• 10,952,263 Posts
• 425,619 Topics
• 24,869 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stadium Experience Must Be Fixed  (Read 9468 times)

Superhog1959

Re: Stadium Experience Must Be Fixed
« Reply #150 on: September 02, 2019, 01:06:02 pm »

Just my opinion for what its worth,(not much). I would be ok with some music on a time out, halftime, before or after the game. Not during the game. More football, less music.

ricepig

« Reply #151 on: September 02, 2019, 01:07:20 pm »

Just my opinion for what its worth,(not much). I would be ok with some music on a time out, halftime, before or after the game. Not during the game. More football, less music.

Yeah, I donít see any need for music when we have the ball and the clock is running.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #152 on: September 02, 2019, 01:20:53 pm »

The music is fine, it could probably be down a touch, but it really doesnít matter that much to me, I donít pay attention to it, truthfully. The band has a limited play list for crowd pumping, LSU, OU, and a few others have little snippets they play between plays. We have the Fight Song, which is too long, I donít know what else for them to play to pump up the crowd for 10-15 seconds, when possible.
Age but on the snippet. They did have a very short version of the fight song and a one round Pig Sooie at one time for first downs. Even f they don't use it anymore then with all the music majors they have I'm sure they could compose something.

ricepig

« Reply #153 on: September 02, 2019, 01:23:30 pm »

Age but on the snippet. They did have a very short version of the fight song and a one round Pig Sooie at one time for first downs. Even f they don't use it anymore then with all the music majors they have I'm sure they could compose something.

Well, they need to bring it back! That seems familiar, but itís been awhile.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #154 on: September 02, 2019, 01:23:30 pm »

Yeah, I donít see any need for music when we have the ball and the clock is running.

It makes no sense to do it. A couple of times they didn't stop the music quick enough either to hear the Ref when they reviewed a play and he was explaining it after the review.

Superhog1959

« Reply #155 on: September 02, 2019, 01:24:41 pm »

Seems like a fair compromise. If it affects the fans, It could affect the players and coaches also. Causing miscommunication. Kind of like the end of the first half at the PS game. ?

UnknownNobody

« Reply #156 on: September 02, 2019, 01:27:12 pm »

We have always Called the Hogs at the beginning of games but didnít we do a

Wooo...ooo...ooo...ooo Pig Sooie! call during the game?

ricepig

« Reply #157 on: September 02, 2019, 01:31:58 pm »

We have always Called the Hogs at the beginning of games but didnít we do a

Wooo...ooo...ooo...ooo Pig Sooie! call during the game?
We called the Hogs a few times during the game.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #158 on: September 02, 2019, 01:36:41 pm »

We called the Hogs a few times during the game.

It is something that can be intimidating and I think we should do more often.

ricepig

« Reply #159 on: September 02, 2019, 01:44:55 pm »

It is something that can be intimidating and I think we should do more often.
Yeah, I agree.

BroyledNutts

« Reply #160 on: September 02, 2019, 02:05:52 pm »

They could use .....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etPJYZfi1QQ
or and abbreviated version of ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMuMmc0JPIc
or even ....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nC8jIwig1g
they could shorten .....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rIeMx9zDlk
They could cut down ....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSWz4zwZIUI
Or excerpts from ... (particularly from the 1:25 mark)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEVTq0QFUWI

I'm a nobody, and I was able to find examples of things the band could be playing for first downs, 3rd downs, defensive stands, and offensive drives.
It's not for a lack of material to work with ...
It's a lack of interest on the band director's part (a lot of the fault lands right here), the admin's part (another big chunk of fault lands right here), the stadium audio's part, etc.
The material is there - it's the interest and the will to do the work to compose snippet in-game music (and play it), and the will to make the band a featured part of the game experience that's the issue.
Create the material to keep the students and fans interested and participating, place the band where the whole stadium can hear it and mic them, find the canned music volume and hit mute during the games, and you'll have a college football atmosphere, instead of an outdoor NBA game.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 02:41:59 pm by BroyledNutts »

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #161 on: September 02, 2019, 02:27:43 pm »

Yeah, I agree.

Itís only intimidating when itís a thunderous roar. Itís only a thunderous roar under the right conditions. It was surprisingly good Saturday given the conditions.

ricepig

« Reply #162 on: September 02, 2019, 02:31:51 pm »

Itís only intimidating when itís a thunderous roar. Itís only a thunderous roar under the right conditions. It was surprisingly good Saturday given the conditions.

No doubt. When the regionals and Superís were in Baum this year, thereís no doubt the Hog call was effective in messing with the opposition. Thereís no commercial when the opposing manager comes out to make a pitching change, or even a mound visit, but the excitement of playoff atmosphere added to the 10,000+ there to amp it up even more.

orvillesghost

« Reply #163 on: September 02, 2019, 02:36:19 pm »

The game experience was a helluva lot better in the 60s and 70s I can tell you that.

Of course the team was too...

johnfanman

« Reply #164 on: September 02, 2019, 03:04:47 pm »

Matching expectations for an SEC team would do wonders for the GameDay experience. Sliding by a "schedule-filler" is not going to get people excited.

factchecker

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #165 on: September 02, 2019, 03:20:31 pm »

No doubt. When the regionals and Superís were in Baum this year, thereís no doubt the Hog call was effective in messing with the opposition. Thereís no commercial when the opposing manager comes out to make a pitching change, or even a mound visit, but the excitement of playoff atmosphere added to the 10,000+ there to amp it up even more.
hogville couldn't handle Baum Walker and what they would consider "lame" traditions, seamless promos/sponsorships, and other going-ons ......

Hank Williams' Hog Wild as an intro - walk up songs which include rap (gasp!) - Baby Shark and Baby Einstein played at times to get the kids involved - Wooing the opposition - Lion King music played when the opposition walks in a run - a snippet of The Banana Boat Song (Day-O) when a pitcher continues to throw the ball to first - chants and cheers that would be considered corny - Whataburger Fry Shuffle or match game (once again usually to get kids involved) - Dinger Derby (another kid friendly event) - beer hats - the chicken dance - take me out to the ball game - This Is Baseball!!!!!

AND most importantly fans who like to call the Hogs and cheer on the team instead of trash them.  We have an occasional fan who go after DVH and the players but they don't last long.  see the following -

https://twitter.com/RushJohnNabors/status/1134988555414114304

All of those things would be considered lame by the expert crowd analyzers who NEVER go to games.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #166 on: September 02, 2019, 03:35:36 pm »

Optimum conditions, like Kentucky in Bud Walton in 1995 or Alabama in RRS in 2010. Nothing like it. We grew up with it. The Hog call is imprinted on many souls.

Pennywise

« Reply #167 on: September 02, 2019, 06:25:32 pm »

hogville couldn't handle Baum Walker and what they would consider "lame" traditions, seamless promos/sponsorships, and other going-ons ......

Hank Williams' Hog Wild as an intro - walk up songs which include rap (gasp!) - Baby Shark and Baby Einstein played at times to get the kids involved - Wooing the opposition - Lion King music played when the opposition walks in a run - a snippet of The Banana Boat Song (Day-O) when a pitcher continues to throw the ball to first - chants and cheers that would be considered corny - Whataburger Fry Shuffle or match game (once again usually to get kids involved) - Dinger Derby (another kid friendly event) - beer hats - the chicken dance - take me out to the ball game - This Is Baseball!!!!!

AND most importantly fans who like to call the Hogs and cheer on the team instead of trash them.  We have an occasional fan who go after DVH and the players but they don't last long.  see the following -

https://twitter.com/RushJohnNabors/status/1134988555414114304

All of those things would be considered lame by the expert crowd analyzers who NEVER go to games.

K.

Pennywise

« Reply #168 on: September 02, 2019, 06:26:24 pm »

More hog call and less rap. I agree that would be very intimidating.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #169 on: September 02, 2019, 10:02:05 pm »

the Fayetteville games have always been a little sterile. Nothing new here

It would take too long but I bet I could list more electric games than sterile ones.

Craig O Squeal

« Reply #170 on: September 03, 2019, 11:29:46 am »

To me, this is like a church. 80-90% of the giving and money that flows comes from the elders. The church wants to attract new, younger members so they change how church is delivered. The majority of these new members give little to no money (not a condemnation, it's just that these folks are at a different stage in life and money is allocated differently). But it's hard to get young folks because they expect their experience to be catered to them. The elders of the church hate it. And pretty soon, the younger folks just move on to a newer church that is hip and caters to them. This is similar to what I see here with this debate. The majority of the older fans give the bulk of the money to the program, so there are certain expectations of what the gameday experience should be like. It's not the younger folks' fault...it's just what they've become conditioned to: that they deserve to be entertained, that they deserve this, they deserve that. It's a microwave, ADHD society who is more concerned with a duck-faced selfie, updating their social media feeds, and being dressed like an Abercrombie ad. It's more about acting out a Corona ad than it is about raising hell on an opponent and willing your team on to victory. It's a "me first" age, and you even see it with the players/recruits. I played college football, but I never, NEVER, thought about my own hype video or how I would announce my college "top 10" list or where I planned to attend, or ask that everyone" please respect my decision." I talked about it with my family, told the college, and moved on. Again, it's not this age group's fault...the media and society creates this. Everything is about creating viral content, likes and shares...and that goes from the young players to the new age of "fans" that is being created. It's becoming more about a block party that has a football game going on in the background for ambiance than it is going to a football game to watch your team slaughter the other. Heck, maybe it even is coming from a place of our younger generations not keeping score and just playing so everyone can win. The more I type, the more I relate to Gran Torino, and I'm only 44. :)

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #171 on: September 03, 2019, 11:35:48 am »

Really good post, Craig

Hogdomer

« Reply #172 on: September 03, 2019, 11:51:09 am »

I heard about that. All things change, some for the worse.

Football in a stadium is no longer about the game itself. No, the driving force is trying to create an ďentertainmentĒ vibe. Letís play as much canned music as often as possible, as loud as possible. Letís feature fans around the stadium acting goofy as much as we can. Letís do as many things as we possibly can to take the focus off the actual game.

Yet still, people hit the door at halftime.

They added a video board but that's it.  Gameday there is unmatched. 

Interesting point on the ushers too.  I was there with one of my kids for freshman drop off last week.  They had a dinner for the new families in the stadium.  Everyone was sitting in the stands eating with the ushers standing on the field near the stands.  One little kid approached him tentatively, it was obvious he wanted to go on the field.  The usher smiled and invited him on the field and soon everyone there was on the field running routes and taking pictures.  The ushers couldn't have been more accommodating.

Pennywise

« Reply #173 on: September 03, 2019, 02:26:37 pm »

To me, this is like a church. 80-90% of the giving and money that flows comes from the elders. The church wants to attract new, younger members so they change how church is delivered. The majority of these new members give little to no money (not a condemnation, it's just that these folks are at a different stage in life and money is allocated differently). But it's hard to get young folks because they expect their experience to be catered to them. The elders of the church hate it. And pretty soon, the younger folks just move on to a newer church that is hip and caters to them. This is similar to what I see here with this debate. The majority of the older fans give the bulk of the money to the program, so there are certain expectations of what the gameday experience should be like. It's not the younger folks' fault...it's just what they've become conditioned to: that they deserve to be entertained, that they deserve this, they deserve that. It's a microwave, ADHD society who is more concerned with a duck-faced selfie, updating their social media feeds, and being dressed like an Abercrombie ad. It's more about acting out a Corona ad than it is about raising hell on an opponent and willing your team on to victory. It's a "me first" age, and you even see it with the players/recruits. I played college football, but I never, NEVER, thought about my own hype video or how I would announce my college "top 10" list or where I planned to attend, or ask that everyone" please respect my decision." I talked about it with my family, told the college, and moved on. Again, it's not this age group's fault...the media and society creates this. Everything is about creating viral content, likes and shares...and that goes from the young players to the new age of "fans" that is being created. It's becoming more about a block party that has a football game going on in the background for ambiance than it is going to a football game to watch your team slaughter the other. Heck, maybe it even is coming from a place of our younger generations not keeping score and just playing so everyone can win. The more I type, the more I relate to Gran Torino, and I'm only 44. :)

Amazing. Great post.

ArkansasI

« Reply #174 on: September 03, 2019, 02:57:42 pm »

Excellent post.  Spot on.

So, short of winning (which we have NO control over), how do we bring Razorback Nation back to the stadium?  We can't just let this thing die...

I hope we stop looking at what others are doing and be our own program.  It is very Arkansan for Razorback fans to set trends as opposed to follow them.

Maybe it's time we stop pacifying the younger generation and do them the favor of unprogramming their need for constant stimulation.  Don't worry about them getting bored... everyone has cell phones today.  These folks can and will stay connected in the stadium if they must.

Let's cater instead to the die hards.  It's pretty clear that those folks are football fans.  By returning the focus to the field, perhaps the die hards won't feel driven from the stadium anymore.  Let the band play during game action and let advertisements be put on signs hung throughout the stadium or have product logos run across the stadium ticker.  As a consumer, I'll be more likely to invest in either of those ads than in some audio interruption that I am forced to listen to.

Compare the Razorback Stadium experience to what we've seen in professional golf during the same time period.  Let's call the current Razorback Stadium experience the "Phoenix Open".  And let's call the Razorback Stadium of years' past the "Masters".  Ignoring the inherent prejudices of the names, I believe the comparison is quite fair.

There is nothing wrong with the Phoenix Open...  It's fun so long as the weather holds, and there are plenty of good shots to cheer (or jeer).  People who aren't fans of golf will go to be part of the crowd and the party.  I'm not too sure that Phoenix Open patrons want to go time and again, but some may and I suspect most enjoy the event.

The Masters is a celebration of golf, worthy of attendance in any climate.  Virtually free from unnecessary advertisement, attending is affordable and memorable.  But this is a tough ticket.  It is an experience with friends and family to cherish a lifetime, and worthy of repetition.

I hope we do us all a favor...  Let the deprogramming begin.

GO HOGS!

ricepig

« Reply #175 on: September 03, 2019, 03:17:00 pm »

So, short of winning (which we have NO control over), how do we bring Razorback Nation back to the stadium?  We can't just let this thing die...

I hope we stop looking at what others are doing and be our own program.  It is very Arkansan for Razorback fans to set trends as opposed to follow them.

Maybe it's time we stop pacifying the younger generation and do them the favor of unprogramming their need for constant stimulation.  Don't worry about them getting bored... everyone has cell phones today.  These folks can and will stay connected in the stadium if they must.

Let's cater instead to the die hards.  It's pretty clear that those folks are football fans.  By returning the focus to the field, perhaps the die hards won't feel driven from the stadium anymore.  Let the band play during game action and let advertisements be put on signs hung throughout the stadium or have product logos run across the stadium ticker.  As a consumer, I'll be more likely to invest in either of those ads than in some audio interruption that I am forced to listen to.

Compare the Razorback Stadium experience to what we've seen in professional golf during the same time period.  Let's call the current Razorback Stadium experience the "Phoenix Open".  And let's call the Razorback Stadium of years' past the "Masters".  Ignoring the inherent prejudices of the names, I believe the comparison is quite fair.

There is nothing wrong with the Phoenix Open...  It's fun so long as the weather holds, and there are plenty of good shots to cheer (or jeer).  People who aren't fans of golf will go to be part of the crowd and the party.  I'm not too sure that Phoenix Open patrons want to go time and again, but some may and I suspect most enjoy the event.

The Masters is a celebration of golf, worthy of attendance in any climate.  Virtually free from unnecessary advertisement, attending is affordable and memorable.  But this is a tough ticket.  It is an experience with friends and family to cherish a lifetime, and worthy of repetition.

GO HOGS!

The ďdie hardĒ fans have been leaving for years, they are catering to the responses of their audience on what it takes to get newer fans to the stadium. Weíve had music and commercials for years, I donít see that changing much. There seemed to be fewer commercials and recognitions on Saturday. They did the helicopter pilots, the family of the deputy killed, and the three musicians.

Tell Hunter you want the volume turned down, outside of that, I donít see them changing much.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #176 on: September 03, 2019, 03:28:08 pm »

GO HOGS!

Supposedly, The Augusta Invitational Tournament is the best managed sporting event in the world.

The UofA Athletic Administration could probably learn some things from ANGC Chairman Fred Ridley and the rest of the Green Blazers.

Craig O Squeal

« Reply #177 on: September 03, 2019, 04:01:13 pm »

GO HOGS!
The golf analogy is perfect! It's become the same environment. Now you've got cell phones and idiots yelling "Bababooey" and all kinds of weird shirt just to hear themselves and be "that guy". It's become more "Happy Gilmore" than anything. Maybe I'm just becoming my dad. I guess I'll swing by Denny's for the early bird now!

sechog

« Reply #178 on: September 03, 2019, 06:24:34 pm »

Only called the hogs once before the game and once during he game!

Hogustus

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #179 on: September 03, 2019, 06:25:48 pm »

Tell us more, what do they play in the stands that is different from the past?

I can't remember the last time I heard "Hey! Baby (I wanna know if you'll be my girl)"  by the band.  But I know I haven't heard since 2008.  (Albeit, I haven't been to every game)

They played it every game during the 80s & 90s... usually sometime in the 3rd quarter if memory serves, and everyone would sing along with it... And I wish they still played it.

I guess that's one of those things that is too old for today's younger generations (I'm mid 40s)

I also really like Hey Jude.  It could be a (more) fun experience if the crowd would embrace it & sing along & add a "Go Hogs" like the band does.

ricepig

« Reply #180 on: September 03, 2019, 06:33:32 pm »

I can't remember the last time I heard "Hey! Baby (I wanna know if you'll be my girl)"  by the band.  But I know I haven't heard since 2008.  (Albeit, I haven't been to every game)

They played it every game during the 80s & 90s... usually sometime in the 3rd quarter if memory serves, and everyone would sing along with it... And I wish they still played it.

I guess that's one of those things that is too old for today's younger generations (I'm mid 40s)

I also really like Hey Jude.  It could be a (more) fun experience if the crowd would embrace it & sing along & add a "Go Hogs" like the band does.

Those are fine, but they donít need to be played when itís a tight game and we want to build excitement. They played both of those and Sweet Caroline before when it seemed the incorrect time to me, but we all sang, lol.

ArkansasI

« Reply #181 on: September 03, 2019, 07:30:48 pm »

Those are fine, but they donít need to be played when itís a tight game and we want to build excitement. They played both of those and Sweet Caroline before when it seemed the incorrect time to me, but we all sang, lol.

I think youíre right about the band needing a quick rift between plays. And - after another fan refreshed our memory - I recall the joy we had with the abbreviation of the end of the fight song.

Dah!
Dah...dahdahdah dah  dah   dah

Er... something like that. 😀

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #182 on: September 03, 2019, 09:46:35 pm »

Will someone please start The Wave at the next game?

Everyone loves that.

BroyledNutts

« Reply #183 on: September 03, 2019, 10:00:30 pm »

GO HOGS!

Why does this post wreak of latent sarcasm to me ....

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #184 on: September 03, 2019, 10:10:44 pm »

Everyone loves that.

Don't forget the beachball.

sowmonella

• You know I'm right.
« Reply #185 on: September 03, 2019, 10:17:19 pm »

A strong contender for post of the year. Perfect.

Randohoggie

« Reply #186 on: September 03, 2019, 10:38:44 pm »

You know the first game went well when this thread exists.

ArkansasI

« Reply #187 on: September 04, 2019, 08:03:03 am »

Why does this post wreak of latent sarcasm to me ....

Didn't intend to...

The NewEra

« Reply #188 on: September 04, 2019, 10:08:09 am »

The ďdie hardĒ fans have been leaving for years, they are catering to the responses of their audience on what it takes to get newer fans to the stadium. Weíve had music and commercials for years, I donít see that changing much. There seemed to be fewer commercials and recognitions on Saturday. They did the helicopter pilots, the family of the deputy killed, and the three musicians.

Tell Hunter you want the volume turned down, outside of that, I donít see them changing much.

I'll give a good example of how Rice is spot on with this.  My brother and I were Broyles Matthew season ticket holders for years.  We had an average of eight to ten tickets annually.  There was always one of us living outside of the state, Texas, Florida, Tennessee, etc., so Razorback games were like Thanksgiving get together each weekend for us during football season.  When my younger brother passed away in 2010, it changed everything.  When we stopped paying foundation fees the younger kids didn't have the funds to keep up with the tradition and they had families to attend to with their surplus funds.  That's at least 10 season ticket right there.  Like it or not, many of the older folks are dying off and there must be a push to attract the younger generation to replace us.

I haven't been to but two games since 2010, but I hope they address the "too loud" issue and leave open the opportunity for spontaneous hog calls by the fans, because that's the Hallmark Tradition of the fans and the most intimidating thing the base can do when the crowd gets into the game.

ArkansasI

« Reply #189 on: September 04, 2019, 12:44:29 pm »

I'll give a good example of how Rice is spot on with this.  My brother and I were Broyles Matthew season ticket holders for years.  We had an average of eight to ten tickets annually.  There was always one of us living outside of the state, Texas, Florida, Tennessee, etc., so Razorback games were like Thanksgiving get together each weekend for us during football season.  When my younger brother passed away in 2010, it changed everything.  When we stopped paying foundation fees the younger kids didn't have the funds to keep up with the tradition and they had families to attend to with their surplus funds.  That's at least 10 season ticket right there.  Like it or not, many of the older folks are dying off and there must be a push to attract the younger generation to replace us.

I haven't been to but two games since 2010, but I hope they address the "too loud" issue and leave open the opportunity for spontaneous hog calls by the fans, because that's the Hallmark Tradition of the fans and the most intimidating thing the base can do when the crowd gets into the game.

Sorry that your brother passed.

After reading your second paragraph, I believe that you and I agree on this thing.  The primary issue I have is whether we ever needed to start pumping in sound in the first place.  That dates well before 2010...

I was a student in the mid-80s thru early 90s (I have a graduate degree - :) ).  I remember plenty of games where the atmosphere wasn't very good because the team wasn't playing that well.  The Hogs were leaving the SWC and weren't ready for the SEC.  The sound system was used back then to offset some of that "silence" - I just don't recall it being used as frequent or as loud.

Whatever contribution the piped in music has made, it needs to be better moderated.  It is so frequent now that fans are seldom motivated to cheer - and the noise is so loud you can't hear them over whatever is blasting through the speakers anyway.

BroyledNutts

« Reply #190 on: September 04, 2019, 02:37:07 pm »

Didn't intend to...

Then I stand corrected ... might be my critical/cynical mind at work ...

Craig O Squeal

« Reply #191 on: September 04, 2019, 02:53:06 pm »

Just ran across this...I'm a logo junkie and was on Twitter. Saw an article about the Mobile BayBears folding/relocating to Huntsville to become the Rocket City Trash Pandas. Beyond the name, take a look at the stadium. THIS is what a sporting event is becoming...a lazy river, pools, tables for conversation that doesn't even face the darn field. THIS is what the "gameday experience" is becoming. God help us all... :)

https://www.milb.com/rocket-city/ballpark/rocket-city-ballpark-preview

Shorttimer

« Reply #192 on: September 04, 2019, 03:45:33 pm »

I was at the game Saturday.  I am a season ticket holder and have been to at least two home games every year since 1992.  I wouldn't consider myself a traditionalist at all.  I like the music loud at appropriate times.  I like the video boards.  I like alternate uniforms from time to time. 

However, there are some traditional things I like a lot.  The Arkansas flag between the 3rd and 4th quarters.  Running through the A.  The William Tell Overture.  And even Hey Jude. 

Generally, as long as there is a game in front of me, I'm good.

Yet, there is something off right now about the stadium atmosphere.  It's as if they are trying too hard to give everybody a little of what they want and they are not pleasing anybody.  The idea of music between plays is fine to me, but when you mashup Diplo, Tim McGraw and Baby Shark in a 30 second music snippet, you're not going to please anybody.

In my opinion, there needs to be more of an effort to create a cohesive plan, develop an identity, and roll with it.

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!
« Reply #193 on: September 04, 2019, 03:48:39 pm »

Razorback Stadium has undergone numerous physical improvements since I first attended games. Capacity has nearly doubled... aesthetics are top notch... but fan experience is a fraction of what it once was. I attribute some of this to Hog performance, but much of the problem rests with management of game experience inside the stadium but off the field ....

Less is far, far more.

Just checking here: Have you been to any SEC road games?

ArkansasI

« Reply #194 on: September 04, 2019, 05:26:14 pm »

Just checking here: Have you been to any SEC road games?

Yes, several.  I've visited all the SEC campuses except USC, and have watched the Hogs at Ole Miss (3), Miss State (2), Kentucky, Georgia, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Texas A&M...  I've also seen the Hogs in Austin, Arlington, Lubbock and Irving (SMU back in the day).  And been to at least 3 Cotton Bowls, a few Liberty Bowls, a Citrus Bowl...  I'm sure that I'm forgetting a few...  Also seen Mizzou in Columbia and OU at Norman.

Curious why you ask.  I don't think what others are doing matters much.  The best venues that I've participated in are those that embrace tradition.  Arkansas' traditions have slipped as the program has struggled to win.  It seems the athletic department (quite understandably) started trying to entertain/distract fans away from the field.

I just believe the noise experiment has failed.  Inundating fans with loud music, constant announcements and advertisements allow us to lose focus from the game.  If we're winning that's bad, and if we're losing it makes me want to go home early.  Fans have come to depend upon whoever is pushing the buttons to create atmosphere rather than creating it organically.  We set off fireworks when we kick an extra point - or so it seems.  It's too much!  A constant barrage to the senses.

I was in Knoxville when Manning whooped us.  I hated the Tennessee fans - they were not good winners.  But I smiled when the announcer called out that it was football time in Tennessee, and liked that the Volunteers band played our fight song after forming the "power T".  I wonder if they still do that.  And as much as I hated it, I know every Vol fan loved hearing Rocky Top ring through the stadium... constantly.

Athens is a great town.  The people were over the top kind - even after we won.  I like that the Georgia announcer encouraged fans to be courteous to guests - and they were.

I love growing up as a Hog fan - we were probably obnoxious, but we had a lot to cheer about back then.  All Hog fans need is something to cheer about.

Until then, regardless of what they're doing in Tuscaloosa or Baton Rouge, no amount of pumped in music is going to improve my game day experience.  I've never left a game that we lost and felt the least consoled by suicide medleys at ear splitting decibels.  When we win, I've felt far less connected with 70-80K fans than to 44,000 of my youth - we leave Razorback Stadium having been played to and preyed upon, rather than having expended our time lifting our beloved Hogs to victory.

I'd laugh about it, but it has become so miserable... I can't.  I started this thread because I'm worn out by it.  And I think a lot of other Hog fans feel the same.

Nothing is going to make the game palatable to me when the Hogs aren't competitive.  What's going on in the stadium now simply drives me away sooner.  I'd rather suffer in peace and quiet than be encouraged to get fired up listening to AC/DC when we're down 18.  We were never down 18 last Saturday, but we were still expected to get excited about everything other than Razorback football.  From my vantage point, it didn't work.

Thanks for the discussion - I really think this is important.  GO HOGS!

SooievilleSlugger97

• Band Nerd
« Reply #195 on: September 04, 2019, 09:24:49 pm »

Everyone loves that.

Always wanted to see this done, but with the hog call. The people who start the "wave" have to hold chanting "Woo" until the stadium is filled with everyone calling the hogs and ends like a regular hog call.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #196 on: September 06, 2019, 09:50:36 pm »

I was being facetious.
I know several people can't stand the wave.

I like it, if it's done at the right time.
To me, it's one of those things that is fun when the game is out of hand.

It's very annoying to me as well when the game is on the line and can go either way and some fool is trying to start the wave.

Melancholy_Pigg

• All you Repo men are out to lunch
« Reply #197 on: September 06, 2019, 10:58:43 pm »

Razorback Stadium has undergone numerous physical improvements since I first attended games. Capacity has nearly doubled... aesthetics are top notch... but fan experience is a fraction of what it once was. I attribute some of this to Hog performance, but much of the problem rests with management of game experience inside the stadium but off the field.

Television has taken away the flow of the game, but it is not the culprit of game day annoyance that the stadium sound system has become.  I'm convinced that whoever manages the Razorback Stadium sound system on game day is no fan of football, and what they do to patrons of Arkansas Razorback football is pure torture, if not criminal.

I cannot believe anyone enjoys the atmosphere being manufactured through the fantastic sound system we have in Fayetteville.  I'm sure that even those responsible for the ear bleeding dissonance would agree if only they were subjected to the crystal clear decibels forced upon us in the stands.  Most of us do not suffer the attention deficit of those given control of this most important aspect of the game.

If left to wager upon who is responsible for conducting this orchestra of pain, my money is on a collection of teenaged cheer squad members amped up on Red Bull and Pop Rocks.  This tribe seems compelled to cram  between each snap of the ball at least 3 ear splitting bars of rap, heavy metal and a little bit of pop country. 

For those of us in attendance, we suffer:
  - stings to the ears;
  - theft of our ability to converse with the person sitting in the seat next to us;
  - the loss of alternating waves of cheers and comparative silence; and
  - so much more.

The carousel of ear piercing music screaming through Razorback Stadium must stop. The band offers scarce respits of game day heaven.

This is an easy fix and Hunter needs to take control of this immediately.

Less is far, far more.

Teenaged cheer squad members?   No, no, no....

I picture something more akin to the kid from Alma who dreams of being the next Emimen  Sparx or whoever it is and he is "M-Cing" the freshman dorm hall party at Hotz Hall.

He quickly becomes ignored and wears an "X" hat and eventually everyone just stays away from him.  He drives thru the parking lot blaring what he thinks will make everyone think "Yeah man he is one cool bad gangsta..."

(He did it at Alma High after graduation until the police scared him off)

YEah.  It is awful.  Like embarassing, insecure bad.   

OneTuskOverTheLineô

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #198 on: September 07, 2019, 10:33:05 am »

Game day experience lost me when they had to start explaining the correct way to do the Hog Call

I'm glad someone took up the mantle though. I really am.!!

OneTuskOverTheLineô

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #199 on: September 07, 2019, 10:36:13 am »

Ok, if you say so. But my point is, we donít have a short chord, or whatever you call it like OU can play with Boomer Sooner, or UT with the Eyes of Texas, or Texas Fight after a big play. Iíve been going to games for years and I donít remember any short snippet.

I always thought the drum line at the end of (I can't remember the song name) the song that goes, "A. R K. A. N. S. AS.!!!" Could be turned into a repetitive cheer. I just dig the sound of 80-K spelling out ARKANSAS!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas