• 10,348,503 Posts
• 409,501 Topics
• 23,408 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SEC Coaches Rank Arkansas #3 Program in SEC  (Read 2395 times)

Smithian

SEC Coaches Rank Arkansas #3 Program in SEC
« on: August 13, 2019, 10:06:52 am »

3. ARKANSAS (84) – The Razorbacks won a national title in 1994 under Nolan Richardson and lost in the championship game the following season. However, Arkansas hasn’t been to the Sweet 16 since 1996. Stan Heath went to the tourney twice in five years, John Pelphrey went once in four seasons and Mike Anderson went three times in eight years. Arkansas ranks in the top three in history, TV exposure, game atmosphere and resources.

Where they win: “It’s one of the few jobs in the league where basketball comes first, and the fans in Arkansas love their Razorbacks. It’s not easy to go into Arkansas and get a kid out of there.” – SEC assistant

The knock: “Fans are still living in the past and compare everything to Nolan Richardson. They haven’t really done anything in 20 years, but the expectations are still high.” – SEC head coach
https://watchstadium.com/news/sec-basketball-coaches-rank-the-best-jobs-in-the-conference-08-07-2019/

This ongoing series by Jeff Goodman going through each conference and ranking jobs is one of my favorite things to read on the internet. I agree with the rankings and comments, except I think LSU and maybe Mizzou should be dropped a few spot.

NoogaHog

• Senior
  • WPS from Southern Appalachia
Re: SEC Coaches Rank Arkansas #3 Program in SEC
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 12:14:37 pm »

I agree, I also think that Auburn should be above Alabama, and Vandy should be higher than 11.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

niels_boar

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 12:49:51 pm »

You do know that Goodman did everything in his power to sabotage CMA his entire tenure here, don't you? You couldn't pay me to read anything he says about basketball, or anything else for that matter.

Fan701

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 01:24:36 pm »

Third sounds about right.  We used to be second until Billy Donovan came along at Florida.  If we don't pick up the pace here soon, and if Barnes keeps having teams close to those of the past two years, Tennessee might pass us.

HognitiveDissonance

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 02:15:28 pm »

Always good to read stuff like that.
We're ranked right where we need to be.
Lot of history in Hog hoops, so we should be higher than Tennessee. But still pleasantly surprised to see it since Tenn has definitely had more success lately.
Actually this is the same logic Yurachek used when making the coaching change. He said when talking to other people this job was perceived as one of the best in the SEC, and he just thought we could do better. Which I agree with. Now it remains to be seen whether the new guy can be the one to deliver on that. But the program has demonstrated in the past it can be an upper echelon job.

redleg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 03:57:24 pm »

These coaches are obviously NOT taking into consideration the entire history of each program. They seem to be basing their conclusions on recent events (the last 20 years), and even then they still get it wrong.
If you are going to try and rank each of the fourteen SEC men's basketball programs according to the team's overall history, then this is where they flesh out...IMO:

1. Kentucky
2. Arkansas
3. Florida
4. LSU
5. Tennessee
6. Miss. State
7. Auburn
8. Georgia
9. Missouri
10. South Carolina
11. Vandy
12. Texas A&M
13. Alabama
14. Ole Miss

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 04:25:40 pm »

https://watchstadium.com/news/sec-basketball-coaches-rank-the-best-jobs-in-the-conference-08-07-2019/

This ongoing series by Jeff Goodman going through each conference and ranking jobs is one of my favorite things to read on the internet. I agree with the rankings and comments, except I think LSU and maybe Mizzou should be dropped a few spot.
If they think Florida's facilities basketball wise are better than ours now they are wrong. I think they are basing the ranking on Florida under Donovan and we have dropped in wins. Florida fans still don't care much about basketball and ours do moreso than theirs.

Paul

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 05:19:34 pm »

I would rank A&M dead last

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 09:49:34 pm »

You do know that Goodman did everything in his power to sabotage CMA his entire tenure here, don't you? You couldn't pay me to read anything he says about basketball, or anything else for that matter.
No, I didn't know that.
Why would a guy like Goodman 'sabotage' CMA? What is the motive? Why would he care?
That's absurd.

I couldn't get the entire link to load earlier in the day, but now I have read the entire article.
Great article.
Everything in there is spot on.
I love the anonymous quotes from the coaches. They're spot on also.

The only quibble I would have is it seems Vandy and Miss St could be higher, maybe.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 08:49:16 am »

Where I thought we would land on the SEC list when we've discussed the previous Goodman conference lists for the Big 12 and ACC.

It isn't just a list done on history.  There is a HUGE dropoff after the Hogs in terms of history. 

I believe Florida was the first in the SEC to build a basketball practice facility.  We were one of the last.  And they remodeled their crappy arena. 

No, I didn't know that.
Why would a guy like Goodman 'sabotage' CMA? What is the motive? Why would he care?
That's absurd.

I couldn't get the entire link to load earlier in the day, but now I have read the entire article.
Great article.

The only quibble I would have is it seems Vandy and Miss St could be higher, maybe.

This opinion from some of Mike's fans goes back many years.  They think Goodman and some other national writers disrespected him and his program here.  They didn't hide or ignore situations. 

pigachu

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 09:31:34 am »

Ranking Florida's facilities better than ours is a joke. With our sparkling new practice facility I would rank us 1 even ahead of Kentucky. Rupp is big, but it is very old and very behind the times in regards to technology.

bkjbearcat

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 10:29:51 am »

Where they win: “It’s one of the few jobs in the league where basketball comes first, and the fans in Arkansas love their Razorbacks. It’s not easy to go into Arkansas and get a kid out of there.” – SEC assistant

Was this guy kidding? In the MA era, it was easy to get a top kid from in state out of Arkansas.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 11:15:36 am »

The national guys tend to get it right. They have no dog in the fight and take emotion completely out of the equation.
I believe it was another guy than Goodman who was talking about MA's tenure here a few years ago.
The word he used was 'underwhelming'
That's the perfect word.
There was quite a bit of hype when MA left Missouri to return to Arkansas. Some felt it was a return to the glory days. (Never mind that Nolan and MA are two different people)
So, considering some of the hype, MA's tenure here was lacking in some ways.
It wasn't bad. It wasn't great.
'Underwhelming'.

Perfect word. The national media can cut through the noise and get it about right, usually.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2019, 11:16:53 am »

Ranking Florida's facilities better than ours is a joke. With our sparkling new practice facility I would rank us 1 even ahead of Kentucky. Rupp is big, but it is very old and very behind the times in regards to technology.
I agree some of the detailed rankings can be quibbled. Our facilities are hard to beat.

But overall, the #3 ranking right now is hard to argue. I think Ark and Florida are really close. You could make a case for Arkansas at #2. But they have two titles and we have one, so that's fine.

niels_boar

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2019, 01:14:08 pm »

No, I didn't know that.
That's absurd.

Great article.

Yeah, he did. He trashed CMA every chance he got because they got into it over the transefer of Pel's players when he took the job.  There is a lot of bad blood there on both sides.  It has traveled to St. John's.  CMA's son had some choice things to say about Goodman on Twitter over his comments when CMA was hired at St. Johns.  The son talks about shouting matches.

niels_boar

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2019, 01:20:04 pm »

Where I thought we would land on the SEC list when we've discussed the previous Goodman conference lists for the Big 12 and ACC.

It isn't just a list done on history.  There is a HUGE dropoff after the Hogs in terms of history. 

I believe Florida was the first in the SEC to build a basketball practice facility.  We were one of the last.  And they remodeled their crappy arena. 

This opinion from some of Mike's fans goes back many years.  They think Goodman and some other national writers disrespected him and his program here.  They didn't hide or ignore situations.

Bull.  Goodman is in a class by himself.  It doesn't have anything to do with ignoring situations. 

VanBurenCHog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2019, 01:27:55 pm »

Jeff Goodman has hated Mike for awhile.

He gave Mike Anderson to St. John’s an F grade and said Mike Anderson was a bad coach while making the grade. Said it would tear the program apart.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2019, 02:56:22 pm »

Think what you want.
I don't see what the complaint is, though.
He gave his opinion on why Anderson wasn't the best fit for St John's.

1)Said he has coached his entire career in Arkansas, Oklahoma, Alabama, and Missouri. What connection does he have to the New York area? May be wrong, but it's a logical question
2)Said it didn't seem like the best fit, considering he was replaced from a job(Arkansas) that seemed to be a perfect fit for him, yet he only had two NCAA wins in eight years(Wofford and Seton Hall). So if he couldn't excel at Arkansas, how would he excel at St John's?
3)Clearly said he didn't think Anderson was a bad coach

I agree with everything he said about MA's record. We know who MA is...he's not bad, and he's not great.

I will differ a little in that every situation is different, and MA could get up there and re-energize and really do well. Maybe he did get a little complacent here, who knows? Anything is possible. This may light a fire in his belly to prove people like Goodman wrong. I also think considering the circumstances Anderson was a really good 'name' hire for St John's who has a 'resume'.

VanBurenCHog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2019, 03:56:30 pm »

Pulled these up from April, Mike and Jeff had a bad encounter a long time ago and Jeff has hated him ever since.

VanBurenCHog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2019, 03:56:56 pm »

!

VanBurenCHog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2019, 03:58:10 pm »

!

VanBurenCHog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2019, 03:59:01 pm »

!

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2019, 04:18:37 pm »

Reading most of these last several posts just reinforces what a pleasure it is to be done with that era.  He's St John's victim coach to protect now.  Nice we've gotten off the topic of the thread where our program garnered some good respect to again head down the path of whining about how Anderson was mistreated.  Recruiting was unfair for him.  Coverage of his program was unfair.  Refs were unfair.  Fans expectations, rules, injuries, lure of the NBA draft, society,...  Not sure how he has made it this long with all of the persecution and bad luck.

Goodman isn't very popular with more coaches than just Mike and fan bases than just ours. 

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2019, 04:26:59 pm »

The national guys tend to get it right. They have no dog in the fight and take emotion completely out of the equation.
I believe it was another guy than Goodman who was talking about MA's tenure here a few years ago.
The word he used was 'underwhelming'
That's the perfect word.
There was quite a bit of hype when MA left Missouri to return to Arkansas. Some felt it was a return to the glory days. (Never mind that Nolan and MA are two different people)
So, considering some of the hype, MA's tenure here was lacking in some ways.
It wasn't bad. It wasn't great.
'Underwhelming'.

Perfect word. The national media can cut through the noise and get it about right, usually.
Sometimes the national media only repeats what they hear from the local media.

HardingHog

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2019, 06:28:43 pm »

This is from the article:

"Here are the eight categories that were utilized to determine the overall rankings.

Tradition – The history of the program
Media Exposure – Games on national television
Game Atmosphere – Includes attendance
Budget/Resources – Includes coaches’ salaries, recruiting budget, travel budget, private planes, cost of attendance, etc.
Buy Games – Programs who are bought the fewest number of times will rank first
Geographical Recruiting Base – Proximity to players
Facilities – Not just the arena, but also practice facilities, weight room, locker rooms, etc.
Selling Pros – Being able to sell not only NBA players, but also those who play overseas"

redleg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2019, 09:46:13 am »

I don't care about St. John's, or Mike Anderson, or Jeff Goodman.

Andersons tenure at Arkansas was, in a word, disappointing.
He did not bring back the swagger. He did not bring back the winning attitude or the winning discipline. he did not recruit very well at all, especially his last couple of classes. He let highly rated in-state players slip through his fingers who could have helped the basketball program in a huge way, mostly because he did not recruit them as hard or as smart as his fellow opposing coaches. He was out-coached on a consistent basis, repeatedly making poor personal choices and not making halftime adjustments.
Mike Anderson is a great person, who is a good coach. But he is not a great coach.

I wish him well at St. John's, but we have a much better head coach now in Eric Musselman.
Maybe in 2024, on the 30th anniversary of the 1994 championship, Anderson can come back to Fayetteville to a round of applause with Nolan and the players.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2019, 09:53:40 am »

--->I wish him well at St. John's, but we have a much better head coach now in Eric Musselman.--->

I won't argue with what you said above, except this.
We don't know that Musselman will do any better than Anderson did.
So I won't say that he is a better coach right now when he hasn't coached a game at Arkansas yet. Key words: 'at Arkansas'. I don't care what these guys did before or after.
I will let time run its course and make that determination later.

To me, the measuring stick is simple: Musselman has to make a Sweet 16 or better, then he will have done better. It's really all about NCAA Tourney success these days.

Fan701

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2019, 10:00:09 am »

He did not bring back the swagger. He did not bring back the winning attitude or the winning discipline. he did not recruit very well at all, especially his last couple of classes. He let highly rated in-state players slip through his fingers who could have helped the basketball program in a huge way, mostly because he did not recruit them as hard or as smart as his fellow opposing coaches. He was out-coached on a consistent basis, repeatedly making poor personal choices and not making halftime adjustments.
Mike Anderson is a great person, who is a good coach. But he is not a great coach.

I wish him well at St. John's, but we have a much better head coach now in Eric Musselman.
I agree that overall MA was a disappointment, but to say he was out-coached on a consistent basis doesn't make much sense considering that only Florida and Kentucky won more SEC games during his tenure than he did, and I think our record is better than Florida's over the past five or six years, after Donovan left.  MA was an upgrade over what went before, but since fans here compare him to Nolan or Eddie, he was bound to disappoint.  BTW, Goodman, has St. Johns rated the fifth best job in the Big East.  I wish him well, too.

redleg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2019, 10:18:54 am »

I agree that overall MA was a disappointment, but to say he was out-coached on a consistent basis doesn't make much sense considering that only Florida and Kentucky won more SEC games during his tenure than he did, and I think our record is better than Florida's over the past five or six years, after Donovan left.  MA was an upgrade over what went before, but since fans here compare him to Nolan or Eddie, he was bound to disappoint.  BTW, Goodman, has St. Johns rated the fifth best job in the Big East.  I wish him well, too.
Mike lost a number of games that the Hogs should have won, and they lost them because his team was out-played (coaches fault for not having his players ready) or they were out-coached (again, coaches fault). It is NOT Anderson's fault that fans wanted him to be the new Nolan, and continuously compared him to Nolan. Yes, Anderson was an upgrade to Heath and Pelphrey. But his tenure was still a big disappointment. Three NCAA Tournament appearances in eight seasons, with a 2-3 Tourney record, no Sweet 16s, no conference or conference tournament titles, and only two of his signing classes were in the Top 25?
Nah!
That is a recipe for disappointment every time.
i agree that we need to wait and see what Musselman can do. I have high hopes! Although the 2019-20 season is not going to be great. They will do well do finish with a winning record. I'm thinking, after the SEC Tourney and any post-season tournaments they might be EXTREMELY lucky to be invited to, this year's rather short team will finish with about 15 to 17 victories.
2020-21 is when the Musselman tenure should blow up!

Fan701

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2019, 10:51:49 am »

Mike lost a number of games that the Hogs should have won, and they lost them because his team was out-played (coaches fault for not having his players ready) or they were out-coached (again, coaches fault). It is NOT Anderson's fault that fans wanted him to be the new Nolan, and continuously compared him to Nolan. Yes, Anderson was an upgrade to Heath and Pelphrey. But his tenure was still a big disappointment. Three NCAA Tournament appearances in eight seasons, with a 2-3 Tourney record, no Sweet 16s, no conference or conference tournament titles, and only two of his signing classes were in the Top 25?
Nah!
That is a recipe for disappointment every time.
i agree that we need to wait and see what Musselman can do. I have high hopes! Although the 2019-20 season is not going to be great. They will do well do finish with a winning record. I'm thinking, after the SEC Tourney and any post-season tournaments they might be EXTREMELY lucky to be invited to, this year's rather short team will finish with about 15 to 17 victories.
2020-21 is when the Musselman tenure should blow up!
No, Mike didn't win 'em all, just most of them.  I'm looking forward to seeing what Muss can do.  I think you're too pessimistic.  We have some very good players returning.  I. Joe may be one of the best.  If we win only 15-17 games this year, I'll start to worry that we've made a bad hire.  I think we have enough talent to be top half of the SEC, all the more so if Vanover is cleared.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2019, 11:43:26 am »

No, Mike didn't win 'em all, just most of them.  I'm looking forward to seeing what Muss can do.  I think you're too pessimistic.  We have some very good players returning.  I. Joe may be one of the best.  If we win only 15-17 games this year, I'll start to worry that we've made a bad hire.  I think we have enough talent to be top half of the SEC, all the more so if Vanover is cleared.

These are simple points but so hard from some to grasp.

ChicoHog

• RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2019, 12:16:04 pm »

that's wrong on both accounts, well at least the first one.  football is king here as it is everyhwere in the league except UK and everyone in the country except a few other schools like Duke, Indiana, UNC, KU and maybe a couple others. 
We have let a few kids get away like Monk, Goodwin, etc., but we get most of them.

31to6

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2019, 12:26:16 pm »

Florida should be ranked ahead of us at this point.

What have you done for me *lately* matters when deciding which job is best, *now*.

We could easily retake that position but we have to start going to F4s again.

Limping into the tourney as an 8+ seed every few years isn't where we need to be.

bkjbearcat

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2019, 01:05:04 pm »

Reading most of these last several posts just reinforces what a pleasure it is to be done with that era.  He's St John's victim coach to protect now.  Nice we've gotten off the topic of the thread where our program garnered some good respect to again head down the path of whining about how Anderson was mistreated.  Recruiting was unfair for him.  Coverage of his program was unfair. Refs were unfair.  Fans expectations, rules, injuries, lure of the NBA draft, society,...  Not sure how he has made it this long with all of the persecution and bad luck.

Goodman isn't very popular with more coaches than just Mike and fan bases than just ours.

Well....we all know the reason why MA didn't succeed in Arkansas....racism.  OK, sarcasm mode off.

bkjbearcat

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2019, 01:06:39 pm »

that's wrong on both accounts, well at least the first one.  football is king here as it is everyhwere in the league except UK and everyone in the country except a few other schools like Duke, Indiana, UNC, KU and maybe a couple others. 
We have let a few kids get away like Monk, Goodwin, etc., but we get most of them.

MA loved him some local 3*'s, while Kentucky got our fives. Maybe that changes with the new guy.

bkjbearcat

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2019, 01:14:27 pm »

Maybe in 2024, on the 30th anniversary of the 1994 championship, Anderson can come back to Fayetteville to a round of applause with Nolan and the players.

MA's biggest mistake was refusing to play the game. Looking back, not playing the game was laziness masqueraded as integrity. Cost the Hogs Monk, Perry and countless Top 100 players who never even considered Arkansas because of it.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2019, 01:18:31 pm »

Well....we all know the reason why MA didn't succeed in Arkansas....racism.  OK, sarcasm mode off.

Mike succeeded here. He just didn't succeed enough. Nice job with the racism flame btw.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2019, 02:15:32 pm »

MA's biggest mistake was refusing to play the game. Looking back, not playing the game was laziness masqueraded as integrity. Cost the Hogs Monk, Perry and countless Top 100 players who never even considered Arkansas because of it.
If you mean cutting corners and cheating, then no. I don't want to play that game.
But the good news is I don't think you *have* to play that game to succeed.
MA was honest, yes. Kudo to him. But he also wasn't a great recruiter, in my opinion. Not a sales guy.

Furthermore, I think in the Monk situation there were people 'playing the game'. It may not have been controlled by Anderson, but someone was playing the game. Nice job for Ms. Monk, house to live in, etc. I have always viewed the whole 'Monk-to-Bentonville' move with great skepticism. It never made any sense. Someone was trying to grease the skids for him to matriculate down to Fayetteville. But it didn't work.

This is just my opinion, of course. I have no proof except the facts I laid out above, plus my own common sense and ability to connect dots.

With Monk, Cal had a better sales pitch than MA. 'I can put you in the NBA', yada yada. Which gets back to my earlier point. MA wasn't the greatest recruiter in the world. If you want to say UK was offering other incentives, well, I think UA was too, unfortunately. Sure seemed that way.

GoshenHog

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2019, 02:22:01 pm »

I seem to remember Goodman misrepresented how Anderson dealt with Rotnei's transfer/release.  I can't be arsed to look it up though.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2019, 02:40:31 pm »

As far as the rankings, the top 8 seemed obvious and the order looks fine.   9-14: AU is lifted up partially by having former players like Charles Barkley and Chuck Person.  UGa has the recruiting base ranking outlier which put them above Vandy.  Ole Miss' new arena put them ahead of MSU although MSU has had more success as a program historically.  And South Carolina is a tough job. 

nonoffensiveposter

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2019, 03:55:54 pm »

CMA did everything in his power to sabotage his own career. Mediocre Mike.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2019, 03:59:14 pm »

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2019, 09:26:31 pm »

I recognize the guys in that clip: Fred G. Sanford, Bubba, Lucky Leroy, and Skillet.

You big dummy.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2019, 09:33:46 pm »

3. ARKANSAS (84) – The Razorbacks won a national title in 1994 under Nolan Richardson and lost in the championship game the following season. However, Arkansas hasn’t been to the Sweet 16 since 1996. Stan Heath went to the tourney twice in five years, John Pelphrey went once in four seasons and Mike Anderson went three times in eight years. Arkansas ranks in the top three in history, TV exposure, game atmosphere and resources.

The knock: “Fans are still living in the past and compare everything to Nolan Richardson. They haven’t really done anything in 20 years, but the expectations are still high.” – SEC head coach.

The last 20 years would have been much different had John White left Frank to do his job after Nolan.

jhogg

• Varsity
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2019, 11:32:13 am »

agree 100%
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas