• 10,661,148 Posts
• 417,890 Topics
• 24,501 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Today’s update 10/15/19  (Read 16707 times)

upperdeck_hawg

Re: Today’s update 10/15/19
« Reply #550 on: October 16, 2019, 09:26:21 am »

If Morris does get fired, and it’s all a matter of finances if he doesn’t get things turned around, MY list would look like this:

1. Mike Leach
2. Matt Campbell
3. Hugh Freeze
4. Bill Clark
5. Butch Jones

* I think Norvell is a damn good coach, but a couple of things came back on his background during our last coaching search

** I think Eliah Drinkwitz will be the next great young up and coming coach, but we can’t risk hiring someone with just one season as head coach. 

Porkatarian out...

Leach and Norvell should be the only ones on any list. Proven winners against P5 competition. Norvell is the preferred option IMO because he is younger and has more upside.

Hawginj

« Reply #551 on: October 16, 2019, 09:27:52 am »

My list would be Kiffin, Norvell, Leach, Clawson, and if all fails Drinkwitz.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

upperdeck_hawg

« Reply #552 on: October 16, 2019, 09:29:57 am »

My list would be Kiffin, Norvell, Leach, Clawson, and if all fails Drinkwitz.

I dont get the Kiffin love other than his hot wife. Failed and left two places burning at Tenner and USC

Hawginj

« Reply #553 on: October 16, 2019, 09:32:46 am »

I dont get the Kiffin love other than his hot wife. Failed and left two places burning at Tenner and USC
He graduated Saban college with honor's and is 18 billion times the recruiter Chad is. Also has the contacts and ability to put together a staff this place hasn't seen since dear ole Frank. Think about it.

upperdeck_hawg

« Reply #554 on: October 16, 2019, 09:34:20 am »

He graduated Saban college with honor's and is 18 billion times the recruiter Chad is. Also has the contacts and ability to put together a staff this place hasn't seen since dear ole Frank. Think about it.

Think about his failures at TN and USC

Pennywise

« Reply #555 on: October 16, 2019, 09:35:20 am »

What's the difference between being let go and fired?

And we can let go of the fiary tale he will resign. He isn't going to do that.

Also Michael Scott was an amazing salesman but a horrible boss. Maybe morris is just a great OC and horrible coach.

Say what you want about Michael scott........

porque

« Reply #556 on: October 16, 2019, 09:35:22 am »

Kiffin hasn't had a hot wife in several years.

upperdeck_hawg

« Reply #557 on: October 16, 2019, 09:36:23 am »

The more reason to cross him off any potential list

Pennywise

« Reply #558 on: October 16, 2019, 09:37:54 am »

His has that wonderful "Arkansas connection" that people love.

Hawginj

« Reply #559 on: October 16, 2019, 09:38:45 am »

Everybody fails at some point in life, Saban didn't tear the world up at Michigan St. Dabo has failed, it's what you learn from those failures that push you to success.

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #560 on: October 16, 2019, 09:40:44 am »

He might not ever be hired here, was just calling about some irony.  Also the skeletons thing is tired.  If someone knows what they are spill it.  If not it's just a circle jerk rumor.  He's been a successful HC for 4+ years and is known enough that it would have come out if anything serious or worth knowing. 
I think it's more of a "face of the program" problem...not skeletons in the closet. Some of the old guard would have to be gone to facilitate a hire like Norvell. They don't take him serious. With that said HY might take a look at him but hopefully he will have others to consider.

upperdeck_hawg

« Reply #561 on: October 16, 2019, 09:41:50 am »

Everybody fails at some point in life, Saban didn't tear the world up at Michigan St. Dabo has failed, it's what you learn from those failures that push you to success.

What if it's not just a coincidence and he's not cut to be a P5 head coach? He had all the advantages any coach could have at SC and sucked. Can we afford to take that chance?

Hawginj

« Reply #562 on: October 16, 2019, 09:46:24 am »

What if it's not just a coincidence and he's not cut to be a P5 head coach? He had all the advantages any coach could have at SC and sucked. Can we afford to take that chance?
SC was on probation come on. Tennessee was well Tennessee and they would take him back in a heartbeat. Yes we can afford to take it. Its less of a chance then Morris by a long shot.

upperdeck_hawg

« Reply #563 on: October 16, 2019, 09:50:01 am »

SC was on probation come on. Tennessee was well Tennessee and they would take him back in a heartbeat. Yes we can afford to take it. Its less of a chance then Morris by a long shot.

They were on probation but still stacked with 4 and 5 stars. TN was also full of 4 and 5 star talent when he was there. More telling is how glad the USC brass were to be rid of him after he completely lost the team.

Hawginj

« Reply #564 on: October 16, 2019, 09:58:16 am »

They were on probation but still stacked with 4 and 5 stars. TN was also full of 4 and 5 star talent when he was there. More telling is how glad the USC brass were to be rid of him after he completely lost the team.
that was also a lifetime ago in football years he has won championships with Saban and done very good things at FAU. You don't think he has learned from his mistakes? Besides  what has USC done since Carroll  left? Little to nothing! Still stacked with 4&5 stars.

Pennywise

« Reply #565 on: October 16, 2019, 10:03:15 am »

I find it sad that both Arkansas and Tennessee fired "sorry coaches" who are both HOF coaches and both programs have been in the dumpster since.

Hawginj

« Reply #566 on: October 16, 2019, 10:06:52 am »

I find it sad that both Arkansas and Tennessee fired "sorry coaches" who are both HOF coaches and both programs have been in the dumpster since.
I don't thats the way it goes Nutt needed to go! It was unfortunate that BP went the way it did and that BB just couldn't get it done. Its not like the table wasn't set for success and good hires were made. Well except this last one but you get my point.

razback

« Reply #567 on: October 16, 2019, 10:16:00 am »

I'll probably get ripped for saying this but though Leech has a brilliant offensive mind, he doesn't care about defense and he's got a potty mouth deeper than the Grand Canyon! He tosses F-bombs like you wouldn't believe. His locker room talk in disgusting.

upperdeck_hawg

« Reply #568 on: October 16, 2019, 10:19:09 am »

I'll probably get ripped for saying this but though Leech has a brilliant offensive mind, he doesn't care about defense and he's got a potty mouth deeper than the Grand Canyon! He tosses F-bombs like you wouldn't believe. His locker room talk in disgusting.

AYSM -Bobby Petrino

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #569 on: October 16, 2019, 10:20:45 am »

BP says "hold my beer".

hoglady

« Reply #570 on: October 16, 2019, 10:22:43 am »

If we start taking coaches off the list who have a "potty mouth" in the locker room or the sideline for that matter - it would sure make for a short list of available coaches.

Seebs

« Reply #571 on: October 16, 2019, 10:33:38 am »

If we start taking coaches off the list who have a "potty mouth" in the locker room or the sideline for that matter - it would sure make for a short list of available coaches.
Snowflake coaches play snowflake games.  I'd like an ex-con with face tats to run this team please.

Rooster53

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #572 on: October 16, 2019, 10:45:21 am »

Must LOVE this STATE and know the CHALLENGES this STATE faces.

I think it might just be a little more important to be able to coach.

Wildhog

« Reply #573 on: October 16, 2019, 10:53:47 am »

Who cares about his language?  Just win. 

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #574 on: October 16, 2019, 11:03:05 am »

damn, you are about a DECADE out of date, dude.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #575 on: October 16, 2019, 11:03:57 am »

not as bad as POTUS and y'all love his foul ass mouth....

earshot

« Reply #576 on: October 16, 2019, 11:09:55 am »

Kiffin hasn't done any program building. Look at his last 2 jobs. Best season was first year and lost more games each additional year.

Spektre

« Reply #577 on: October 16, 2019, 11:15:38 am »

This is why we can't have nice things.

Dropkick

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I'm somewhere in the middle
« Reply #578 on: October 16, 2019, 11:19:37 am »

You aren't gonna want Norvell either then......

Pork Twain

« Reply #579 on: October 16, 2019, 11:44:48 am »

AYSM -Bobby Petrino
leach is no BP, he is HDN

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #580 on: October 16, 2019, 12:09:31 pm »

Nobody is going to be 100% on board with anyone we get. Leach, Norvell and Kiffin are all realistic choices that would probably come here with the right offer. I think each one would do well and do it quickly. Quickly meaning significant improvement from where we are now by year 2. Unfortunately, we are going to decline further with this inept staff. 

Any one of those guys would at least be 4-2 and more likely 5-1 with the current team.

SeldomHere

• All-American Hogvillian
  • My all-time favorite gender.
« Reply #581 on: October 16, 2019, 12:13:47 pm »

Nothing they ain't already hearing in their music. LOL
Locker rooms are not kindergartens.

SeldomHere

• My all-time favorite gender.
« Reply #582 on: October 16, 2019, 12:15:18 pm »

But, do we know where he's been fishing and what's he reeling in?

hogchic2001

« Reply #583 on: October 16, 2019, 12:19:50 pm »

But look at how well Orgeron is doing at LSU.

Hawginj

« Reply #584 on: October 16, 2019, 12:31:10 pm »

Nobody is going to be 100% on board with anyone we get. Leach, Norvell and Kiffin are all realistic choices that would probably come here with the right offer. I think each one would do well and do it quickly. Quickly meaning significant improvement from where we are now by year 2. Unfortunately, we are going to decline further with this inept staff. 

Any one of those guys would at least be 4-2 and more likely 5-1 with the current team.
Agreed

liljo

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #585 on: October 16, 2019, 12:54:19 pm »

Yeah, but the "current team" wouldn't be the same if those guys had been hired. Everything, all the "what ifs" "if only" talk is just that.
Talk.

Leach said something complimentary of WMS and people act like he was itching to come here. Maybe he was, maybe not. I would have been in full support of him if he had. I was excited thinking about Norvell and how it would be fun if he were here and we were scoring a zillion points. He'd have had my full support.

Kiffin...If that had been the hire, I'd have rooted for him all the way.

Morris was hired. I pulled for him all the way, and now that has pretty much proven to be yet another failure, so I'm resigned to being positive about only one thing--we'll never win big in my lifetime.

Period.

Youngsta71701

• There's a God somewhere.
« Reply #586 on: October 16, 2019, 03:01:25 pm »

Jason Garrett?
Jay Gruden?
No.
Hell no!!

Youngsta71701

« Reply #587 on: October 16, 2019, 03:02:39 pm »

True, but you should still be able to beat SJS, one would think.
Now I can agree with that. And Kentucky with a WR playing QB.

Youngsta71701

« Reply #588 on: October 16, 2019, 03:08:02 pm »

We need a good defensive head coach or the best DC we can get. Good defense is the quickest way to turn around a program. JMO...

LZH

« Reply #589 on: October 18, 2019, 04:28:00 am »

I'm just not understanding why a coach that is regarded by MANY including Dabo Sweeney and others in the coaching profession who say Chad Morris is a coaching genius and has high respect in the field.

My opinion is, he gets let go, resigns, fired....he moves on to something else and is highly successful.

You very well be right.

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!
« Reply #590 on: October 18, 2019, 09:49:31 am »

Leach has lost three straight games in his own pansy league. He's a nutcase.

Whoever is here needs a lot better players in the OL and at LB to be any good against anyone. They need better (or at least more experienced) DEs and DBs. They need more D-1 FBS-level speed. Either Morris is going to bring that in, or he's not and he'll continue to lose and be fired eventually.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #591 on: October 18, 2019, 09:52:45 am »

I'm just not understanding why a coach that is regarded by MANY including Dabo Sweeney and others in the coaching profession who say Chad Morris is a coaching genius and has high respect in the field.

My opinion is, he gets let go, resigns, fired....he moves on to something else and is highly successful.

Pat Summit gushed about Susie Gardner.  You see where that got us.

007 License To Squeal

• Global Moderator
  • Fmr USAF Combat Crew Titan II Launch Crew Member
« Reply #592 on: October 18, 2019, 09:53:09 am »

Whoever is here needs a lot better players in the OL and at LB to be any good against anyone. They need better (or at least more experienced) DEs and DBs. They need more D-1 FBS-level speed. Either Morris is going to bring that in, or he's not and he'll continue to lose and be fired eventually.

I don't see any evidence to indicate Morris can bring in those linemen.....

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • What does not kill you makes you almost dead.
« Reply #593 on: October 18, 2019, 09:55:24 am »

Morris was praised for his work as an offensive assistant coach. A lot of guys get over-promoted. Head coach is a much different job.

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #594 on: October 18, 2019, 09:55:26 am »

I don't see any evidence to indicate Morris can bring in those linemen.....

Even when he does, he doesn't.

Gonna take someone with a successful--and recognizable--track record to turn this around.  Oh, and a dump truck full of money.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #595 on: October 18, 2019, 10:20:29 am »

Good assessment and spot on I'm sure. To me, the bigger issue is Morris isn't getting anything near what he should be getting out of the players he does have. Game plans appear terrible at best as well. The coaching is so inept at times it's hard to tell exactly what we do have talent wise.

hogboarder

« Reply #596 on: October 18, 2019, 10:32:16 am »

Kiffin wants no part of a rebuild of this caliber. IF he did take it, he’s the kind of guy that would be ok getting fired after a couple of years and taking the buyout.

Razorback de Nosferatu

« Reply #597 on: October 18, 2019, 10:50:50 am »

Leach might be a nutcase, but he's won pretty well in Lubbock and Pullman. The guy's been a major conference FBS head coach for nearly 20 years in two places where it's not easy to win. He's earned the right to not be judged on this three game losing skid, in my opinion.

Arkansas does need more talent on the OL and on defense. But as has been discussed many times, this team has proven several times over the past two years that the talent is there to win a conference game, so the talent is dang sure there to beat these scrub rent-a-wins that Morris insists on repeatedly losing to.

There are flaws on Leach's resume. Lord knows he's weird. He's also proven to be--at the very least--highly competent at the power 5 level, which is a heck of a lot more than our guy can say.

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #598 on: October 18, 2019, 11:14:09 am »

They don’t pull money already donated, and they don’t threaten the AD in week 6. No doubt you will hear this rumor 100s of times in next few months with no names actually mentioned....
You donate every year.  You let them know if Chad is still hear, there will be no donations going forward.  I pulled my money back in the HDN days, including money not designated for atheletics.  I was told that one really had nothing to do with the other, I then informed them that BOT controlled both and this was my message to them.   In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have done that, but I did.   

East TN HAWG

• Hogville.net
« Reply #599 on: October 18, 2019, 11:35:56 am »

Morris was praised for his work as an offensive assistant coach. A lot of guys get over-promoted. Head coach is a much different job.
Your right.  I think CCM's greatest failure is the hires that he made.  Craddock was not ready to be a offensive coordinator in the SEC.  Even though he has stunk it up, I don't think the Chavis was a bad hire because of his knowledge and expeience, but that experiment is not working out.  Other questionable hires were Smith, Frye and maybe Ingram. 

CCM placed a high priority on recruiting, and lower priority on game planning.  It should be close to a 50/50 mix.  Now, he can't out recruit his poor game planing and player development.

CCM has a good vision and seems to be a good guy, but hired the wrong people in lofty positions to execute it.  I think its too late now to change the mindset of the fanbase.  He has lost it.    The tide as turned, and if he is retained he would need 8 games next year. I don't think any OC /DC could turn it fast enough.     
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas