• 10,569,997 Posts
• 416,075 Topics
• 23,903 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Proposal - Full Scholarships for Seniors  (Read 1587 times)

ucahogfan

New Proposal - Full Scholarships for Seniors
« on: October 01, 2019, 07:36:06 pm »

D1 Baseball wrote an article about new legislation that is currently being talked about.  Full scholarships for seniors which do not count against the 11.7 or the 27 guys on scholarship.  They would count against the 35 players limit.  This would be a game changer for programs as good players could potentially stick around and get their degree.  See details below:

https://d1baseball.com/news/new-legislative-proposal-aims-to-ease-seniors-suffering/

Bruinstyle2001

Re: New Proposal - Full Scholarships for Seniors
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 08:38:49 pm »

After reading the article a few hours ago, I started thinking about the large scale ramifications if it passes:

- The concept of the of the “senior sign” may go away from the draft. With juniors having greater bargaining leverage, teams would have to show a commitment or risk losing players back to school.  That means it would be harder to use first 10 round draft picks on senior players as you would need to focus on players you truly want, you know you can sign, and you know you can sign within slot. But it could also go the other way over signing seniors to save on the bonus pool, and then overpaying someone in the 11-20 rounds without penalty.

- Rounds 11-20 of the draft may shift toward high school players. With the coaches not having to “push” players toward signing due to not having scholarships and the players receiving little bonus money, this may push the MLB to take fewer risks on some college players in this range. The college game may skew a little higher in age and quality.

- There are obvious Title IX considerations on how this would be offset. I don’t know what the solution would be for SEC schools since you would never know the total you would need each year and the limited number of sports offered by the conference as a whole.

- This seems like a no brainer to enhance the student experience and help more players get college degrees. That doesn’t mean it will be so easy to pass. I haven’t found an effective date for the bylaw, but with the academic year running August to July for most universities/colleges, it means we are likely a few years away from implementation if passed. 

- I wonder if this will make college baseball start looking a lot more like college football with the transfer portal. With more players coming back for a senior year and so many having a redshirt at some point in their careers, I wonder if a college “free agency” will develop as more players will be eligible to transfer freely under the graduate transfer rules and be able to receive a full scholarship. 

- And maybe the biggest question mark for the students, will D1 universities as a whole choose to fund the full scholarships? It would give them the election to give full scholarships. Most SEC schools only have 2-4 seniors a year, but the mid majors that thrive typically have 4-10 seniors. So the schools most equipped to pay for this have the lowest burden and those least equipped to pay have the highest burden. As mentioned above, the mid majors may get pilfered for talent unless they choose to pony up the dough.

These are just my immediate thoughts and ramblings on initial first impression. I selfishly would love to see the bylaw pass because I know Arkansas could benefit greatly and the college game could continue to grow in quality because of it.  Hopefully this is a no brainer for the ADs of the conferences.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 07:26:20 am by Bruinstyle2001 »

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hogfanboy2

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 05:27:00 pm »

I would like to see a system where your remaining eligibility does not affect signing bonus amounts.

The trick is how can college baseball/NCAA do it without MLB help? (they are not going to help)
I got nothing for a solution.

Knot2brite

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 08:34:29 pm »

Here is a proposal...35 man roster...35 freaking scholarships ...they aren’t any less of a athlete than any other

jjdlc

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 10:39:13 am »

Here is a proposal...35 man roster...35 freaking scholarships ...they aren’t any less of a athlete than any other

Agreed, while I like the way the baseball draft process works, the idea of the 11.7 scholarships is just ridiculous and needs to change.

Bruinstyle2001

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 11:38:43 am »

You would think fully funded scholarships would be common sense, but it's not.  Baseball was never a fully funded sport and at its height only had 13 scholarships.  And back when there were 13 scholarships, there was no roster cap so USC and Arizona State were known to be carrying sometimes 50+ players on the team.  On the HogPod, Coach DeBriyn talked about how when he first started coaching it was an intramural squad with no scholarships.  He worked his way up to approval for 9 scholarships and eventually the full 11.7 scholarships. 

It's easier to convince people to add a few scholarships than it is to start fully funding a sport.  So much of this seems common sense, but in practice is nonsensical.  If they pass this bylaw, we may be able to get baseball a "hidden" additional 2-10 scholarships a year that will lighten the burden on the senior players.  But it may also allow you to allot more to incoming freshmen - perhaps enticing a higher caliber of player with a full scholarship.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 07:12:47 am by Bruinstyle2001 »

Thetrout64

• Band Nerd
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 01:15:41 pm »

The amount of revenue has changed dramatically since the days that 11.7 was created.  I know this because I worked at a major university athletic program when it was changed.

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 10:28:26 pm »

The amount of revenue has changed dramatically since the days that 11.7 was created.  I know this because I worked at a major university athletic program when it was changed.

For some "have" schools, including many in the SEC.  But even powerhouses (traditional) like USC and Arizona don't draw more than 1000 fans to their home games.

rinds

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 05:25:15 pm »

For some "have" schools, including many in the SEC.  But even powerhouses (traditional) like USC and Arizona don't draw more than 1000 fans to their home games.

They need to step up there game or they are not required to give the full amounts. If they don't lose to the SEC they will lose to MLB. I don't like the if you didn't bring enough gum for the whole class thing.

WhenPigsFly

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2019, 11:39:55 am »

Don’t forget the Title IX impact on athletic departments if men’s scholarships are added.

Knot2brite

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2019, 06:41:40 pm »

Don’t forget the Title IX impact on athletic departments if men’s scholarships are added.
As a high school softball coach (now) I say give them full scholarship coverage as well...again...if they have a 25 athlete limit then by golly give them 25 scholarships

UofA🐗Alumna

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2019, 10:05:17 pm »

As a high school softball coach (now) I say give them full scholarship coverage as well...again...if they have a 25 athlete limit then by golly give them 25 scholarships
Agreed.  Let the programs who can afford to fund their programs.  You set a cap so that kids aren't stockpiled and left to rot on the bench but don't hinder programs b/c others can't or refuse to fund theirs.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 01:13:46 am by UofA🐗Alumna »

Flatline

• FEAR THE HOG!!!!
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 07:29:56 pm »

The problem is that the NCAA is still in the dark ages. They had better get their crap together or they’re going to be on the outside looking in. This
California is just the start.

You have a bunch of old school people who do not want to look past the tip of their noses. This law was passed so long ago for reasons that don’t even exist anymore.

They can give out more scholarships as long as the women get the amount there getting right now.  It should be passed on money the sport is making.

jjdlc

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2019, 12:32:07 pm »

I haven't followed college baseball as closely till the past 5 years or so, I have a question.  With the limited # of scholarships, are baseball players allowed to get academic scholarships?  I figure the answer is no, like Football and Basketball, but wasn't sure.

Big Nasty 34

• John 3:16
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2019, 01:43:05 pm »

Like someone mentioned on the radio, yesterday, how the heck is this paying college athletes going to impact Title 9 and other laws.

Bruinstyle2001

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2019, 09:23:00 am »

I haven't followed college baseball as closely till the past 5 years or so, I have a question.  With the limited # of scholarships, are baseball players allowed to get academic scholarships?  I figure the answer is no, like Football and Basketball, but wasn't sure.

Yes.  Only sports where scholarships are fully funded are you not allowed to get academic scholarships.  In partial scholarship sports, you are allowed to get academic funding up to the amount of the full scholarship (but you must be subject to the same guidelines for all students at the university).  This is how Vanderbilt and Michigan get fully funded scholarships. 

Thetrout64

• Band Nerd
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2019, 11:38:36 am »

Revenue at Univ of Arkansas athletics has risen from $65 million in 2019 to over $125 million in 2018.  Full scholarships are affordable for baseball and they can match up for softball so Title IX isn't affected.  Understanding they need to increase for all female sports.  But the revenue is there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas