• 10,467,768 Posts
• 413,060 Topics
• 23,627 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Destination Weddings  (Read 681 times)

hillbilly

Destination Weddings
« on: August 27, 2019, 10:38:54 am »

Any advice/recommendations on this? Just wanting to see what some people have experienced or heard of destination weddings in both a positive or negative way. Not wanting to break the bank for the wedding but don't want it to be something worth remembering either. Any info will be appreciated!

Cotton

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Formerly of ESPN 8 "The Ocho"
Re: Destination Weddings
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 10:47:21 am »

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm also looking for information on this however my situation will be slightly different.

We are looking at a destination for just the 2 of us to go and make it a wedding/honeymoon combo.

There's slight potential that our parents would join but that's very doubtful. Most likely will just be the 2 of us.

Some preliminary brainstorming has been Greece, Italy or Costa Rica.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • 6/27/18: Just another layer of scar tissue
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 11:20:04 am »

French Polynesia.  That's Tahiti/Moorea/Bora Bora.  The wife and I did an anniversary trip there in 2010, and I know that Wildhog had his destination honeymoon there a couple of years later.  Most romantic place on earth.

Cotton

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 12:18:35 pm »

French Polynesia.  That's Tahiti/Moorea/Bora Bora.  The wife and I did an anniversary trip there in 2010, and I know that Wildhog had his destination honeymoon there a couple of years later.  Most romantic place on earth.
I've thought about Bora Bora a couple of times but don't know much about it. Any details?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 02:16:29 pm by Cotton »

Wildhog

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 02:01:15 pm »

We're talking about going back for our ten-year.  Frickin' paradise.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 02:53:12 pm »

Flying in from Tahiti.

Cotton

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 02:54:16 pm »

Beautiful. I've seen the pics of the little huts out over the crystal clear water and would love to experience that.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 02:59:06 pm »

Beautiful. I've seen the pics of the little huts out over the crystal clear water and would love to experience that.

Where we stayed.  Sorry for the water drop on the camera lens.

Wildhog

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2019, 03:31:35 pm »

It's incredible.  We fed sharks from our bungalow every night. 

Wildhog

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 03:32:40 pm »

Where we stayed.  Sorry for the water drop on the camera lens.

Where'd y'all stay JR?  We did the overwater bungalows at the Intercontinental.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 03:50:57 pm »

Where'd y'all stay JR?  We did the overwater bungalows at the Intercontinental.

Excellent eye, my friend.  We were in the last (farthest out) bungalow at the end of the "Y" to the right side.  Intercontinental Resort and Thalosso Spa, or something like that.

Wildhog

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2019, 03:54:45 pm »

Excellent eye, my friend.  We were in the last (farthest out) bungalow at the end of the "Y" to the right side.  Intercontinental Resort and Thalosso Spa, or something like that.

Next time we might just spend the whole trip in Moorea.  Can take the Aremiti ferry over to Papeete if we want to do anything over there, but we just couldn't get enough of Moorea.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 09:07:27 am by Wildhog »

thebignasty

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2019, 06:24:44 pm »

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm also looking for information on this however my situation will be slightly different.

We are looking at a destination for just the 2 of us to go and make it a wedding/honeymoon combo.

There's slight potential that our parents would join but that's very doubtful. Most likely will just be the 2 of us.

I've been trying to talk the lady into something like this because I'd way rather spend all that money on a trip than entertaining family I can barely tolerate, but so far it doesn't look like I'm going to be that lucky, lol.

oldhawg

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2019, 06:28:51 pm »

Lots of nice places in the world to spend a honeymoon, and want to return there to celebrate again.

Can't go wrong with Paris.  Find whatever you are looking for.

My wife and I have returned several times to L'Hotel (formerly Hotel d'Alsace) where Oscar Wilde spent his final days.

https://www.l-hotel.com/are-you-curious/

Oscar Wilde's last words were reportedly “This wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. Either it goes or I do.”

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2019, 07:29:01 pm »

Cinque Terre and Amalfi Coast are both on our Italy wishlist, and cursory searching has had them be relatively reasonable as far as international travel goes cost wise.

Wildhog

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2019, 07:59:52 pm »

Cinque Terre and Amalfi Coast are both on our Italy wishlist, and cursory searching has had them be relatively reasonable as far as international travel goes cost wise.

Nice. One of my best friends lives in Catania, and we’re planning on spending like a month there next year.

Boarcephus

• Houston, hell no we ain't forgettin!!
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2019, 07:29:42 am »

I've thought about Bora Bora a couple of times but don't know much about it. Any details?

We went to Bora Bora on our 30th a few years ago and loved it.  A great way to see French Polynesia is on the Paul Gauguin Cruise Ship because that way you get to experience several different islands.  It's all inclusive, 300+ passenger ship.  Liquor cabinet in each room, balcony,  upscale food, it's plush.  Those over the water bungalows are nice but they aren't cheap and you're restricted to one island and there is a lot to see at the other islands.  Bora Bora is nice but it's still basically a 3rd world country.  IMO, we wouldn't want to spend a week just on that island but it was great to get to go to Bloody Marys.  ;).

waphill

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2019, 07:31:09 am »

Just don't go in the summer if you can help it.

Cotton

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2019, 09:59:53 am »

I've been trying to talk the lady into something like this because I'd way rather spend all that money on a trip than entertaining family I can barely tolerate, but so far it doesn't look like I'm going to be that lucky, lol.
Well our scenario is a little easier because her family is in Mexico and mine is here in God's Country. So logistics for an actual wedding is a nightmare.

Cotton

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2019, 10:05:00 am »

We went to Bora Bora on our 30th a few years ago and loved it.  A great way to see French Polynesia is on the Paul Gauguin Cruise Ship because that way you get to experience several different islands.  It's all inclusive, 300+ passenger ship.  Liquor cabinet in each room, balcony,  upscale food, it's plush.  Those over the water bungalows are nice but they aren't cheap and you're restricted to one island and there is a lot to see at the other islands.  Bora Bora is nice but it's still basically a 3rd world country.  IMO, we wouldn't want to spend a week just on that island but it was great to get to go to Bloody Marys.  ;).
Thanks for the info!

Our two favorite options are Greece/Italy and French Poly right now.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2019, 11:55:04 am »

We did an 11 night Paul Gauguin cruise in 2011.  Five French Polynesian islands and two Cook Islands.  It was one of those "we'll never be able to do this again" vacations, but man, it was epic.  And yes, we ate at Bloody Mary's with our toes in the sand. 

Cotton

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2019, 11:56:15 am »

We did an 11 night Paul Gauguin cruise in 2011.  Five French Polynesian islands and two Cook Islands.  It was one of those "we'll never be able to do this again" vacations, but man, it was epic.  And yes, we ate at Bloody Mary's with our toes in the sand.
There must be more money in Lonoke than I thought...

Boarcephus

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2019, 12:26:27 pm »

We did our 11 night PG cruise in 2011 as well.  My impression of those islands it they're much prettier to look at from the ship than from the actual islands themselves.  It's like we were told, they're French owned, there's plenty of water and fruit to eat and drink so they won't starve and the French gov't will not support them if they choose to do nothing. 

I know I really liked that open bar concept!   I'd walk past one and one of the bartenders would say, "Mr. West, your glass is empty" and I'd say "how in the hell did that happen?  Let's refill it!".   :). On a small ship like that you get to know the crew and that's nice.  We were having dinner one night and asked the waiter if they ever did creme brulee and 10 minutes later every one at our table had one.   You get that personal touch on a ship like this you'll never get on those 3,000 passenger behemoths.

ricepig

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2019, 12:44:03 pm »

Just chase the ambulance down I-40.......

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2019, 12:55:19 pm »

We did our 11 night PG cruise in 2011 as well.  My impression of those islands it they're much prettier to look at from the ship than from the actual islands themselves.  It's like we were told, they're French owned, there's plenty of water and fruit to eat and drink so they won't starve and the French gov't will not support them if they choose to do nothing. 

I know I really liked that open bar concept!   I'd walk past one and one of the bartenders would say, "Mr. West, your glass is empty" and I'd say "how in the hell did that happen?  Let's refill it!".   :). On a small ship like that you get to know the crew and that's nice.  We were having dinner one night and asked the waiter if they ever did creme brulee and 10 minutes later every one at our table had one.   You get that personal touch on a ship like this you'll never get on those 3,000 passenger behemoths.

On nice vacations like that one I'm like a little kid on Christmas morning.  I get up at the crack of dawn because I don't want to miss anything.  So on that cruise, every morning I'd get up for coffee before the sun came up, walk around the deck a few times, then go to the bar at the ship's stern.  The bartender was a Phillippino gentleman (of course, what else?) who would be there setting up for the day.  By day 3 he and I were fast friends and we'd sit and talk, just the two of us over my coffee, for about half an hour.  He still insisted on calling me Mister _____, but other than that it was just good casual conversation while no one else was around.  Made me feel very comfortable.  He got a very nice tip before we disembarked the last day.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2019, 12:56:15 pm »

Just chase the ambulance down I-40.......

When your kinfolks are the ambulance drivers, you don't have to chase very hard. 

Boarcephus

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2019, 06:07:22 pm »

On nice vacations like that one I'm like a little kid on Christmas morning.  I get up at the crack of dawn because I don't want to miss anything.  So on that cruise, every morning I'd get up for coffee before the sun came up, walk around the deck a few times, then go to the bar at the ship's stern.  The bartender was a Phillippino gentleman (of course, what else?) who would be there setting up for the day.  By day 3 he and I were fast friends and we'd sit and talk, just the two of us over my coffee, for about half an hour.  He still insisted on calling me Mister _____, but other than that it was just good casual conversation while no one else was around.  Made me feel very comfortable.  He got a very nice tip before we disembarked the last day.

You can have that relationship with the crew on the smaller ships.  Our 40th Anniversary is next year and we're planning on doing Regent Seven Seas and looking at a cruise out of NY and up through the Northeast and Canada.  The Paul Gauguin was once part of their fleet so it's the same dress, county club casual (ie, slacks and golf shirts for dinner), smaller ships, all inclusive, excursions are included, spirits and wine included plus airfare, etc.

Cotton

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2019, 08:30:49 am »

There's a Mediterranean cruise that I've looked at a few times that leaves out of Spain and hits Italy and Greece. Small ship and not that bad expensive. 

Boarcephus

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2019, 05:05:46 pm »

There's a Mediterranean cruise that I've looked at a few times that leaves out of Spain and hits Italy and Greece. Small ship and not that bad expensive. 

We toyed with a Mediterranean cruise and even a river cruise through Germany but after watching several of the cruises on the AWE, we've backed out and I guess the main reason is neither one of us really cares if we go to Europe or not.  There's still a lot of this country we haven't seen, particularly the northeast and northwest and I think we'll hit those first.

HogPharmer

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2019, 05:18:19 pm »

If you cover my travel costs, I can come take pics for you

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2019, 11:47:31 am »

Minnows are expensive................

HogPharmer

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2019, 12:27:45 pm »

Geez.... I just went and looked at how much that place costs for a week....

Boarcephus

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2019, 02:20:06 pm »

On our cruise they had an option of staying one night while we were in Bora Bora and the rate was a flat $1000 a night. 

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2019, 03:13:40 pm »

I'm sure Jack would let them use his duck blind on his family's minnow farm in Lonoke and only charge them half what Bora Bora costs.

HawgWild

• Left lane, Hey!? Where’s my hammer?
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2019, 03:54:50 pm »

hillbilly, did anyone answer your question?  :)

old hog

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2019, 01:35:25 pm »

Looking to stay in the states, check out Hotel del Coronado in San Diego. Beautiful beaches, fine restaurants and beautiful weather.

hillbilly

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2019, 11:21:47 am »

hillbilly, did anyone answer your question?  :)
Ha! I don't think so, we have been talking about Big Cedar Lodge but that might be a little more expensive than I was hoping. We will see, not sure if that will be cheaper than going to the beach with just a few family members for a couple of days.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2019, 01:35:23 pm »

We were only there 5 nights... 

And we dined and dashed.

But don't tell anybody.

kodiakisland

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2019, 10:51:30 pm »

Any advice/recommendations on this? Just wanting to see what some people have experienced or heard of destination weddings in both a positive or negative way. Not wanting to break the bank for the wedding but don't want it to be something worth remembering either. Any info will be appreciated!

Only experience is from the family, invited guest side and not the one getting married.

In my view, destination weddings are for a small group of people and guests should not be expected to go, especially at their own expense.  It's great if they want to and are able, but not expected.  I've seen families and friends that could not afford to go but felt great pressure from the bride/groom and went into serious debt to attend or became estranged because they couldn't or wouldn't attend.

If you want friends and family there, have it close to home.  If you are OK with very few attending, then go wherever you can afford and have a great time.  Remember, it's not a vacation for those attending.  If they have to take leave from work and spend money to go somewhere they didn't necessarily want to go, it means they aren't getting to do something they would rather do.  A destination wedding is for the bride/groom.  Same applies to brides maids and groomsmen.  They shouldn't have to pay to attend. 

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2019, 07:39:21 am »

Only experience is from the family, invited guest side and not the one getting married.

In my view, destination weddings are for a small group of people and guests should not be expected to go, especially at their own expense.  It's great if they want to and are able, but not expected.  I've seen families and friends that could not afford to go but felt great pressure from the bride/groom and went into serious debt to attend or became estranged because they couldn't or wouldn't attend.

If you want friends and family there, have it close to home.  If you are OK with very few attending, then go wherever you can afford and have a great time.  Remember, it's not a vacation for those attending.  If they have to take leave from work and spend money to go somewhere they didn't necessarily want to go, it means they aren't getting to do something they would rather do.  A destination wedding is for the bride/groom.  Same applies to brides maids and groomsmen.  They shouldn't have to pay to attend. 

Good advice.

ricepig

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2019, 10:18:34 am »

I was reading some article from Forbes/WSJ or something like that online a few weeks ago, it was talking about the debt that bridesmaids were getting into because of weddings. I was interested because I have one just out of college and has about a million “best” friends. Anyway, the article talked about the pressure the bride puts on these girls, probably has been there, with all of her plans. Bachelorette getaway, then the bridesmaids dress, two night stay at some place for the wedding etc. It stated that these girls were maxing out their credit cards doing all the activities involved, some of them having as much as their student loans.

panhandlepig

• don't worry about a thing
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2019, 12:59:45 pm »

Yep.   Our  neice asked  our daughter to be her maid of honor for her upcoming wedding.  At first she felt very honored and thrilled.  Now. Not so much.

I guess the maid of honor is in charge of planning the bachorolette party.  There are 8 bridesmaids.  Yes,  8.  We live on the Florida gulf coast and all the rest of the bridal party live in Mississippi.  We found a house in  Seaside big enough to accommodate  the group,  a pool, golf carts and bikes available at a reasonable price.

I offered as a gift to stock them up with supplies, groceries and stock the bar and have it all ready when they got here.  Nope. They have already "done" 30A.  The bride wants to go to Miami.

Its alot to ask of a bridal party to fork over all that money for a vacation you didnt choose. 

Boarcephus

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2019, 06:18:23 pm »

Guess I've been living under a rock in a cave but had never heard the term "destination weddings" until I saw it here.  The wife said it's because I don't watch the chick shows and she's probably right.   :)

We have a friend who got married a month or two ago and I was shocked when she set up a go fund me page to help pay for it.  Getting married in Banff, Canada at a plush resort.  On her go fund me deal she several categories she wanted money for.  One was we love massages and how much it she needed.  Another was we love to ski and how much she needed for that, another was they have a really plush restaurant, etc.   Guess I was just sort of stunned by the brazenness of it all.

I'm with both of you guys when you say that's an awful to expect from you friends, especially when you consider how many new marriages these days end up in divorce.  It's not out of the realm of possibility that the couple could be divorced while the friends are still paying off the debt the incurred to attend the wedding. 

panhandlepig

• don't worry about a thing
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2019, 06:54:40 pm »

Boar.  I'm shocked too. I was shocked when I saw what parents do for prom for their kids. Now it's over the top birthday parties for  6 year olds.  These kids think they are celebrities  walking the red carpet.

Anyway. Back to regularly  scheduled programming.   One good thing about a destination wedding is you can invite a bunch of people  knowing only a few will show up.

Boarcephus

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2019, 07:32:35 pm »

Boar.  I'm shocked too. I was shocked when I saw what parents do for prom for their kids. Now it's over the top birthday parties for  6 year olds.  These kids think they are celebrities  walking the red carpet.

Anyway. Back to regularly  scheduled programming.   One good thing about a destination wedding is you can invite a bunch of people  knowing only a few will show up.

I showed my wife your post and what you offered to do and she was amazed 
 to have it turned down.   Good for them.  Life is going to slap the crap out of them somewhere down the line.

kodiakisland

« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2019, 07:41:27 pm »

I was reading some article from Forbes/WSJ or something like that online a few weeks ago, it was talking about the debt that bridesmaids were getting into because of weddings. I was interested because I have one just out of college and has about a million “best” friends. Anyway, the article talked about the pressure the bride puts on these girls, probably has been there, with all of her plans. Bachelorette getaway, then the bridesmaids dress, two night stay at some place for the wedding etc. It stated that these girls were maxing out their credit cards doing all the activities involved, some of them having as much as their student loans.

A friend of my daughters sold plasma for 3 months to pay for a bridesmaid dress.  Crazy. 

Boarcephus

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2019, 08:22:58 pm »

A friend of my daughters sold plasma for 3 months to pay for a bridesmaid dress.  Crazy. 

Did she get a trophy for that?  :)  Blows my mind the pressure these kids are under these days to "fit in".  I worked with a girl who she and her husband sold plasma for a down payment on a new home but to pay for a bridesmaid dress blows my mind. 

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2019, 03:51:45 pm »

Did she get a trophy for that?  :)  Blows my mind the pressure these kids are under these days to "fit in".  I worked with a girl who she and her husband sold plasma for a down payment on a new home but to pay for a bridesmaid dress blows my mind.

Dam atheists and infidels!  If they were good, decent church-going folks, they'd have a nice place for free to get married...

kibster

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2019, 03:06:15 pm »

My wife and I did the destination wedding / honeymoon combo.  We were getting married at a time when we didn't have much money and we knew our parents couldn't help out much.  We just did some asking around and landed on the Oregon Coast.  Arch Cape, Oregon to be exact.  It was an amazing place to get married.  Pretty isolated beach with a gorgeous backdrop of the waves and mountains.  We try to go back every year (will be headed there in a couple weeks).
https://www.instagram.com/p/BpA57W7FGmF/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKMqGNGDtl_/ (notice the hogs on the TV, beating TCU)

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2019, 10:16:46 am »

Birthdays, graduations, proms and weddings have all gotten way out of had.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas