• 10,553,007 Posts
• 415,754 Topics
• 23,843 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Astros pitching  (Read 1186 times)

EastexHawg

Astros pitching
« on: October 10, 2019, 11:42:01 pm »

Verlander was more or less sacrificed in game 4 of the ALDS, going on three days of rest for maybe the only time in his career, so that Houston would be able to bring Cole back on normal rest for game 5, or to start game 1 of the ALCS if Verlander had won.

Grienke has been a great addition and is an outstanding #3 starter, but he's not nearly as dominant as the Astros' big two.  Cole and Verlander will each get two starts in a seven game series...if it goes that long...so that looks good for Houston.  But, if the Yankees can beat either one of them just once they have to feel pretty good about their chances in the other three games.

I'll say Astros in six.

EastexHawg

Re: Astros pitching
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 02:45:45 pm »

Was the moment too big for Gerrit Cole last night, starting the first game of the World Series?  He definitely wasn't the same pitcher he has been since May and the Astros missed a chance to win a game in which Max Scherzer was shaky.  Houston needs to beat Strasburg tonight or they are behind the 8 ball in this series.  I'll predict Verlander pitches well and they go to Washington at one game apiece. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Wisco Pig

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 03:07:06 pm »

Was the moment too big for Gerrit Cole last night, starting the first game of the World Series?  He definitely wasn't the same pitcher he has been since May and the Astros missed a chance to win a game in which Max Scherzer was shaky.  Houston needs to beat Strasburg tonight or they are behind the 8 ball in this series.  I'll predict Verlander pitches well and they go to Washington at one game apiece.

I don't know whether the stage was too bright or if the law of averages simply caught up with Cole at the worst possible time.  He's been on an incredible roll, but no one's going to have plus-plus stuff every time out.

This is the thing that's always been cruel about playoff baseball (or great, depending on your rooting interest).  Almost everything can seemingly turn on the outcome of one game, where conditions and match-ups that worked to your advantage throughout the regular season suddenly go *poof*.

hoglady

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 10:53:20 pm »

Astros are playing tight.
Bregman is struggling - first at the plate and now in the field.
I thought their poor post season hitting might catch up with them in this series / and sure has so far.

Nationals are playing loose, having fun and scoring runs.

EastexHawg

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 09:32:06 am »

The Astros' hopes now revolve around whether Grienke, who had a really good year but has struggled since his near no-hitter, can get a win against someone other than Scherzer and Strasburg.  Houston has to hope that their 3rd and 4th pitchers are better than the Nationals'.

I'll just throw this out there...Grienke is a great athlete and good hitting pitcher.  He can handle the bat, which could be a slight advantage for the Astros in a national league park.

hoglady

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 09:49:42 am »

The Astros' hopes now revolve around whether Grienke, who had a really good year but has struggled since his near no-hitter, can get a win against someone other than Scherzer and Strasburg.  Houston has to hope that their 3rd and 4th pitchers are better than the Nationals'.

I'll just throw this out there...Grienke is a great athlete and good hitting pitcher.  He can handle the bat, which could be a slight advantage for the Astros in a national league park.

Astros need a mental reset.
Even when the game was tied last night - they looked miserable. Concerned and worried faces all around.
I guess the stress of being the favored team - while the Nationals are playing like they have nothing to lose.

GolfNut57

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 11:43:42 am »

Astros need a mental reset.
Even when the game was tied last night - they looked miserable. Concerned and worried faces all around.
I guess the stress of being the favored team - while the Nationals are playing like they have nothing to lose.

Being down 2-0 in games the Astros better start playing like they have nothing to lose.

EastexHawg

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 12:12:47 am »

The win tonight means the Astros are at least assured of getting to Cole pitching game 5.

hoglady

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 06:41:10 am »

Nationals like the Astros in the 2 games before - could not buy a key hit with RISP.
The tables turned last night.

David†

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 09:48:48 am »

Atros will make this a series. Wouldnt be surprised at all if the win it. Altuve will walk it off in game 7 :)

hoglady

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2019, 04:27:36 pm »

Atros will make this a series. Wouldnt be surprised at all if the win it. Altuve will walk it off in game 7 :)

Astros for sure have the better bullpen.
But they need Verlander to win a game.

David†

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2019, 07:50:59 pm »

Game 5

Cole is getting a wide plater than Ross through 2 innings

Ump is giving him a ball width on the outsdie. Its causing swings at balls.

EastexHawg

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2019, 02:28:55 pm »

The Nationals certainly did their share of whining.  The home plate umpire missed numerous calls for both teams.  Some of the inside strikes he called against Astros hitters were six inches off the plate.

A questionable call here and there didn't cause three rockets off Houston bats to travel a combined 1,250 feet.  That Springer homer was as no doubt about it as they come.

Verlander gets a chance to win the clincher, but one thing to keep in mind is that he had among the lowest run support in the league this year.  The Astros don't hit when he is on the mound.  It's not as bad as the old days when J.R. Richard and Nolan Ryan had to win games 1-0 or 2-1, but it reminds me of it.

hoglady

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2019, 11:21:21 pm »

Pretty crazy WS so far - and Verlander still can't get a win or any run support.

What did ya'll think of the call at 1st base?

David†

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2019, 11:45:09 pm »

It was a bad throw, lead 1st basemen right into base path. What else is Turner suppose to do stop and wait for him to catch it? Trash call shouldnt have been made.

Strasburg is a machine. He got the wider strike zone tonight. Though the ump missed a few the other way too. Feel bad for Verlander i like that guy, his college pitching coach is my sons pitching coach.

I dont have a dog in the hunt and dont care who wins, just want to see some good baseball. Its crazy the road team has won every game thus far.

David†

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2019, 11:47:06 pm »

Bregman is a great player. Nobody loves Bregman more than Bregman, dude is a punk that needs smacked down. Soto gave him the finger. Lol

Wisco Pig

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2019, 11:49:14 pm »

What did ya'll think of the call at 1st base?

Did not like.

Glad Rendon broke the game open and took the spotlight off the call.

GolfNut57

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2019, 10:38:52 am »

Verlander chokes when it is time to win the big one. Did it last year vs Boston. And is doing it again this year.

Wisco Pig

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2019, 11:10:57 am »

Justin Verlander in the postseason

Division series:  8-1, 2.52 ERA, 1.04 WHIP
Pennant series:  6-4, 3.13 ERA, 0.98 WHIP
World Series:     0-6, 5.68 ERA, 1.29 WHIP in 7 starts

He has now lost his last 4 starts when his team had a chance to clinch a playoff series. That's the longest streak in MLB history.

David†

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2019, 03:02:50 pm »

Going to be a good game tonight.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2019, 09:33:05 pm »

Yeah, that escalated quickly!

David†

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2019, 09:41:34 pm »

I bet we see Cole in the 8th. Not that it takes Nostradamus to figure that out. Especially since hes already been warming up

David†

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2019, 10:13:26 pm »

Hinch let me down.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2019, 10:47:54 pm »

So much for home field advantage!

GolfNut57

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2019, 10:59:24 pm »

So the road team won every game in the series. First time that ever happened. If I am the Astros fans I would be super pissed at Verlander for choking when it counted. TWICE in the WS. But....good for the Nats. Nice to see a new team win the title. Bet old Harper is pissed that they did that AFTER he left town. Shows how much he is really worth to a team.

hoglady

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2019, 06:48:55 am »

Crazy series but super entertaining.
Figured the Astros would break through at home but it didn't happen.
Really a great world series.

EastexHawg

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2019, 10:57:14 am »

Why do you warm Cole up but not bring him in?

Washington pitching was better than Astros hitting, although there were a ton of missed Houston opportunities.  It's hard to beat the hottest team in baseball when you know it's going to take a shutout or giving up one run to do it.  Verlander and Greinke had no margin for error.  Both of them pitched well enough to win if their lineup had produced like the Nationals.

By the way, I wouldn't trust Osuna as far as I could throw him in a clutch situation.

311Hog

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2019, 11:02:06 am »

i was really happy for Strausburg and i had a belly laugh thinking about Harper and what must be going through his mind last night.

hoglady

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2019, 11:08:42 am »

Ryan Zimmerman was the best story of the series for me.
First player drafted by them after the move to Washington 15 years ago.
Been there his whole career.
Doesn't happen much in baseball anymore.

311Hog

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2019, 11:09:56 am »

Ryan Zimmerman was the best story of the series for me.
First player drafted by them after the move to Washington 15 years ago.
Been there his whole career.
Doesn't happen to much in baseball anymore.

oh yeah definitely was allot of "firsts" last night. first time ever a no. 1 over all pick won with the team that drafted him etc.

hoglady

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2019, 11:23:51 am »

I love the World Series.
But hate it when MLB ends - spring training will be here soon enough, though.
Hope my Red Sox find some answers next year.

David†

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2019, 11:25:51 am »

Why do you warm Cole up but not bring him in?

Washington pitching was better than Astros hitting, although there were a ton of missed Houston opportunities.  It's hard to beat the hottest team in baseball when you know it's going to take a shutout or giving up one run to do it.  Verlander and Greinke had no margin for error.  Both of them pitched well enough to win if their lineup had produced like the Nationals.

By the way, I wouldn't trust Osuna as far as I could throw him in a clutch situation.

I couldn't believe he didnt put Cole in. Also thought hr pulled Greinke too early.

Flip side i though Stras should have finished the 9th in game 6

hawkhawg

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2019, 11:25:59 am »

oh yeah definitely was allot of "firsts" last night. first time ever a no. 1 over all pick won with the team that drafted him etc.

Luke Hochevar was the overall #1 pick for KC. 
Chipper Jones for the Braves.
Darryl Strawberry for the Mets

311Hog

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2019, 11:40:03 am »

i think it was the MVP award that was the unique part.

David†

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2019, 11:42:13 am »

I love the World Series.
But hate it when MLB ends - spring training will be here soon enough, though.
Hope my Red Sox find some answers next year.

Sox werent horruble this year especially for all thr pitching injuries. Hopefully Cora gets the rotation ready for season next year instead of getting them ready when season starts. Maybe they will pick up Cole.

David†

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2019, 11:43:39 am »

I think they were talking about the 1st player ever drafted by the franchise. I could be wrong though

hoglady

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2019, 12:29:00 pm »

Sox werent horruble this year especially for all thr pitching injuries. Hopefully Cora gets the rotation ready for season next year instead of getting them ready when season starts. Maybe they will pick up Cole.

Can't imagine what the price tag for Cole will be - but man I would be excited if the Sox got him.
Yes - the spring training pitching experiment didn't quite work out as planned. Was a total bust.
Started the season with starters not ready to pitch.

Not surprisingly Sox fired the pitching coach Juan Nieves.

David†

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2019, 12:49:23 pm »

Can't imagine what the price tag for Cole will be - but man I would be excited if the Sox got him.
Yes - the spring training pitching experiment didn't quite work out as planned. Was a total bust.

At least we aren't talking about thr Yankees 2019 world champs

GolfNut57

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2019, 05:26:40 pm »

The Red Sox pitching coach was Dana LaVangie this past season. But yes he was fired a month or so ago.

As to getting Cole....it would be nice but I ain't holding my breath. No way they are going to get him and keep Betts after 2020 if John Henry really wants the team under the tax threshold. In fact they may have to hope that JD Martinez chooses to opt out of his deal in a few days in order to save some money for this winter. Now that the WS ended last night JD has 5 days to decide if he is staying in Boston or opting out. If he leaves Boston has to pay him $2.5M as a buyout.

hoglady

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2019, 05:48:04 pm »

The Red Sox pitching coach was Dana LaVangie this past season. But yes he was fired a month or so ago.

As to getting Cole....it would be nice but I ain't holding my breath. No way they are going to get him and keep Betts after 2020 if John Henry really wants the team under the tax threshold. In fact they may have to hope that JD Martinez chooses to opt out of his deal in a few days in order to save some money for this winter. Now that the WS ended last night JD has 5 days to decide if he is staying in Boston or opting out. If he leaves Boston has to pay him $2.5M as a buyout.

Ha!! I screwed that up.
I knew they fired the coach - Nieves was fired in 2015.
Oldtimers got me.

GolfNut57

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2019, 09:19:31 pm »

Ha!! I screwed that up.
I knew they fired the coach - Nieves was fired in 2015.
Oldtimers got me.

No biggie...it gets me a lot too, being 62 and all. I'd like to have Cole too. He would complement Sale and Price nicely. But I'd be shocked if we got him. John Henry is determined to get a lower payroll.

I heard the Angel's are a strong shot to get Cole though. He is a west coast native if I heard correctly.

David†

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2019, 09:42:43 pm »

No biggie...it gets me a lot too, being 62 and all. I'd like to have Cole too. He would complement Sale and Price nicely. But I'd be shocked if we got him. John Henry is determined to get a lower payroll.

I heard the Angel's are a strong shot to get Cole though. He is a west coast native if I heard correctly.

You would think with the coin they dropped on Trout, they would get some pitching to make a run. Must suck to have the "best player" in baseball and never make the playoffs.

GolfNut57

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2019, 09:48:25 pm »

You would think with the coin they dropped on Trout, they would get some pitching to make a run. Must suck to have the "best player" in baseball and never make the playoffs.

That was the exact reason I heard they were the front runners to get Cole. They want to get some pitching to back up Trout.

Tai_Mai_Shu

• Senior
  • Gina Carano - these hands aren't made for texting
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2019, 09:30:13 am »

I have no doubt in my mind that Joe Maddon is going to get them into the playoffs next year.

liljo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2019, 04:55:27 pm »

At least we aren't talking about thr Yankees 2019 world champs
...or the Cubs, which is always nice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas