• 10,743,960 Posts
• 419,966 Topics
• 24,689 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Walk ons  (Read 1029 times)

#1 STUNNA

Walk ons
« on: August 22, 2019, 10:53:37 pm »

Looks like 4 guys were awarded scholarships tonight!!! Congrats to them!!

#1 STUNNA

Re: Walk ons
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 10:54:43 pm »

Morris , stoudemire, young, and Lindsey

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

31to6

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 11:30:47 pm »

Congratulations. They have worked hard through a lot of challenges.

Glad to see them rewarded.

WPS

PigPusher

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Just another day as a Hog!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 02:29:28 am »

Good for them. Don't you know they are absolutely elated over this happening to them.

Pudgepork

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 04:29:11 am »

Congratulations to the new scholarship athletes. 

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 06:10:45 am »

Good for them. Don't you know they are absolutely elated over this happening to them.

Of course they are and that is awesome! Hard work rewarded. I'm pretty sure that their parents are pretty happy right now as well.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 09:35:54 am »

I guess all 5 are one year or one semester scholarships so they can sign the maximum number in 2020 class?

Luke Jones and who else on the team have already been guaranteed scholarships for 2020 class????

parallaxpig

• Hogvillian
  • Man that ball got outta here in a hurry.
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 09:41:24 am »

Is the new punter Loy on schollie  or walk on?

hawginbigd1

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 09:43:24 am »

I guess all 5 are one year or one semester scholarships so they can sign the maximum number in 2020 class?

Luke Jones and who else on the team have already been guaranteed scholarships for 2020 class????
I highly doubt that any of them are one year except the seniors, Lindsey may be one they would, but I think the other 2 they feel are probably scholarship worthy players, maybe Lindsey as well.

Cotton

• All-American Hogvillian
  • I like my women like I like my coffee, Colombian.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 09:43:58 am »

All scholarships are 1 year scholarships unless the student athlete is slated to graduate in December.

That being said, it is very unlikely the scholarship is not renewed unless there is some kind of problem with the student-athlete.

Many times these late scholarships are given to players that are very good students and will help to keep the APR numbers up. (Not to take away from their hard work on the field because that is also a factor, just being bluntly honest)

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 11:03:08 am »

All scholarships are 1 year scholarships unless the student athlete is slated to graduate in December.

That being said, it is very unlikely the scholarship is not renewed unless there is some kind of problem with the student-athlete.

Many times these late scholarships are given to players that are very good students and will help to keep the APR numbers up. (Not to take away from their hard work on the field because that is also a factor, just being bluntly honest)

At Arkansas, you can pretty well predict which walk-on is going to get a scholarship based solely on where they are in the depth chart.

That said, walk-ons are almost always less athletic than their scholarship counterparts and instead, have to be pretty smart and hard working to become starter or at least in the rotation, so there's likely a strong correlation to good academics as well.

However, plenty of guys like Cooper Sone did well in the classroom but didn't get a scholarship because he wasn't really in the OL rotation.

ricepig

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 11:36:34 am »

Only scholarships that are 1 year are the ones awarded to walkons. Initial full qualifiers are guaranteed 4 years, although we know they can/will/are encouraged to leave if they don’t fit the program.

Cotton

• All-American Hogvillian
  • I like my women like I like my coffee, Colombian.
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 12:39:32 pm »

Only scholarships that are 1 year are the ones awarded to walkons. Initial full qualifiers are guaranteed 4 years, although we know they can/will/are encouraged to leave if they don’t fit the program.
https://informedathlete.com/the-facts-about-guaranteed-multi-year-ncaa-di-scholarships/

In 2015, the NCAA Division I “Power 5” Schools implemented a rule that has the effect of “protecting” Division I student-athletes from having their athletic scholarship cancelled or not renewed for any athletics reason.  Quite simply, a coach cannot take away a scholarship for poor athletic performance.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas