• 10,474,399 Posts
• 413,264 Topics
• 23,632 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jim Rome on Bobby Petrino TD club appearance  (Read 5272 times)

GoHogs1091

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
Re: Jim Rome on Bobby Petrino TD club appearance
« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2019, 07:35:57 pm »

Your continuing  to call him Robert is really tacky and ignorant and shows what a narcissist you are.

Robert is his name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Petrino

checkraiser88

« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2019, 07:36:52 pm »

People are so desperate to think the Bobby is what he once was. His last few years at Louisville(not his first few) were all I needed to see. He's washed up. There's no agenda here, he had a killer heisman QB and couldn't get over the hump, then his recruiting dipped, and his last season was just as good as our FIRST season under Morris. I don't see why people want him back.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

PorkSoda

« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2019, 07:43:02 pm »

People are so desperate to think the Bobby is what he once was. His last few years at Louisville(not his first few) were all I needed to see. He's washed up. There's no agenda here, he had a killer heisman QB and couldn't get over the hump, then his recruiting dipped, and his last season was just as good as our FIRST season under Morris. I don't see why people want him back.
Leave it to arkansas to try it though.

we should have hired Gus in 2007, but instead we tried to hire him in 2018.

now we are going to hire a washed up Petrino in 2020 because he was hot in 2010.

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #103 on: September 13, 2019, 07:50:45 pm »

now we are going to hire a washed up Petrino in 2020 because he was hot in 2010.

There is no way we could hire anyone better. Get him cheap, since we will now be paying tons for CCM's incompetence. The dude made Casey Dick a very legit QB. He can win with inferior talent, which is what we need at Arkansas. Even when we have recruiting "guru" like CCM, we still recruit dead last in our division. We will not out recruit the SEC W. Must out coach.

As for UL 2.0, he won 8+ games 4 of 5 years at Louisville. He had one bad season. He's not washed up - he's been successful everywhere he's been. We can't hire him due to the history and off the field stuff - but certainly not due to his coaching ability.

grayhawg

« Reply #104 on: September 13, 2019, 07:50:47 pm »

I probably would have been for hiring Gus in 2007, he played us for a raise in 2018 and not interested any more. And he would never have the success here he has at Auburn unless we hire the bagmen they have.

SugarHillGaHog

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #105 on: September 13, 2019, 07:52:12 pm »

I haven't listened to Rome since 2003. I forgot the guy was still around. Do people still listen to his show? If this was Colin Cowherd, Dan Patrick, Golic and Wingo or even Stephen A Smith it would bring more weight. Jim Rome? That '90s relic? Might as well say Opie and Anthony.

I actually find Stephen A. Smith more annoying.  About the only time I can't avoid him is one guy always tunes the tv in the break room to him when he takes his lunch.  I don't think he likes him either it's just whats on sports related.

checkraiser88

« Reply #106 on: September 13, 2019, 07:57:13 pm »

There is no way we could hire anyone better. Get him cheap, since we will now be paying tons for CCM's incompetence. The dude made Casey Dick a very legit QB. He can win with inferior talent, which is what we need at Arkansas. Even when we have recruiting "guru" like CCM, we still recruit dead last in our division. We will not out recruit the SEC W. Must out coach.

As for UL 2.0, he won 8+ games 4 of 5 years at Louisville. He had one bad season. He's not washed up - he's been successful everywhere he's been. We can't hire him due to the history and off the field stuff - but certainly not due to his coaching ability.

Yeah, there's nobody better besides Petrino if Morris doesn't work out, I mean nobody, not even a Norvell or any of the other FBS coaches.

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #107 on: September 13, 2019, 07:59:28 pm »

Yeah, there's nobody better besides Petrino if Morris doesn't work out, I mean nobody, not even a Norvell or any of the other FBS coaches.

If you think Mike Norvell is better than Petrino then you're entitled to that opinion. I certainly do not agree.

Mike Leach and Chris Peterson aren't coming to Arkansas - not sure who we could get that could do better here.

checkraiser88

« Reply #108 on: September 13, 2019, 08:02:16 pm »

If you think Mike Norvell is better than Petrino then you're entitled to that opinion. I certainly do not agree.

Mike Leach and Chris Peterson aren't coming to Arkansas - not sure who we could get that could do better here.

If you think ignoring what he did at Western Kentucky and Louisville makes ya feel better about Petrino, then go ahead. Actually, go look at last years squad and their recruiting class. Go look at all the preseason mags during Lamar Jackson years saying Louisville was a contender and what was his ceiling with him? Yes, I'll go with a less washed up coach if Morris doesn't work out.

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #109 on: September 13, 2019, 08:09:00 pm »

If you think ignoring what he did at Western Kentucky and Louisville makes ya feel better about Petrino, then go ahead. Actually, go look at last years squad and their recruiting class. Go look at all the preseason mags saying Louisville was a contender with Lamar Jackson and what was his ceiling with him? Yes, I'll go with a less washed up coach if Morris doesn't work out.

He did great at WKU and UL in my book. 8+ wins 100% of the years at WKU (1/1) and 4 of 5 years at UL.

In fact, WKU year might even be most impressive. Dude beat an SEC team, both service academies, and won a bowl game over a solid ASU team. In one year with WKU's roster he did what CCM has yet to do his entire coaching career.

SRV

« Reply #110 on: September 13, 2019, 08:14:10 pm »

Rome is a prick and his article is as ignorant as he is. It reads like a high school kid wrote it. I wish Jim Everett would have pummeled that dude. Talk about missed opportunities. He and Calipari are good buds...nuff said!

Whether you appreciate the Petrino apology or not the guy stepped up and finally did the right thing publicly. He earned his firing when he lied to his boss, but also earned my respect with his public apology. Wish the guy well.
Spot on. I had no idea Jim Rome still had a show.

GlassofSwine

« Reply #111 on: September 13, 2019, 08:18:34 pm »

He did great at WKU and UL in my book. 8+ wins 100% of the years at WKU (1/1) and 4 of 5 years at UL.

In fact, WKU year might even be most impressive. Dude beat an SEC team, both service academies, and won a bowl game over a solid ASU team. In one year with WKU's roster he did what CCM has yet to do his entire coaching career.

He inherited a team from Charlie Strong that went 11-2 and won the Sugar Bowl. With a Heisman winner he couldn't get past 9 wins and his recruiting fell off a cliff. In Year 5  he was winless in conference and got blown out my the likes of Wake Forest. There is a reason no one is knocking down doors to hire Petrino.

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #112 on: September 13, 2019, 08:37:59 pm »

He inherited a team from Charlie Strong that went 11-2 and won the Sugar Bowl. With a Heisman winner he couldn't get past 9 wins and his recruiting fell off a cliff. In Year 5  he was winless in conference and got blown out my the likes of Wake Forest. There is a reason no one is knocking down doors to hire Petrino.

Again, he had one bad year.

You talk about his 1st year...in his 3rd game at UL he had one bad (2 point loss) to Virginia. His other losses that year were Clemson, #2 FSU, and #13 UGA in a bowl. I don't have any issues with that.
Second year he lost to #6 Auburn, Houston (finished top 8 with Peach Bowl win), #11 Clemson, #2 FSU, and one bad loss to Pitt. He beat UK and TAMU to close the year.
Heisman year he beat #2 FSU, lost to #5 Clemson (lost to Bama in national Championship), Houston (Herman's second year - 9-4), one bad upset loss to UK, and #19 LSU in the Capital One bowl.
Fourth year he lost to #3 Clemson, #24 NC State, bad losses to BC and WF, and bowl loss to #24 MSU.
Fifth year was horrible as already discussed.

Seeing as, short of Dabo, ACC schools really don't beat the top SEC schools, I really don't have much problem with this resume. Moreover, I'll give you that while Lamar was a Heisman winner, CBP has never been one to be an expert with he mobile QB. That's not his offense. Gus, and maybe even CCM, probably could have done more with Lamar. Starkel would throw for 400 a game with CBP, however.

ChitownHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Be Hawgin it since 1960
« Reply #113 on: September 13, 2019, 09:10:34 pm »

If you think ignoring what he did at Western Kentucky and Louisville makes ya feel better about Petrino, then go ahead. Actually, go look at last years squad and their recruiting class. Go look at all the preseason mags during Lamar Jackson years saying Louisville was a contender and what was his ceiling with him? Yes, I'll go with a less washed up coach if Morris doesn't work out.

Very good points.

Dillar Dog

« Reply #114 on: September 13, 2019, 09:19:53 pm »

You talk about his 1st year...in his 3rd game at UL he had one bad (2 point loss) to Virginia. His other losses that year were Clemson, #2 FSU, and #13 UGA in a bowl. I don't have any issues with that.
Second year he lost to #6 Auburn, Houston (finished top 8 with Peach Bowl win), #11 Clemson, #2 FSU, and one bad loss to Pitt. He beat UK and TAMU to close the year.
Heisman year he beat #2 FSU, lost to #5 Clemson (lost to Bama in national Championship), Houston (Herman's second year - 9-4), one bad upset loss to UK, and #19 LSU in the Capital One bowl.
Fourth year he lost to #3 Clemson, #24 NC State, bad losses to BC and WF, and bowl loss to #24 MSU.

Seeing as, short of Dabo, ACC schools really don't beat the top SEC schools, I really don't have much problem with this resume. Moreover, I'll give you that while Lamar was a Heisman winner, CBP has never been one to be an expert with he mobile QB. That's not his offense. Gus, and maybe even CCM, probably could have done more with Lamar. Starkel would throw for 400 a game with CBP, however.

Why do you think he's unemployed?

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

• Come to the Dark Side
« Reply #115 on: September 16, 2019, 10:56:22 am »

Working on memory here so I could be wrong.  That bad loss to Pitt might not have been that bad.  I was in Pittsburgh for a Steeler game and we watched Pitt beat a very good Clemson team.  We were in a Bar in Da Burgh watching it.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

• Come to the Dark Side
« Reply #116 on: September 16, 2019, 11:02:06 am »

Okay so I had to look it up.  Pitt knocked off then #3 and eventual national Champ Clemson, and then ranked number 7 Penn ST.

Athog

« Reply #117 on: September 16, 2019, 02:21:19 pm »

Wow, and some people worry about  CCM hurting our brand, lol.

He continues to make us look like fools or do we do it to ourselves!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas