• 10,244,209 Posts
• 416,868 Topics
• 24,908 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WalMart Home Office Opinions  (Read 2318 times)

SemperFi

• All-American Hogvillian
  • WOO PIG SOOIE 24/7/365
WalMart Home Office Opinions
« on: October 01, 2019, 10:56:16 am »

I am considering a career change from the aviation industry and into something a lot less volatile. Additionally, I have been away form home far too long and want to get back to Arkansas. Aging parents with health issues is also a driving factor. So, I've been on Indeed.com searching for job opportunities back home and I see that WalMart's Home Office in Bentonville is hiring. I'm a Project Engineer / Program Manager by trade specializing in Certification and have found several job openings that meet my specific experience. Although, my expertise is in aviation, Program Management is Program Management.

I'm also open to remaining in the aviation industry if the opportunity is right. So, if anyone has any insight to job openings back in Arkansas that are related to my specific expertise then please let me know. Thanks!

thebignasty

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • This one goes to 11.
Re: WalMart Home Office Opinions
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 11:00:14 am »

WM Home Office is constantly creating/sun-setting positions.  You can certainly have a very successful career with them there, but I think you'd be fleeing volatility for volatility.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

widespreadsooie

• Wearing shoes with no socks in cold weather
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 11:10:25 am »

WM Home Office is constantly creating/sun-setting positions.  You can certainly have a very successful career with them there, but I think you'd be fleeing volatility for volatility.

Same impression I've gotten from the WM home office folk.

SemperFi

• WOO PIG SOOIE 24/7/365
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 01:04:47 pm »

Thanks for the responses. Not what I was hoping to see, but I appreciate the insight. Was hoping that was going to be my ticket back to Godís country. Looks like Iím just going to have to win the lottery now.....lol!

widespreadsooie

• Wearing shoes with no socks in cold weather
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 04:48:12 pm »

Looked at Tyson? Their culture seems quite lax compared to Wal Mart from people I've talked to there.

311Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 04:54:10 pm »

Thanks for the responses. Not what I was hoping to see, but I appreciate the insight. Was hoping that was going to be my ticket back to Godís country. Looks like Iím just going to have to win the lottery now.....lol!

there are other employers other than WM i mean XNA is almost doubling in size in the near future.

vandybuff

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 04:37:59 pm »

I cannot help for I have worked for myself since the days of the pterodactyl, but a very sincere ""Good luck ... and thank you "so" for your service for us!!!"". 

ArkieBacon

• Senior
  • It's ARKANSAS Baby!
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 04:07:33 pm »

I would consider one of these larger companies in NWA.
JB Hunt is always hiring and is a great place to work.

Wal-Mart
Tyson Foods
J.B. Hunt Transports Services Inc.
Simmons Foods
McKee Foods Corp.
Ozark Mountain Poultry
PAM Transport
Georgeís
Cargill

PigDaddyKane

• Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 09:35:15 pm »

a couple of points.

1. thebignasty is speaking a lot of truth.  WMT HO is pretty good about churning folks through.  Seems to be a trend at the moment.
2. doesn't mean there isn't an opportunity to get on board there.  For some folks the culture works, for some it doesn't.

coming from a former home office employee.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 11:21:10 am »

Here are my two cents from someone that has worked with WM folks for 20 years. Itís a huge corp so a lot of things come just from that. I think overall work environment there has gotten better. It used to be everyone was miserable a holes.  The work environment often produces that. Now it seems like miserable a hole is more the exception not the rule.  Also just like any big Corp it depends on who you work for as well or what area you work in. Their benefits & treatment of people overall seem to be better. Had a buyer who recently had a child. He got 6 weeks of paid leave and could not work at all really even from home so that take it seriously.  They may churn through people but itís not like they are constantly changing. Just constantly evolving, and with their size there are plenty of opportunities to move up or just do something different. Is it the best place in the world to work. No, but far from the worst, and better than it used to be.  Also a great way to get up to NWA where the skies are blue, the air is fresh, and the streets are paved with gold

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • White Rock Mountain Pavilion.
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2020, 12:33:54 pm »

Here are my two cents from someone that has worked with WM folks for 20 years. Itís a huge corp so a lot of things come just from that. I think overall work environment there has gotten better. It used to be everyone was miserable a holes.  The work environment often produces that. Now it seems like miserable a hole is more the exception not the rule.  Also just like any big Corp it depends on who you work for as well or what area you work in. Their benefits & treatment of people overall seem to be better. Had a buyer who recently had a child. He got 6 weeks of paid leave and could not work at all really even from home so that take it seriously.  They may churn through people but itís not like they are constantly changing. Just constantly evolving, and with their size there are plenty of opportunities to move up or just do something different. Is it the best place in the world to work. No, but far from the worst, and better than it used to be.  Also a great way to get up to NWA where the skies are blue, the air is fresh, and the streets are paved with gold

When Sam was still alive and running Walmart it was a good place to work. After he was gone the corporate environment changed with the whims of whoever was running it.

Hog_One_Stop

• Senior
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2020, 03:58:38 pm »

They will replace u in a minute, your just a number

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2020, 07:04:58 pm »

They will replace u in a minute, your just a number

And that describes 90% of corporations. There is a reason that the saying "business is business" has been around a long time.

CampuspostmanHOG

• Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2020, 07:14:59 pm »

Have you thought of the U of A? Great benefits although the pay is not great for classified workers. https://hr.uark.edu/

Also USPS is hiring (or was). Decent pay but long hours at times.

Cotton

• If she ain't foreign she borin'
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2020, 07:52:49 pm »

Sounds like some disgruntled former employees to me.  I have three close friends that all work in different sectors up there.  All have nice things to say about their employer including the amount of opportunities to move up/move around and the incredible benefits.

hogfan98

• Agree to Disagree
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2020, 09:59:26 am »

I'm on the vendor side and have worked with numerous Walmart folks.  I've been told more than once that your team and supervisor can make or break your experience there.  I know the buying teams get shuffled around pretty often.  That side of the business is a grind with a ton of pressure so people move fairly regularly.  I don't know many back office people but I've seen less turnover there.  And it stands to reason that the work environment is a little more relaxed on the operations side since there isn't the pressure to make more money and improve margins.  And while it's not a big fear, I've also been told that a restructuring that could eliminate your position is always in the back of your mind...but that's pretty much the case with any major corp.

GroŖer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Led by Love of Country-Task Force Mountain Warrior
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2020, 12:47:42 am »

Civil Service is where it's at.

What do you do in aviation?

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2020, 05:34:10 am »

I'm on the vendor side and have worked with numerous Walmart folks.  I've been told more than once that your team and supervisor can make or break your experience there.  I know the buying teams get shuffled around pretty often.  That side of the business is a grind with a ton of pressure so people move fairly regularly.  I don't know many back office people but I've seen less turnover there.  And it stands to reason that the work environment is a little more relaxed on the operations side since there isn't the pressure to make more money and improve margins.  And while it's not a big fear, I've also been told that a restructuring that could eliminate your position is always in the back of your mind...but that's pretty much the case with any major corp.

True of big companies. My wife works for FedEx. The former department she was in changed Directors and she had to move on to a different one.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

• 5x National Champions 1909, '64, '65, '77, 2010*
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2020, 10:10:12 pm »

Walmart HO -- Hard Pass.

It might be better when they complete their new campus.  For me 1) Bentonville traffic daily, nope. 2) it's a 50+ mile one way commute for me, nope.  3) job security -- not really but I've got friends that have been there 20+ years, worked their way up from stocking shelves.  In my areas of interest turnover and downsizing happens a lot there   4) Salaries are not higher scale in the industry, nope.
5) Promotions and climbing the ladder, not if you aren't willing to move around, A LOT.  That's a yes for me, but doesn't sound so for you.

I resisted transportation for years, finally took a commissioned position at JB Hunt.  Made $54K my first year, kinda figured things out in my 2nd year and I pushed past 100K in the last 9 months.  We're really focused on growing there's opportunities across the country and across all our divisions.  Plus it's a Hog Heavy workforce.

ChitownHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Smooth vibes for a smooth day
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2020, 06:18:14 am »

I am considering a career change from the aviation industry and into something a lot less volatile. Additionally, I have been away form home far too long and want to get back to Arkansas. Aging parents with health issues is also a driving factor. So, I've been on Indeed.com searching for job opportunities back home and I see that WalMart's Home Office in Bentonville is hiring. I'm a Project Engineer / Program Manager by trade specializing in Certification and have found several job openings that meet my specific experience. Although, my expertise is in aviation, Program Management is Program Management.

I'm also open to remaining in the aviation industry if the opportunity is right. So, if anyone has any insight to job openings back in Arkansas that are related to my specific expertise then please let me know. Thanks!

Walmart seems to prefer retailers and not so much outside the industry. But you ever no.

thebignasty

• This one goes to 11.
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2020, 07:51:31 am »

Walmart seems to prefer retailers and not so much outside the industry. But you ever no.
They have an aviation and travel team.

https://careers.walmart.com/corporate/aviation-and-travel

kodiakisland

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2020, 05:49:47 am »

Sounds like some disgruntled former employees to me.  I have three close friends that all work in different sectors up there.  All have nice things to say about their employer including the amount of opportunities to move up/move around and the incredible benefits.

It's great they enjoy their job.  The people I know that work at the home office feel just the opposite.  One just took the same job with Home Depot for more than 3Xs the pay plus better benefits.  I guess it just depends on where you work and what your expectations are, but I hear very few positive comments from any WM employees.

They have an aviation and travel team.

https://careers.walmart.com/corporate/aviation-and-travel

Yeah, I'm wondering how that's going to look when all this Covid stuff gets sorted.  They may decide they can do a lot of business cheaper through other means than flying private jets all over the world.  I was hoping my son could get on with them, but aviation jobs are going to be hard to get for a couple of years.

Hog_One_Stop

• Senior
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2020, 07:35:47 am »

And that describes 90% of corporations. There is a reason that the saying "business is business" has been around a long time.
[/

Whatever
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas