• 10,544,332 Posts
• 415,534 Topics
• 23,816 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Could we put Burks at QB?  (Read 1659 times)

#1 STUNNA

Re: Could we put Burks at QB?
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2019, 10:23:03 am »

I haven't figured out if its ego or intelligence or lack or for reason why they can't make these changes.
I just dont understand. I get the not overloading him. But he would be fine with some wildcat/ heavy set type stuff.

Pork Twain

« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2019, 10:23:20 am »

Lots of people living in some strange fantasy world, where putting a run only qb option back there is going to open things up for us.  Is he a better scrambler out of the backfield than Boyd?  I doubt it, but he better be with our OL and the removal of the threat of the pass and also the loss of our best WR, because you know, you have him at qb now...  This is not DMAC and FJ we are talking about here, they had a good OL to make holes for them.

Put KJ in and you have the scrambling option, that was also actually recruited to play qb and he still has Burks to throw the ball to.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2019, 10:23:26 am »

Hopefully a firing doesnt have some leave also.. you know how some kids are...

I think at this point we are going to lose guys regardless, coach stays coach goes, etc.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2019, 10:25:48 am »

Lots of people living in some strange fantasy world, where putting a run only qb option back there is going to open things up for us.  Is he a better scrambler out of the backfield than Boyd?  I doubt it, but he better be with our OL and the removal of the threat of the pass and also the loss of our best WR, because you know, you have him at qb now...  Put KJ in and you have the scrambling option, that was also actually recruited to play qb and he still has Burks to throw the ball to.
short yardage package... he will get the yards... and yes I think he is a better scrambler than Boyd and can throw. And break more tackles. Let Boyd wear them down and then make them tackle 225 pounds.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2019, 10:26:20 am »

I think at this point we are going to lose guys regardless, coach stays coach goes, etc.
pleny of offensive minds out there that would take advantage of what we have.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2019, 10:27:17 am »

I just dont understand. I get the not overloading him. But he would be fine with some wildcat/ heavy set type stuff.

I don't get the lack of coaching that says to the QB, here is a Burks play.  PASS HIM THE FREAKING BALL NO MATTER WHAT ON THIS PLAY.  Design a play that puts him open when someone goes single hi safety.  Make 5 audibles or some darn based high safety, db playing off coverage, lb'er showing blitz, and zone coverage.

Single high safety audible puts in routes for both Knox and Burks over the LB'er, Safety has to pick to go field or boundary, either way he goes leaves Knox or burks 1 on 1.  Boom, I like those chances.

DB playing off, you have options here, quick slant, slugo, curls, etc.

Lb'er show blitz, slant in front of safeties, make a safety and DB' cover Burks on a 10 yard slant, good luck.

Zone, there are zone beater plays all the time. You find soft spot and sit in it. 

NONE OF THIS STUFF IS BEING DONE.  QB's can't read coverage?  Well by spring, fall, and half way through season that is on coaches.  Coaches not good enough to pull it off is starting to by my opinion though. 

Pork Twain

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2019, 10:28:53 am »

short yardage package... he will get the yards... and yes I think he is a better scrambler than Boyd and can throw. And break more tackles. Let Boyd wear them down and then make them tackle 225 pounds.
ahahahahaha

There is absolutely no reason you should use your best WR at QB, when you have KJ on the bench.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2019, 10:30:24 am »

I don't get the lack of coaching that says to the QB, here is a Burks play.  PASS HIM THE FREAKING BALL NO MATTER WHAT ON THIS PLAY.  Design a play that puts him open when someone goes single hi safety.  Make 5 audibles or some darn based high safety, db playing off coverage, lb'er showing blitz, and zone coverage.

Single high safety audible puts in routes for both Knox and Burks over the LB'er, Safety has to pick to go field or boundary, either way he goes leaves Knox or burks 1 on 1.  Boom, I like those chances.

DB playing off, you have options here, quick slant, slugo, curls, etc.

Lb'er show blitz, slant in front of safeties, make a safety and DB' cover Burks on a 10 yard slant, good luck.

Zone, there are zone beater plays all the time. You find soft spot and sit in it. 

NONE OF THIS STUFF IS BEING DONE.  QB's can't read coverage?  Well by spring, fall, and half way through season that is on coaches.  Coaches not good enough to pull it off is starting to by my opinion though. 
Bingo... hey starkel, hicks, jones, jefferson.... on this play i dont care what you do throw the damn ball to 16. Now this time throw the damn ball to #7. Oklahoma beat Texas this past week... because they threw the ball to their best player 100 times and he caught it 100 times for 1000 yards.... its not rocket science.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2019, 10:30:59 am »

ahahahahaha

There is absolutely no reason you should use your best WR at QB, when you have KJ on the bench.
What if Burks is better? And no im not saying he is...

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2019, 10:31:55 am »

Bingo... hey starkel, hicks, jones, jefferson.... on this play i dont care what you do throw the damn ball to 16. Now this time throw the damn ball to #7. Oklahoma beat Texas this past week... because they threw the ball to their best player 100 times and he caught it 100 times for 1000 yards.... its not rocket science.

Doesn't hurt to have a qb that rushes for 1000 yards, either.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2019, 10:33:25 am »

Even if he couldnt rush for 1000 yards... I bet Riley would still get the ball to his best player a million times a game.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2019, 10:33:27 am »

OU coach is smart enough to spend off season teaching his QB and WR what to do.  I am not smart enough to be an OC or anything, because I don't know all the if you see this guy on defense do this we do this on the level of a Leach, Riley, Mcvay, etc.  However, Morris isn't showing anything at all on the field of this. 

I have the same feeling now with the football program as I did last year with basketball program.  There is talent there, the coaches are not coaching it though.  Gabe jacking up 3 after 3 and coach not putting a stop to it was the dagger that I said Mike has to go.  Well, the fact that Morris is running out Burks and Knox and not targeting each 10 times a game, time to go man.

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2019, 10:34:10 am »

Even if he couldnt rush for 1000 yards... I bet Riley would still get the ball to his best player a million times a game.

You just stated the obvious...RILEY!!!!  :)

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2019, 10:34:12 am »

Defenses have to adapt to Hurts just like they do a running back.  Spy/loaded box.  We've seen loaded boxes now since Brandon Allen left.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2019, 10:34:47 am »

That lamb dude is a freaking stud.  I assume that is who you are talking about?

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2019, 10:35:32 am »

OU coach is smart enough to spend off season teaching his QB and WR what to do.  I am not smart enough to be an OC or anything, because I don't know all the if you see this guy on defense do this we do this on the level of a Leach, Riley, Mcvay, etc.  However, Morris isn't showing anything at all on the field of this. 

I have the same feeling now with the football program as I did last year with basketball program.  There is talent there, the coaches are not coaching it though.  Gabe jacking up 3 after 3 and coach not putting a stop to it was the dagger that I said Mike has to go.  Well, the fact that Morris is running out Burks and Knox and not targeting each 10 times a game, time to go man.
Maybe we should dip into the Leach coaching tree...

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2019, 10:36:00 am »

That lamb dude is a freaking stud.  I assume that is who you are talking about?
correct... hes a stud and they use their stud.

Wildhog

« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2019, 10:36:08 am »

You just stated the obvious...RILEY!!!!  :)

He'll come if we offer him...

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2019, 10:36:43 am »

Maybe we should dip into the Leach coaching tree...

Leach puts all of his offensive plays on a freaking index card.  INDEX CARD!!!!  Morris has a freaking 6th grade tri fold science fair poster for all of his plays.  And not a single one is signaled in to *** throw it to a possible future NFLer in Knox and a very likely future NFLer in Burks.

Piggfoot

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hog Table top cooker
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2019, 10:37:17 am »

The Coaches may be afraid of over working him and over stressing his knee.
I don't think I would want him being blindsided because the line could not adequately protect him.

Pork Twain

« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2019, 10:37:23 am »

What if Burks is better? And no im not saying he is...
Was Burks a highly ranked dual-threat QB coming out of high school or was he highly ranked as a WR/LB?  There is nothing to say he would be better at being a dual-threat QB than the dual-threat QB we have on our roster, but one thing is certain, if you move him from WR, to QB, you have just lost your best WR and teams with much better defenses than ours are going to know we are going to run it 90% of the time and when we do throw the ball, it is going to be coming out of the hand of a guy that does not play QB.  Lets see how many yards we get on the ground vs Auburn, Bama, LSU, Miss St, and Mizzou, when they know what we knew against Kentucky, with an OL that is a shadow of the OL we had when DMAC and Felix were here.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2019, 10:38:55 am »

The Coaches may be afraid of over working him and over stressing his knee.
I don't think I would want him being blindsided because the line could not adequately protect him.

Go watch 4th qtr of A&M game.  This is not the case. 

If you don't know what I am talking about, we were working Burks or he was working himself I should say every play.  He was making play after play and came tot he sideline late for a blow.  Camera showed him on sideline grasping his knees just exhausted.  Staff isn't worried about him physically. 

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2019, 10:40:05 am »

Was Burks a highly ranked dual-threat QB coming out of high school or was he highly ranked as a WR/LB?  There is nothing to say he would be better at being a dual-threat QB than the dual-threat QB we have on our roster, but one thing is certain, if you move him from WR, to QB, you have just lost your best WR and teams with much better defenses than ours are going to know we are going to run it 90% of the time and when we do throw the ball, it is going to be coming out of the hand of a guy that does not play QB.  Lets see how many yards we get on the ground vs Auburn, Bama, LSU, Miss St, and Mizzou, when they know what we knew against Kentucky, with an OL that is a shadow of the OL we had when DMAC and Felix were here.

Not that this is even an option, however, we have what recruiting sites said were some studs in Nash, Jackson, and Knox if Burks was to make a move like that.  Add O Grady for this year and for whatever reason we haven't seen yet, Henry.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2019, 10:40:13 am »

some changes in formation, and some motion would be a nice start

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2019, 10:40:52 am »

Very well could have been. one yard damnit... give him the damn ball and say we need one yard for a first down. Nobody is saying he has to throw the ball. But the option is there..... one damn yard......

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2019, 10:42:11 am »

better find a way to keep kids like him happy...

Taking snaps is going to keep him happy?  Let him get hit by AU Bama and LSU between the tackles then. 

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2019, 10:44:08 am »

Taking snaps is going to keep him happy?  Let him get hit by AU Bama and LSU between the tackles then. 
the ball in any kids hands make them happy. You think Burks would rather touch the ball once or twice a game... or 15 times and take a pounding... he would take the pounding every time.... he signed up to get him by Auburn, Alabama, and LSU...

ballz2thewall

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2019, 11:00:48 am »

Hammonds  would fit better but what everyone is overlooking is Kebtucky's o -line did a great job against us and we didn't stack the line

Our 4DL is mostly anemic

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2019, 11:02:07 am »

jj202020

« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2019, 12:22:52 pm »

Red zone QB for sure.  He is not an every down passer, tho. Big hitch in his throwing motion. 

jj202020

« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2019, 12:27:19 pm »

Dudeó he is an SEC LB playing WR.  AU, Bama and LSU donít want to see thatóand I understand what type of statement that Iím making there. 

This kid is exactly what the Hogs need to right this ship, so if you ARE a fan, shut up talking crap about our best player.  Probably the most unselfish kid on campus....

Pork Twain

« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2019, 12:44:39 pm »

Hogville...  smdh

Wildhog

« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2019, 01:07:20 pm »

Hogville...  smdh

Oh, it's happening.

Maybethebestever

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2019, 01:11:53 pm »

Iíve watched Burks play since pee wee, best player Iíve seen... but against Auburnís defensive line playing our O line itís no reason to subject him to that kind of punishment

Wildhog

« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2019, 01:12:41 pm »

I’ve watched Burks play since pee wee, best player I’ve seen... but against Auburn’s defensive line playing our O line it’s no reason to subject him to that kind of punishment

Full-on desperation mode. It's gonna be entertaining at least.

Pork Twain

« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2019, 01:19:37 pm »

Oh, it's happening.
It will fail and when it does, I will not blame KJ for entering the portal, when he is jumped for a guy that is not a qb, trying to do what he was actually recruited to do.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2019, 01:28:03 pm »

Dudeó he is an SEC LB playing WR.  AU, Bama and LSU donít want to see thatóand I understand what type of statement that Iím making there. 

This kid is exactly what the Hogs need to right this ship, so if you ARE a fan, shut up talking crap about our best player.  Probably the most unselfish kid on campus....

Dude are you a high school kid?  I'm fully aware of his size.  He would have been more valuable for us playing LB vs UK than on offense with how little he was used.  I'm advocating for the kid not to be put in a bad position unnecessarlily for a lost cause this season.  Wasn't talking crap about the kid.  Your reply is what we have to deal with when we have a hometown hero. 

thebignasty

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2019, 01:35:29 pm »

It will fail and when it does, I will not blame KJ for entering the portal, when he is jumped for a guy that is not a qb, trying to do what he was actually recruited to do.
  Id transfer if they tried to burn my redshirt on this abortion of a season.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2019, 01:37:27 pm »

yep..lol... no reason for Jefferson to come in and run the ball 5 times a game when we have another kid that can do it...

But a little birdy told me they both might get some time back there saturday...

Pork Twain

« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2019, 01:40:30 pm »

Yes the rule where they get to play four games and preserve their redshirt..it’s still a thing...rest easy.  Also if you think any freshmen on the team is not itching to get out there and show they are the solution and the future, you are crazy.

thebignasty

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2019, 01:45:33 pm »

Yes the rule where they get to play four games and preserve their redshirt..itís still a thing...rest easy.  Also if you think any freshmen on the team is not itching to get out there and show they are the solution and the future, you are crazy.
I'm sure they are, but playing them with 6 games left and the 4 game redshirt rule makes no sense to me.

Either you roll them out against Auburn and Alabama and the get the darn kicked out of them and their confidence rattled, or you roll them out against Auburn and Alabama and they play great and you either have to bench them for more winnable games later or burn their redshirts in pursuit of a coveted 4-8 finish.

None of those options appeal to me.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2019, 01:48:51 pm »

Nobody thinks Burks should be an every down qb... but he should get some touches in the back field. Wildcat... short yardage stuff. Kid is to good not to have the ball in his hands alot more than he does now. And if we dont have a qb that can get it to him consistently then you have to find easier ways to get him the ball. Direct snap is the easiest way.

Wildhog

« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2019, 01:49:51 pm »

Nobody thinks Burks should be an every down qb... but he should get some touches in the back field. Wildcat... short yardage stuff. Kid is to good not to have the ball in his hands alot more than he does now. And if we dont have a qb that can get it to him consistently then you have to find easier ways to get him the ball. Direct snap is the easiest way.

I'm all in on it being full time.  Let's Matt Jones some mfers. 

It'll make the descent more entertaining.

Pork Twain

« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2019, 01:51:57 pm »

I hope you boys get what you want and you will see how bad it fails.  Bama and Auburn are too good and have too much speed.  They will eat this play for lunch, without the fear of a passing game.  This is not an Arkansas defense we are going up against.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2019, 01:52:01 pm »

I'm all in on it being full time.  Let's Matt Jones some mfers. 

It'll make the descent more entertaining.
That to me would depend on KJ Jefferson. If he cant get it done then id be all for it... the kid is skilled..

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2019, 01:53:27 pm »

I hope you boys get what you want and you will see how bad it fails.  Bama and Auburn are too good and have too much speed.  They will eat this play for lunch, without the fear of a passing game.  This is not an Arkansas defense we are going up against.
Burks isnt armless.... he can throw the little brown thing..lol... and he can get a yard if directly snapped to him and thats what im advocating for.

Pennywise

« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2019, 01:54:34 pm »

Burks isnt armless.... he can throw the little brown thing..lol... and he can get a yard if directly snapped to him and thats what im advocating for.

Witness.

Wildhog

« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2019, 01:54:55 pm »

What are you talking about?  We're going to lose by 900 either way. 

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2019, 01:55:49 pm »

What are you talking about?  We're going to lose by 900 either way. 
Lets go down with a fight!!! lol... and get our best player the ball every other good and bad team does.. lmao

Pork Twain

« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2019, 01:56:54 pm »

Has he ever played qb, or read a defense behind center?  I guess we will see.  I feel sorry for him if we decide to go this route.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas