• 10,546,209 Posts
• 415,591 Topics
• 23,821 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hogs predicament  (Read 1032 times)

gotcha

• Walk-On
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Hogs predicament
« on: October 15, 2019, 01:51:23 pm »

To be honest , it's bad anyway you look at it . Releasing the current coach and hiring a new coach  at this time only creates a start over from scratch  . I know you have to make the move sometime . I'm sure that most every recruit that has the opportunity to play college football would like to play for a ring at a major university and or a chance in the NFL . A recruit that chooses to play for Arkansas at this time is most likely to be another University's backup . Barring a miracle , and with a proven Division 1 coach , I do not see a vast improvement for this program for another 6 -8 years  . To the moderators , thank you for the explanation for the trash remark for my previous post . I did not intend to step on anyone's toes or make any derogatory remarks . I apologize .

farmhawg

Re: Hogs predicament
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 09:33:51 pm »

This is a gem and needs a bump....

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

David†

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 09:36:54 pm »

We're in a bad situation with no end anytime soon

sickboy

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 10:18:58 pm »

We’re in trouble right now. But 6-8 years means nothing in college football. A good coach can turn around a program like Arkansas in a few years, depending on the instate recruiting cycles.

PetrinoFan

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 10:21:41 pm »

We’re in trouble right now. But 6-8 years means nothing in college football. A good coach can turn around a program like Arkansas in a few years, depending on the instate recruiting cycles.

It will only take one year for the right coach to turn this around.

bacon&eggs

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 11:06:37 pm »

I was kind of thinking even the wrong coach could turn this dumpster fire in the right direction...

HardCore

• Hogvillian
  • Was it good for you too, Leo?
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 11:26:23 pm »

The right coach THIS year and we are sitting no worse than 4-2

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 11:32:42 pm »

Isnt 6-8 years the same as a few years?

One year? Really? I guess we have to define turn around. Win 6 games, maybe.

razback

• Varsity
The Arkansas job can be a great job!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 09:28:17 am »

The Arkansas job is a GREAT job.  Member of the SEC (and the West to boot).  We have a great fan base, amazing facilities, and great tradition.  I've been to places like Minnesota and Indiana and they've heard of the Hogs. They know the Hog call!!! I have a good friend who was born and raised in Nashville, TN (still living there) and he's a tremendous Arkansas fan.  All we need is a proven head coach (preferably one who has had prior success at a Power 5 school).  A head coach who's going to drive stakes in the ground, recruit wherever he needs to brings the best talent, build a fence around the state, and he can have great success. It can be done.  Petrino almost proved my point with the exception of poor motorcycle skills! Arkansas can be an amazing job under the right guy.   

Hawginj

Re: The Arkansas job can be a great job!
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 09:30:25 am »

The Arkansas job is a GREAT job.  Member of the SEC (and the West to boot).  We have a great fan base, amazing facilities, and great tradition.  I've been to places like Minnesota and Indiana and they've heard of the Hogs. They know the Hog call!!! I have a good friend who was born and raised in Nashville, TN (still living there) and he's a tremendous Arkansas fan.  All we need is a proven head coach (preferably one who has had prior success at a Power 5 school).  A head coach who's going to drive stakes in the ground, recruit wherever he needs to brings the best talent, build a fence around the state, and he can have great success. It can be done.  Petrino almost proved my point with the exception of poor motorcycle skills! Arkansas can be an amazing job under the right guy.
Yes!!! And Dilly Dilly!

ArkieBacon

• Varsity
  • HogBall Tue. Nov. 12 @ 7:00 PM
Re: The Arkansas job can be a great job!
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 09:34:44 am »

Amazing how so many here think different.
This is true and how we ended up with CCM knowing all of this is mind boggling.

The right coach could turn this dumpster fire into a winning program in less than 2 seasons.

texas tush hog

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 09:39:16 am »

Amazing how so many here think different.
This is true and how we ended up with CCM knowing all of this is mind boggling.

The right coach could turn this dumpster fire into a winning program in less than 2 seasons.

Agreed. Here, Here, Dilly, Dilly.

liljo

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 09:41:54 am »

Arkansas turn-around in ONE year? Two years???

BA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
 :) :D ;D :D ;D :) ;D ;D

Uh...no. ::)

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 09:47:59 am »

Arkansas turn-around in ONE year? Two years???

BA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
 :) :D ;D :D ;D :) ;D ;D

Uh...no. ::)
Disagree...If and that's a big IF, we could with the right coach, could win 6 next year and 8 the following year. However, the ability to hire the right coach is suspect at best.
We would need to bring in a coach who can develop college players into NFL talent. Make the move soon to save this years class and let BL act as interm.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 09:51:06 am »

Wrong. We are talented at a few positions with younger guys but we do not have near the overall across the board talent needed to do that. Especially on the OL. Granted better coaching will help but not turn it completely around that fast.

Hawginj

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 09:52:57 am »

Wrong. We are talented at a few positions with younger guys but we do not have near the overall across the board talent needed to do that.
There is enough talent on this team right now to have gone  bowling this year. But its not happening and the talent is jumping ship.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 09:56:00 am »

There is enough talent on this team right now to have gone  bowling this year. But its not happening and the talent is jumping ship.

Heck one can have a losing record nowadays and go bowling if approved. That's not necessarily considered a turnaround. Realistically we have the talent to win 4 to 6. That would be a step in the right direction but not a turnaround.

Hawginj

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2019, 10:00:04 am »

Heck one can have a losing record nowadays and go bowling if approved. That's not necessarily considered a turnaround. Realistically we have the talent to win 4 to 6. That would be a step in the right direction but not a turnaround.
6 wins this is a 6 win team this year and this staff failed those kids.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2019, 10:00:25 am »

It ALWAYS is about getting and having the right guy. Sometimes easier said than done. Sometimes you think you have the right  guy and don't and sometimes you don't think so and do. There are way to many variables. However you are right about the infrastructure and fanbase.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2019, 10:01:52 am »

6 wins this is a 6 win team this year and this staff failed those kids.
Six only if a couple of opponents played bad and we played lights out. Realistically 4 and maybe 5. Still not a turnaround in one year. Better expectations and record sure but not a turnaround.

Hawginj

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2019, 10:03:31 am »

Six only if a couple of opponents played bad and we played lights out. Realistically 4 and maybe 5.
No 6 win team with ease with the right leadership. They were good enough to be a 5 win team last year.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2019, 10:14:40 am »

No 6 win team with ease with the right leadership. They were good enough to be a 5 win team last year.

Not realistic and no last year they weren't. We can respectfully agree to disagree and move on or you can keep harping on it.

liljo

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2019, 10:17:05 am »

Disagree...If and that's a big IF, we could with the right coach, could win 6 next year and 8 the following year. However, the ability to hire the right coach is suspect at best.
We would need to bring in a coach who can develop college players into NFL talent. Make the move soon to save this years class and let BL act as interm.
I appreciate your take on it, man, I really do. I just honestly cannot close my eyes and imagine ANY scenario, or ANY human being on this blue planet that could turn that ship around and win 6 next year, and 8 the next...Don't get me wrong, I hope it happens, but it is beyond my wildest imagination. Players leaving, commits jumping ship, and all that likely to worsen...

I completely agree with your take that Arkansas has to have an expert "player-development" guy. I've always believed that. I was just hoping the staff Morris brought in was going to do just that. Caldwell and Chavis--I really thought we were going to be improved defensively this year. I knew the special teams would improve (and they have, significantly, in all areas). I hoped the new QBs and skill position talent would overcome the deficiencies in the O-line...I hoped the staff could greatly improve every player on the roster, and really thought we'd be very competitive this year in about 10 games, winning 6-7 of those.

As it stands, beyond improved special teams, there doesn't seem to be much else to show for over a year of working together as a staff. Now it looks like Chief just took the job to pad his retirement. Maybe Caldwell, too (who knows). The rest...Seems like only Lunney has really produced. I don't know. I just don't think there's anyone that can "fix" it. Now, I really DON'T mean it can't be fixed as in EVER. Just not in the next decade.

Hawginj

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2019, 10:18:54 am »

Not realistic and no last year they weren't. We can respectfully agree to disagree and move on or you can keep harping on it.
We can agree to disagree!

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2019, 10:23:45 am »

We can agree to disagree!

Fantastic. Have a nice day and Go Hogs!

Hawginj

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2019, 10:26:52 am »

Fantastic. Have a nice day and Go Hogs!
👍

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2019, 10:30:51 am »

I appreciate your take on it, man, I really do. I just honestly cannot close my eyes and imagine ANY scenario, or ANY human being on this blue planet that could turn that ship around and win 6 next year, and 8 the next...Don't get me wrong, I hope it happens, but it is beyond my wildest imagination. Players leaving, commits jumping ship, and all that likely to worsen...

I completely agree with your take that Arkansas has to have an expert "player-development" guy. I've always believed that. I was just hoping the staff Morris brought in was going to do just that. Caldwell and Chavis--I really thought we were going to be improved defensively this year. I knew the special teams would improve (and they have, significantly, in all areas). I hoped the new QBs and skill position talent would overcome the deficiencies in the O-line...I hoped the staff could greatly improve every player on the roster, and really thought we'd be very competitive this year in about 10 games, winning 6-7 of those.

As it stands, beyond improved special teams, there doesn't seem to be much else to show for over a year of working together as a staff. Now it looks like Chief just took the job to pad his retirement. Maybe Caldwell, too (who knows). The rest...Seems like only Lunney has really produced. I don't know. I just don't think there's anyone that can "fix" it. Now, I really DON'T mean it can't be fixed as in EVER. Just not in the next decade.
Changes in latitude, changes in attitude. We have talent currently in house right now to get 6 wins next year. Should of had 6 wins this year. Cut ties and stop the bleeding now. Why wait till the end of the year? Monday was "black monday" at the athletic department. Hoping that Morris will work out is gone and ain't coming back. Why wait and let more transfers and de-commits happen?

If they were willing to pay Gus 7M a year, don't tell me you can't get someone in here for 5M a year that can fix these issues.  Any coach that would say it's unfair to fire Morris now, I personally would never want them to coach at the UofA.

OkieBack

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2019, 01:58:48 pm »

I'm recounting traits that I feel contributed to the success Houston Nutt had.

--Better than average defenses
--Offense based on the running game with some passing sprinkled in
--Better than average QB talent
--Excellent RB's year in and year out
--Better than average recruiting on the lines

So looking at these items...why couldn't this repeat again at Arkansas with another coach who beholds similar traits? 

Some of you will say the game has changed as well as the SEC...but aren't half the teams in the SEC doing exactly these things I've listed above and are winning games? 

One thing that Nutt did that I think helped contribute to his success is that he didn't really run a complicated offense or at least it was almost like it lulled defenses to sleep until a big play popped loose.  Not flashy, but effective.  I think "effectiveness" is what has been overlooked by Morris so far.  What good are trick plays and complexity if its not getting you into the end zone? 

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2019, 02:12:55 pm »

I'm recounting traits that I feel contributed to the success Houston Nutt had.

--Better than average defenses
--Offense based on the running game with some passing sprinkled in
--Better than average QB talent
--Excellent RB's year in and year out
--Better than average recruiting on the lines

So looking at these items...why couldn't this repeat again at Arkansas with another coach who beholds similar traits? 

Some of you will say the game has changed as well as the SEC...but aren't half the teams in the SEC doing exactly these things I've listed above and are winning games? 

One thing that Nutt did that I think helped contribute to his success is that he didn't really run a complicated offense or at least it was almost like it lulled defenses to sleep until a big play popped loose.  Not flashy, but effective.  I think "effectiveness" is what has been overlooked by Morris so far.  What good are trick plays and complexity if its not getting you into the end zone? 
If you have a playbook in college that has more then 30 plays, good luck with that. Nutt's playbook may of had 10-12 plays BUT the O could execute them in their sleep.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas