  I think I caught a case of it it right here in mmqb.  Itís going around.

It helps in these trying times, for sure.

ricepig

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2019, 06:57:28 am »

What the UofA needs is a coach that has a specific plan to put out this dumpster fire and get the ship headed in the right direction.  We need a coach that red shirts a high number of players to get them bigger, stronger to compete in the SEC.  someone that comes in and says we have a huge mess here but this is specifically how we will get out of it!

They all say that in the introductory PC, we need one who has actually done it and won a P5 game.

bigred223

• Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2019, 07:03:40 am »

Talk about a dumb post. Nutt was here for a decade, went to Sec championship a couple of times. Petrino had a lot of success but forced himself out by acting like a moron. Smith was an interim coach. BB here 5 years, wasnít good. Now Chad is bordering on the worst two seasons in school history.

It is very clearly a coaching problem. Your post is a weak attempt to pass blame elsewhere.

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2019, 07:05:02 am »

Its too bad those of us who questioned and doubted the hire to begin with have been ridiculed, name-called and in some cases silenced.

ricepig

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2019, 07:11:47 am »

Its too bad those of us who questioned and doubted the hire to begin with have been ridiculed, name-called and in some cases silenced.

Ah man, we would have done that to you, no matter the post/coach....... 8)

The OTR

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2019, 07:28:11 am »

Itís okay now.  Fire away .

afhogfan1980

• Varsity
  • Settling for mediocrity is #uncommon
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2019, 07:31:02 am »

I would find a coach from Arkansas and let him coach the sec is unattainable till Saban retires Iíd love to see Kevin kelly get a shot with a stipulation as a co head coach with an established head coach that only wants to coach a few years till retirement somone like butch  Davis or Larry Coker just to sort of give him on job training for a few seasons than turning over to him permanently 

NWA Hog

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2019, 07:31:38 am »

True, true. Then again, back in the summer we hadnít lost to San Jose State, been beaten by a Kentucky team that had a wide receiver at quarterback, and started losing commits and current players. All of those things are pieces of evidence.

Then again, this board - this thread - isnít about you or me; itís about our program.

go hogues

• You're at an eight but we need you at a two.
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2019, 08:11:35 am »

Are you Hogsanity's dual account? We've had some pretty screwy scenarios:

- Nutt was there 10 seasons but the Malzahn/Springdale thing happened. His family lost their cool and began harassing an 18 year old. Where else does that happen? Quit on his own.
- Petrino was riding high and literally bit the dust. Where else does that happen? Fired with cause.
- Smith was interim. Can't really count him.
- Bielema was a drunk and lost his team. Fired without cause.
- Story is not completely written on Morris yet - but roster management, gamely preparedness, losing to bad G5 teams and losing recruits are not great looks.

It's a stretch to say it's us and not the coach. We have the facilities, the fan support and the money to be at very least, a mid-tier SEC program.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2019, 08:30:35 am »

JLS was an interim coach.  Counting him at all is [CENSORED] stupid.

We've fired 3 coaches for job performance since playing our first SEC game (I'm not counting Crowe). 
Ford 5 seasons (not counting his '92 season as a consultant)
Nutt 10 seasons
Bielema 5 seasons

Nearly everything has an exception.  This situation is the exception to not wanting to fire a coach quickly and showing patience. 

lumphog

• I love this picture
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2019, 08:34:47 am »

. Thatís HOW you fix it

SeldomHere

• My all-time favorite gender.
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2019, 09:23:02 am »

Everybody had an opportunity to keep the job, it was on them to keep it.

Has Morris been fired? Not yet, but probably will be.

Bielema quit coaching, had to be fired. He should of worked out but had a bigger ego than Petrino.

Petrino fired himself.

Smith was interim, he completed his contract.

Nutt Fired.

Ford Fired.

Crowe Fired.

Holtz Fired.

Broyles retired.

farmhawg

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2019, 09:27:40 am »

Brilliant.

ArkieBacon

Re: Ain’t this a Helluva Note?
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2019, 09:47:31 am »

someone that comes in and says we have a huge mess here but this is specifically how we will get out of it!

Yes. I wish it were that easy. HY should hold out for this type of coach.
Accept nothing less, or else, we'll be right  back here in 2-3 years.

007 License To Squeal

• Global Moderator
  • Fmr USAF Combat Crew Titan II Launch Crew Member
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2019, 09:49:51 am »

"Incompetence should never be rewarded with blind loyalty"....

hogtilicus

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2019, 09:50:03 am »

Z

Svrdhd

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2019, 10:10:33 am »

Nothing new has happened this year, just a continuation of what was going on last year. Some people saw it and pointed it out early.

No one should have been banned for pointing out the obvious, even when itís not the majority opinion.

Pennywise

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2019, 10:16:31 am »

Iíve been watching the series on the history of the SEC. Great stuff, btw. Makes me appreciate and value the history and traditions of the conference that weíre a member of.

It also pissed me off.

We too are a proud program, or at least we once were. I could go on and on, listing and talking about the great players and coaches who were Razorbacks, and who contributed to our history in meaningful, positive ways. No need to, though; you know them as well as I do.

And here we sit in the middle of this damn mess, four wins in our last 14 games and 11 SEC losses in a row, expecting to (again) get the hell beat out of us by Auburn, Alabama, and LSU. Counting Missouri as a loss (again). Hoping like hell that we can slip by a bad Mississippi State team and then not lose to Western Kentucky.

Thatís unacceptable.

Never should have hired him to begin with, and should not tolerate where we are now.

Agreed. This guy should have never been hired to come in here as a science experiment.

Jerry Jones+stephen jones+Highland park football+JSJ+chandler morris+Dallas Metro area rich folks+Chad Morris+SMU= An absolute shat show of a hire for the Arkansas Razorbacks.

Rudy Baylor

• Striking fear into Hogville one bobble at a time
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2019, 10:19:45 am »

Look pimp, you and Wilson and ricepig can try and hold me down, but I'm building a cult following on here and when the numbers finally swing in my direction for good, I'm going to cash it all in with Lanny for an admin position on Hogville.

Then I'm going to unleash hell, like Russell Crowe said in Gladiator before he sent his army after those toothless Gauls.

Pennywise

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2019, 10:20:24 am »

That's the way it works. The hogville "frat" will quickly block you, label you, report you, call you a troll, and just like that you are banned.

Questioning a mediocre hire is in bounds. Especially when we have only won 4 games under him.

The issue is, I am not sure there is anyone that knows how to fix this mess. I certainly don't have any faith in the BOT/PTB/GOBN.

LRHawg

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2019, 10:24:31 am »

Agreed. This guy should have never been hired to come in here as a science experiment.

Jerry Jones+stephen jones+Highland park football+JSJ+chandler morris+Dallas Metro area rich folks+Chad Morris+SMU= An absolute shat show of a hire for the Arkansas Razorbacks.

Ties to the Dallas Metro with the RIGHT coach would pay off huge. Our alumni base is big in Texas, and there's plenty of recruits to be gotten there, if we only could get our program back out of the ditch and on the road.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2019, 10:26:19 am »

Never enough depth to red shirt kids coming in, especially at LB and the OL. Look how many true fr have had to start at MLB at least 1 game each of the last 10 or so seasons. Look at how many Fr have had to play on the OL and at db. I agree, someone needs to bite the bullet and just say we are red shirting all the linemen and all the lb's. We are going to build depth here and that is step 1.

Pennywise

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2019, 10:29:19 am »

Ties to the Dallas Metro with the RIGHT coach would pay off huge. Our alumni base is big in Texas, and there's plenty of recruits to be gotten there, if we only could get our program back out of the ditch and on the road.

Defend it all you want. Hiring a guy who rubs elbows with Frankuh, Jr in Dallas was the biggest demise in the coaching hire IMO.

Same ole 1964 mentality calling the shots in the 2019 SEC landscape.....tisk tisk.

The OTR

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2019, 02:37:03 pm »

That's the way it works. The hogville "frat" will quickly block you, label you, report you, call you a troll, and just like that you are banned.

Questioning a mediocre hire is in bounds. Especially when we have only won 4 games under him.

The issue is, I am not sure there is anyone that knows how to fix this mess. I certainly don't have any faith in the BOT/PTB/GOBN.

It's okay to blast away at the coach as long as you know when it's okay.  Gotta read the signs and signals.  There comes a point when everyone turns on the coach and at that point it's okay to sucker punch away on our coach on this message board.  Blast him too early and you're gonna get it.  But I think I can safely say the day is now here where anything goes. 

You'll learn one of these days I guess.

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2019, 02:41:48 pm »

Look pimp, you and Wilson and ricepig can try and hold me down, but I'm building a cult following on here and when the numbers finally swing in my direction for good, I'm going to cash it all in with Lanny for an admin position on Hogville.

Then I'm going to unleash hell, like Russell Crowe said in Gladiator before he sent his army after those toothless Gauls.
avatar change to reflect this movement.

sooie dog

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2019, 02:54:00 pm »

You probably LOVE the Washington Generals don't you!

grayhawg

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2019, 03:01:14 pm »

It also pissed me off.

Thatís unacceptable.

You are correct sir, and until the money men get pizzed we are just spinning our wheels

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Lazy Uncle Joe looking for a human binky
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2019, 06:15:12 pm »

In your job, after about 2 months you can pretty much tell if a new hire is the good stuff (wheat) or the bad stuff (chaff). Any of us could ask Ken Hatfield, Tommy Tuberville, Barry Switzer, Jimmy Johnson[you get the point on sources] and they'd likely tell you after watching our current coach in action whether or not he has the "right stuff" to make it at the UA.  One gets the feeling that after all the 'coach speak' is through, not a single one of them would say "yes, CCM can get it done at as the head football coach at the University of Arkansas " Just some conjecture to ponder over.

Foshodo

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2019, 06:24:17 pm »

the last few weeks i've found myself wanting to punch anybody that says we're accepting mediocrity... we are so far under mediocre it's laughable...

i aint even trying to be proud of us anymore... i just want an entertaining talented product on the field that can win 6 or 7 games.

bondhue

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2019, 09:17:28 pm »

You only fire him if you have a signature on the dotted line of someone who has succeeded elsewhere in FBS.  If you can't get that, he's the best you can do.

Edit: that's the ugly reality.

bondhue

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2019, 09:51:38 pm »

In your job, after about 2 months you can pretty much tell if a new hire is the good stuff (wheat) or the bad stuff (chaff). Any of us could ask Ken Hatfield, Tommy Tuberville, Barry Switzer, Jimmy Johnson[you get the point on sources] and they'd likely tell you after watching our current coach in action whether or not he has the "right stuff" to make it at the UA.  One gets the feeling that after all the 'coach speak' is through, not a single one of them would say "yes, CCM can get it done at as the head football coach at the University of Arkansas " Just some conjecture to ponder over.
Well then you have to accept the fact that the people who hire people to hire people at the U of A are among the worst administrators in all of college sports.  They have failed repeatedly.  Arkansas State does better.

farmhawg

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2019, 09:54:02 pm »

Well then you have to accept the fact that the people who hire people to hire people at the U of A are among the worst administrators in all of college sports.  They have failed repeatedly.  Arkansas State does better.
ah wolf fan you are....

bondhue

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2019, 10:05:22 pm »

ah wolf fan you are....
Been a Hog fan since 1969.  Yes I hope AState wins, don't follow.  Increasingly don't follow any football.  There seems to be no football for me to follow anymore.  I just work on my GTO, boat, truck, weedeater, and blower.  There's a few blowers on here.

I hope to die watching the Hogs win a football game, catching a big bass, or changing the oil in my GTO.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas