• 10,546,504 Posts
• 415,601 Topics
• 23,821 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the problem Chad Morris' personality?  (Read 3002 times)

hogbbq

Is the problem Chad Morris' personality?
« on: October 15, 2019, 10:37:16 am »

I've been seeing post about players not getting a personal feel from Morris.  Reports, or rumors that he doesn't connect well to the players have been coming out.  Is this a problem that we are seeing manifested in how the players respond to his style of coaching? I'm curious because in his press conferences he seems very smug and detached from what is going on.  Nothing he says seems to come with any real feeling or sharing in the cause.  Interested in what others may know.

farmhawg

Re: Is the problem Chad Morris' personality?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 10:38:38 am »

No. He cant coach for crap.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Rudy Baylor

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • "Fire him and I'm coming home." Billy Ferrell
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 10:40:09 am »

....he seems very smug and detached from what is going on.  Nothing he says seems to come with any real feeling or sharing in the cause... 

spot on

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 10:40:57 am »

I'd be shocked if he has a bad personality just based on his recruiting.  I could be wrong though.

mj4president

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 10:41:18 am »

I've been seeing post about players not getting a personal feel from Morris.  Reports, or rumors that he doesn't connect well to the players have been coming out.  Is this a problem that we are seeing manifested in how the players respond to his style of coaching? I'm curious because in his press conferences he seems very smug and detached from what is going on.  Nothing he says seems to come with any real feeling or sharing in the cause.  Interested in what others may know.

This is why players loved Coach Nutt. He was the opposite, yes, had many flaws but they knew he had their back and loved the Razorback.

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 10:41:43 am »

Bielema was everybody's buddy and Morris is too smug and detached.  Can't win for losing.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 10:41:44 am »

most hs school coaches only connect to the studs. The rest are just pieces. plus, they lie a lot to players about playing time

jrulz83

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Lenin lived, Lenin lives, Lenin will live forever!
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 10:43:37 am »

The Chad is not head coach material.

The Chad is a high school coach in the worst of ways.

The Chad looks like Ronnie Floyd.

That’s my three strikes against The Chad.

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 10:44:46 am »

Yes.......no trust.

SemperFi

• Strongly despising the Morris Era!
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 10:46:15 am »

AGREED!!!!Personality has nothing to do with whether or not the man can coach, which from what we've all witnessed, he cannot.

Ironhawg

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 10:51:19 am »

One major problem with Morris seems to be paralysis by analysis or indecisiveness.

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 10:56:55 am »

I'd be shocked if he has a bad personality just based on his recruiting.  I could be wrong though.
Have you looked at his SMU recruiting?  He was no better than June Jones.  Sonny Dykes recruiting class last year was better than any class Chad ever had at SMU. Was Chad able to hold together his first recruiting class at Arkansas?  Last year was no better than CBB best (plus he let 2 instate 4 star lineman get away).  This year is on pace for our worst recruiting ranking in 30 years outside coaching transistion years.  Chad recruiting is more overated than his coaching, but only because nobody thinks he can coach.

Pennywise

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 10:57:48 am »

First bad look number one is he leaving his wife and kid in Texas. It puts off a bad vibe for not only the coach but what the wife thinks about this state.

No way in Hades Nick Saban leaves his wife and kid in another state. Much less causes Nick Saban to jet "home" every Thursday afternoon to watch his kid play high school football Friday night then return God knows when.

SMB Hogfan

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 11:00:26 am »

Don't know about his personal interaction with the players. He is simply just a bad coach. The coach is what his W-L record says he is. Like that or not. We hired a guy with a losing record at his only head coaching gig to come to the SEC West. Never understood why anyone thought that would work out. All the other side issues (wife not coming etc.......) just point to the first fact; we hired a high school coach. The product on the field looks exactly like....well.... a high school team.

woo.pig

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2019, 11:06:10 am »

He talks a lot and never actually says anything

hogbbq

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2019, 11:18:49 am »

First bad look number one is he leaving his wife and kid in Texas. It puts off a bad vibe for not only the coach but what the wife thinks about this state.

No way in Hades Nick Saban leaves his wife and kid in another state. Much less causes Nick Saban to jet "home" every Thursday afternoon to watch his kid play high school football Friday night then return God knows when.

I had brought up this very same issue when it was first revealed to the public and I got blasted for doing so.  I thought then and do now that it was at best a bad look for a new Head Coach to leave his family back in Texas and come here to coach and live.  At worst it reeks of lack of family support and as was said, a bad vibe coming from a family not wanting to be here.
When you are trying to rebuild a broken down program you just cannot make make public relations snafus such as Morris has.

DoctorSusscrofa

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2019, 11:19:42 am »

The guy seems to recruit well and seemed to be popular with high school coaches in Texas for years.  That doesn't smell like a personality problem.

Pennywise

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2019, 11:21:09 am »

I had brought up this very same issue when it was first revealed to the public and I got blasted for doing so.  I thought then and do now that it was at best a bad look for a new Head Coach to leave his family back in Texas and come here to coach and live.  At worst it reeks of lack of family support and as was said, a bad vibe coming from a family not wanting to be here.
When you are trying to rebuild a broken down program you just cannot make make public relations snafus such as Morris has.

Horrible, horrible look.

hogbbq

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2019, 11:30:48 am »

The guy seems to recruit well and seemed to be popular with high school coaches in Texas for years.  That doesn't smell like a personality problem.
There is an enormous difference between being popular with high school coaches, who by the way open the recruiting door to their high school talent, and making a connection with your players.  I think everyone familiar with coaching feels that a team with a connection to the coach, a trust and belief in them, (and I'm not saying they have to love the guy, but they have to think he has their interest at heart and he is in it with them) is going to perform better, play harder and achieve more.  The Hogs just don't have that look on the field. Unfortunately rumors are beginning to support that position.

The Kig

• Hogville Heroes
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2019, 11:39:59 am »

There have been many successful coaches who didn't become besties with their players. 

Maybe a more appropriate question is whether all the player attrition due to them not buying into the program since Morris arrived was smoke we ignored.

SooieGeneris

• Better Late Than Never
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2019, 11:41:51 am »

One major problem with Morris seems to be paralysis by analysis or indecisiveness.

I would tend to agree. For example: I don't recall which game it was but we had 4th and 1 or 2.

He sent the punt team in.

The crowd booed.

He called TO and sent the offense back out.

The offense gets a false start, now 4th and 6 or 7, sends punt team back in.

Wasted TO.

Against UK: Gets ball with a little over a minute left up 13-7 after UK had just scored a TD. Runs 2 minute offense for 2 plays for 8 yards, NO TIME OUT! With 2 TOs in his pocket that cannot be carried over like Basketball.

We should have called TO after the 1st play to save time. If you're not moving the ball or get in 3rd and long, then run out the clock or wait to see what the opponent does. But we were moving the ball with decent field position.

Morris said he thought UK would call time, so he didn't.. What?

Hog Fan...DOH!

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2019, 11:42:37 am »

Nothing is right when you lose.  Not a single thing. 

hogbbq

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2019, 11:59:10 am »

There have been many successful coaches who didn't become besties with their players. 

Maybe a more appropriate question is whether all the player attrition due to them not buying into the program since Morris arrived was smoke we ignored.
I didn't say they had to be besties.  In fact I think that's a bad idea.  If you are the coach you are the coach and not a player or one of the players buddies.  They don't even have to like you like a bestie.  They have to feel you care about their welfare as a perosn and their progress as a player.
Great example is Bobby Knight, yeah I know its basketball.  Knight drew lots of criticism and when things began to fall apart at Indiana and they started calling for his head, the biggest supports were ex players.  Not just the studs although many were there in his support but also some of the lesser known players.  The word was he was tough, hard ass and all that but that his players knew he was genuinely there for them in their life.  He did many kindnesses for players and especially ex players in their lives and to help them be successful.   
Now you may not agree about Knight but his players liked playing for him and they respected him and many stayed in contact after their careers ended.   
Morris just comes off as arrogant and not engaged. 

The Kig

• Hogville Heroes
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2019, 12:06:03 pm »

They have to feel you care about their welfare as a perosn and their progress as a player.

Agreed. 

OkieBack

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2019, 12:27:44 pm »

I can't see a killer instinct in Morris.  He's rah rah and motivates his players, however his play calling seems to circumvent the end zone way too often.  Too much razzle and not enough dazzle...

Sivad

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2019, 01:13:18 pm »

His players see right through him. Not just all his silly catchphrases and stunts like the grey sweats but they have no confidence in his coaching ability when they get to really know him. And they see him as a fake.

Wildhog

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2019, 01:14:45 pm »

He's a bleeding gash, so maybe.

rzrbaxfan

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2019, 01:24:05 pm »

There is a certain coach we all know that was smug as heck, but he won 22 of his last 27 games here. 

The problem isn't personality.  It's about the number of games won.

hogbbq

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2019, 09:17:31 pm »

There is a certain coach we all know that was smug as heck, but he won 22 of his last 27 games here. 

Most problems have numerous causes.  Chad has many.

sickboy

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2019, 10:21:19 pm »

I doubt his personality is the issue. Former players have been vocal about loving Morris. Deshaun Watson for one.

His issue is the pressure is turned up to eleven right now and he’s obviously not helping his guys win.

Fan1958

• Hogvillian
  • The Little Red Hen was obviously a conservative.
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2019, 10:24:09 pm »

I will have to dance here like The Chad does when asked a legitimate question, but I wonder if he has some sort of personality defect like, well, here we go, ADHD or something. He vacillates between seemingly being detached and being spastic. He oftentimes won't look people in the eye when speaking to them and stares at nothing.

He wants the players to buy in but he seemingly has not by failing  to move his family and by leaving the team every Friday afternoon.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2019, 10:26:03 pm »

I doubt his personality is the issue. Former players have been vocal about loving Morris. Deshaun Watson for one.

His issue is the pressure is turned up to eleven right now and he’s obviously not helping his guys win.

One on one or with a select group he may be great, but who knows how he is with 85 SEC level players.

I've heard that the players aren't really that all in on Chad. 

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2019, 10:30:15 pm »

Actually his personality may have been why he won here.  Having a personality doesn't mean being personable.

His personality was that of a hard a$$ that didn't play favorites, was detailed as hell, didn't take excuses, and demanded effort and execution on every play, and if you didn't give it you heard about it.

So his personality was what was needed after Nutt.  The only problem with his personality is that after awhile it doesn't work anymore.  It's good for short term turnarounds but maybe not sustained success.  It could be why when he finally reached a 5th year somewhere he tanked.

BILLYBOB

• Jack And Coke Please
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2019, 03:48:53 am »

The family in Dallas thing is insightful.  No matter what CCM says, he’s not truly “all in” because he won’t insist his own family move to Fayetteville.  More importantly it reflects his overall leadership approach. He’s a “waffler”. He can’t and won’t make difficult decisions. This is a serious weakness and is reflected in his inability choose a starting QB and make necessary staff changes.

To counter this weakness he tries to act like a hardass. But he’s not and the players and assistant coaches see right through his hammer down act. Football is a hard game and most players have to be pushed out of their comfort zones.  In order to get everything out of a player, there must be consequences and accountability for poor play. That just isn’t happening.

I think Chad Morris is a good man who is simply in over his head. He needs to be a coordinator at a big school or a head coach at a small school. He’s just not a big school head coach. It’s not in his DNA.

LZH

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2019, 04:34:28 am »

Same here.

HogBreath

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2019, 05:15:59 am »

The family in Dallas thing is insightful.  No matter what CCM says, he’s not truly “all in” because he won’t insist his own family move to Fayetteville.  More importantly it reflects his overall leadership approach. He’s a “waffler”. He can’t and won’t make difficult decisions. This is a serious weakness and is reflected in his inability choose a starting QB and make necessary staff changes.

To counter this weakness he tries to act like a hardass. But he’s not and the players and assistant coaches see right through his hammer down act. Football is a hard game and most players have to be pushed out of their comfort zones.  In order to get everything out of a player, there must be consequences and accountability for poor play. That just isn’t happening.

I think Chad Morris is a good man who is simply in over his head. He needs to be a coordinator at a big school or a head coach at a small school. He’s just not a big school head coach. It’s not in his DNA.

Great take, Doctor.

HardCore

• Hogvillian
  • Was it good for you too, Leo?
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2019, 06:05:43 am »

Some coaches are just built to be coordinators as opposed to being the head of the program......appears to be the case in this situation.

ComeonHogs!!!

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2019, 10:41:34 am »

It does not seem to me that morris believes he belongs in the SEC WEST, i truly see doubt and fear in his demeanor. I believe the players see it, sense it and play like it. Things will not change until he makes up his own damn mind about if he should truly be here. Please hurry coach piss or get off the pot!

OkieBack

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2019, 11:38:21 am »

I can't argue with this take.  I had hoped that Morris and Staff would make the right calls and players would respond but I think the waffling is a big problem.  That and the fact his family doesn't live in Fayetteville.  It doesn't make the buy-in by Morris, the head coach, seem very legitimate.  Morris hasn't vested his life in Fayetteville as other coaches have. 

Hawgphat

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2019, 11:40:36 am »

Nope.  "Personality" doesn't translate to on-the-field issues and decisions.

SeldomHere

• My all-time favorite gender.
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2019, 12:28:57 pm »

I agree, but he can't coach for the millions he is being paid either.

SeldomHere

• My all-time favorite gender.
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2019, 12:31:11 pm »

Nope.  "Personality" doesn't translate to on-the-field issues and decisions.
That sounds good but probably not 100% true. How could Nutt get them so fired up sometime and Morris looks like he just brought them out after their dog died.

hogbbq

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2019, 01:58:35 pm »

Couple of things that Morris got wrong from the beginning.
If Morris could not buy in whole Hog, (leaving his family in Texas)  maybe he should have waited until he was ready to buy in with the entire family. 
Inexperienced staff. Too young and too inexperienced in many cases.  Others perhaps not a good fit or just past their time.
Telling Morris now he has to make changes in his staff just recognizes the mistakes, including hiring him to begin with, but fails to commit to a cure which is get rid of the problem at the top.

ArkieBacon

• Varsity
  • HogBall Tue. Nov. 12 @ 7:00 PM
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2019, 02:03:18 pm »

CCM deep down knew he wasn't going to be able win or out-couch anyone in the SEC.  Knowing this, would you move your family to Arkansas? Leaving them vulnerable to the likes of us?

Justifiable Hogicide

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2019, 02:04:06 pm »

Who pays the $$$$ for all this foolishness?

hogbbq

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2019, 02:20:59 pm »

Who pays the $$$$ for all this foolishness?
I hope CCM is paying for his own personal travel to and from Texas. 
Couple other questions?  How often does his family travel to Hog games?  Who pays for that? ( I hope its CCM)
Did the administration know that the Morris family was not going to move to Fayetteville when they gave Morris the job.  If they did they are totally nuts.

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2019, 02:32:19 pm »

All hat. No cattle.

Smokehouse

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2019, 02:59:21 pm »

Have you looked at his SMU recruiting?  He was no better than June Jones.  Sonny Dykes recruiting class last year was better than any class Chad ever had at SMU. Was Chad able to hold together his first recruiting class at Arkansas?  Last year was no better than CBB best (plus he let 2 instate 4 star lineman get away).  This year is on pace for our worst recruiting ranking in 30 years outside coaching transistion years.  Chad recruiting is more overated than his coaching, but only because nobody thinks he can coach.

Not just June Jones, but late-SMU-career June Jones who didn't give a crap.

I pointed this out back when the hire was first announced and his calling cards were supposed to be "recruiting" and "ran the Clemson offense before they won a championship." I checked out emotionally as much as I could after looking at those recruiting numbers, get a little reinvested with last year's class, then immediately regretted my decision not to stick with detachment.

This should have all been obvious by the numbers when he was hired, but he managed to sell the fans and then lost most of us. So, I could see his personality being fine in the short-term and in tightly controlled communication environments but totally failing to sustain lasting trust in the face of repeated and obvious failures.

hogbbq

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2019, 03:29:20 pm »

Not just June Jones, but late-SMU-career June Jones who didn't give a crap.

I pointed this out back when the hire was first announced and his calling cards were supposed to be "recruiting" and "ran the Clemson offense before they won a championship." I checked out emotionally as much as I could after looking at those recruiting numbers, get a little reinvested with last year's class, then immediately regretted my decision not to stick with detachment.

This should have all been obvious by the numbers when he was hired, but he managed to sell the fans and then lost most of us. So, I could see his personality being fine in the short-term and in tightly controlled communication environments but totally failing to sustain lasting trust in the face of repeated and obvious failures.
For those who were sold by Chad Morris, well I've got a famous bridge out in the Mohave Desert I'd like to sell you.  I understand fans wanting to believe and wanting to be supportive.  In the case of Chad Morris the product should have had a tag on it that said, purchaser uses at own risk.
His lack of experience as a HC in college with a definite lack of success should have been a deal breaker from the get go. 

Pig Worshipper

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2019, 07:07:28 pm »

Chad Morris has all the personality of wet cardboard.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas