• 10,555,009 Posts
• 415,785 Topics
• 23,846 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Red Flags  (Read 3934 times)

nesjunk

Red Flags
« on: October 15, 2019, 03:23:10 pm »

It's true that you need to give a coach time to recruit his players and install his schemes before passing judgment on his ability to win in the SEC.  But this case was different.  There were signs as early as last season that Chad was never going to be a good coach regardless of who he recruits.  I have been compiling a list of "red flags".  I know I have missed dozens.  Please add to the list. 

Red Flags:
1. Punting on 4th and inches against CSU
2. The terrible Wildcat against Ole Miss
3. The North Texas State punt return
4. Tipping run/pass plays with RB depth
5. Clock management against Portland State
6. Letting a QB throw 5 interceptions
7. 2018 offensive line schemes
8. Multiple poorly executed "trick" plays at the wrong time
9. QB selections (both seasons)

Green Flags:
1. Finally recognizing that CJ needs to get the ball more
2. Recruiting (up until a few weeks ago)

HardCore

Re: Red Flags
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 03:31:58 pm »

It's true that you need to give a coach time to recruit his players and install his schemes before passing judgment on his ability to win in the SEC.  But this case was different.  There were signs as early as last season that Chad was never going to be a good coach regardless of who he recruits.  I have been compiling a list of "red flags".  I know I have missed dozens.  Please add to the list. 

Red Flags:

Green Flags:

No enthusiasm or desire to win on the field or sideline....just Dead.  Flipping back and forth between Ark/KY and LSU/FL.....big difference in demeanor of the teams in each game - night and day.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Oliver

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 03:34:31 pm »

One that I would add off the top of my head is running out the clock with a minute left to go in the first half against Kentucky. 

That might be the first question I would ask any coach in a job interview.  Because if their answer to that question is "yes" for any reason, it would save me the time from continuing the rest of the interview.

Pennywise

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 03:37:37 pm »

One that I would add off the top of my head is running out the clock with a minute left to go in the first half against Kentucky. 

That might be the first question I would ask any coach in a job interview.  Because if their answer to that question is "yes" for any reason, it would save me the time from continuing the rest of the interview.

What if Bobby and Ryan would have decided to run the clock out against LSU at half in WMS? Sure glad he didn't.

HoggieStyle

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 04:07:32 pm »

The red flags you list, considering that Morris was sold to us as an "offensive genius", are....unacceptable.

jjdlc

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 04:13:10 pm »

Absolute lack of killer mentality.  Itís one of the main reasons we havenít finished out one of these close games yet.

aaronpjones21

• Varsity
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 04:22:09 pm »

Red Flags:

Green Flags:

I think the Kentucky game was one of his worst coached games in his two years. The debacle at the end of the first half was bad. But another from that game that stands out is on our final possession, immediately calling timeout right after the 3rd down play. I guess we called the TO to discuss whether or not we are going or kicking the FG. You can debate what the right decision there is--but the head coach should KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING AHEAD OF TIME and not have to burn a very valuable TO just to make that decision.

Also, winning the toss this season and continually electing to defer even though our defense has a knack for allowing the opposing team to score on the first one or two plays of the game. Always causing us to start in a hole. We finally corrected this after about 4 or 5 games.

There are so many more that I'm glad I can't remember.

SweatyHog

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 04:25:15 pm »

He didnít travel with the team the first game of the season last year, went to watch his kid play on Friday night.

STLhawg

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 04:34:12 pm »

Not moving his family to Fayetteville is another red flag.  It shows he and his family were never really committed to the Razorbacks!

Marshfieldhog

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 04:44:35 pm »

Not moving his family to Fayetteville is another red flag.  It shows he and his family were never really committed to the Razorbacks!

Totally this. His kid could have played for
Fayetteville High.

HogsonHicks

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 05:17:09 pm »

I know youíre looking for specific moments/plays, but the absolute ass whipping North Texas put on us last year at home was simply unprecedented. Seeing a team roll over so thoroughly demonstrated a glaring lack of player respect and overall accountability.

Arkansas Fan

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 05:20:06 pm »

Two things: bringing back McFadden era unis and recruiting bigger receivers. Only good things from Morris's time here.

HardCore

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 05:34:18 pm »

Funny to me how so many downplay this........this was important.

TeufelHog

• Never Forget, Never Yield!
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 05:50:53 pm »

From day 1, hiring Coach Chavis after claiming to be hiring one of the best DCís in the country.  Recruiter, yes . . . DC no. 

Sivad

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2019, 05:52:53 pm »

The AD should never have allowed this.

jholland1224

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2019, 06:06:43 pm »

Absolute lack of killer mentality.  Itís one of the main reasons we havenít finished out one of these close games yet.

This. Teams tend to take on the attitude of the coach. During the Petrino years this team had an edge. They played with a fire in their guys. That went away after CBB was hired and Morris has done nothing to bring it back.

SemperFi

• Strongly despising the Morris Era!
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2019, 06:07:25 pm »

My red flags:

1. Inability to develop talent
2. Cannot scheme to get your best offensive players the ball
3. Red Zone offense stinks
4. Very little Player progress in his 2nd season
5. Indecisive (example: Starkel in the 1st half of the KY game)
6. In year #2 the defense is no better today than it was in his 1st season

Svrdhd

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2019, 06:10:58 pm »

Lots of things stood out early last year, but not the family moving. His kid was better served staying in Texas, not remotely comparable in regards to high school football exposure vs Fayetteville.

MORAZOR

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2019, 06:18:03 pm »

Lots of things stood out early last year, but not the family moving. His kid was better served staying in Texas, not remotely comparable in regards to high school football exposure vs Fayetteville.
What, Chad wouldnt have offered him if he was playing for Fayetteville?

SeldomHere

• My all-time favorite gender.
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2019, 06:36:57 pm »

The AD should never have allowed this.

It's America, you can't make people live where you want them to live. I doubt it was even discussed.

SeldomHere

• My all-time favorite gender.
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2019, 06:37:53 pm »

Well it's not like NW Arkansas has a reputation for Arkansas Starting QBs.  ;) ;) :D ;D

hoglady

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2019, 06:42:24 pm »

What if Bobby and Ryan would have decided to run the clock out against LSU at half in WMS? Sure glad he didn't.

Petrino was always confident and aggressive.
Morris has been the opposite in just about every game we've played.

Petrino was playing chess and winning / Morris appears to still be learning checkers.

Justifiable Hogicide

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2019, 06:58:12 pm »

It's America, you can't make people live where you want them to live. I doubt it was even discussed.
When youíre paying them $3.5 Million per year you can. Especially when it is important to send the message to recruits, players and fans that you are all in and committed to the program.
And a coachís wife at a major program has an important role to play too.

arlhog

• Senior
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2019, 06:59:35 pm »

Fayetteville may be really really nice but it is not Highland Park.  I really don't blame him for letting his kid play out his high school ball at highland park.   There is no school in arkansas that can match what highland park has.  Not a knock on Arkansas just a fact.    Morris needs to go but not for this reason.   I would have done the same thing if i was him.   

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2019, 07:01:20 pm »

Red Flags:

Green Flags:

I think there are as many if not more red flags for off the field stuff than on.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 08:07:19 pm by Inhogswetrust »

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2019, 07:03:39 pm »

Totally this. His kid could have played for
Fayetteville High.

Or any number of other high schools up there.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2019, 07:06:57 pm »

Yes you can IF they want a certain job. I've turned down a job because I would have to have lived inside Memphis where the specific job was. Some police forces require them to live in the city they protect also.  I also had to live within a certain distance of my club to obtain the alcohol permit in Arkansas. That did not include my family I admit.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 08:11:22 pm by Inhogswetrust »

razorcash2

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2019, 08:30:32 pm »

Two things: bringing back McFadden era unis and recruiting bigger receivers. Only good things from Morris's time here.
This team doesnít deserve to wear the McFadden jersey.

Fatherhog

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2019, 08:55:34 pm »

2 consecutive false starts on a punt attempt against Kentucky

Fatherhog

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2019, 08:57:47 pm »

This. Teams tend to take on the attitude of the coach. During the Petrino years this team had an edge. They played with a fire in their guys. That went away after CBB was hired and Morris has done nothing to bring it back.

Svrdhd

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2019, 09:16:51 pm »

You really think Chandler Morris is going to end up in Fayetteville? Heíll play for a good college team somewhere else.

Bacons Rebellion

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Pig puns are so boaring.
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2019, 09:24:31 pm »

Never winning a one touchdown game against an FBS opponent in 7 opportunities.

PigPusher

• Global Moderator
  • Just another day as a Hog!!!
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2019, 09:29:16 pm »

Nice reference to chess. No one ever talks about this but there was a study ran several years ago on chess playing coaches. It showed that good chess playing coaches make excellent managers of game calling. Seems with the many gambits they encounter in each chess game directly correlates with football game theory. Would not at all be surprisedto learn Coach Petrino is a good chess player and Coach not so much. Obviously Coach Morris is a smart man. But there a weakness in the way that that intelligence moves him through being a football theorist. Perhaps he may think complexity is necessary to have a good winning team. Look at Alabama for a moment. Much of what they execute is not complicated it is just very very well executed.

greasy_corner

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2019, 09:37:32 pm »

I honestly don't know the name of his wife, or what see looks like.  Not saying that's all that important for me, but it is weird. 

cardinalhawg

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2019, 09:40:58 pm »

I think is someone is tuned in and knowing what to look for, then that can hire good coaches with it going beyond just resumes and such.  Certain people just stand out for their mind, approaches, and the train, teach, motivate, and just get people to execute, perform, and excel.

I have noticed a number of red flags that goes beyond wins and loss, while those red flags have definitely contributed to losses.  Hope can be seen in losses just as glaring red flags in wins.

I do not think it takes as long to turn around a football program as some suggest, although quicker turnarounds can happen more often in basketball.  Even as bad as the last few years have been, there have been glimmers of hope, but the coaching has been lacking overall.

Last year, with four very winnable non-conference games and Ole Miss and Vandy on the schedule, a 6-6 season with a bowl game was plausible.  The SEC teams on our schedule except the big three from the West seem down, so a winning season this season was plausible. 

I just want a strong coach who can do the needed things whether that is a first year head coach, a current coordinator, or an experienced coach.  An AD like Yurachek with his mind and ability to observe red flags with basketball practices should be able to do that in a football coaching search. 

I like the references in this thread to chess, so I think Yurachek can and should observe any potential candidate on whether they can strategize, plan, motivate, and execute effectively.

tasteslikechicken

• Varsity
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2019, 10:01:19 pm »

Kickoff coverage, or lack thereof, at the start of last season. Has been an area of major improvement this season however.

upperdeck_hawg

• Fear the Stache!
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2019, 10:33:42 pm »

Punting on 4th and 3 against Vandy when we were on Vandy's 38 yard line.

upperdeck_hawg

• Fear the Stache!
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2019, 10:35:36 pm »

Petrino was always confident and aggressive.
Morris has been the opposite in just about every game we've played.

Petrino was playing chess and winning / Morris appears to still be learning checkers.

Checkers? You give him too much credit. The man is playing rock, paper, scissors

kodiakisland

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2019, 01:25:36 am »

I honestly don't know the name of his wife, or what see looks like.  Not saying that's all that important for me, but it is weird. 

Yep.  Most coaches at this level have their wives involved with the team.  Kinda expect it when you pay them all those millions.  A full buy in from the coach.  The coach certainly demands it from the players.

The Boar War

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2019, 07:02:40 am »

The first red flag was an interview with a football analyst who told Bo Mattingly that Morris would be a terrible hire for Arkansas.  I canít remember the guys name but he analyzed coaches using a WAR formula. He said that Arkansas needs a coach that can outscheme opponents  and that Chad would only be successful if he equal or greater talent.  This was one day before the media got the green light to start floating  Morrisí name out as a ďpotentially great hireĒ.  He nailed it.

Edit: College Football Matrix, Dave Bartoo
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 08:27:51 am by The Boar War »

nate1283

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2019, 07:33:41 am »

Not that I'm supporting the product that we've put on the field this year at ALL, but I haven't seen a team with a "killer" mentality since Petrino.  How many games have we pissed away in the 2nd half since 2013?  As David Bennett from Coastal Carolina said " We don't need a bunch of cats in hereó"meeeooow!"ólookin' in the mirror. "I look gooooood, I got my extra bands on, I got my other shoes"óBe a dog! We don't need no meows, we don't need no cats. We need more dogs."

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2019, 08:14:22 am »

2 consecutive false starts on a punt attempt against Kentucky

No doubt! Unbelievable.

Hog_Swanson

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2019, 08:20:39 am »

This is the dumbest schit that keeps getting brought up.  Really scraping the bottom of the barrel for this one.

Junkyard Hog

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2019, 08:25:11 am »

My biggest red flags:

Colorado State
North Texas
San Jose State

You can say all you want about us losing to other SEC teams because they have more talent/depth than we do.....but not these guys.

hoglady

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2019, 08:26:11 am »

Nice reference to chess. No one ever talks about this but there was a study ran several years ago on chess playing coaches. It showed that good chess playing coaches make excellent managers of game calling. Seems with the many gambits they encounter in each chess game directly correlates with football game theory. Would not at all be surprisedto learn Coach Petrino is a good chess player and Coach not so much. Obviously Coach Morris is a smart man. But there a weakness in the way that that intelligence moves him through being a football theorist. Perhaps he may think complexity is necessary to have a good winning team. Look at Alabama for a moment. Much of what they execute is not complicated it is just very very well executed.

The reason I referenced chess with Petrino - I remember listening to him explain how he game plans and has X number of plays entering the game. Then will try to pin point the exact play in that sequence that will go for a touchdown.
Just reminded me of the good chess players that can see the moves on the board so many steps ahead, they know what their opponents move will be before it's made.

runninrazorback

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2019, 09:01:42 am »

When youíre paying them $3.5 Million per year you can. Especially when it is important to send the message to recruits, players and fans that you are all in and committed to the program.
And a coachís wife at a major program has an important role to play too.
Yea holy hell have we ever seen his wife?  Good point?

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2019, 09:06:22 am »

Red flag.

John Stephen Jones and K.J. Jefferson over on the sideline and not playing.

Fort Dweller

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2019, 09:13:26 am »

Red Flag:  Taking 6 games to realize Burks needs the ball 10+ times a game

SDZ_Hog

• Senior
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2019, 09:19:45 am »

Why does the starting qb getting first team reps play worse than the replacement for every game. Whether Hicks starts or it's Starkel?   Also, the time it takes to make the change.  If it wasn't for Boyd the O would have scored 6 points in 3 quarters against Kentucky. 

San Jose State at home. No excuse.     

Year 2.  70% or so of the offense installed.  Have nice drives against Ole Miss that stall out and end because of a wildcat or some other gimmick? (I can hear Benny Hill theme song playing in my head)

« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 09:39:40 am by SDZ_Hog »

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2019, 09:21:53 am »

Red Flag:  Club Dub
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas