• 10,472,501 Posts
• 413,216 Topics
• 23,631 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Bets For 2020  (Read 9281 times)

litmachog

• Hogvillian
  • Praise God From Whom All Things Come
Best Bets For 2020
« on: October 07, 2019, 08:41:47 am »

I havenít paid too close attention to the 2020 class.  Who are our best bets to sign with the Hogs?

YellCountyHog21

Re: Best Bets For 2020
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 09:37:20 am »

Top Targets

- Bryce Thompson, CG, 5-star
- Kyree Walker, SF, very high 4-star
- Moses Moody, SG, high 4-star
- Jaylin Williams, C, 4-star
- KK Robinson, PG, 4-star
- Keon Ambrose-Hylton, PF, 4-star
- Rondel Walker, SG, 4-star
- Davonte Davis, PG, 4-star
- Chris Moore, PF, 4-star

Bolded the ones I feel pretty good about.  I still like our chances with most of the rest.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hogwood

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Just Chillin' Like A Villain
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 10:35:03 am »

Check out my 2020 sticky post for a full list of offers.

davehog

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 10:38:38 am »

Top Targets

Bolded the ones I feel pretty good about.  I still like our chances with most of the rest.

Great list...I'd add McBride although not technically a 2020 guy but at this point should be treated as a 2020 guy. He could play this season in the spring semester somewhere but don't know how likely that would be either from his own personal perspective or his prospective new team. 

Kevin McPherson

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 12:27:43 pm »

Great list...I'd add McBride although not technically a 2020 guy but at this point should be treated as a 2020 guy. He could play this season in the spring semester somewhere but don't know how likely that would be either from his own personal perspective or his prospective new team.

Not without an NCAA waiver. He won't be eligible until the spring semester of '20-21 without a waiver, effectively loses his RS season PLUS a 1st semester of games (probably 8-10 games lost).

Amityvillehogger

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Veni, vidi, vici...
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 12:53:47 pm »

I like this staffs ability and desire to recruit. Muss has done and said all the right things thus far.

I believe the product on the court will back it up also.

Muleriderhog

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 10:03:26 pm »

Top Targets

I think we sign all the bolded and Ambrose-Hylton.

cardinalhawg

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 07:07:37 am »

I think we sign all the bolded and Ambrose-Hylton.

If this happens it will be like "The Band" in reverse since the Band had Levon Helm the Arkansan with the rest being Canadians with the proposed Arkansas class being all Arkansans and one Canadian.

That would also be a strong shooting lineup with good length mixed with some good penetration and speed.

lumphog

• I love this picture
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 11:43:48 am »

If this happens it will be like "The Band" in reverse since the Band had Levon Helm the Arkansan with the rest being Canadians with the proposed Arkansas class being all Arkansans and one Canadian.

That would also be a strong shooting lineup with good length mixed with some good penetration and speed.

RIP Levon
He was a helluva dude

The real Hogules

• My Hogs are bad ass!
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 03:22:44 pm »

I haven't completely given up on Bryce Thompson as a possibility, either.
He may be a long shot, but on rare occasions a long shot pays off!

redleg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 03:46:45 pm »

Fingers crossed that Musselman can sign these in-state players:

4* SG Moses Moody 6'5" 185 lbs. NLR - by way of Montverde, FL Prep
4* PF Chris Moore 6'7" 225 lbs. West Memphis
4* C Jaylin Williams 6'10" 230 lbs. Ft. Smith
4* PG KK Robinson 6'0" 180 lbs. Bryant
4* CG Davonte Davis 6'4" 180 lbs. Jacksonville
3* PG Gerald Doakes 6'1" 165 lbs. Jacksonville

Plus 4* SF Kyree Walker 6'5" 200 lbs. from Arizona.

THAT would be one helluva good recruiting class!  ;D

Lud42

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 04:32:18 pm »

Would be a heck of a class, but since we only have 3 spots (4 if Joe enters the draft) which of the 4 current Hogs expected back next season would you send packing to clear space?

hogwood

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 05:59:15 pm »

I believe Doakes is in 2021 now. He also moved to Houston 1.5 yrs ago.

hogfan14

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2019, 06:15:51 pm »

Would be a heck of a class, but since we only have 3 spots (4 if Joe enters the draft) which of the 4 current Hogs expected back next season would you send packing to clear space?

Donít we have 4 spots? Bailey, Cylla, Whitt and then Gabeís old spot?

Kevin McPherson

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2019, 06:39:42 pm »

Yes.

Hawg Red

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2019, 07:30:12 pm »

I believe Doakes is in 2021 now. He also moved to Houston 1.5 yrs ago.

I thought he moved back?

Lud42

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2019, 07:54:31 pm »

Yes, I think that's right. Forgot about Gabe.

The_Bionic_Pig

• VICTORY IS MINE!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Orlando, Florida
    • My YOUTUBE profile & vids
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2019, 08:01:47 pm »

Their is going to be turnover... I'm thinking (6) spots

Atkins Hog

• Varsity
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2019, 08:31:06 pm »

Their is going to be turnover... I'm thinking (6) spots
I figure Harris will grad transfer somewhere and Henderson will leave as well.

Hawg Red

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2019, 08:42:17 pm »

I see us as having 4 spots to fill in the fall and then another 3 after the season.

Atkins Hog

• Varsity
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2019, 08:55:11 pm »

I see us as having 4 spots to fill in the fall and then another 3 after the season.
Harris, Henderson and who?

Muleriderhog

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2019, 08:58:46 pm »

We will have at least 2 guys transfer out at the end of the year.

cardinalhawg

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2019, 09:20:13 pm »

As far as guys that I see as reasonable options for us to land, I like the following class of four.

KK Robinson, 6-1:  Can play the point guard and also off the ball and thus can play the 1 or 2.  Can shoot the three, mid-range jumper and can penetrate.  Good defender and team player.  Hard worker.  Good versatility at the guard position and good defender even if on the shorter side.  Tough player.

Moses Moody, 6-5:  Can play the 2 or 3.  Great shooter and also can score at the other level and handle the ball some.  Hard working player and defender with good length. Good team player.

Keon Ambrose-Hylton, 6-8:  Can play the 3 or 4.  Can defend multiple positions.  Shoots well from distance.  Can handle the ball some.  Good length.  Versatile player and not one that we have typically landed in recent classes regarding skill set for his height.

Jaylin Williams, 6-10:  Can play the 4 or 5.  Can defend multiple positions.  Can play inside and outside and shoot some from outside.  Good passer.

That class provides a good variety of offensive and defensive versatility with all three being out to shoot the three from varying level of decent to great.  I am thinking this class provides a good variety of players ranging from possibly one and done to various years of being here before going pro and with Robinson being a four year player.

I could easily put Davis in place of Robinson since Davis provide more length, is more of a true point guard, and is strong at penetration but not as good of a shooter.  I could easily put McBride in there as I really love his offensive game realizing how that can make such a difference and even more so when paired with other shooters and how he can create his own shot. 

I could easily put Moore in place of Ambrose-Hylton but I just like Ambrose-Hylton's offensive game and shooting ability more along with his length.  I do think Moore is a great team player and could really develop into a strong player. 

I left off Bryce Thompson as I would be glad to land him but I am not thinking our chances are good of landing him.

I do not necessarily think we have to land a big in this class or even so in the fall, but I would sure like to get one and want one who is versatile.  If we get both Moore and Ambrose-Hylton then that provides good size at key positions and to pair with some of our other bigger guys.   I do think getting a player who can handle the point well and get to the goal is important.  Also, as I stress continually, we need to land players who can shoot to make Muss's system really go.

I would be fine with taking 5 players in the fall, but would prefer 3-4 with my best preference being four of the prime recruits.  One of these could be a player like McBride who would join the team at mid-term.  Taking four covers the spots currently open.  Then if Joe goes pro that is one spot and if one players transfers that is two spots, which I think that is reasonable to fill with grad transfers, regular transfers, and/or any prep players still on the table.  If we take just four and Joe stays, then that makes us even stronger if we land more stronger shooters and versatile players to be paired with him for an even stronger looking team.

cardinalhawg

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2019, 09:35:05 pm »

Also, I do not want to see a 6-7 player class consisting of all prep players.  That is just too many from the same class and that often leads to quick transfers, too much youth, and unbalanced classes and can recreate situations like last year.  Even with more highly touted and talented players it can still be an issue as we see teams like Kansas and others deal with. 

It is kind of a push/pull situation.  Certain commitments could help with others while at the same time hurt with others especially when competing for the same positions or same size players.  I also seems like a lot of people want to play the point guard position these days and that is hard to balance.  Muss's offense does give the freedom for various ones to bring the ball up the court and play the positions so that helps to some degree. 

Certain commitments could domino effect others into committing while others are probably waiting to see who comes on board before making a decision to Arkansas and to not be possibly recruited over in the same class.  Some may want to see more of the Hogs in action.

If Jones, Chaney, and Vanover (if eligible) play well this year, then it is going to be hard for prep recruits to come in and play a lot unless they are versatile players.  If Harris stays, he would be a senior point guard.  Notae and Iyiola will have another year of development being in their fourth years at college.  There is also Sills who will be in his third year.  If Joe returns and doesn't go pro, that is another player who will play a lot.  There will be competition at positions, so players need to bring various skill sets on both ends, hard work, and hustle in order to get minutes.

Muleriderhog

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2019, 10:58:03 pm »

I would be fine with taking 5 players in the fall, but would prefer 3-4 with my best preference being four of the prime recruits. 

We are taking a minimum of 6. Two guys on the team now will transfer out, now if all 6 are high school seniors is the question.

cardinalhawg

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2019, 11:25:32 pm »

We are taking a minimum of 6. Two guys on the team now will transfer out, now if all 6 are high school seniors is the question.

That would be similar to my thinking, but not all 6 being prep players or in the Fall Signing Period.

Muleriderhog

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2019, 11:52:00 pm »

That would be similar to my thinking, but not all 6 being prep players or in the Fall Signing Period.
This is what Iím thinking/hoping to see
Davis
Moody
Ambrose-Hylton
Robinson
Williams
McBride

Hawg Red

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2019, 08:15:02 am »

Harris, Henderson and who?

Are you forgetting our NBA prospect?

Dantztime

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2019, 08:56:21 am »

This is what Iím thinking/hoping to see
Davis
Moody
Ambrose-Hylton
Robinson
Williams
McBride

I'd be very surprised to see davis, Robinson and mcbride all come together

daprospecta

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2019, 09:19:45 am »

I figure Harris will grad transfer somewhere and Henderson will leave as well.
IMO, Harris is the best true point guard on the team. Not the best player but the best true point guard.  If he could shoot, I could see him getting a shot at the next level. If we can keep him, he will be 22-23 and a man amongst boys his last year. 

hogwood

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2019, 10:00:23 am »

IMO right now it actually seems like our best bet for an AR kid is Moses Moody. I think we have a great shot at Ambrose-Hylton as well. I think we end up snagging 1 of the remaining 4 AR kids (Moore, Williams, Davis, or Robinson) in the early period as well, but I can't tell who (leaning Robinson).

So that would be 3 signees early. I'm certain Joe will go pro, plus 1 transfer (it's a given these days), so that would give us 3 more spots to fill in the spring. If any of the AR kids are available then I'm sure we will still be in play for at least 1. McBride could be a transfer option, then I see Muss going after a JUCO or impact grad transfer to complete the class. So 4 true freshmen, and 2 transfers (although McBride would be a RS FR).

Utah

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2019, 11:31:32 am »

IMO, Harris is the best true point guard on the team. Not the best player but the best true point guard.  If he could shoot, I could see him getting a shot at the next level. If we can keep him, he will be 22-23 and a man amongst boys his last year.
I don't know if it was just a one game sample or not, but Whitt ran circles around him in the R/W game. He was clearly the #1 PG.

Lud42

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2019, 01:30:43 pm »

I don't know if it was just a one game sample or not, but Whitt ran circles around him in the R/W game. He was clearly the #1 PG.

I wouldn't have agreed with this a week ago, but after seeing the red-white game I agree.

You guys have also convinced me we may ultimately take six, but I think we take four in November, then if Joe goes pro and another transfers we would wait to fill those spots with transfers, preferably grad transfers.

Seems like it would be a smart strategy to try to sign four each season and cover any early draftees or transfers with the portal to try and keep a good balance between the classes.

Moody
Ambrose-Hilton
Williams

Plus one of:
Davis
Robinson
McBride

That would be a nice haul for November, but who knows? Think as we see some of these schools that are a little higher than we are in the pecking order start filling their classes ours will begin to come into a little more focus.

Hawg Red

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2019, 01:41:28 pm »

Seems like it would be a smart strategy to try to sign four each season and cover any early draftees or transfers with the portal to try and keep a good balance between the classes.

Some of us have been screaming for that for years and scolded because it isn't sustainable.

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2019, 05:24:36 pm »

I thought in the end, Moore was likely to be a hog but not seeing many picking us to get him. I would think he and Jaylin Williams are the most likely to sign along with Davis. Moody could be a tough pull.  Am I missing something on Moore? Is he headed to Memphis?

Muleriderhog

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2019, 05:33:03 pm »

I thought in the end, Moore was likely to be a hog but not seeing many picking us to get him. I would think he and Jaylin Williams are the most likely to sign along with Davis. Moody could be a tough pull.  Am I missing something on Moore? Is he headed to Memphis?
Moore is the one we have the least chance with at this point, pretty sure heís headed to Memphis. Moody is the Arkansas guy we have the best shot with as of right now.

Lud42

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2019, 07:05:08 pm »

Moore is the one we have the least chance with at this point, pretty sure heís headed to Memphis. Moody is the Arkansas guy we have the best shot with as of right now.

I'm sure Moore is waiting on Memphis, but I would be willing to bet Penny is stringing the kid along and ultimately will fill Moore's spot with a higher rated player.

IronMountainHog

• ďIt ainít Arkan, itís Arkansas baby!!Ē -DMAC 2007
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2019, 07:37:26 pm »

I'm sure Moore is waiting on Memphis, but I would be willing to bet Penny is stringing the kid along and ultimately will fill Moore's spot with a higher rated player.
That is exactly what will happen in my opinion.

cardinalhawg

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2019, 09:21:25 pm »

Now that Davonte Davis has an offer from the Hogs, that might move the needle for the early signing period as he did not have an offer when Kevin interviewed him this past weekend.  Things should start shaping up by the end of the month as some major visits will have taken place by then.

Another dark horse possibility is Kerwin Walton.  Hog coaches keep going out to see him each week including tomorrow so there seems to be mutual interest there.   Perhaps he is attracted to his home state school of Minnesota, but he has family in Arkansas but just hasn't taken an official visit to Fayetteville yet.   Maybe Moses Moody is the stronger priority with the upcoming visit to take place and both do play similar positions with similar skills sets with both being great shooters.

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2019, 05:25:14 pm »

I donít have inside knowledge but I think this is backwards.  Moody will be very hard to sign.

Hawg Red

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2019, 07:55:21 pm »

I donít have inside knowledge but I think this is backwards.  Moody will be very hard to sign.

We appear very much in the mix for Moody.

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2019, 08:03:14 pm »

We appear very much in the mix for Moody.
I understand weíre in the mix. I know he has had a lot of contact with our coaches. I still donít see it happening.

hogfan14

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2019, 08:37:16 pm »

I understand weíre in the mix. I know he has had a lot of contact with our coaches. I still donít see it happening.

Itís definitely hard to tell which way heís leaning but I think his parents being at the red-white game was a good sign

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2019, 08:48:23 pm »

Itís definitely hard to tell which way heís leaning but I think his parents being at the red-white game was a good sign
yeah I hope we land him. And glad to see some positives. He is a future NBA guard with his size and skill set. 

Hawg Red

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2019, 09:12:55 pm »

Okay, so, national recruiting reporters think Arkansas will be there in the end. Some say Arkansas or Florida, some say Arkansas or Michigan. Looks like it may not be Florida based on the canceled visit and Florida taking on other recruits in the backcourt. By all indications, heís very much interested in being a Hog. I think Arkansas is in a good of a position as they maybe have ever been with Moody.

Kevin McPherson

« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2019, 11:16:42 am »

When I looked at this stat on Wednesday, 55 of the 2020 national Top 100 were committed with 45 uncommitted ... that means the 5 Arkansas kids represent 11% of the uncommitted players ... Muss and his staff have done the work, unfortunately they came in playing from behind -- not just in building relationships, but in changing perceptions of the program as not being a consistent stepping-stone to the NBA.

Recruiting is not just about establishing the program as a proven winner, it's about development for the next level with a proven track-record to that end. Arkansas's coaches have impressive next-level resumes, just no body of work at as a high-major staff.

As of NOW, I believe Muss will sign 1-to-3 of the Arkansas kids. If he ends up with more than 3, as things stand now, I'll be somewhere between very surprised and shocked. Recruiting is crazier than it has ever been, and that can be felt in this state with such a deep and talented class.

Muleriderhog

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2019, 11:23:22 am »

Itís the complete opposite, we have a much, much better shot at Moody than Moore at the moment.

Kevin McPherson

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2019, 11:31:05 am »

Okay, so, national recruiting reporters think Arkansas will be there in the end. Some say Arkansas or Florida, some say Arkansas or Michigan. Looks like it may not be Florida based on the canceled visit and Florida taking on other recruits in the backcourt. By all indications, heís very much interested in being a Hog. I think Arkansas is in a good of a position as they maybe have ever been with Moody.

Moody ... Florida is out and Virginia is trying to get in (reported by Corey Evans of Rivals in the last couple of days but I've know about both since last week when I reported that Moses would not visit Florida as planned).

FWIW, Virginia is a late-comer but Moody will have two more OVs left after visiting Arkansas so we'll see if the Cavs make up enough ground to win a visit. I think the Hogs might be oh-so-slighly in the lead (my opinion, nothing more) over both Ohio State and Michigan, but it's fluid based on several factors.

Also, do not completely rule out Oregon because the Ducks consistently send coaches to see Moody even though he's never set up a visit. Again, things in recruiting shift based on numerous factors, so while Virginia and Oregon look like they're on the outside looking in today, that could change.

Hawg Red

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2019, 11:57:54 am »

As of NOW, I believe Muss will sign 1-to-3 of the Arkansas kids. If he ends up with more than 3, as things stand now, I'll be somewhere between very surprised and shocked. Recruiting is crazier than it has ever been, and that can be felt in this state with such a deep and talented class.

Know you wouldn't provide a name if so, but is that 1 Arkansas player baseline because there is a certain player you view as extremely likely or is that just playing the odds?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 12:43:23 pm by Hawg Red »

hawginbigd1

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2019, 12:39:20 pm »

No offense Kevin, but your sunshine pumping skills suck ;D

I was more hopeful like 3 or 4, but you killed that buzz.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas