• 10,565,872 Posts
• 416,002 Topics
• 23,895 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Direct TV at it again  (Read 5547 times)

redeye

Re: Direct TV at it again
« Reply #150 on: September 13, 2019, 06:32:16 pm »

I might be cutting the cord sooner than I thought and going with YouTube TV. I have been weighing my options between that and Sling.

YouTube TV is easier and more polished.  Sling is less expensive and has more options, but it also has more bugs and can be harder to setup.  I prefer Sling, but most will probably like YouTube TV better and I can't blame them.

Have had U-verse for years. Got it back when it was new and the picture pixelated  and was watery. Had some sort of dish provider before that and it was horrible when there was heavy rain.

For some reason, U-verse pushed hard for me to switch to DirecTV (realize U-verse owns Direct) but never could understand (and still don't) the reason why. I refused and even discussed the horrible issues with reception during heavy rain and even on windy days.

It's widely speculated that AT&T will end U-verse soon.  They recently created a new streaming service called AT&T TV, which will include Android set top boxes.  AT&T TV is supposedly going to replace U-verse soon.  It's essentially the same thing as AT&T Now, or DirectTV Now, except it requires a box and a subscription. It also has more channels.

They aren't going to lose me. This is all a propaganda move by Disney to try and force AT&T to lower the amount that they are insisting Disney pay.

Except that it's the other way around, because it's ESPN forcing AT&T to pay more.  In this case, ESPN deserves more blame, but it's hard to sympathize with either, because both create so many problems.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 07:04:20 pm by redeye »

GoHogs1091

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #151 on: September 13, 2019, 06:33:06 pm »

My AT&T internet 12 month discount recently ended.  AT&T said my rate were going up to $90/month........I just called them and they waived the increase, and returned my rate to $70/month for 1 TB of 300mbs/300 mbs service...........you just have to sweet talk them.....

My Mother had AT&T U Verse and she needed a new piece of equipment.  I handled the matter for my mother, but the person I spoke with at AT&T said that it wouldn't arrive for 5 days.  I told the person it needed to be overnighted, so the person put a Supervisor on.  I told the Supervisor that it needed to be overnighted.   The Supervisor said he couldn't make that decision.  I then told the Supervisor that I would contact CEO Randall Stephenson.  I told the Supervisor that I would let Stephenson know that I am miffed that one of his Supervisors can't make a decision like that, and that was no way to do business.

That got the Supervisor's attention.  The piece of equipment arrived in 2 days.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Hog N Bama

« Reply #152 on: September 13, 2019, 06:40:09 pm »

This is a major problem in Arkansas. High speed internet should be more available and cheaper.

I pay 54.99 for 100mbps.  That should be the standard.
Just upgraded internet  to 100 mps fiber with ATT for free, and $40/mo. This after cancelling U-VERSE and adding Hulu Live. Saving $130/ mo. Hulu Live even has local channels but I installed an attic antenna, coaxed it to the existing splitter for local channels and more. All in perfect HD and better picture than with UVerse 😁

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #153 on: September 13, 2019, 06:40:10 pm »

I thought Jonesboro was the boonies?

No, but you can see them from there..............

ricepig

« Reply #154 on: September 13, 2019, 06:41:14 pm »

No, but you can see them from there..............

This is true.

Hog N Bama

« Reply #155 on: September 13, 2019, 06:54:19 pm »

Guys there is a reason companies are quietly trying like hell to get out of the fiber infrastructure building business.

5g is going to rip it apart within 3 years.

The infrastructure will be cell towers (which are great investments if anyone wants to know.)
and in essence everyone will be living in a microwave oven lol🤯

Been10Hog

« Reply #156 on: September 13, 2019, 07:08:58 pm »

I have a feeling AT&T is getting too much blame here. ESPN has been among the highest costs for cable companies for a long time. By itself, it is probably going to also push streaming service prices higher as well. Let's not forget the significant layoffs ESPN has made in recent years to try and control their costs.
Dude.....donít think it is ESPN keeping customers from watching SEC games. Negotiate without punishing the customer!

Boarmonger

« Reply #157 on: September 13, 2019, 08:24:59 pm »

Folks, there are two sides to this issue.  Nexstar, ESPN, Disney, NBC all try to negotiate the highest rates for the right to carry their programming.  Those costs would get passed on to you if the AT&T, Comcast etc. did not force their hand.  The cable companies take all the heat because there's one game/show you want to watch that may not get shown.  Would you rather pay higher prices?  Thought not.

ImHogginIt

« Reply #158 on: September 13, 2019, 09:03:34 pm »

Folks, there are two sides to this issue.  Nexstar, ESPN, Disney, NBC all try to negotiate the highest rates for the right to carry their programming.  Those costs would get passed on to you if the AT&T, Comcast etc. did not force their hand.  The cable companies take all the heat because there's one game/show you want to watch that may not get shown.  Would you rather pay higher prices?  Thought not.

Exactly. My provider for the past 10 yrs has been AT&T. The amount I've paid has been damn near the same for 10 yrs between Uverse and Direct. I've never had issues with uverse and the only issue with Direct is thundrstorms. I'm 100% on the side of AT&T. Too bad Disney got themselves in so much debt in their contracts with Pro and college sports that they want to hold us hostage to pay for their mistakes. Frick them !

rhames

« Reply #159 on: September 13, 2019, 09:09:22 pm »

Exactly. My provider for the past 10 yrs has been AT&T. The amount I've paid has been damn near the same for 10 yrs between Uverse and Direct. I've never had issues with uverse and the only issue with Direct is thundrstorms. I'm 100% on the side of AT&T. Too bad Disney got themselves in so much debt in their contracts with Pro and college sports that they want to hold us hostage to pay for their mistakes. Frick them !

Do you realize how much espn is small potatoes to disney?

TexasHog

« Reply #160 on: September 13, 2019, 09:15:20 pm »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-warns-fans-that-directv-and-att-customers-may-not-be-able-to-watch-any-sec-games-this-weekend/amp/

They sure know how to piss me off! Time for a change.

The sports networks want more money as per usual.

If your cable company caves to the networks demands then your cable bill will increase.
If your cable company holds out for a more reasonable price then those channels may not be available until a deal is struck.

You'll blame the cable company either way even though the greedy networks are the ones responsible.

For those who don't understand what's going on https://www.techhive.com/article/3438316/dont-blame-att-and-directv-if-espn-gets-blacked-out.html
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 09:32:42 pm by TexasHog »

ImHogginIt

« Reply #161 on: September 13, 2019, 09:28:48 pm »

Do you realize how much espn is small potatoes to disney?

Yet they want to hold me hostage !!! ESPN is by FAR the most expensive group of channels. But it really is by far the best value for the money to me. We consumers deserve an ala carte menu of channels. I'm willing to pay three times a month more for my sports channels if I can lose about 150 other channels I don't watch.

rhames

« Reply #162 on: September 13, 2019, 09:32:24 pm »

Yet they want to hold me hostage !!! ESPN is by FAR the most expensive group of channels. But it really is by far the best value for the money to me. We consumers deserve an ala carte menu of channels. I'm willing to pay three times a month more for my sports channels if I can lose about 150 other channels I don't watch.

So you are ok with paying 3 times more with what you have now.

woo.pig

« Reply #163 on: September 13, 2019, 09:43:16 pm »

Disney is at it again. Wanting a ridiculous amount for their bundle of channels.

ImHogginIt

« Reply #164 on: September 13, 2019, 09:50:57 pm »

So you are ok with paying 3 times more with what you have now.
Your reading comprehension sucks. Go back and read what I wrote Einsten. I'm willing to pay more for my sports channels. Not my current overall costs

Espn costs each subcriber a little over $6 bucks per month. So if I could pay $18 a month for that and lose a crap load of channels I currently pay for and only pay for those I want then that would be perfect.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #165 on: September 13, 2019, 10:22:00 pm »

My Mother had AT&T U Verse and she needed a new piece of equipment.  I handled the matter for my mother, but the person I spoke with at AT&T said that it wouldn't arrive for 5 days.  I told the person it needed to be overnighted, so the person put a Supervisor on.  I told the Supervisor that it needed to be overnighted.   The Supervisor said he couldn't make that decision.  I then told the Supervisor that I would contact CEO Randall Stephenson.  I told the Supervisor that I would let Stephenson know that I am miffed that one of his Supervisors can't make a decision like that, and that was no way to do business.

That got the Supervisor's attention.  The piece of equipment arrived in 2 days.

Odd, standard protocol is next day and second day depending on location

j-mann

• Senior
« Reply #166 on: September 13, 2019, 10:23:19 pm »

I thought Jonesboro was the boonies?

some parts of jonesboro are but where i live in the middle of everything  i can go outside throw a rock and hit a popeys food smart hays   hardee's micky'd   and carter corner   

rhames

« Reply #167 on: September 14, 2019, 05:53:49 am »

Your reading comprehension sucks. Go back and read what I wrote Einsten. I'm willing to pay more for my sports channels. Not my current overall costs

Espn costs each subcriber a little over $6 bucks per month. So if I could pay $18 a month for that and lose a crap load of channels I currently pay for and only pay for those I want then that would be perfect.

Yikes. I definitely hit a nerve here.

I knew what you meant to say, but your vocabulary blurred the lines a bit. I also think in condridicts what you're crying about. Thats why I framed the question. I'll address that in this next paragraph.

It doesn't really make sense that you are angry ESPN wants to charge more money, yet you would pay them more money if you could. Three times as much I believe you posted. Yet you're kicking and screaming that ESPN is the bad guy here, but your real issue seems to be with direct TV because they make you pay for channels you don't watch.

And no one is holding you hostage on anything.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 02:04:39 pm by rhames »

McKdaddy

« Reply #168 on: September 14, 2019, 06:13:30 am »

Iíd pay more ó somebody, anybody more ó not to miss my cfb. Itís my 1 true love.

LRhawg926

• Senior
« Reply #169 on: September 14, 2019, 06:30:45 am »

I have Direct TV and it says I will have the game tomorrow... we'll see.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #170 on: September 14, 2019, 07:12:14 am »

All the cord cutters are going to eventually be paying what everyone on cable/sat pay now.

While streaming prices may go up they will not reach cable or satellite levels. Cable & satellite had big infrastructure to support, equipment, installers, local customer service & service techs in every city where they operated.  Also most cable companies have a monopoly in the cities where they operate. 

Another thing that helps keep streaming prices down is low barriers to switch. Most all you do is just go online & cancel & switch to the other guy. Itís immediate & virtually hassle free. Heck you can try out the new service immediately without cost side by side then decide. I have PSV tried Hulu free for a week to see if I liked it better. Thereís also open simple pricing to make it easy to compare across services.

So while I do think prices will go up they will not reach the level of cable or satellite

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #171 on: September 14, 2019, 07:15:35 am »

Iíd pay more ó somebody, anybody more ó not to miss my cfb. Itís my 1 true love.

Same here, makes my wife mad ha!!

Fan1958

• Hogvillian
  • The Little Red Hen was obviously a conservative.
« Reply #172 on: September 14, 2019, 09:14:19 am »

Well, as of 9:14 AM on September 14, 2019 the SEC Network is still airing on U-Verse.

HogFan219

« Reply #173 on: September 14, 2019, 09:19:26 am »

It's not too late to sign up for Hulu Live.......no contract........

This! I pay about $50/mo after a few add-ons. Itís a net increase of about $35 because we already subscribed to Huluís streaming service. I spent $75 to buy a really good outdoor antenna that I mounted on the J pole on my roof on which the satellite dish used to sit. Coax is already run to my TV outlets. We watch all of the local networks over the air for news and sports, and stream the sports networks for non-network games (ESPN networks, SEC, ACC, FS1, NBCS, CBS Sports, etc.).

PigPusher

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Just another day as a Hog!!!
« Reply #174 on: September 14, 2019, 09:30:01 am »

As someone that has Directv, sounds like to me they could have worked out deal way before now. They purposely waited until football season for leverage and basically using its customers as guinea pigs for their gain.

Sounds like a bit of a stretch here. Not based on facts.

HardCore

« Reply #175 on: September 14, 2019, 11:29:00 am »

As someone that has Directv, sounds like to me they could have worked out deal way before now. They purposely waited until football season for leverage and basically using its customers as guinea pigs for their gain.

Better for ESPN.  DirecTV is a bunch of Morons.  You donít negotiate contracts with ESPN during Football Season, gives them ALL the leverage.  Have the contract up for renewal in May....only thing going on then is the NBA.......and the NBA is so bad, itís unwatchable.

Darth Hogus

• Senior
  • Your muffins smell like crap ,and so do your ideas
« Reply #176 on: September 14, 2019, 11:50:04 am »

I sign in through DirecTV on the espn app and so far Iím having no issue watching anything

McKdaddy

« Reply #177 on: September 14, 2019, 12:16:17 pm »

U-verse good this weekend, it appears.

micali

« Reply #178 on: September 14, 2019, 03:27:34 pm »

Iím signed into the espn app and the Arkansas game is not on. ATT U-verse.
Edit: now its showing up to watch. Strange

The Space Age Hustler

• Band Nerd
« Reply #179 on: September 14, 2019, 03:55:48 pm »

Left ATT for YoutubeTV and love it.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #180 on: September 14, 2019, 04:01:21 pm »

The sports networks want more money as per usual.

If your cable company caves to the networks demands then your cable bill will increase.
If your cable company holds out for a more reasonable price then those channels may not be available until a deal is struck.

You'll blame the cable company either way even though the greedy networks are the ones responsible.

For those who don't understand what's going on https://www.techhive.com/article/3438316/dont-blame-att-and-directv-if-espn-gets-blacked-out.html

Yep.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #181 on: September 15, 2019, 11:36:06 am »

some parts of jonesboro are but where i live in the middle of everything  i can go outside throw a rock and hit a popeys food smart hays   hardee's micky'd   and carter corner   

But no liquor store............

rhames

jbcarol

« Reply #183 on: September 19, 2019, 12:04:23 pm »

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #184 on: September 19, 2019, 12:54:35 pm »

well the commercials have stopped.

rhames

« Reply #185 on: September 19, 2019, 01:30:42 pm »

If DTV is sold that might change this up.

Satellite tv is on the way out.

I see att selling to dish and dish putting all their eggs rural area market until high speed internet is more readily available.

People just have way too many options for their current business model to continue and ATT has stock holders they have to make happy.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #186 on: September 19, 2019, 02:54:39 pm »

Satellite tv is on the way out.

I see att selling to dish and dish putting all their eggs rural area market until high speed internet is more readily available.

People just have way too many options for their current business model to continue and ATT has stock holders they have to make happy.

Agree then ATT could focus more on internet service since with all the streaming bandwidth demands keep going up.  Could see the two dish companies merging as suggested in the article much like Sirius and XM did.  Would give them a better chance to compete.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #187 on: September 19, 2019, 03:09:10 pm »

At some point , no idea when, we will see 1 of 2 things happen:

1.  The content owners like Disney will start to charge much higher rates to carriers/streaming services like Hulu, etc. Thus raising the bills for all the cord cutters right back to what they were paying on cable/sat

2. Content owners like Disney will move all their programming to their own streaming services, so you will have to subscribe to each streaming service that is owned by the likes of Disney, Comcast, Etc.

Either way, all the cord cutters will eventually be paying a whole lot more than they are now. Just as those who switched from cable to Sat Tv paid much less early on, but soon enough prices caught up.

McKdaddy

« Reply #188 on: September 19, 2019, 03:38:12 pm »

Glad they've reached an agreement ďin principalĒ. An at&t client of mine mentioned this was reached Sunday, I believe he said, and I breathed a giant sigh of relief for all the games Iím looking forward to this Saturday.

rhames

« Reply #189 on: September 19, 2019, 07:13:18 pm »

At some point , no idea when, we will see 1 of 2 things happen:

1.  The content owners like Disney will start to charge much higher rates to carriers/streaming services like Hulu, etc. Thus raising the bills for all the cord cutters right back to what they were paying on cable/sat

2. Content owners like Disney will move all their programming to their own streaming services, so you will have to subscribe to each streaming service that is owned by the likes of Disney, Comcast, Etc.

Either way, all the cord cutters will eventually be paying a whole lot more than they are now. Just as those who switched from cable to Sat Tv paid much less early on, but soon enough prices caught up.

Well hulu is owned by Disney but change it to another provider you are probably right.

You're second point is what I believe will actually happen. It is actually already happening.

While the packages may be more once satellite is dead, it won't be crazy. Less overheard and cancel at anytime. .

What you will see is a house hold will have one streaming service for live tv. (Hulu, YouTube tv, etc) and will interchange between premium content (disney +, hbo max, netflix, etc)

I'm not sure we will ever get to just a stand alone ESPN package but anything is possible.

Ash

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #190 on: September 20, 2019, 08:02:02 am »

Actual attachment rates and viewership indicate that if only the people that actively want ESPN paid for ESPN it would cost around $40 a month. Just for ESPN.

Still want to take that deal?

ImHogginIt

« Reply #191 on: September 20, 2019, 08:14:55 am »

Actual attachment rates and viewership indicate that if only the people that actively want ESPN paid for ESPN it would cost around $40 a month. Just for ESPN.

Hey I was drinking when I was writing all that crap. My thinking was not right. My new goal in life is not to be on Hogville Friday or Saturday evenings  ;D

IceColdMintJulep

• Bench Warmer
  • It will feel better when it stops hurting
« Reply #192 on: September 20, 2019, 09:05:18 am »

The leverage of ESPN is that if people lose the sports, they will walk. If they take channel X away, they can go watch it online later. Who wants to watch a game after you already know the outcome (unless there is something cool that happened). I got DirectTV and it's not great, but it's convenient. It also works well when you have an ice storm that kills your power for two weeks; hook that up to the generator and life goes on.

SeldomHere

• My all-time favorite gender.
« Reply #193 on: September 20, 2019, 05:24:36 pm »

Guys there is a reason companies are quietly trying like hell to get out of the fiber infrastructure building business.

5g is going to rip it apart within 3 years.

The infrastructure will be cell towers (which are great investments if anyone wants to know.)

I am not so sure about this, I really want it to but real world applications in cities are starting to see problems. It will probably work in more rural areas better even though that seems contradictory.

This has potential to actually be disruptive for delivery, content package choice is a whole other matter and that makes people the most upset:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/4/18295310/amazon-project-kuiper-satellite-internet-low-earth-orbit-facebook-spacex-starlink

SeldomHere

« Reply #194 on: September 20, 2019, 06:59:31 pm »

This is simplified: Assume all ESPN channels.
Thought it would be more. So I would be paying $40 per Arkansas Football game per year 480.00 total (disregarding taxes and made up fees)  and then I get to watch everything else for free on ESPN. Times and expectations change, that was what pay per view was when it first started. If you like sports, this is not that unfair a price.

Or I could just choose YouTube for 54.00 dollars a month. It includes all the sports channels and nobody is forced to choose it. There are other viable choices, just the one I went with. When Cox, was the only choice, I was truly owned.

Now there are options for people to avoid ESPN and get what they want and save money. The major providers just refuse to give up the cash cow of bundles that force you to add tiers to get the one or two channels you want.

Choices have never been better, but price per channel may actually go up but you get to pick it and leave out the others.

This is better than when HBO first started and I got to sneak R films when I was 13, okay maybe not.

Boarmonger

« Reply #195 on: September 21, 2019, 11:44:06 am »

I am not so sure about this, I really want it to but real world applications in cities are starting to see problems. It will probably work in more rural areas better even though that seems contradictory.

This has potential to actually be disruptive for delivery, content package choice is a whole other matter and that makes people the most upset:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/4/18295310/amazon-project-kuiper-satellite-internet-low-earth-orbit-facebook-spacex-starlink

5G will work for very specific applications i.e. IoT and is much more a larger deal for Enterprise Business than the average individual  5G frequencies are much more directional and will have some penetration problems with respect to 4G.  5G is a huge deal but not in the way that the average person expects.

SeldomHere

« Reply #196 on: September 21, 2019, 11:49:56 am »

5G will work for very specific applications i.e. IoT and is much more a larger deal for Enterprise Business than the average individual  5G frequencies are much more directional and will have some penetration problems with respect to 4G.  5G is a huge deal but not in the way that the average person expects.

I agree. What do you think about the low orbit satellites?

Boarmonger

« Reply #197 on: September 21, 2019, 02:14:04 pm »

I agree. What do you think about the low orbit satellites?

there's no reason I know of why it won't work.  It depends on the frequencies chosen as to how well it works.  We already know we can send data in a large footprint from a satellite because we send video.  Frequencies are hard to come by because the good ones are all in use.  Maybe with the video business as it exists today starting to die, some frequencies that are in use today will become available that will make it viable in the future.

Grunt

• We put our best playuhs on deefense.
« Reply #198 on: September 21, 2019, 02:48:44 pm »

Since AT&T acquired DTV she has gone chitty. They try to sneak in movie channels you din order. Now the greedy bastards trying to muck over the market.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas