• 10,544,415 Posts
• 415,536 Topics
• 23,816 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red Flags  (Read 3928 times)

SMB Hogfan

Re: Red Flags
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2019, 09:30:40 am »

Yes you can IF they want a certain job. I've turned down a job because I would have to have lived inside Memphis where the specific job was. Some police forces require them to live in the city they protect also.  I also had to live within a certain distance of my club to obtain the alcohol permit in Arkansas. That did not include my family I admit.

This is 100% true. I had to turn down a very high end promotion because it would have required me to move to South Korea. My son was 8 at the time and I opted not to accept. I was not going to make $3.5 mil; either. Anyone saying this is not a legitimate issue hasn't faced the fact that this is a reality in some areas of employment. If you and your family want to enjoy the perks of making really big bucks; you make the necessary sacrifices. Apparently, Chad is not willing to do so.

havok

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2019, 09:32:02 am »

Red Flag:    Came in (ala Matt Foley - motivational Speaker)   Saying to everyone to get ready, We are about to Hammer Down, Left Lane..blah blah blah..  (Not someday in future, but Get Ready NOW)....and yet we haven't even seen it in 1 1/2 seasons.

All we have seen is Timid, Deer in the headlights coaching, and unprepared team (To include coaches) hit the field.  BB needed to go.. but at least when they came out on the first drives..it sure seemed at that time they had a successful game plan and prepared.  What happened after drive 1 was usually a different story.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

SDZ_Hog

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2019, 09:40:20 am »

Red Flag:  Club Dub
along with a turnover belt

ArkieBacon

• Varsity
  • HogBall Tue. Nov. 12 @ 7:00 PM
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2019, 09:53:49 am »

Red Flag: Hail Mary

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2019, 10:09:53 am »

I think is someone is tuned in and knowing what to look for, then that can hire good coaches with it going beyond just resumes and such.  Certain people just stand out for their mind, approaches, and the train, teach, motivate, and just get people to execute, perform, and excel.

I have noticed a number of red flags that goes beyond wins and loss, while those red flags have definitely contributed to losses.  Hope can be seen in losses just as glaring red flags in wins.

I do not think it takes as long to turn around a football program as some suggest, although quicker turnarounds can happen more often in basketball.  Even as bad as the last few years have been, there have been glimmers of hope, but the coaching has been lacking overall.

Last year, with four very winnable non-conference games and Ole Miss and Vandy on the schedule, a 6-6 season with a bowl game was plausible.  The SEC teams on our schedule except the big three from the West seem down, so a winning season this season was plausible. 

I just want a strong coach who can do the needed things whether that is a first year head coach, a current coordinator, or an experienced coach.  An AD like Yurachek with his mind and ability to observe red flags with basketball practices should be able to do that in a football coaching search. 

I like the references in this thread to chess, so I think Yurachek can and should observe any potential candidate on whether they can strategize, plan, motivate, and execute effectively.

Ive interviewed and hired a couple of hundred or more management people in over thirty years. If there is one thing I learned in all that is Resumes' do not tell the whole story and if they will be good or not.

havok

« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2019, 11:12:34 am »

Ive interviewed and hired a couple of hundred or more management people in over thirty years. If there is one thing I learned in all that is Resumes' do not tell the whole story and if they will be good or not.

I totally agree.. and at this level..IMO the whole Traditional interview process is a waste.  The real Interview is done on display on the football field every Saturday (Or games on other days) as to if you are qualified and worth pursuing.  Nothing can be gained from a 1 hour Red-bull fueled over the top Matt Foley Motivational Speaker interview.  Puts too much "Emotion" into the process, to the detriment of facts and believing what you are seeing for yourself clearly on football field.

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2019, 01:05:38 pm »

along with a turnover belt
that rock needs to go too that everyone rubs on.  #Gay

Sivad

« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2019, 01:08:35 pm »

Yea holy hell have we ever seen his wife?  Good point?
No. She stays away from Arkansas and the Razorback football program.

Uberanubis

« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2019, 01:18:29 pm »

To those who think that morris should have moved his family to arkansas either have never moved or dont have kids. Moving is hard on families. It's hard, especially for the kids who play sports, to come in and do well. So I think your just a bounch of cry babies looking for some thing to complain about.

STLhawg

« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2019, 01:14:27 am »

To those who think that morris should have moved his family to arkansas either have never moved or dont have kids. Moving is hard on families. It's hard, especially for the kids who play sports, to come in and do well. So I think your just a bounch of cry babies looking for some thing to complain about.
Or it could be we are upset with Morris doing a half-a$$ed (or less) job here and trying to understand why!  It very well could be because he hasn't fully gone all in because he doesn't have the support of his family in Fayetteville.  I'm not sure why that's so hard for some to comprehend.  I do know his wife has done an amazing job of keeping her distance from the program -- and that seems odd to me.

Formula Hog

« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2019, 01:38:09 am »

that rock needs to go too that everyone rubs on.  #Gay

That was another thing to try and Clemsonize the program. Corny and lame.

hogfan870

« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2019, 02:04:03 am »

Why does the starting qb getting first team reps play worse than the replacement for every game. Whether Hicks starts or it's Starkel?   

And really, this goes back to last year with Storey and Kelly.  The QB they prepare plays worse, than the QB that they don't prepare.  Pretty easy to see that whatever they are doing isn't working. 

I also see the not moving his family as a red flag.

I will throw out one more no one has mentioned - the whole "I will never apologize for a win" after the Portland State game.  Even though we won, that game was embarassing and he should have been apologizing right off the bat, rather than being defensive about it.  Every coach doesn't have to be Saban, but can you imagine him after that game? 

oldhog63

« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2019, 07:09:06 am »

I know you’re looking for specific moments/plays, but the absolute ass whipping North Texas put on us last year at home was simply unprecedented. Seeing a team roll over so thoroughly demonstrated a glaring lack of player respect and overall accountability.
Just me, but I would not have respected a fair catch the rest of that game. I would have found someone to blow up the receiver every time. Instead, a different message was sent to the team to lay down and don’t fight back.

ifghog

« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2019, 07:16:57 am »

One that I would add off the top of my head is running out the clock with a minute left to go in the first half against Kentucky. 

That might be the first question I would ask any coach in a job interview.  Because if their answer to that question is "yes" for any reason, it would save me the time from continuing the rest of the interview.
Yeah... because there is never any reason for that 🤣🤣🤣 should Morris have tried to score last week yes but there are plenty of times when that is the smart thing to do.  At least sound a bit educated when you voice your opinion. 

LZH

« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2019, 07:20:44 am »

This is the dumbest schit that keeps getting brought up.  Really scraping the bottom of the barrel for this one.

Why do you feel this way?

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2019, 07:23:48 am »

the biggest red flag for me was last year:

"we are playing the players who give us the best chance to win"

he was playing players who were not all in, and quitting on the team during games.

GoldCoastHog

« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2019, 08:11:39 am »

The first red flag was an interview with a football analyst who told Bo Mattingly that Morris would be a terrible hire for Arkansas.  I can’t remember the guys name but he analyzed coaches using a WAR formula. He said that Arkansas needs a coach that can outscheme opponents  and that Chad would only be successful if he equal or greater talent.  This was one day before the media got the green light to start floating  Morris’ name out as a “potentially great hire”.  He nailed it.

Edit: College Football Matrix, Dave Bartoo

Hell, he’s consistently  losing to teams that he DOES have equal or better talent than. I can see by his personality where he won the interview, but the real audition for the job is done on the field. As of this morning, he’s not getting the gig.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2019, 08:37:53 am »

Yes its hard but it is something that happens all the time especially in the military. It can be a really good life lesson for kids. My dad worked for AP&L when I was young and we moved three times. Only the last time was I old enough to remember and it bothered me. I didn't become an ax murderer and I got over it. Kids usually do. The cry babies are the ones that can't deal with real life things like moving as a kid.

grassroothog

« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2019, 08:47:02 am »

Or it could be we are upset with Morris doing a half-a$$ed (or less) job here and trying to understand why!  It very well could be because he hasn't fully gone all in because he doesn't have the support of his family in Fayetteville.  I'm not sure why that's so hard for some to comprehend.  I do know his wife has done an amazing job of keeping her distance from the program -- and that seems odd to me.
Maybe she knew Chad would not be here long.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2019, 08:58:16 am »

My red flags:

1. Inability to develop talent
2. Cannot scheme to get your best offensive players the ball
3. Red Zone offense stinks
4. Very little Player progress in his 2nd season
5. Indecisive (example: Starkel in the 1st half of the KY game)
6. In year #2 the defense is no better today than it was in his 1st season

Honestly, as one of the announcers asked earlier in the year: what, if anything, can you say is measurably better about this team over last year?

HardCore

« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2019, 09:06:25 am »

Then don’t take the job.  Pretty simple.

HoginIllinois

« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2019, 09:26:32 am »

And really, this goes back to last year with Storey and Kelly.  The QB they prepare plays worse, than the QB that they don't prepare.  Pretty easy to see that whatever they are doing isn't working. 

I also see the not moving his family as a red flag.

I will throw out one more no one has mentioned - the whole "I will never apologize for a win" after the Portland State game.  Even though we won, that game was embarassing and he should have been apologizing right off the bat, rather than being defensive about it.[ /b] Every coach doesn't have to be Saban, but can you imagine him after that game? 

I liked what Petrino said after  Western Illinois played us too close in his first game here. "At least we kept everybody in the stands."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas