• 10,677,042 Posts
• 418,366 Topics
• 24,555 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Today’s update 10/15/19  (Read 16804 times)

DoubleReedHawgCaller

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • That's nice.... Real nice!
Re: Today’s update 10/15/19
« Reply #500 on: October 15, 2019, 09:49:51 pm »

Recruiting Texas is what we need to go along with someone that can actually coach. You find that guy you've got your man.

PorkSoda

« Reply #501 on: October 15, 2019, 09:50:51 pm »

Recruiting Texas is what we need to go along with someone that can actually coach. You find that guy you've got your man.
I don't care where he recruits as long as he can coach and evaluate talent.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

PetrinoFan

« Reply #502 on: October 15, 2019, 09:51:20 pm »

Norvell? Mack Brown?

grayhawg

« Reply #503 on: October 15, 2019, 09:53:56 pm »

Rich guys with limited football knowledge got us in this mess and appear to now be trying to make it worse.  HY walked in the door and was handed the check book to get Gus and if that didn't happen to get Morris. I love what he's done with other decisions so far, can we just let the AD do AD stuff until the end of the season???
He had little if anythingt o do with either one.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

« Reply #504 on: October 15, 2019, 10:00:24 pm »

Norvell? Mack Brown?
Bob Stoops (long shot)
Art Briles (if you're willing to look over what happened at Baylor)
Mike Leach ( as long as he doesn't turn into a butt pirate I guess)
Mike Gundy ( the oil man is dead)

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #505 on: October 15, 2019, 10:06:15 pm »

Bob Stoops (long shot)
Art Briles (if you're willing to look over what happened at Baylor)
Mike Leach ( as long as he doesn't turn into a butt pirate I guess)
Mike Gundy ( the oil man is dead)

When Briles got hired to coach again at a TX public school he clearly was able to show the Baylor stuff was beyond him. Supposedly, his wife won't leave TX. We kinda have discovered that is something we aren't all that comfortable with.

Hawg_E_Style

« Reply #506 on: October 15, 2019, 10:30:28 pm »

Well, the boys over around Delight think Chad gets to make staff changes and he gets one more year.

Delight? If it didnt come from Kirby it aint real news

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #507 on: October 15, 2019, 10:41:43 pm »

When Briles got hired to coach again at a TX public school he clearly was able to show the Baylor stuff was beyond him. Supposedly, his wife won't leave TX. We kinda have discovered that is something we aren't all that comfortable with.

She is living in Mt. Vernon.  She’ll leave.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • 6/27/18: Just another layer of scar tissue
« Reply #508 on: October 15, 2019, 10:55:24 pm »

I guess the ghost of George Washington scares her.

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!
« Reply #509 on: October 15, 2019, 10:58:23 pm »

So Porktitarian says Norvell isn't on his list because some "skeletons" came up when he was vetted last time.

I thought I'd go back and look at Pork's info on the BBall search.  Notice below he claimed at the time that Muss was offered but BOT wouldn't approve because of Muss's supposed skeletons.  So how did that turnout?  I'm thinking the supposed skeletons were probably floated by someone not wanting us to hire Muss, HY sniffed out the BS, and low and behold ended up hiring Muss.

Jump Ball / This is how it all went down...
« on: April 04, 2019, 11:28:57 am »
Some trustees wanted to wait and talk to Chris Beard after the final four, before we offered anybody else.

We came to an agreement in principal with Kelvin Sampson last weekend.  He had the contract in hard, but never signed it.   We moved on to Plan B, and Sampson got a nice raise and extension to stay at Houston.

We offered Eric Musselman, but the BOT Athletic Committee wouldn’t approve it.  Apparently EM has some skeletons in the closet.

Yurachek met with and offered the job to Gregg Marshall last night.  Hearing he will be our next head coach.

Flame away!

Porkatarian out...

Norvell and Musselman with skeletons in their closets. It's Halloween!!! yeah, bring him.

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #510 on: October 15, 2019, 11:18:40 pm »

Basketball is not football...

But Musselman was not exactly a household name, and not exactly a rockstar on the recruiting trail. Nevada? HY was able to dive deeply into the resume and see things that maybe the average fan doesn't see.

I write that because I think a boatload of fans think "recruiting Texas" is a set-in-stone mandate for a HC. I might gently remind that is about the #1 reason offered up for Chad being (a) hired and (b) retained. Seems a tad bit myopic. Not that recruiting Texas isn't important. Building relationships is important. Having charisma is important. Selling a vision for your program is important. Do those things and the proximity and history of UA in Texas recruiting will eventually work itself out.

Get a great football mind. Get someone with some charisma. Get someone who has a plan/has vision. Recruiting will follow.

A "recruiting first" or "recruiting is everything" mindset might work for your fantasy football draft but there are other elements needed. (Not that anyone wouldn't agree, but just feeling compelled to remind).

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #511 on: October 15, 2019, 11:25:14 pm »

Norvell and Musselman with skeletons in their closets. It's Halloween!!! yeah, bring him.
Norvell won't be hired ever at the UofA.

rtr

« Reply #512 on: October 15, 2019, 11:26:28 pm »

But Musselman was not exactly a household name, and not exactly a rockstar on the recruiting trail. Nevada? HY was able to dive deeply into the resume and see things that maybe the average fan doesn't see.

I write that because I think a boatload of fans think "recruiting Texas" is a set-in-stone mandate for a HC. I might gently remind that is about the #1 reason offered up for Chad being (a) hired and (b) retained. Seems a tad bit myopic. Not that recruiting Texas isn't important. Building relationships is important. Having charisma is important. Selling a vision for your program is important. Do those things and the proximity and history of UA in Texas recruiting will eventually work itself out.

Get a great football mind. Get someone with some charisma. Get someone who has a plan/has vision. Recruiting will follow.

A "recruiting first" or "recruiting is everything" mindset might work for your fantasy football draft but there are other elements needed. (Not that anyone wouldn't agree, but just feeling compelled to remind).
That, my friend, is the wisest post on this board.   I hope the PTB take heed.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #513 on: October 15, 2019, 11:45:13 pm »

Isn’t it ironic don’t you think....that the person saying they doubt U A would hire Norvell because of his so called skeletons said the same exact thing about Muss.  Actually said BOT rejected Muss. Then same person also floats rumors about Freezus, a man with known skeletons.  The absurdity & hypocrisy of it all
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 08:32:19 am by Dwight_K_Shrute »

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #514 on: October 15, 2019, 11:53:28 pm »

Isn’t it ironic don’t you think....that the person saying they doubt U A would hire Norvell because of his so called skeletons said the same exact thing about Muss.  Actually said BOT rejected Muss. Then same person also floats rumors about Freezus, a man with known skeletons.  The absurd & hypocrisy of it all
Simple answer is football and basketball aren't the same when it comes to hiring of HC's.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
« Reply #515 on: October 16, 2019, 12:01:00 am »

Simple answer is football and basketball aren't the same when it comes to hiring of HC's.

He might not ever be hired here, was just calling about some irony.  Also the skeletons thing is tired.  If someone knows what they are spill it.  If not it's just a circle jerk rumor.  He's been a successful HC for 4+ years and is known enough that it would have come out if anything serious or worth knowing. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 08:30:13 am by Dwight_K_Shrute »

HogFan4Eva

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #516 on: October 16, 2019, 12:05:52 am »

He might not every be hired here, was just calling about some irony.  Also the skeletons thing is tired.  If someone knows what they are spill it.  If not it's just a circle jerk rumor.  He's been a successful HC for 4+ years and is known enough that it would have come out if anything serious or worth knowing.
Norvell doesn’t have any skeletons that prevent him from taking this job and that is a fact.

porkrindjimmy

« Reply #517 on: October 16, 2019, 12:09:39 am »

Isn’t it ironic don’t you think....that the person saying they doubt U A would hire Norvell because of his so called skeletons said the same exact thing about Muss.  Actually said BOT rejected Muss. Then same person also floats rumors about Freezus, a man with known skeletons.  The absurd & hypocrisy of it all

You know why that goes on. Line gnat's to the apple cider.

Muss had zero skeletons. Wasn't rejected by the BOT, was actually our AD's first choice but we had to deal with one dude and his infatuation with Beard.

Norvell likes coeds and camera phones.

PRJ

hawaiianhogster

• Varsity
« Reply #518 on: October 16, 2019, 12:10:27 am »

The phones are ringing off the hook in both the AD’s office and the Razorback Foundation.   

Multiple boosters have let Yurachek know they’re pulling their donations until Morris is gone.

This is coming from a former trustee, fwiw.

Porkatarian out...

Those boosters better fork over multi-millions of dollars if they want him fired. If I were the AD I would tell them to think about it before they do something they will regret later. I would tell them that I make the decisions based on my observations and not their pocketbooks. It is my job to ensure the program is in good hands. Until then no one is going to get fired.

The boosters screwed everything up in the first place. We are where we are now because of them and their stupid decision to fire Bret and go after someone they could not get. They pissed off Gus long ago and Gus screwed them over real good by staying at Auburn. He has the last laugh. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

HogFan4Eva

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #519 on: October 16, 2019, 12:12:23 am »

Muss had zero skeletons. Wasn't rejected by the BOT, was actually our AD's first choice but we had to deal with one dude and his infatuation with Beard.

PRJ

PRJ,

Any word on if we are actually serious about getting rid of CCM after year 2 if we go 2-10 or 3-9? Also any word on if we might actually have interest in Kiffin this time and try to get him?

hawaiianhogster

• Varsity
« Reply #520 on: October 16, 2019, 12:20:36 am »

The one element that is missing is getting the experience these young recruits need to be really good at playing and winning football. One and a half are not enough. Not even two or three years. 4 to 6 years are the winning years. Take that to the bank.

I keep forgetting. You guys want microwave instant winning soup. Cook for 3 mins and your national champions. Good luck with that.

I remember allot of fans not liking what the media outlets and other teams fans were saying about us and making fun of Arkansas fans wanting to fire Bret and especially trying to get Gus and ending up with Chad. You guys sure you want to go through that again and possibly with the same results or mediocre results at best?

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
« Reply #521 on: October 16, 2019, 12:21:05 am »

PRJ

I’m not doubting that Muss had zero skeletons. What I am calling out is the insiders own account that Muss did have skeletons & was rejected by the BOT.  Was proven 100% wrong on that but then turns around & claims same thing on Norvell.  Maybe it’s true about Norvell maybe it’s not. Right now it’s just message board rumor, period, & constantly repeating it doesn’t make it more or less true.  Until that box is opened it’s basically Schroedingers D!ck Pic

hawaiianhogster

• Varsity
« Reply #522 on: October 16, 2019, 12:24:17 am »

You guys bring in a POS coach and you will lose the fan base big time. You will be the biggest laughing stock in all of football at every level of football. Your negativity is the leading factor if the program fails. Take that to the bank.  :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

HogFan4Eva

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #523 on: October 16, 2019, 12:28:52 am »

You guys bring in a POS coach and you will lose the fan base big time. You will be the biggest laughing stock in all of football at every level of football. Your negativity is the leading factor if the program fails. Take that to the bank.  :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:
Did you miss the San Jose game? We already are the laughing stock.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

« Reply #524 on: October 16, 2019, 04:37:10 am »

PRJ
That sounds a lot like an ol David Allen Cole song I've heard before.

Pork Twain

« Reply #525 on: October 16, 2019, 06:07:38 am »

So Porktitarian says Norvell isn't on his list because some "skeletons" came up when he was vetted last time.

I thought I'd go back and look at Pork's info on the BBall search.  Notice below he claimed at the time that Muss was offered but BOT wouldn't approve because of Muss's supposed skeletons.  So how did that turnout?  I'm thinking the supposed skeletons were probably floated by someone not wanting us to hire Muss, HY sniffed out the BS, and low and behold ended up hiring Muss.

Jump Ball / This is how it all went down...
« on: April 04, 2019, 11:28:57 am »
Some trustees wanted to wait and talk to Chris Beard after the final four, before we offered anybody else.

We came to an agreement in principal with Kelvin Sampson last weekend.  He had the contract in hard, but never signed it.   We moved on to Plan B, and Sampson got a nice raise and extension to stay at Houston.

We offered Eric Musselman, but the BOT Athletic Committee wouldn’t approve it.  Apparently EM has some skeletons in the closet.

Yurachek met with and offered the job to Gregg Marshall last night.  Hearing he will be our next head coach.

Flame away!

Porkatarian out...

Pork cracks me up.  He is wrong as much as he is right and I think that is just the nature of the beast...shifting sands and all that.  I do love how some on here take everything certain posters say, as pure solid gold gospel though.  I would not want to be putting my name out there with how much things can and do change.  When Mike I, Okla and a couple others speak, I listen...

ricepig

« Reply #526 on: October 16, 2019, 06:52:04 am »

So?? Neither was Morris’, and we hired him.....

ricepig

« Reply #527 on: October 16, 2019, 06:54:05 am »

Telling it like it is!

007 License To Squeal

• Global Moderator
  • Fmr USAF Combat Crew Titan II Launch Crew Member
« Reply #528 on: October 16, 2019, 07:00:24 am »

You will be the biggest laughing stock in all of football at every level of football.

Morris is rated as #14 coach in the SEC.  4-14.  We are already there.  Incompetence should never be rewarded with blind loyalty.

LZH

« Reply #529 on: October 16, 2019, 07:00:33 am »

HY just might have a plan.  Yesterday I was told by a hometown friend and big money manager in NWA that several millionaire donors are done and have expressed this sternly.  Apparently they were told to hang on that there were a few ideas being tossed around.  Take it for what it's worth.  I don't run in the same circles down here in Tampa that I used to up in Arkansas, but you can ask Irwin if most of what I am told is bs or not.....he knows.

Morris may very well be gone this year.  Interim coach?.....splash hire?.....just stop the bleeding?  I don't know.  But I do trust him when he says that this problem is not being swept under the rug.

M L (bassplayer)

« Reply #530 on: October 16, 2019, 07:02:19 am »

It's the suckers who dump money into an endless black pit.

Donations get tickets. Ticket holders are loyal fans. Calling them suckers is cheap.

NashvilleHog

• Varsity
  • The end of the HDN era
« Reply #531 on: October 16, 2019, 07:08:22 am »

The one element that is missing is getting the experience these young recruits need to be really good at playing and winning football. One and a half are not enough. Not even two or three years. 4 to 6 years are the winning years. Take that to the bank.

I keep forgetting. You guys want microwave instant winning soup. Cook for 3 mins and your national champions. Good luck with that.

I remember allot of fans not liking what the media outlets and other teams fans were saying about us and making fun of Arkansas fans wanting to fire Bret and especially trying to get Gus and ending up with Chad. You guys sure you want to go through that again and possibly with the same results or mediocre results at best?

It's not unreasonable to win against San Jose State and be able to decide upon a QB in the preseason and not play the merry-go-round all year.  It's not unreasonable to win against a Kentucky team that was playing a WR at QB and had better passing stats than your starting QB.  Better management of that game is an easy win.

Do those things and nobody is complaining.  I found most fans to be extremely reasonable going into this season.  All most wanted was improvement.  There has been more of the same and now you have recruits bailing and players transferring.  You want to wait another 3 years???

Chad Morris doesn't have it.  Morris = Larry Porter

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #532 on: October 16, 2019, 07:29:15 am »

PRJ

I thank God every day they didn't have camera phones when I was in my teens and early 20's.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #533 on: October 16, 2019, 07:35:12 am »

HY just might have a plan.  Yesterday I was told by a hometown friend and big money manager in NWA that several millionaire donors are done and have expressed this sternly.  Apparently they were told to hang on that there were a few ideas being tossed around.  Take it for what it's worth.  I don't run in the same circles down here in Tampa that I used to up in Arkansas, but you can ask Irwin if most of what I am told is bs or not.....he knows.

Morris may very well be gone this year.  Interim coach?.....splash hire?.....just stop the bleeding?  I don't know.  But I do trust him when he says that this problem is not being swept under the rug.

Some of the NWA guys can't even give away their skybox tickets right now. Some have passed the ticked off stage and are entering apathy.

Hoggie Style

« Reply #534 on: October 16, 2019, 07:47:58 am »

Porkatarian always shows up during coaching searches.

Did someone get fired that I missed?  Presser at 4:00!

Pennywise

« Reply #535 on: October 16, 2019, 08:01:46 am »

I'm just not understanding why a coach that is regarded by MANY including Dabo Sweeney and others in the coaching profession who say Chad Morris is a coaching genius and has high respect in the field.

My opinion is, he gets let go, resigns, fired....he moves on to something else and is highly successful.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #536 on: October 16, 2019, 08:04:03 am »

There are coaches who are great assistants but not great head coaches.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Damn glad to meet you
« Reply #537 on: October 16, 2019, 08:04:09 am »

Norvell? Mack Brown?

If Mack Brown wasn't so old, I'd be intrigued by the thought of bringing him here.

mj4president

« Reply #538 on: October 16, 2019, 08:06:14 am »

If Mack Brown wasn't so old, I'd be intrigued by the thought of bringing him here.

Agreed

Pennywise

« Reply #539 on: October 16, 2019, 08:06:23 am »

Donations get tickets. Ticket holders are loyal fans. Calling them suckers is cheap.

Nah, buying tickets doesn't put anyone at the top of the pyramid of fanship. Come to think of it, there is no pyramid of fanship levels. Fans are fans. Others are just smart enough not to dump money into a bad product.

nate1283

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #540 on: October 16, 2019, 08:07:08 am »

LOL! I'd get outta there as quick as I could too!

Tweeter

« Reply #541 on: October 16, 2019, 08:07:21 am »

People could care less about Arkansas football outside of the state.

Junkyard Hog

« Reply #542 on: October 16, 2019, 08:13:01 am »

Who doesn't?

chaz

• Varsity
« Reply #543 on: October 16, 2019, 08:15:46 am »

Let’s go give Stoopes the Fisher contract imo

crybaby oops?  NFW

RyanMallettsEgo

• Damn glad to meet you
« Reply #544 on: October 16, 2019, 08:19:59 am »

Sad, but true, reality.

The NewEra

« Reply #545 on: October 16, 2019, 08:44:41 am »

Usually when Pork shows up with this type of thread the noise level in the AD's office from big money guys is getting loud enough that people in the hallway start hearing it.

Usually when this talk shows up on Hogville we are a year away at least from a coaching change.

Usually "buyout" is the big reason the coach get's another year.

Often, for cosmetic reasons, a coach with a huge buyout will be allowed one year to replace his staff and show significant improvement.

It will be interesting to see if this situation plays out the same way I've witnessed in the past.

That being said, I've never seen the program this low and I've not seen how HY would address this exact situation.  I do like what I've seen from HY in his coaching hires to this point, so if we ever get to the point of hiring a new football coach I'm optimistic.  But heck, I'm an optimist until I'm not.

I do hope Pork and LZH have accurate sources.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #546 on: October 16, 2019, 08:49:14 am »

I'm outside the state and I care.............

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #547 on: October 16, 2019, 08:57:13 am »

I would be ok with Morris right now if it was clear that our roster is just not talented enough right now. If we needed more time to recruit and develop players and implement a system, I'd be willing to give him more time.

But that's not why we lost to San Jose State or Kentucky. We lost because our coaching staff does not have the ability to mentally prepare our players to win or execute a game plan to win the game. Its coaching we are 2-4, instead of 4-2.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #548 on: October 16, 2019, 08:58:17 am »

Lot easier to say I'm not donating money than to say here is a $hit ton of money go have fun...

Absolutely. The issue is who will pay any buyout not ongoing donations they normally pay.

rhames

« Reply #549 on: October 16, 2019, 09:00:08 am »

I'm just not understanding why a coach that is regarded by MANY including Dabo Sweeney and others in the coaching profession who say Chad Morris is a coaching genius and has high respect in the field.

My opinion is, he gets let go, resigns, fired....he moves on to something else and is highly successful.

What's the difference between being let go and fired?

And we can let go of the fiary tale he will resign. He isn't going to do that.

Also Michael Scott was an amazing salesman but a horrible boss. Maybe morris is just a great OC and horrible coach.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas