• 10,546,511 Posts
• 415,601 Topics
• 23,821 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Arkansas uncertain of starting QB against Auburn  (Read 2972 times)

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
  • All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

checkraiser88

Re: Arkansas uncertain of starting QB against Auburn
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 04:24:20 pm »

They've been uncertain for 2 years

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 04:28:57 pm »

Yeah I agree, but you kinda understood that last year when they played who they  inherited. There's now five QBs on scholarship and he signed four of them. So these are his QBs and you would think if you sign two grad transfers one will take ahold of the job. Nick was aiming the ball Saturday  night. I think they put too much on him about turning the ball over. I get that you can't just throw picks all the time, but going 3 and out and aiming the ball because you are too concerned about throwing a pick isn't good either.

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 04:30:43 pm »

I am just surprised they want to use a dual threat QB and signed two grad transfers and neither are a dual threat. I am not piling on just feel if you want to run a dual threat QB then sign that type.

Hollywood870

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 04:32:58 pm »

You really think it matters, Eddie?

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 04:35:06 pm »

They should do George Constanza strategy - do opposite of their first instinct.

"Craddock : If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right. Morris : Yes, I will do the opposite."

1highhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 04:41:47 pm »

Otis, he talks about Jefferson and how he'd obviously love the opportunity to redshirt him if he could, but said we’ll keep bringing him along.”  Hell, half the season is gone now, Jefferson can play in 4 games even if it's just a series a game, let the young man and even let JSJ play.  These young guys need to play so we can build for the future, this season is over in regards to a bowl or anything like that, We need to be playing guys to get them better.  Having these guys sitting on the bench is not doing a bit of good.  Doesn't he know that with 6 games to go that he's probably not going to burn Jeffersons redshirt?

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
  • She thinks my hawgs are sexy
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 05:09:19 pm »

all that talk about Hoping this and that tells me he has no idea how to get the best out of any of them

Bacons Rebellion

• Pig puns are so boaring.
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 05:14:35 pm »

I am just surprised they want to use a dual threat QB and signed two grad transfers and neither are a dual threat. I am not piling on just feel if you want to run a dual threat QB then sign that type.

Didn't they think they had Bryant (like the rest of us)? Then they had to take what they could get but had a known quantity in Hicks, then Starkel showed up and would be a junior so you take him too.

It's obvious we need a run threat at quarterback. I wish Frank had warned us about that with the spread.

hoglady

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 05:57:04 pm »

I don't know what Hicks has to do to earn back the starting job.
Or how bad Starkel has to play to lose it.

Ethan2010

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 06:13:20 pm »

Bet they flip a coin next.

Spektre

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 06:21:54 pm »

Bet they could rock, paper, scissors for every position on the field at this point and it would be barely noticeable.

PossumFan

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 09:38:15 pm »

Hicks has been the better QB two games in a row. I think he's earned another shot at starting. I realize Starkel has the better arm, but that's meaningless if the decision-making and accuracy aren't there.

Hogwild

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 08:20:41 am »

Kelly Bryant chose Mizzou, it would have been a different season if would have chose to be a Hog.

RoyHobbs92

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2019, 08:26:52 am »

Only if Bryant can tackle a WRQB

ShadowTheHedgehog

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2019, 08:31:14 am »

Bet they could rock, paper, scissors for every position on the field at this point and it would be barely noticeable.

They would probably find a way to mess up rock, paper, scissors.

hoglady

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2019, 08:48:22 am »

I'm just really shocked at this.
Starkel appears to most definitely be a head case right now - that SJS game has just destroyed his confidence I guess.
He threw a pick in the red zone against A&M - got hurt on the tackle. Hicks came in and played well.
Played like dog poo in the Kentucky game. Didn't get picked but some his passes weren't within 5 yards of anyone.
Again Hicks came in late and played pretty well.

I'm confused about why Hicks doesn't start / have a short leash if he's not moving the ball.

Pennywise

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2019, 08:56:46 am »

I'm just really shocked at this.
Starkel appears to most definitely be a head case right now - that SJS game has just destroyed his confidence I guess.
He threw a pick in the red zone against A&M - got hurt on the tackle. Hicks came in and played well.
Played like dog poo in the Kentucky game. Didn't get picked but some his passes weren't within 5 yards of anyone.
Again Hicks came in late and played pretty well.

I'm confused about why Hicks doesn't start / have a short leash if he's not moving the ball.

I think a lot of it hinges on the fact that our OC is scared to death.

hoglady

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2019, 08:58:42 am »

I think a lot of it hinges on the fact that our OC is scared to death.

With Morris appearing to be the most scared and indecisive of the lot.
As Craddock said earlier this year - he only gets 1 vote regarding the starting QB / Morris gets 2 votes.

Pennywise

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2019, 09:01:10 am »

With Morris appearing to be the most scared and indecisive of the lot.
As Craddock said earlier this year - he only gets 1 vote regarding the starting QB / Morris gets 2 votes.

There has to be some sort of package for KJ Jefferson. Anything.

I feel that once they put him in though, he will either throw a pick or fumble.

zebradynasty

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2019, 10:37:22 am »

Very interesting that Morris is having this much QB troubles when he used that as one of his best attributes to be HC. His ability to develop QB's is questionable because for two years every QB we've had got worse! Not sure what went on with Starkel last week. Really thought the way he was playing against A&M that with an extra week of practice he'd come out slinging. He looked like he was thinking too much and trying not to make a mistake his accuracy and timing was way off.

threeNout

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2019, 10:53:06 am »

I'd start Hicks, then no matter how he's doing, plan on bringing in either JSJ or KJ for
spot play,  running plays that highlight a dual threat QB.

I'm not for throwing the young guys to the wolves, but I'm OK with Hicks bearing the initial
brunt of it, then finding spots for the other guys with wheels, we need to see what they can do.

we need to see what impact having a running threat at QB would do for the O, I think we'd be pleasantly surprised, IF they can know when to call it, how to use it.

Even Hicks has good mobility, if he could learn to properly execute a QB draw, it'd be helpful.

I just don't play Starkle, unless Hicks gets hurt and the pups are struggling.

Tejano Jawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go West ern Kentucky, young man.
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2019, 11:07:54 am »

The "play the guy with the hot hand" idea is something we've heard from many coaches. It's nothing new—even about the quarterback position—but when other guys say it, they do it with more confidence.

I think that's the difference. Morris sounds uncertain—because he probably is, just like WE are—but he needs to just tell it like it is. If it's Hicks, don't apologize, just say he's the one. And find a diplomatic way to say that Starkel cannot keep turning the ball over and missing key throws. Hell, the last thing I'd worry about right now is the negative press about the swinging pendulum of QBs.

hogfansince79

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2019, 11:43:52 am »

Hicks has been the better QB the last two games.  Just start Hicks.  None of the short leash crap.  Start Hicks, and tell him you're going to stick with him the entire game - good, bad, right, wrong - just stick with a fricking QB for once.

hogbbq

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2019, 11:44:43 am »

Yeah I agree, but you kinda understood that last year when they played who they  inherited. There's now five QBs on scholarship and he signed four of them. So these are his QBs and you would think if you sign two grad transfers one will take ahold of the job. Nick was aiming the ball Saturday  night. I think they put too much on him about turning the ball over. I get that you can't just throw picks all the time, but going 3 and out and aiming the ball because you are too concerned about throwing a pick isn't good either.

This sounds like more of the same indecision we have come to know as Chad Morris.  His two transfers are not looking as if they are the answer.  Maybe nobody on campus is the answer, but for goodness sake pick a QB and go with it and act like he's the guy.  I haven't been big on JSJ nor KJJefferson because beyond being good high school players I haven't seen anything to be excited about. Maybe it is time to go with youth. There are teams all over the country with young QB's doing well.  It's sort of like getting married, at some point somebody has to pop the question.

Mo_Better_Hogs

• DE FENSE!! DE FENSE!!
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2019, 02:54:52 pm »

The problem last year wasn't as much indecision as trying to figure out who the man was, looking for someone to step up and show he was the starter. As soon as a decision was made, that QB would throw 3 or 4 picks. Or, would get knocked senseless. I guess starting Conner was sort of an anomaly. But you have to admit, that was a hard time to be an Arkansas quarterback.

This year is turning out to be very similar. Hick starts when the offensive line is at its worst. And Starkel looked like the guy from Ole Miss on. Then came San Jose State. And the A&M injury. And the Kentucky game. Now it looks like Hicks. With all that inconsistency and craziness happening on the field, it can't be easy to pick the starter. If Hogville were polled, can you imagine the different ideas people would have?

SweatyHog

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2019, 03:03:08 pm »

I’m still bitter that we were all led to believe Kelly Bryant was a lock. How different would this season have been?

Pennywise

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2019, 03:15:58 pm »

I’m still bitter that we were all led to believe Kelly Bryant was a lock. How different would this season have been?

LOL. Guy was never a lock.

hogbbq

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2019, 03:30:48 pm »

And you admit to believing that tall tell.

BassinHawg

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2019, 07:00:51 pm »

Have said this numerous times, this is just one of the reasons I say Morris is a Fraud!

Justifiable Hogicide

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2019, 07:07:57 pm »

That is part of the Offensive Guru Package as practiced by Chad Morris.

dfwhawg

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2019, 07:12:26 pm »

Kelly Bryant chose Mizzou, it would have been a different season if would have chose to be a Hog.
If KB signed with AR, it would probably increase the W by 1 which is a rarity under this HS coach.  AR has NOT played sound defense in years, probably since Burns was the DC.

SeldomHere

• My all-time favorite gender.
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2019, 07:16:51 pm »

They would probably find a way to mess up rock, paper, scissors.

Pretty sure they would end up in the emergency room, and alcohol would not have been involved.

swineology

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2019, 07:17:51 pm »

https://www.nwahomepage.com/sports/pig-trail-nation/arkansas-uncertain-of-starting-qb-against-auburn/

In fall camp, it was all about how good the Jones kid was doing great, drawing praise on many occasions for Coach Morris.

Now, crickets about JSJ. So what was it Otis, more coach speak?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 08:00:39 pm by swineology »

SeldomHere

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2019, 07:25:01 pm »

For Mizzou no doubt, I doubt it would have made that big of difference for Arkansas. Matt Jones and D-Mac were the only ones that I saw successfully ignore the bad head coach.

SeldomHere

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2019, 07:35:07 pm »

In fall camp it was all about how good the Jones kid was doing great, drawing praise on many occasions for Coach Morris.

Now, crickets about JSJ. So what was it Otis, more coach speak?

I have not believed anything coming out of camp since Bobby. The last three could not locate their but without help.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2019, 08:07:32 pm »

Need to play a running QB the next two games (Auburn and Alabama).

I don't know if Hicks and Starkel will make it through in one piece these next two games.

lasthog

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2019, 08:33:55 pm »

Need to play a running QB the next two games (Auburn and Alabama).

I don't know if Hicks and Starkel will make it through in one piece these next two games.

After each series they may need to tag in.

Leadbelly

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2019, 08:34:36 pm »

Probably lose the damn coin!

moses_007

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2019, 08:46:14 pm »

Where we missed the boat was in not landing Jalen Hurts.  Best dual threat quarterback in the nation, bar none...

hogbbq

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2019, 08:51:39 pm »

Where we missed the boat was in not landing Jalen Hurts.  Best dual threat quarterback in the nation, bar none...
Hurts wasn't coming to UA, he was at Bama and won a national title, he was going to a program with promise not pipe dreams.

The Boar War

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2019, 09:09:17 pm »

I think we all know (deep down) that it really wouldn’t have been that different of a season.  We had an obvious influx of talent at the qb position and we’re still losing to bad ooc opponents.  There would still be indecision, bad play calling, and a porous defense.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2019, 10:27:03 am »

I think we all know (deep down) that it really wouldn’t have been that different of a season.  We had an obvious influx of talent at the qb position and we’re still losing to bad ooc opponents.  There would still be indecision, bad play calling, and a porous defense.

Don't forget the OL issues.

hogbbq

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2019, 03:44:17 pm »

Don't forget the OL issues.
There is only one cure, find a new HC.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2019, 03:49:25 pm »

He is getting propped up by Lincoln Riley's offensive system.

It will be interesting to see if any of Riley's QBs have much or any success in the NFL.  They are probably just system QBs, and those type of QBs are just a mirage.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2019, 03:57:32 pm »

He is getting propped up by Lincoln Riley's offensive system.

It will be interesting to see if any of Riley's QBs have much or any success in the NFL.  They are probably just system QBs, and those type of QBs are just a mirage.
Kyler Murray has been pretty damn solid in his rookie year.

PorkSoda

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2019, 03:59:07 pm »

The "play the guy with the hot hand" idea is something we've heard from many coaches. It's nothing new—even about the quarterback position—but when other guys say it, they do it with more confidence.

I think that's the difference. Morris sounds uncertain—because he probably is, just like WE are—but he needs to just tell it like it is. If it's Hicks, don't apologize, just say he's the one. And find a diplomatic way to say that Starkel cannot keep turning the ball over and missing key throws. Hell, the last thing I'd worry about right now is the negative press about the swinging pendulum of QBs.
kind of hard to play the hot hand when all your guys are cold.

Morris needs to invest in some hand warmers.

IceColdMintJulep

• Bench Warmer
  • It will feel better when it stops hurting
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2019, 04:09:19 pm »

psst: secret: we are saving KJ as a secret weapon to beat Alabama.  ;D

In reality, we probably haven't seen him since there hasn't been a true blowout with a lot of garbage time. Alabama and LSU might provide that opportunity and be the only reason the watch clear through to the end of the carnage.

PorkSoda

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2019, 04:11:43 pm »

In reality, we probably haven't seen him since there hasn't been a true blowout with a lot of garbage time. Alabama and LSU might provide that opportunity and be the only reason the watch clear through to the end of the carnage.
word on the street is that is hard to prepare for a third string QB because there is no film on them.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2019, 04:14:13 pm »

I wonder whos better our starting D or the backups hes gonna go against at LSU and Bama? lol
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas