• 10,554,404 Posts
• 415,778 Topics
• 23,843 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: IF it were between Kiffen, Satterfield, Clawson, Huepel, Shiano, or Norvell  (Read 2577 times)

LumberBacks

Considering how much more in depth and professional Muss is running practices, and known through out the NBA and other major leagues, I'd say he's a home run hire.
I thought after some of my 1st dates that I found "the one", but quickly changed my mind after the 10th date.  We just finished our 1st date with Muss.  Let's see how it goes over the long term.  I'm hopeful but haven't seen much more than a glimpse at this point.

The Kig

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville Heroes

Kiffen could be a homerun but im sure hed find some way to mess it up..
Well, there's your answer.  It's a Win/Win.

People are desperate enough for wins that they have started a petition to bring Petrino back.  If Kiffin turns out a taller, younger version of that, we get a couple of good bowls before he implodes...W

Takes some of the tarnish off the last few years in the death spiral... W

If he's successful and likes it here... W

Possibly fails and only wins OOC games before getting fired in a couple of years... W to neutral (would be improvement)

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

GlassofSwine

Scratch off any big time coordinators or established coaches off your list. They are not going to come take this job. We are currently a bottom tier SEC job and an absolute disaster. Best options are going to be disgraced coaches who have something to prove like Kiffin, Freeze, Briles or an up and comer at a mid-tier school.

Personally, I'm not the biggest Kiffin fan but he has alot of SEC experience is a good recruiter and is doing a really good job at FAU and doesn't have the baggage of Freeze or Briles. I think he should be the top of the list at this point.

oldman1015

coach O was 6-2 as interim coach at usc. I believe Kiffin was 28-15 during his time at usc.
Wasnít Kiffin dealing with limited scholarships because of the NCAA?

TheEnemy

And they had a bowl ban so players could transfer out without sitting out a year

hogcam

If you want to win, hire Lane Kiffin. But I don't think we will.

Unnamed Source

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

Butch Davis. He knows exactly what heís getting into. Plus he can pull together a good staff.
If Morris gets canned this year, I am with you. I view Davis as the great stabilizer for 3-5 years. Knows the unique lay of the land- recruiting, booster relations, fandom. And is a heckuva coach- Believe we would see an immediate improvement. Recognize he is becoming an elder statesman but thatís not all bad at this juncture.

Bacons Rebellion

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Pig puns are so boaring.

So was coach O. At  USC.

Just playing devilís advocate do you not think that people learn from their mistakes ?

We just don't have a lot of recent experience with that.

HardingHog

This doesn't answer the OP, but one important factor in our next hire should be finding someone who is at least in the same ballpark in regards to offensive strategy as Morris. I feel like it can only help in a transition if we aren't going from one extreme to the other every time we hire someone new

HenduHog

• Razorbacks: Hostile and mobile

SABIN

I didn't think Dr. Albert Sabin of the National Institute of Health was a coach. Who knew?

Supermark101

We need a huge hire. These small time guys ain't gonna cut it.

No huge guy will come here after firing a guy after 2 years of a major rebuild. I doubt anyone on this list would.

SugarHillGaHog

• Hogvillian

I didn't think Dr. Albert Sabin of the National Institute of Health was a coach. Who knew?

You went with last name and my first thought was Sabine Schmitz.  She is hammer down.  Any lane. 

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.

We need a huge hire. These small time guys ain't gonna cut it.

And just who would some of those big names be?

TexasHog

Frank Broyles

TrueBlue

• I'm not driven by money anymore. Lane Kiffin

Kiffen was average at USC.. he would be average here..

Kiffin inherited bowl bans, players transferring out, reduced scholarships, and probation at USC and still finished with some decent seasons including a 10-2 mark.

But donít let the facts confuse you on Kiffin.

USC has been kicking themselves in the behind ever since they let him go. Clay Helton is 3-3 this year after going 5-7 in his THIRD year with NO sanctions. Let that sink in a minute.

Duckman, myself, and a few others pushed hard for Kiffin the last time around. You have to ask yourself one question: Are we better off today with Morris or would we have been better off with Kiffin sitting here today? I think the answer is crystal clear.

The one knock on Kiffin is how he left Tennessee for his ďdream jobĒ of USC and it blew up on him. Great coaches seem to rebound nicely from those types of things if they have the right passion. Example: Eddie Sutton. He crawled to Kentucky for his ďdream jobĒ and we all know how that turned out. However, he responded and had many great seasons at Oklahoma State to prove himself afterwards.

jkstock04

Satterfield:
7-5
11-2
10-3
9-4
10-2
4-2 currently at Louisville.
Pretty impressive...this is what I would call a 5 star up and comer resume. Similar to Norvell.

Mind boggling to me we would roll the dice with Chad Morris when there are other resumes like this out there.

#1 STUNNA

Pretty impressive...this is what I would call a 5 star up and comer resume. Similar to Norvell.

Mind boggling to me we would roll the dice with Chad Morris when there are other resumes like this out there.
Louisville was 2-10 last year.

TrueBlue

So he is doing it with other peopleís recruits? Ala, Houston Nutt?

One year turn-arounds mean nothing. Sustainability means everything. We hired a basketball coach named Stan Heath that took a team in his first year to the Sweet 16 at Kent State.......with other coaches recruits. Didnít turn out so well for us.

jkstock04

Yep...I was never sold on Chad Morris because his stint as a head coach wasn't impressive to me. Look at SMU this year...with an almost complete turnover roster in year 2!! This is what a good coach can do! There is evidence of it out there.

I know we can't get a guy like Bob Stoops or Urban Meyer.....or even Malzahn who could at anytime be on the firing brink at Auburn. But a guy like this we should've been able to get.

Now?? Who knows....most hog fans assume we could but I have my doubts. Think how low Arkansas head coach stock is today....piss poor. Could you get Norvell or this Satterfield to go coach at Vanderbilt? That's basically the way this job is gonna be viewed right now.

I see this thing as completely F'd. Keeping Chad Morris looks like an awful decision. Firing Chad Morris also looks like an awful decision.

#1 STUNNA

One year turn-arounds mean nothing. Sustainability means everything. We hired a basketball coach named Stan Heath that took a team in his first year to the Sweet 16 at Kent State.......with other coaches recruits. Didnít turn out so well for us.
did you not see what he did the 5 years at his previous stop?

Harleigh Hog

Novell all day and twice on Sunday.

jkstock04

His App state stint looks pretty impressive.

PetrinoFan

He's our best bet at this point if he can forgive us from snubbing him the first time.

TexasHog

Norvell was made for this job.

Formula Hog

Kiffin

Muleriderhog

• Senior
  • For the love of God, please hire Kiffin.

Realistic. Thank you. May be our best option. But not a "big hire".
Muss was a nice hire but not a home run.  I think he will prove to be an upgrade from CMA.  The basketball program was in much better shape compared to the football when Muss was hired. If we couldn't get a "big hire" for hoops, we sure ain't getting it for football.  Best hope is a coach who is under the "big hire" radar that turns out to be a real winner.
Muss was 100% a home run hire, all the talking heads said he was the best hire of the off season.

hoglady

Sure we need to hire the best coach we can but the list of coaches better than Morris should be pretty lengthy.

Norvel, Leach, Kiffin, Satterfield, Campbell.

Looks like a decent list of huge upgrades to me.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors

Sure we need to hire the best coach we can but the list of coaches better than Morris should be pretty lengthy.

Norvel, Leach, Kiffin, Satterfield, Campbell.

Looks like a decent list of huge upgrades to me.

While that list is decent, Morris has set the bar so incredibly low.

If we were using the basketball hire as a litmus test then Yurachek's ideal candidate may be a G5 coach with a pretty high level of success.  No slow build Chad's but either guys that took over established programs and kept them going or took them higher, Norvell, Heupel, Harsin, or guys that did quicker turnarounds like Kiff or Littrell, or if a P5 would listen say a Campbell.   

He will more than likely go younger(ish), high energy, personable, focused, dynamic, with a clear plan.  Now you may say, but Muss isn't young.  I'd counter that by saying he's young at heart and was a youngster when it comes to college coaching.  But he had a quick turn around and high level of success.  Just my opinion, Norvell comes closest to Muss.  I'm not saying he will be the guy, but both had 4 years of HC experience at their last job and won at a high level.  Both started coaching careers at a relatively young age and rose quickly.  Muss was HC at Golden State at 38 and was a CBA HC at 25.  Norvell was OC at ASU at age 30 and became HC of Memphis at age 35. 

But I digress

He may flirt with an established guy like he reportedly did with Gregg Marshall.  Gundy is probably the Greg Marshall of the group.

I'm guessing he's got a short list already will narrow down to and identify his guy early on.  Do his due diligence by talking to some other candidates, and then hopefully bring home someone that will embrace working with the currently players while also building for the future.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!

Since we are talking about new Coaches,  what would everyone think about Dan Enos?  Just curious.   He is a young, hungry, coach that has a good offensive mind and did really good with quarterback development. 
Heís the same age as Morris and he has a losing record.

jrulz83

• Lenin lived, Lenin lives, Lenin will live forever!

Bring me Lane Kiffin.

Heís not leaving FAU though.

TrueBlue

His App state stint looks pretty impressive.

51-24 as a Sunbelt coach? Meh.

Might as well get A-Stateís coach if that is the type of coach you want.

TrueBlue

Bring me Lane Kiffin.

Heís not leaving FAU though.

Kiffin would relish the thought of getting under Sabanís skin a little bit. Not to mention how much he would troll Tennesseeís fans.......or other teams in general.

It would be entertaining.

Calvin Swine

I thought Kiffin would be a good hire last time, however if you look at his track record his success trends down the longer he's at a program.  I think he'd be great year 1 and 2 but year 3 and beyond have me worried. 

My picks:
#1.  Harsin - Checks all the boxes.  Young.  Successful at more than one stop.  Head coach experience longer than 4 years. Has ties to Arkansas.  No scandals that I'm aware of.
#2.  Norvel - Checks almost every box including he'd probably view this job as an upgrade.  Also we have a new AD so I doubt he'd hold a grudge about being passed over.  There's that one skeleton though.  If he's learned his lesson then bring him on board. 
#3.  Leach - Probably not going to happen as he'd rub too many people the wrong way here.  However he's a winner, has taken two crap programs and turned them around, and is the best example of a coach that can truly "do more with less".

-Heupel hasn't been a head coach long enough or recruited his own players over a span of time.  His HC sampling is too small to be considered IMHO.
-Satterfield just arrived at Louisville.  His buyout is probably still huge (can't confirm but makes sense) and he's at a "good job" institution with recent success. 
-Neal Brown, see Satterfield and plug in WV.
-Clawson is 33-36 at Wake.  That's far from inspiring, and yes I know it's better than what we have.
-Shiano would be a complete rebuild needing new personnel.  We'd suck for another 4 years trying to get the pieces in place.  Plus guess who his DC may very well be?  Oh yeah that guy we fired.  Frankly he doesn't move the needle with me.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 11:25:14 pm by Calvin Swine »

hawaiianhogster

• Varsity

We better go for a sure thing. If we don't then we better not get rid of Chad. We must keep the players that care about the program here. We keep firing coaches they won't come back.

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest

Not a sitting HC, but I think I could quickly get behind Alex Grinch, DC at OU. Turned the OU defense into a really good unit. Connections with OU and tOSU - a great place to begin when recruiting assistants/coordinators and those folks know recruiting.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...

Kiffin, Leach or Norvell would all come here and likely be successful. I would be happy with any one of them.

VirginiaHog

Satterfield (Another unproven no name.  I am tired of those)
Norvell (I don't get the obsession.  He has done nothing to prove he could turn this program around)
Clawson (Another no name)
Huepel  (yet another No name)
Shiano  (I don't want another coach just focused on defense, with a boring offense)
Kiffin (The only one out of these with a name, experience at the top of the SEC, and a proven offense.  He is my pick out of the list)
This 100

STLhawg

Art Briles would take the job in a heartbeat!

TheEnemy

Please little baby jesus....let us not not offer Kiffin again.  Hopefully 3rd time is the charm.  1st time he wasnt ready, 2nd time we screwed up, this time let it be.

jkstock04

51-24 as a Sunbelt coach? Meh.

Might as well get A-Stateís coach if that is the type of coach you want.
I think our wires are crossed....we are talking about two different coaches. Im talking about a guy with a resume of 41-16 at App st. Currently 4-2 at Louisville. Not bad. I'll take that over Chad Morris' head coaching resume.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors

Not a sitting HC, but I think I could quickly get behind Alex Grinch, DC at OU. Turned the OU defense into a really good unit. Connections with OU and tOSU - a great place to begin when recruiting assistants/coordinators and those folks know recruiting.

Yep if we go assistant route I'm right there with you on the kid.  Could be the next Bob Stoops and has been around some high powered offenses.

Supermark101

My picks:
#1.  Harsin - Checks all the boxes.  Young.  Successful at more than one stop.  Head coach experience longer than 4 years. Has ties to Arkansas.  No scandals that I'm aware of.

Never had to rebuild a program
Not leaving his alma mater for this train wreck.

HogFan4Eva

• Bench Warmer

Since we are talking about new Coaches,  what would everyone think about Dan Enos?  Just curious.   He is a young, hungry, coach that has a good offensive mind and did really good with quarterback development.

No thank you. He didnít recruit one good player while he was here especially QB.

Supermark101

No thank you. He didnít recruit one good player while he was here especially QB.

I also say no, but he developed the hell out of the Allens.

Firing a guy after 2 years, Eliah Drinkwitz or Butch Davis are the best we'll do with head coaching experience.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 12:30:57 am by Supermark101 »

Tejano Jawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go West ern Kentucky, young man.

I've seen Stoops name mentioned a few times...which one are we talking about?

They all have jobs, although Mike would probably be happy to talk about it.

Hawg Law 7

1) Kiffin
2) Satterfield
t3) Norvel
t3) Clawson
5) Schiano
6) Huepel

Hawg Law 7

Not just limited scholarships, but due to the bowl ban, juniors and seniors were allowed to transfer without penalty. He ended up having less than 75 scholarship players in his first year (before the scholarship reduction really had an affect) and went 8-5.

Hawg Law 7

Satterfield (Another unproven no name.  I am tired of those)

Satterfield is far from an ďunproven no nameĒ.

(notOM)Rebel123

Art Briles would take the any job in a heartbeat!

FIFY

fraction_of_blue

• Bench Warmer

And there is the Norvell name again. Please explain, if you donít mind, what it is about this guy that has so many people convinced he is the man. Has he ever coached, even as a coordinator, in the SEC?  How many SEC teams has he beaten, when they were not already struggling? Is he a proven recruiter? Has he built any program from the ground up to win high level bowl games? Has he won any championships? I am not being sarcastic, I am serious. Why are so many hooked on this guy?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas