• 10,638,240 Posts
• 417,257 Topics
• 24,433 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Maybe we should face some ugly facts....  (Read 5676 times)

GTOWNHOG

Maybe we should face some ugly facts....
« on: October 13, 2019, 09:55:14 pm »

The University of Arkansas does not have an elite football program.  Our ALL TIME record against teams that are current SEC members is 171-206.  That's a winning percentage of 45.35%.  Our football program has an all time winning record against the following SEC teams: Mississippi State (16-12), Ole Miss (36-29), South Carolina (13-10) Texas A&M (41-31) and Vanderbilt (7-3). 

Our former Coach, Bret Bielema, had a record of 11-29 in the SEC. That's a winning percentage of 27.5% for the mathematically challenged.  Bret was 0-8 in the SEC in his first year and 1-7 in the  SEC in his last year.  The three years in between were not much better with only ONE year  (5-3) with a winning record in the SEC West. His teams lost to TOLEDO and Rutgers.

My POINT is this.... Most of our fans THINK that we have a great football tradition, but when you look at the numbers, our progam has been VERY average....  So just don't complain about Coach Chad Morris too much.  He's simply carrying on the tradition.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 10:09:44 pm by GTOWNHOG »

The Boar War

Re: Maybe we should face some ugly facts....
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 09:59:24 pm »

The tradition of the last 8 years.  I’ve seen us be competitive in the SEC.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

factchecker

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 10:00:42 pm »

His teams lost to TOLEDO and Rutgers (twice).
Bielema lost to Rutgers once.  John L Smith lost to them in 2012.

BILLYBOB

• All-American Hogvillian
  • You’ll get nothing and like it
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 10:05:31 pm »

Fans are right to be angry with the on-field performance of Arkansas Football. No one is suggesting we should be Alabama or Clemson...but for Gods sake we should not lose to San Jose State, Colorado State, or North Texas. And we ought to go at least .500 in SEC play and go to a bowl game (6 wins) most years. We are light years away from that standard.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 10:09:11 pm »

Fans are right to be angry with the on-field performance of Arkansas Football. No one is suggesting we should be Alabama or Clemson...but for Gods sake we should not lose to San Jose State, Colorado State, or North Texas. And we ought to go at least .500 in SEC play and go to a bowl game (6 wins) most years. We are light years away from that standard.

Why should we do those things you say we SHOULD do?

Razorback de Nosferatu

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 10:10:17 pm »

What a crock.

This clown show has lost to more rent-a-win opponents in 1.5 seasons than we did in the entire decade prior to his arrival.

His win total after two years will likely be similar to Smile’s season or what Houston Nutt did in his worst single season.

I don’t know how serious you’re being, OP, but not being an elite program doesn’t mean going 2-10, getting thumped by North Texas, and beaten by San Jose State and Kentucky’s fourth string QB is “carrying on the tradition.”

This thread is offensive.

GTOWNHOG

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 10:11:48 pm »

Bielema lost to Rutgers once.  John L Smith lost to them in 2012.
i stand corrected.  I attended the game in New Jersey (Piscataway), as well as the one in Fayetteville.  Rutgers fans ragged us pretty good, as they should have.

Pennywise

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 10:12:14 pm »

The University of Arkansas does not have an elite football program.  Our ALL TIME record against teams that are current SEC members is 171-206.  That's a winning percentage of 45.35%.  Our football program has an all time winning record against the following SEC teams: Mississippi State (16-12), Ole Miss (36-29), South Carolina (13-10) Texas A&M (41-31) and Vanderbilt (7-3). 

Our former Coach, Bret Bielema, had a record of 11-29 in the SEC. That's a winning percentage of 27.5% for the mathematically challenged.  Bret was 0-8 in the SEC in his first year and 1-7 in the  SEC in his last year.  The three years in between were not much better with only ONE year  (5-3) with a winning record in the SEC West. His teams lost to TOLEDO and Rutgers.

My POINT is this.... Most of our fans THINK that we have a great football tradition, but when you look at the numbers, our progam has been VERY average....  So just don't complain about Coach Chad Morris too much.  He's simply carrying on the tradition.

All truths.

GTOWNHOG

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 10:12:50 pm »

What a crock.

This clown show has lost to more rent-a-win opponents in 1.5 seasons than we did in the entire decade prior to his arrival.

His win total after two years will likely be similar to Smile’s season or what Houston Nutt did in his worst single season.

I don’t know how serious you’re being, OP, but not being an elite program doesn’t mean going 2-10, getting thumped by North Texas, and beaten by San Jose State and Kentucky’s fourth string QB is “carrying on the tradition.”

This thread is offensive.

FACTS are nasty things....

Wooderson

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 10:13:40 pm »

Are you out of your mind?

26.2Hog

• The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2019, 10:20:04 pm »

Good grief.

How old are you, maybe 10?

ESPN has us ranked historically at 19 which is NOT "very average". 

And what Morris is doing is NOT carrying on that tradition. 

ShadowTheHedgehog

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 10:21:04 pm »

I still think that this idea that Arkansas cannot be competitive in the SEC is a bit of "Stockholm Syndrome" because of the past 6-8 years. I also do not believe that we cannot recruit decent talent to Arkansas. A decent coach would be able to recruit and win at Arkansas. CBB had off-the-field issues and that is why his recruiting suffered. CCM had a great class last year without showing anything on the field. I think that the program has a lot to sell, facilities etc. We just need a good coach that can win some games.

jkstock04

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2019, 10:22:41 pm »

2012 SEC Record 2 - 6
2013 SEC Record 0 - 8
2014 SEC Record 2 - 6
2015 SEC Record 5 - 3
2016 SEC Record 3 - 5
2017 SEC Record 1 - 7
2018 SEC Record 0 - 8
2019 SEC Record 0 - 8 (Almost Guaranteed)

Keep buying your tickets and sending them your money.
This is where I sneer at the "patience needed" narrative.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2019, 10:23:43 pm »

I still think that this idea that Arkansas cannot be competitive in the SEC is a bit of "Stockholm Syndrome" because of the past 6-8 years. I also do not believe that we cannot recruit decent talent to Arkansas. A decent coach would be able to recruit and win at Arkansas. CBB had off-the-field issues and that is why his recruiting suffered. CCM had a great class last year without showing anything on the field. I think that the program has a lot to sell, facilities etc. We just need a good coach that can win some games.

Decent talent doesn't win. Hogs were competitive last night, and against A&M. Competitive amd winning are 2 different things.

Muleriderhog

• Hogvillian
  • For the love of God, please hire Kiffin.
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2019, 10:24:45 pm »

Yeah this is dumb, minus the past 8 years we average 8 wins a year with 10 win seasons sprinkled in. Bret was bad but Morris is 100x worse, up until this clown show we have now we NEVER had to worry about beating rent a wins like SJSU.

jkstock04

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2019, 10:25:59 pm »

To be fair, you are taking the integrity years combined with this crap and acting like it's the norm.

The Ford, Nutt, and Petrino years are a larger sample size...and we were more middle of the pack and less Vanderbilt-ish.

When we decided to chest thump and raise the integrity flag over winning football games is when the program took a nosedive.

ShadowTheHedgehog

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2019, 10:26:03 pm »

Decent talent doesn't win. Hogs were competitive last night, and against A&M. Competitive amd winning are 2 different things.

OK let me rephrase that than. Talent that can compete in the SEC.

We keep hearing that we lose all these games because our player talent pool is so much weaker than other teams. We played a team that used a freaking WR as a QB.

Swinelake

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2019, 10:26:18 pm »

STATS, you mean.

And my FIL has a favorite saying: stats don't lie, statisticians do.

There's a lot left out here which qualifies this thread as lying by omission.

TexasHog

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2019, 10:28:05 pm »

The facts are every time we've had a good coach since Broyles we've run them off.
Holtz ran him off.
Hatfield ran him off.
Nutt ran him off.
Petrino ran him off.
Next good coach will be the same because that's what the PTB does.

ShadowTheHedgehog

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2019, 10:32:15 pm »

The facts are every time we've had a good coach since Broyles we've run them off.
Holtz ran him off.
Hatfield ran him off.
Nutt ran him off.
Petrino ran him(self) off.

26.2Hog

• The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2019, 10:36:25 pm »

Holtz ran him off.
Hatfield ran him off.
Nutt ran him off.
Petrino ran him off.

Holtz - fired
Hatfield - ran him off
Nutt - fired
Petrino - fired

TexasHog

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2019, 10:40:10 pm »

Nutt's record at Arkansas was pretty good.

He had 6 seasons where he won 8 or more games.
He had 8 seasons where he won 6 or more games.
The least he ever won here was 4 games.
He won 9 or more games in 4 of his seasons.
And get this he lost bowl games in the 3 of the 9 or more win seasons including the season that he won 10 games.

Pennywise

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2019, 10:42:19 pm »

He had 6 seasons where he won 8 or more games.
He had 8 seasons where he won 6 or more games.
The least he ever won here was 4 games.
He won 9 or more games in 4 of his seasons.

That's pretty good.

75 wins
2 sec title game appearances.
2 western division titles.
HOF HC.

We won’t see or have a coach that will touch 75 wins in 10 years(7.5 win per season average) in our lifetime at Arkansas. Much less play in a SEC title game.

hobhog

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2019, 10:46:01 pm »

Thanks, Dr. Phil, how have we managed without this deep insight?

We all feel better now I am sure.

sickboy

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2019, 10:50:50 pm »

I think people who are old enough to have grow up before we came to the SEC might have some idea of Arkansas football that is related to our old school days, but I'm 36 and I've never had any delusions of grandeur. I've only know us as a mid-tier program who has had a few good seasons here and there with some amazing talent sprinkled in.

BILLYBOB

• You’ll get nothing and like it
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2019, 10:58:54 pm »

I think people who are old enough to have grow up before we came to the SEC might have some idea of Arkansas football that is related to our old school days, but I'm 36 and I've never had any delusions of grandeur. I've only know us as a mid-tier program who has had a few good seasons here and there with some amazing talent sprinkled in.

Your assessment is correct. Our all-time winning percentage is .583. That means we average about 7 wins per season. Every few years we’ll have a ten-win season...and every few years we’ll get 5 wins. Always competitive. We are currently playing far below those standards.

hogbbq

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2019, 11:01:52 pm »

Except the goal is to improve.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Two years of Chadwick and a Coaching Search......
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2019, 11:02:42 pm »

Your assessment is correct. Our all-time winning percentage is .583. That means we average about 7 wins per season. Every few years we’ll have a ten-win season...and every few years we’ll get 5 wins. Always competitive. We are currently playing far below those standards.

I remember an entire decade with no 10 win seasons.

WMHawgfan

• Left Lane Hammer Down!
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2019, 11:03:15 pm »

i don’t see anyone saying we are elite. We are saying we are better than this garbage though. No reason we shouldn’t expect to mop up non power 5 opponents and expect 3-5 conference wins with an occasional great run with the right mix of players.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2019, 11:10:03 pm »

Keep in mind this path started with John White. He worked to destroy athletics at the UA and was responsible for hiring Long. We are still feeling the effects of what he put into motion.

Occams Razorback

• Varsity
  • Pluralitas non est ponenda swine necessitate
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2019, 11:10:53 pm »

Nebraska and Tennessee are in as bad a shape as Arkansas - Texas was as well until Herman

I’d say all of the above are Top 20 all time if not Top 10

All of us have just been snakebit for the last decade or so

Junkyard Hog

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2019, 11:12:03 pm »

What tradition is Morris carrying on?

His winning percentage against SEC teams is 0.

Razorback86

• Band Nerd
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2019, 11:15:13 pm »

Let me ask you Chad:
Why do we stink?
Why do we choke?
Where is that full tilt boogie that you spoke?
Over and over
Hogville keeps on dissin’
All week long we just piss and moan
It’s the hog fan tradition!

Razorback86

• Band Nerd
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2019, 11:15:54 pm »

Apologies to Bocephus

Marshfieldhog

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2019, 11:20:07 pm »

Bobby Petrino says hello.
You can win here

Torqued pork

• Wait 'til the next life.
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2019, 11:21:29 pm »

You can win here
Correct

sickboy

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2019, 11:33:28 pm »

Keep in mind this path started with John White. He worked to destroy athletics at the UA and was responsible for hiring Long. We are still feeling the effects of what he put into motion.

Does John White have a time machine? Because Arkansas football wasn't good before he got here either. Long didn't get hired until 2008. It started a long, long time before 2008.

Jek Tono Porkins

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hire the Pirate
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2019, 11:34:41 pm »

Because that was the standard until Morris got here? Losing to a pay-to-play team is unthinkable. I don’t think Nutt ever did it. Petrino never did it. Smile did it and Bielema did it once in 5 years. Morris is currently just over .500 against pay-to-play teams. And what’s frustrating about it is that he’ll lose to a pay-to-play team and then lose to a ranked SEC team by a touchdown. He sets the floor so low that that’s seen as “improvement” but I see it as evidence that we actually have the talent to beat the pay-to-play team and probably the SEC team, it’s just that Morris can’t coach his way out of a wet paper sack.

Jek Tono Porkins

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hire the Pirate
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2019, 11:36:38 pm »

i don’t see anyone saying we are elite. We are saying we are better than this garbage though. No reason we shouldn’t expect to mop up non power 5 opponents and expect 3-5 conference wins with an occasional great run with the right mix of players.
Exactly. That’s all we’re asking for here. I’m not asking to compete for an SEC championship every year. At this point I’m asking for Houston Nutt seasons. At the very least I’m asking to beat teams that we shell out money in order to play against.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2019, 11:55:28 pm »

You can win here

Hdn, hatfield, holtz, jfb all won here before BP showed up. But what all 5 if those showed is you have to have far above avg in state classes for a couple years paired with solid ol and dl play and a couple out of state studs.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2019, 11:58:14 pm »

Because that was the standard until Morris got here? Losing to a pay-to-play team is unthinkable. I don’t think Nutt ever did it. Petrino never did it. Smile did it and Bielema did it once in 5 years. Morris is currently just over .500 against pay-to-play teams. And what’s frustrating about it is that he’ll lose to a pay-to-play team and then lose to a ranked SEC team by a touchdown. He sets the floor so low that that’s seen as “improvement” but I see it as evidence that we actually have the talent to beat the pay-to-play team and probably the SEC team, it’s just that Morris can’t coach his way out of a wet paper sack.

Look, i was never on the morris train, never thought he was anything but a settle. However, I also do not think AR is some giant of college football. They are average and average programs have really bad stretches amd really good stretches. They are hardly ever consistently good or bad.

Torqued pork

• Wait 'til the next life.
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2019, 12:01:25 am »

The ugliest fact of all is we have fans who have given up on the program as a whole instead of realizing Morris brought nothing to the table other than an interview that "blew away" the non-football clowns responsible for finding a capable coach.

EastexHawg

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2019, 12:12:51 am »

Why are some fans so intent not only on being satisfied with terrible football, but trying to convince other people to give up on being anything more than a doormat as well?

I can't figure out why any Razorback fan would want to maintain the status quo and keep Morris around.  He's never going to be anything better than mediocre, and he would have to improve to achieve mediocrity.  The worst thing that could happen would be for him to finally win a game and convince the administration to give him more time.  Every game this staff coaches at Arkansas is a week that is gone and can never be gotten back.

"We suck and you people need to learn to accept it!" What kind of of outlook is that?

Jek Tono Porkins

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hire the Pirate
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2019, 12:23:41 am »

Look, i was never on the morris train, never thought he was anything but a settle. However, I also do not think AR is some giant of college football. They are average and average programs have really bad stretches amd really good stretches. They are hardly ever consistently good or bad.
You’re arguing against a position that nobody is saying. Nobody is saying we’re a giant of college football. We are saying that right now we are in the middle of what will end up being the worst SEC losing streak in not just our history, but CONFERENCE history since we joined the conference.

Again, I could live with it if we were showing improvement. But we’re not. There’s no improvement here. Morris is a sinking ship and the longer we stay on the ship the worse it’s going to get.

Hogs958

• Senior
  • Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2019, 12:24:33 am »

Jesus. Stop this self loathing crap. Expect better. We can be better.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2019, 12:28:59 am »

The Razorback football program has never overcome the following.

The 1969 loss to Texas
The 1987 loss to Miami (FL)

Both of those were self-induced, which was the not kicking a field goal in the 1969 game, and the not hiring Jimmy Johnson that led to the dismantling in 1987.

depressed_fan

• Varsity
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2019, 12:30:03 am »

The problem is though, he's got a built in excuse that he's trying to win with Bielima's players and people initially wanted to believe Bielima was a poor recruiter.  So which is it, year 1 it's always "let's blame the last coach for these lower tier players".  Now, I suppose it's this new coach in year two should be doing better with the former coaches players. 

Our past SEC success has a common theme to it.  It started with Danny Ford replacing Crowe.  Ford was here 5 years.  Ford had a good 95 season winning the West, but people also agree he recruited well and left Nutt a good roster.  Nutt comes in and wins big year one with Ford's players, takes a dip around 2000, and keeps it rolling until 2004 and 2005.  I'd consider 2004 and 2005 rebuilding years.  In 2006 Nutt wins the west, is competitive with Florida in the SECCG, and the next year goes 8-4 and for his grand finale goes in to Baton Rouge and beats the eventual National champion.  Then he's run off, I guess b/c he lost to Alabama Auburn Kentucky and Tennessee.  Only one of those games we really should of expected to win but he made up for it with the LSU game.  I don't remember ever going in to a game under Nutt knowing we were going to lose.  Most this crap we've been looking at the last several years, we know we are going to lose before the game starts.

And the common theme, Nutt left Petrino enough talent to win with as well as there was a great in-state class Petrino's first year.  Remember, a lot of those guys that won all those games Petrino's year 3 and 4 were Nutt's upperclassmen.   If you think Chad may be adequate at recruiting the state of Texas, even if that's finding some diamonds in the rough, right now that's the best option.  If we get lucky, the next coach will be able to compete with his roster.  The Petrino to , John L, to Belima, to Chad transitions don't seem to be near to Ford to Nutt to Petrino. 

SooieGeneris

• The Lane Train Kept A Rollin' To UA
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2019, 12:57:29 am »

Who said we were elite? DUH, you don't say Inspector Clueless-eau..

runninrazorback

« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2019, 08:23:13 am »

I wish they would get to average, 0-14 is not average.

go hogues

• You're at an eight but we need you at a two.
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2019, 08:54:44 am »

Nebraska and Tennessee are in as bad a shape as Arkansas
Tennessee, for all their fans (and the media on their behalf) handwringing and teeth gnashing, will probably make a decent bowl THIS year.

Tennessee would D E S T R O Y the Hogs this year.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas