• 10,570,346 Posts
• 416,081 Topics
• 23,903 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Big changes in milb  (Read 668 times)

intoxhog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • It's history that teaches us to hope.~Robert E Lee
Big changes in milb
« on: October 19, 2019, 08:08:58 am »

The thing that stuck out to me was they are changing the draft possibly from June to August ! Our players are enrolling by then so that could create massive problems... also I wonder how this will affect the Arkansas minor-league teams in Little Rock and Northwest Arkansas if they’re cutting the minor-league teams by 1/4.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/mlb-floats-proposal-that-would-eliminate-42-minor-league-teams/

Thetrout64

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Big changes in milb
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 08:38:38 am »

The key to solving a lot of issues for college baseball is changing the scholarships for all players, not just seniors.  Revenues for major Power 5 conference schools are up by over 100% since the scholarship cuts took effect in 1991-92.  Time to adjust to the times.  Would make college coaches jobs easier.  Wouldn't solve the issue of losing players to draft at the last minute, but at least doesn't become a bidding battle for players based upon percent of scholarships.  If they are all counters like FB and Basketball, then the coaches don't have to be mathematicians

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Wisco Pig

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 09:09:48 am »

The thing that stuck out to me was they are changing the draft possibly from June to August ! Our players are enrolling by then so that could create massive problems... also I wonder how this will affect the Arkansas minor-league teams in Little Rock and Northwest Arkansas if they’re cutting the minor-league teams by 1/4.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/mlb-floats-proposal-that-would-eliminate-42-minor-league-teams/

Thanks for posting.   The Baseball America story at the link now includes the following note:

Editor's Note: This story initially reported that the proposal would move the MLB draft back to August. Further reporting has found that while the draft in the proposal would move to after the College World Series, it would not be moved as late as August. We regret the error. Also, the number of roster spots for minor leagues would be limited to between 150 and 200 players. The story initially said teams would be limited to 150 players.

There's also a piece up on Deadspin:
https://deadspin.com/report-mlb-proposal-would-wipe-out-a-quarter-of-all-mi-1839178218

BroyledNutts

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 06:32:38 pm »

I don't think Arvest Park would be in consideration as an inadequate facility, but it could be if the Royals are told to pare down the number of teams in their minor league system.
I'd really think the minor league teams most affected by anything like this would be the short season and instructional A leagues.
It seems by the article that the MLB desires fewer kids in the minors - instead, opting for higher qualified kids that are better paid.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas