• 10,743,908 Posts
• 419,964 Topics
• 24,689 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preliminary Non-conference schedule  (Read 830 times)

flippinhogmana

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Nathan J Allison - Brothers to the Bone Books
Preliminary Non-conference schedule
« on: August 16, 2019, 01:15:29 pm »

this was posted today.  It lacks some columns to be filled in later but at least we can see who we are playing and when (even where).  Only one tournament, and that one off shore, two games (Fordham and Wisconsin if memory serves me right).

Arkansas Women’s Basketball Releases 2019 Non-Conference Schedule
Mario Bravante
MARIO BRAVANTE
August 16, 2019
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Arkansas Women’s Basketball released its 15-game 2019 non-conference schedule today, as announced by Head Coach Mike Neighbors. Neighbors’ third season on the bench for the Razorbacks officially tips off on November 8th, as the annual Elementary Day game will feature the Hogs facing off against New Orleans.

“Seeing Bud Walton Arena come alive last March for the WNIT run made it a high priority to ensure our amazing fans have an opportunity to keep the momentum building with a quality home schedule this season,” Neighbors said. “Knowing the challenges the SEC presents at the turn of the year, it’s always vital to have your team prepared for a variety of styles of play. It’s important to travel enough to challenge, but not disrupt, an important academic time for our student athletes.  And lastly, you have to consider what is good for the entire league to maximize potential for NCAA at-large bids come Selection Monday.”

“There are so many moving targets to hit.  It’s like putting together a 1,000-piece puzzle that is one solid color.  We study the past trends diligently and try our best to predict future ones. With Associate Head Coach Todd Schaefer’s daily work on it, we feel like we have done just that, and that this year’s schedule has checked all of those boxes. The five NCAA Tournament teams we will face this early will put us in position to again be considered for play beyond the SEC Tournament.”

11 of Arkansas’ 15 non-conference games, including both exhibitions, will take place within the confines of Bud Walton Arena, where the Hogs went 11-7 a season ago. Meanwhile, the Hogs will only play one true road game all of non-conference play. Of the five games that feature NCAA Tournament teams from last season in the non-conference portion of the slate, two will come at home, one will come on the road and two will be played at neutral sites.

Before the official home opener, the Razorbacks will play two exhibition games, as they will host Pittsburg State (Oct. 24) and Oklahoma City University (Oct. 30) at Bud Walton Arena. Following the home opener, the Hogs will play four more games at home, as they will face McNeese State (Nov. 11), Oral Roberts (Nov. 14), Stony Brook (Nov. 17) and Belmont (Nov. 20), who was a 13 seed in last year’s NCAA Tournament, over a nine-day span.

Neighbors’ squad will then play its first and only true road game during non-conference play, as they will head to the Golden State to take on the Cal Bears on November 24th. Arkansas has played the Bears three times before and holds a 2-1 advantage in the all-time series. The two teams last met all the way back in March of 1987. Cal earned an eighth seed in the NCAA Tournament last season, but was bounced out of the tournament in round two by the eventual National Champion Baylor Bears.

The Hogs will be spending Thanksgiving in paradise, as Neighbors’ team will next head to the Bahamas to take part in the Bahamas Hoopfest. While there, they will play Fordham (Nov. 29), the No. 14 seed in the Starkville Region in last season’s NCAA Tournament, and Wisconsin (Nov. 30), the only other Power 5 school in the event, in back-to-back days. The trip will mark the team’s first scheduled games outside the continental U.S. since 2015-16, when the Hogs played back-to-back games in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Fans interested in following the Razorbacks to Nassau can book their hotels and sign up for fan travel packages now at www.bahamashoopfest.com/fan-packages.

Arkansas then rounds out the remainder of its non-conference schedule in the Natural State. Arkansas’ first game back home will feature the Hogs and Kansas State (Dec. 7), as Bud Walton will be one of 10 host venues for the 2019 Big 12/SEC Challenge. The Hogs are 2-3 all-time in the Challenge. Kansas State is the final tournament team Neighbors’ crew will play at home during the non-conference part of the schedule, as the Wildcats were a ninth seed in last season’s NCAA Tournament.

Tulsa (Dec. 11) and Northwestern State (Dec. 15) will both visit the Hill in early December, right before the Hogs travel to Little Rock, where Arkansas will meet the Trojans (Dec. 21) in Verizon Arena. Neighbors and Co. will close the non-conference slate at home, where they will host UT-Martin on December 29th.

2019 Non-Conference Schedule:

Thursday, Oct. 24 – vs. Pittsburg State (Exhibition)
Wednesday, Oct. 30 – vs. Oklahoma City University (Exhibition)
Friday, Nov. 8 – vs. New Orleans (Elementary Day)
Monday, Nov. 11 – vs. McNeese State
Thursday, Nov. 14 – vs. Oral Roberts
Sunday, Nov. 17 – vs. Stony Brook
Wednesday, Nov. 20 – vs. Belmont
Sunday, Nov. 24 – at California
Friday, Nov. 29 – vs. Fordham (Bahamas Hoopfest)
Saturday, Nov. 30 – vs. Wisconsin (Bahamas Hoopfest)
Saturday, Dec. 7 – vs. Kansas State (Big 12/SEC Challenge)
Wednesday, Dec. 11 – vs. Tulsa
Sunday, Dec. 15 – vs. Northwestern State
Saturday, Dec. 21 – vs. Little Rock (@Verizon Arena)
Sunday, Dec. 29 – vs. UT-Martin

Tip times and TV designations will be announced at a later date, as will the full SEC slate.

For more information about Arkansas Women’s Basketball, follow us on Twitter and Instagram at @RazorbackWBB and on Facebook at Facebook.com/RazorbackWBB. Be sure to subscribe to our YouTube Channel, “Kickin’ It In The Neighborhood” for an inside look at the Razorback women’s basketball program and check out The Neighborhood podcasts at CoachNeighbors.com.

psycHOGlogist

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Skepticism is a virtue.
Re: Preliminary Non-conference schedule
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 01:31:28 pm »

The schedule is also posted on arkansasrazorbacks.com. As noted in flippin's post, the only real "away" game is Cal, though the UALR game is of course in Little Rock, and the Bahamas Hoopfest games are ... in the Bahamas. :-)

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/w-baskbl/schedule/

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 02:19:26 pm »

This is a schedule where we could go undefeated - maybe even should go undefeated.  It surprises me in that regard.  The other part is that ORU should be a road game.  We have been playing both Tulsa and ORU for several years with one at home and one on the road.  If this is correct ORU will be here for two straight years.  We took a bus to Tulsa last year and ORU the previous year.  Am I saying that we will win every game - no probably not, but I sure hope we do not loose more than one - maybe two on the outside.  If we get at least 8 wins in the SEC, we should win 20+ games in the regular season which is what Flippin has predicted.

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 03:41:36 pm »

The toughest games to me - kind of obviously - look like Kansas State (NCAAT 1st round last year and who return 4 of their top 5 scorers) and Cal (NCAAT 2nd round, losing to Baylor, though they lose their all-everything post to graduation and one of their very good young guards to transfer, plus their coach is now in the NBA). We could be catching Cal at a very good time. KSU returns a 1st team All B12 post, Peyton Williams, who will be a challenge for us. Stony Brook is not a bad team, though playing at home should give us an even bigger advantage over them. And the regional teams (Tulsa, ORU) always seem to give us their best games. 

I agree that this is a schedule where we could/should do very well. Winning them all should be the goal, but 1-2 losses seems very achievable. More than that would probably be a disappointment. I'm eager to see the conference slate now! Based on press releases from UT and MSU, I know that we will host Tennessee and travel to Miss St. in single games, but apart from Mizzou (who is our permanent home-home partner, I believe) I don't know who our other two-game partners will be.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 04:08:57 pm »

I have a sneaking suspicion that the goal is to go undefeated in preseason, but with several tests thrown in.  LBBF, I thought the game with ORU was supposed to out here this year as well.  It (along with when we play Tulsa out here makes it a lot easier for me to attend Hog games in person.  But now that I am on the mend, that may not be as important as it was last year.  I mowed my whole lawn today with a push mower.  Felt good to work hard!

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 11:59:17 am »

I also believe UALR will be very competitive - there will be a lot of adrenalin in that game.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 12:46:42 pm »

I also believe UALR will be very competitive - there will be a lot of adrenalin in that game.

Its a natural rivalry game, one that we have avoided in the past in all sports.  In Frank Broyles' opinion, the risk exceeded any possible reward.  But where is the fun in that?  I for one am glad that we are finally starting to play our state sister schools.  It might not bring money into the state (but with TV revenue I am not sure even that holds all the time), but it should drive interest up within the state.

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 12:58:55 pm »

Looking at rosters and past performance of our opponents, it is obvious that Kansas State poses the largest obstacle to us with Peyton Williams - a 6'4" do everything post player who also is a top defensive post.  Hopefully, this is where Barnum really makes a difference in non-conference.  There last year's record was somewhat confusing - they did not look good in conference until the last half of the season where they beat TCU at TCU and also Texas.  Earlier they lost to TCU at home and got crushed by Iowa State.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 05:31:38 pm »

Looking at rosters and past performance of our opponents, it is obvious that Kansas State poses the largest obstacle to us with Peyton Williams - a 6'4" do everything post player who also is a top defensive post.  Hopefully, this is where Barnum really makes a difference in non-conference.  There last year's record was somewhat confusing - they did not look good in conference until the last half of the season where they beat TCU at TCU and also Texas.  Earlier they lost to TCU at home and got crushed by Iowa State.

year in year out they are a pretty decent program to test yourself against.  So far what are we 0-3 in the inter-conference challenge?  nice to put a one in the w column if we can this year.  But you are right, if would be good to have Ms Barnum help out in the middle if we were going to achieve that.

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 09:08:59 pm »

I think we are 2-3 in SEC/Big12 Challenge competition. We have wins over Texas Tech and Oklahoma and losses to Kansas, Texas, and Iowa State. We started 2-0 and have dropped the last 3. Kansas State will be a very good (as in tough) match up for us. I suspect we will try to run them (and their big) off their game, and I hope there’s a good crowd for it at the Bud.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 10:49:05 pm »

I think we are 2-3 in SEC/Big12 Challenge competition. We have wins over Texas Tech and Oklahoma and losses to Kansas, Texas, and Iowa State. We started 2-0 and have dropped the last 3. Kansas State will be a very good (as in tough) match up for us. I suspect we will try to run them (and their big) off their game, and I hope there’s a good crowd for it at the Bud.

you are right of course. I think I was mistaken and was comparing our results against the big 10 instead.

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 08:22:31 am »

Now the question is: has Dorian impacted our trip to the Bahamas?  If so how do we replace those games?

flippinhogmana

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 12:53:58 am »

Now the question is: has Dorian impacted our trip to the Bahamas?  If so how do we replace those games?

My best guess (twofold) is that the games are likely to be played in Nassau.   Nassau wasn't too terribly hit ? (1) so I would think that there is a better than even chance that the games will go  on as scheduled (2).  The games aren't scheduled until the last of November (two and a half months still away), so hopefully any damage done to feeder facilities such as roads or airports and buildings to be used will be repaired by then.  Confirmed Nassau -  Fans interested in following the Razorbacks to Nassau can book their hotels and sign up for fan travel packages now at www.bahamashoopfest.com/fan-packages.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 05:22:37 am by flippinhogmana »

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 10:37:40 am »

The conference schedule was released today. Here’s what it looks like:

Jan 2 - TAMU
Jan 5 - @Aub
Jan 9 - @SC
Jan 12 - Mizzou
Jan 19 - @Vandy
Jan 23 - UGA
Jan 26 - Florida
Jan 30 - @Bama
Feb 2 - @Mizzou
Feb 6 - SC
Feb 9 - UK
Feb 16 - @Ole Miss
Feb 20 - Tenn
Feb 24 - @Florida
Feb 27 - @Miss St
Mar 1 - LSU

So, double dates with Mizzou (our standing partner), Florida, and SC. Florida is still rebuilding, and Mizzou will be seeking an identity without Sophie Cunningham. This is not a bad schedule that gives us a decent shot of having a top-half SEC record, if not higher. 

razCzar

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2019, 05:03:16 am »

My best guess (twofold) is that the games are likely to be played in Nassau.   Nassau wasn't too terribly hit ? (1) so I would think that there is a better than even chance that the games will go  on as scheduled (2).  The games aren't scheduled until the last of November (two and a half months still away), so hopefully any damage done to feeder facilities such as roads or airports and buildings to be used will be repaired by then.  Confirmed Nassau -  Fans interested in following the Razorbacks to Nassau can book their hotels and sign up for fan travel packages now at www.bahamashoopfest.com/fan-packages.
Thanks for the info flippin.  I had been concerned about this in light of the hurricane.  Pulled these items from your link.  The Springdale connection was a nice surprise. 

Bahamas HOOPFEST Women's College Basketball Classic

Springdale, Ark. – The Springdale-based non-profit, International Youth Education & Sports (iYES) Foundation, has announced that it will host the inaugural Bahamas Hoopfest, an NCAA Division I women’s basketball classic, in Nassau, Bahamas during Thanksgiving weekend 2019. Five NCAA Division-I women’s basketball teams, which include Arkansas, Ball State (Ind.), Fordham (N.Y.), Lehigh (Pa.) and Wisconsin-Madison, will compete in the Bahamas Hoopfest Classic Nov. 28-30 at the Kendal G.L. Isaacs Gymnasium in Nassau, Bahamas.

PROPOSED GAME SCHEDULE
Day 1, November 28   Gm. 1: Lehigh vs. Ball State (3 p.m. CST)
Day 2, November 29   Gm. 2: Arkansas vs. Fordham (3 p.m. CST)
                                Gm. 3: Ball State vs. Wisconsin (6 p.m. CST)
Day 3, November 30   Gm. 4: Fordham vs. Lehigh (3 p.m. CST)
                                Gm. 5  Wisconsin vs. Arkansas (6 p.m. CST)

​   https://www.bahamashoopfest.com/latest-news

flippinhogmana

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 06:23:59 am »

thanks for the followup razCzar!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas