• 10,567,368 Posts
• 416,031 Topics
• 23,901 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Party line "needed a spark"  (Read 1254 times)

runninrazorback

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Party line "needed a spark"
« on: September 10, 2019, 10:18:03 am »

Man I've seen it heard it or read it like 150 times in 3 days.

CPO Hog

• Senior
Re: Party line "needed a spark"
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 10:29:25 am »

Whoever said it first misspoke - "Needed a Stark"

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

greenEGnHAWGS

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Another day in HV Paradise...
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 10:37:06 am »

Thank goodness...I was worried there wasn’t going to be something new to be unhappy about. Thanks for coming through, runnin...

CoastalHawg

• Varsity
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 10:40:50 am »

Man I've seen it heard it or read it like 150 times in 3 days.
Would it have killed CM or JC to say Starkel earned his shot? Holy crap these two are the most negative coaches I’ve ever seen in pressers. JC it’s “his turn”... this isn’t kindergarten, the guy is clearly more effective. Seriously Chavis is the only coach we have that is mature enough to be in front of the media.

Memhogs

• Varsity
  • What time does Arkansas play?
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 10:57:00 am »

New name: Nick Sparkel

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm very disappointed...unacceptable- Chadwick
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 11:03:26 am »

You win

However, if by spark they men that he had a greater sense of urgency and quite a bit more zap on his passes, then yes... I guess that could be considered a spark. Even when he made mistakes it didn't seem to be as timid as Hicks.

and that's not a dig on Hicks.

greenEGnHAWGS

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 11:06:19 am »

Would it have killed CM or JC to say Starkel earned his shot? Holy crap these two are the most negative coaches I’ve ever seen in pressers. JC it’s “his turn”... this isn’t kindergarten, the guy is clearly more effective. Seriously Chavis is the only coach we have that is mature enough to be in front of the media.

He DID. You’re just too bias to see it. So instead, you’re picking and choosing what he says to fit your narrative.

THIS is what he said...

“It’s what Nick did. We were looking for a spark, something to get our offense moving, create some momentum, create some yards, give an opportunity for some big plays. That was our decision going into it and Nick will be our starter.”

He later explained that he used the term “create a spark” because Hicks didn’t throw interceptions. He didn’t make major mistakes. What he did NOT do...was create “explosive” plays. And THAT is what Starkel WAS able to do. Create “explosive” plays.

We get it. Many of y’all HATE CCM, but step away from the keyboard sometimes and realize that not EVERYTHING that CCM does/says/thanks is wrong.

The Hogfather

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I Love Lamp
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 11:08:06 am »

hogfansince79

• Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 11:08:27 am »

LOL... you do realize that you're bitching about HOW the coaches announced that Starkel is going to start Saturday.

anonymous_bosch

• Bench Warmer
  • I like turtles
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 11:08:53 am »

The more I hear CCM talk, the more he sounds like a sleazy used car salesman to me.

WhenPigsFly

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 11:10:39 am »

Stark the Spark

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 11:21:33 am »

He DID. You’re just too bias to see it. So instead, you’re picking and choosing what he says to fit your narrative.

THIS is what he said...

“It’s what Nick did. We were looking for a spark, something to get our offense moving, create some momentum, create some yards, give an opportunity for some big plays. That was our decision going into it and Nick will be our starter.”

He later explained that he used the term “create a spark” because Hicks didn’t throw interceptions. He didn’t make major mistakes. What he did NOT do...was create “explosive” plays. And THAT is what Starkel WAS able to do. Create “explosive” plays.

We get it. Many of y’all HATE CCM, but step away from the keyboard sometimes and realize that not EVERYTHING that CCM does/says/thanks is wrong.

This narrative didn't actually describe reality.

Ben Hicks was 7-16 for a 44% completion percentage.

Starkel was 17-24 for a 70% competion percentage.

There could be a hundred different reasons they had a different success level in the same game against the same defense. But to put it all up to Nick "providing a spark" doesn't really tell the whole story. Just like saying that Hicks only throwing for 43% was entirely his fault doesn't tell the whole story.

CoastalHawg

• Varsity
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 11:25:31 am »

THIS is what he said...

After media pried it out of him. I watched the whole presser. 

greenEGnHAWGS

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 11:26:56 am »

This narrative didn't actually describe reality.

Ben Hicks was 7-16 for a 44% completion percentage.

Starkel was 17-24 for a 70% competion percentage.

There could be a hundred different reasons they had a different success level in the same game against the same defense. But to put it all up to Nick "providing a spark" doesn't really tell the whole story. Just like saying that Hicks only throwing for 43% was entirely his fault doesn't tell the whole story.

I’m honestly not sure what you’re getting at. You’re  saying that Starkel coming in to “provide a spark” isn’t the whole story...yet Hicks “sucks from those numbers and deserves to be benched” also doesn’t tell the whole story.

I literally feel as though you’re proving my point. Starkel came in and moved the offense...he did what CCM said. He provided an “explosiveness” to the offense that Hicks did not provide. Hicks has bad numbers...but they were certainly not ALL his fault. Drop passes alone would have changed things substantially for him. More catches would lead to more first down would’ve led to more opportunities to score.

Unless you’re just trying agree with me in an odd way, I’m not sure what you’re getting at.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 11:36:41 am »

I’m honestly not sure what you’re getting at. You’re  saying that Starkel coming in to “provide a spark” isn’t the whole story...yet Hicks “sucks from those numbers and deserves to be benched” also doesn’t tell the whole story.

I literally feel as though you’re proving my point. Starkel came in and moved the offense...he did what CCM said. He provided an “explosiveness” to the offense that Hicks did not provide. Hicks has bad numbers...but they were certainly not ALL his fault. Drop passes alone would have changed things substantially for him. More catches would lead to more first down would’ve led to more opportunities to score.

Unless you’re just trying agree with me in an odd way, I’m not sure what you’re getting at.

Not sure where I said that Hicks sucked. His numbers weren't very good. some of that is poor protection and getting hurried, some of it was drops from receivers, some of it was bad passes, and some of them were a combination of two or three of those.

For whatever reason, better pass protections, receivers getting their forward assist tapped at halftime, Starkel getting rid of the ball quicker, snap getting to the quarterback faster, and Starkel having just more zip and aim on the ball and receivers actually catching them could have had something to do with the 2nd half.

I'm not agreeing with either one of you.

What I'm trying to say is that Starkel was more efficient against Ole Miss for some combination of reasons, and spark has literally nothing to do with it.

runninrazorback

• Varsity
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2019, 11:39:27 am »

Thank goodness...I was worried there wasn’t going to be something new to be unhappy about. Thanks for coming through, runnin...
Do you like the way they are handling it?  I guess it's being kids gloves with Ben in case we need him later this year. 

runninrazorback

• Varsity
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2019, 11:41:23 am »

THIS is what he said...

I don't hate him, I think recruiting East Texas is how this team gets rebuilt.  I just got sick of hearing the word Spark the last two days.  Sorry that hurt your feelings.

greenEGnHAWGS

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2019, 11:42:13 am »

Not sure where I said that Hicks sucked. His numbers weren't very good. some of that is poor protection and getting hurried, some of it was drops from receivers, some of it was bad passes, and some of them were a combination of two or three of those.

For whatever reason, better pass protections, receivers getting their forward assist tapped at halftime, Starkel getting rid of the ball quicker, snap getting to the quarterback faster, and Starkel having just more zip and aim on the ball and receivers actually catching them could have had something to do with the 2nd half.

I'm not agreeing with either one of you.

What I'm trying to say is that Starkel was more efficient against Ole Miss for some combination of reasons, and spark has literally nothing to do with it.

Hmmm...I’m thinking that we just have a different concept of what “spark” means. To me...when I hear “someone provided a spark” it means, “for whatever reason, the offense was not moving...but now it is”. “Spark” is used because there is no definite answer to what caused it. It was a culmination of 100 different things...but he was able to create some more explosive plays.

When you say “spark”, I’m not sure what you are defining it as.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2019, 11:46:02 am »

Hmmm...I’m thinking that we just have a different concept of what “spark” means. To me...when I hear “someone provided a spark” it means, “for whatever reason, the offense was not moving...but now it is”. “Spark” is used because there is no definite answer to what caused it. It was a culmination of 100 different things...but he was able to create some more explosive plays.

When you say “spark”, I’m not sure what you are defining it as.

A spark is something that can't be accredited to something else.

Therefore a spark I suppose is an unspecified intangible.

HogsonHicks

• Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2019, 12:12:39 pm »

Let’s hope the spark isn’t used to ignite the dumpster.

Next1_04

• Senior
  • I come with Links
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2019, 12:52:58 pm »

The more I hear CCM talk, the more he sounds like a sleazy used car salesman to me.

Neat

HoggHead

• Band Nerd
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2019, 12:56:02 pm »

Has anyone else noticed the lame "Everybody got me" line CCM uses to start each PC??

Oda Hamunaga

• Senior
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2019, 01:01:11 pm »

They will pull him on sat as soon as they think we need another spark. These coaches are killing me

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2019, 01:04:25 pm »

They will pull him on sat as soon as they think we need another spark. These coaches are killing me

a little similar to the Mustain/Dick thingy

greenEGnHAWGS

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2019, 01:40:24 pm »

They’ll also do that other thing that hasn’t even happened...oh man...it drives me crazy.

Crazy how people are now raging over things he hasn’t even done...

greenEGnHAWGS

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2019, 01:45:37 pm »

I don't hate him, I think recruiting East Texas is how this team gets rebuilt.  I just got sick of hearing the word Spark the last two days.  Sorry that hurt your feelings.

Well when our QBs are discussed non-stop for months, and a change was JUST made in order to “create a spark”...the term will have a tendency to be used quite a bit...

ifghog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2019, 01:53:08 pm »

THIS is what he said...

Probably a liberal...he likes fake news.

Hawgphat

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2019, 02:04:57 pm »

I really don't care much about "who said what" or "how it was stated".  I evaluate the product and the execution I see transpiring on the field.  I am by no means an authority on strategic football schematics; - - but I trust what my eyes see a HECKUVA lot more than what my ears hear in relation to football efficiency.

I'm not demeaning either the players or the coaches; - - - but what happens on the field - - and on the sidelines - - is what speaks volumes to me.  As far as I'm concerned, the rest of the narrative is just window dressing (and most houses have several windows, - -  with differing view perspectives and vistas one from another).

runninrazorback

• Varsity
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2019, 02:07:49 pm »

Well when our QBs are discussed non-stop for months, and a change was JUST made in order to “create a spark”...the term will have a tendency to be used quite a bit...

OK

Sparky.

Sivad

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2019, 02:17:54 pm »

Has anyone else noticed the lame "Everybody got me" line CCM uses to start each PC??
Yes. “Every” time, then he takes a big gulp and proceeds to his first “and umm”.

Oda Hamunaga

• Senior
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2019, 02:29:18 pm »

They’ll also do that other thing that hasn’t even happened...oh man...it drives me crazy.

Crazy how people are now raging over things he hasn’t even done...

Raging?

Lol... I have not raged over football in a while man.

Prepping you people. History repeats. It’s not like I’m just making this up.

Bacons Rebellion

• Pig puns are so boaring.
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2019, 06:26:03 am »

Whoever said it first misspoke - "Needed a Stark"

Nice pun, but my very first thought was "We need to get our head cut off and massacred at a wedding? Is it that bad?"

PorkMeRunnin

• Band Nerd
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2019, 06:48:42 am »

After he shreds CSU I want Starkle in full Walter White mode at the podium, "I am the one who sparks!" Seriously, some of yall need to lighten up or maybe spark up and relax. It's just football!

010HogFan

• "Wait Till Next Year!"
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2019, 08:49:24 am »

This is a reach. He's just making sure all the media people are able to hear him.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas