• 10,473,855 Posts
• 413,248 Topics
• 23,631 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kirk's Korner: There's some confusion regarding young, inexperienced team  (Read 3334 times)

311Hog

Re: Kirk's Korner: There's some confusion regarding young, inexperienced team
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 10:19:46 am »

excellent article. this Ole Miss game is so critical to the future of our program i almost cant watch.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

HogJowler

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 10:27:36 am »

At least we will be a lot more experienced next year.  Sometimes you just have to cut away all the deadwood to get a tree to grow again.

After the darkness comes the light

#it is what we are  #Go Hogs

Pudgepork

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Horse Racings most unlikely champ
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 10:45:04 am »

Good read. 

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 11:02:39 am »

Good article. I knew we had lots of young guys but it's a real eye opener to stare it in the face like that.

SquidBiily

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 11:55:19 am »

Thanks Otis.  This clearly paints the picture of the hand this staff was dealt.  To have only a handful of players make up the majority of the experience on the team is very telling.  Almost makes last year irrelevant as it seems like the rebuild is actually starting in year 2.

311Hog

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 12:02:12 pm »

Thanks Otis.  This clearly paints the picture of the hand this staff was dealt.  To have only a handful of players make up the majority of the experience on the team is very telling.  Almost makes last year irrelevant as it seems like the rebuild is actually starting in year 2.

this year has the feel of Petrino's first. Hopefully it works out as well.

OkieBack

• Hogvillian
  • Everybody Love Everybody
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 12:07:49 pm »

Thanks for the article Otis.  I catch myself all to often referring to this as a "young" team and this piece definitely gives a much better picture in that we are dealing with inexperienced players as much as anything.  Granted there is youth out there getting lots of playing time, but for the upper classmen...many are seeing starts for their first time in their collegiate careers. 

One or two starts to me from 2018 don't really count for a whole lot.  But this year players will make huge strides as a result of major playing time.  I firmly believe the direction this team will eventually head will be solidified in 2020, even though I hope to see some play makers emerge to generate a few more wins for us this year. 

Good read.  Thanks for the honesty.

LRHawg

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hello darkness my old friend ...
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 12:32:47 pm »

excellent article. this Ole Miss game is so critical to the future of our program i almost cant watch.

I normally don't drink during games but I will probably need a few old fashioned's to take the nervous edge off for this one. It's big in so many ways.

311Hog

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 12:33:55 pm »

I normally don't drink during games but I will probably need a few old fashioned's to take the nervous edge off for this one. It's big in so many ways.

Yeah i haven't looked but i am not above catching a buzz at noon =) hope it is a later kick though.

farmhawg

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2019, 12:35:24 pm »

Good perspective that unfortunately most will ignore.

LRHawg

• Hello darkness my old friend ...
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2019, 12:35:58 pm »

Yeah i haven't looked but i am not above catching a buzz at noon =) hope it is a later kick though.

Kickoff will be sufficiently past 5pm. :)

hawg1221

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2019, 01:52:50 pm »

All the negative posters need to read that article. Very good points made.

CoastalHawg

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2019, 02:37:30 pm »

Balanced analysis. Thanks Otis!

ChromDome35

• Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2019, 02:55:45 pm »

It would be interesting to do an analysis that looked at Arkansas's 2019 starters and their combined career starts comparing that to every other team in the SEC.  I would suspect that Arkansas's starters would have the fewest career starts of any team.

RyeHogFan

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2019, 03:09:36 pm »

this year has the feel of Petrino's first. Hopefully it works out as well.

Yeah, I remember going to Petrino's first game where we narrowly beat Western Illinois 28-24 and actually had to come from behind there. We then squeaked by ULM 28-27. We dropped 3 straight against teams that were far superior to ours that year in Bama, Texas, and Florida. Then we finally got that SEC win with a 25-22 win against Auburn, followed by two losses to Kentucky and Ole Miss by a combined 3 points. We beat Tulsa barely and then lost two tough road games against South Carolina and Miss St. Then we ended it with Miracle on Markham II.

We've had our narrow FCS victory. Hopefully we can do like that Petrino team by getting a few SEC wins, and showing some improvement throughout the year as these players get experience. Even though we finished 5-7 in 2008, there was still an air of hope and a bright future in the program. Hopefully we can start getting that back this year.

311Hog

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2019, 03:25:14 pm »

Yeah, I remember going to Petrino's first game where we narrowly beat Western Illinois 28-24 and actually had to come from behind there. We then squeaked by ULM 28-27. We dropped 3 straight against teams that were far superior to ours that year in Bama, Texas, and Florida. Then we finally got that SEC win with a 25-22 win against Auburn, followed by two losses to Kentucky and Ole Miss by a combined 3 points. We beat Tulsa barely and then lost two tough road games against South Carolina and Miss St. Then we ended it with Miracle on Markham II.

We've had our narrow FCS victory. Hopefully we can do like that Petrino team by getting a few SEC wins, and showing some improvement throughout the year as these players get experience. Even though we finished 5-7 in 2008, there was still an air of hope and a bright future in the program. Hopefully we can start getting that back this year.
yeah exactly what i was thinking i was at his first game as well, you could just see the young talent on the field, and it "felt" like things were turning around. I am beyond eager to see this offense "open up" let it rip man.

welchog

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2019, 10:26:09 pm »

What that article tells me more than anything is we played the wrong players last year.  Many of those SRs and definitely the underclassmen that transferred quit and/or mailed it in the majority of the season.  If CM would have cut bait and played the players mentioned, we might not have won anymore games, but we would be more"experienced" now.

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2019, 06:55:39 am »

What that article tells me more than anything is we played the wrong players last year.  Many of those SRs and definitely the underclassmen that transferred quit and/or mailed it in the majority of the season.  If CM would have cut bait and played the players mentioned, we might not have won anymore games, but we would be more"experienced" now.
Anyone ever tell you you have great hindsight?

Mike_e

• May the woo be with you
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2019, 07:34:46 am »

Had CCM done that I don't know if he would have had enough players to field a team.

2/3s pretty much quit anyway but the 20 or 30 left would have gotten killed trying to play both ways and without substitution.

Wild Boarnado

• Senior
  • Do unto others as you would have them do to you.
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2019, 10:03:17 am »

I need to read this article before each game this season.

311Hog

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2019, 09:44:01 am »

did yall see the roster break down during the broadcast? lol almost half our team is freshman, more than half are freshman and soph.

Wow..

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2019, 09:49:02 am »

It's really a shame that in any given year up to
25% of high school graduates are functionally illiterate

rzrbaxfan

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2019, 09:51:36 am »

At least we will be a lot more experienced next year.  Sometimes you just have to cut away all the deadwood to get a tree to grow again.

After the darkness comes the light

#it is what we are  #Go Hogs

"next year" should be worked into the lyrics of our fight song.

The NewEra

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2019, 09:52:57 am »

Nicely done Otis!

HenduHog

• Razorbacks: Hostile and mobile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2019, 10:29:25 am »

I'm not completely off the wagon, but the lack of cohesive play calling bothers me. Plays not sent in, time outs because play isn't ready, trick plays that have no effect, wildhog for no apparent reason.

That is my concern. For a team that is supposed to run the HUNH, we aren't even running 1/2 HUNH

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2019, 10:39:47 am »

I need to read this article before each game this season.

When I first glanced at your response, I thought it said, "I need to read this article before every season."

Big Piggo

• Walk-On
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2019, 01:59:14 pm »

Not to belabor the point, but it became obvious pretty quickly that the Ole Miss coaches saw the same thing as stated in this thread.  I began to watch how they utilized slot receiver #8 Elijah Moore, who started a few games and appeared in all of them last year, against our true freshman nickel back.  This year, it was a mismatch.  Next year, I don't think it'll be Moore winning 8 out of 10 one-on-one match-ups with our nickel, even though he's a really good player.  Experience seemed to make a huge difference in this game to me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas