• 10,348,501 Posts
• 409,501 Topics
• 23,408 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What could Morris do this year  (Read 3203 times)

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
Re: What could Morris do this year
« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2019, 11:56:02 am »

Wouldn't be a coach of the year season as we'd be 3rd or 4th probably in the SEC West.  I do think it's what the coaches realistically expect to achieve this season. 
The biggest difference this year will be player leadership and the mental confidence that we will beat the team in front of us.  None of these QB's are going in hoping to win just one SEC game or that the other team is just too talented for us to compete. 

8-4 would be a shutout in the conference coach of the year results.   He'd be the most lopsided winner in ages.  This is a team that really is a long way away from being just a long way away.

d3maybe

• Varsity
  • Don't argue with the Idiots
« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2019, 12:23:54 pm »

8-4 would be a shutout in the conference coach of the year results.   He'd be the most lopsided winner in ages.  This is a team that really is a long way away from being just a long way away.

I agree... if the Hogs go 8-4 this year it won't be close. If he does all that the expectations will go through the stratosphere and he will be expected to win the SEC next year or there will be folks on Hogville wanting him fired...

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Razorback de Nosferatu

« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2019, 12:29:12 pm »

From what?

The Razorbacks won a bowl game in 2014, finished third in the west in 2015 (had the talent to win 9 or 10 that year), and were in the Belk Bowl in 2016.

Fast forward two years and we are suddenly "a long way away" from being "a long way away"--and that's with a dang fine top 25 2018 recruiting class.

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong. But I'm also not saying you're right, if you're referring to the Hogs simply being decent and competitive again. We are not "a long way away" (x 2) from THAT. From competing for the West? Going to Sugar Bowls? Well, yes.

2-10 should have never happened. That was a catastrophic, embarrassing, historically bad result the likes of which this program had never seen until that point. Include an all-out blitzing by a UNT team whose idea of a good recruiting class is anything better than 80, and you have a scenario that was absolutely defenseless--and it's clouded people's perspective about our program.

Having said that, as bad as Arkansas was in 2018, they realistically could have won four. They still have a roster full of players who were much more highly recruited than 90% of the OOC players they'll see this year. And we are still a program who competes with grit and determination regularly against Ole Miss, LSU, etc. no matter what stats and common knowledge say.

This program collapsed quickly, but it can get back to bowl games and playing respectable, non-embarrassing football very quickly, and there should be clear signs of it this year.

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2019, 12:42:42 pm »

IF, at the end of the year, every single player that has contributed and has not used all his eligibility stays.

No mass exodus!

That will mean that we are on the right path.

Very astute take

snoblind

« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2019, 02:11:13 pm »

According to CFN the Hogs are the #19 football program of ALL TIME... so saying NOBODY can make Arkansas a consistent top 20 team is pure BS...

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/07/ap-college-football-rankings-greatest-programs-of-all-time

Meh. 

The 60's and 70's say hello.  Accounted for over 50% of points when we tied for 2nd and 10th.  Think there was only 1, maybe 2 other decades where we made top 20.

Different time, different world.  Sure was fun growing up and watching the Hogs in those days.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2019, 02:44:12 pm »

From what?

The Razorbacks won a bowl game in 2014, finished third in the west in 2015 (had the talent to win 9 or 10 that year), and were in the Belk Bowl in 2016.

Fast forward two years and we are suddenly "a long way away" from being "a long way away"--and that's with a dang fine top 25 2018 recruiting class.

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong. But I'm also not saying you're right, if you're referring to the Hogs simply being decent and competitive again. We are not "a long way away" (x 2) from THAT. From competing for the West? Going to Sugar Bowls? Well, yes.

2-10 should have never happened. That was a catastrophic, embarrassing, historically bad result the likes of which this program had never seen until that point. Include an all-out blitzing by a UNT team whose idea of a good recruiting class is anything better than 80, and you have a scenario that was absolutely defenseless--and it's clouded people's perspective about our program.

Having said that, as bad as Arkansas was in 2018, they realistically could have won four. They still have a roster full of players who were much more highly recruited than 90% of the OOC players they'll see this year. And we are still a program who competes with grit and determination regularly against Ole Miss, LSU, etc. no matter what stats and common knowledge say.

This program collapsed quickly, but it can get back to bowl games and playing respectable, non-embarrassing football very quickly, and there should be clear signs of it this year.

Exactly. The hogs right now are like a player who stumbled and tripped while running their 40 time leading to a time of 10+ seconds. The people who think we are are a long way away from just being a long way away are the type who just see that time and think, wow, even with a lot of training they'll still only be running a 8 second forty time when in reality, all they have to do is not freaking fall down and they'll easily run under 5 seconds.

That is our team. Give this team average SEC coaching, average development, an average amount of injuries, and average amount of good/bad luck, etc... and they should win 6-8 games.

Problem is, ever since the 2nd half of 2016 mostly, we've had our shoelaces metaphorically untied every race with our shoes falling off, tripping on the laces, etc... Morris came in and got our team to tie their laces finally, but we ended up tying our laces to each other.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2019, 09:03:56 pm »

From what?

This isn't a team that's primed for a fast comeback.  5 wins would be an *achievement* with this roster.     8 wins isn't just a pipe dream-- its a delusion.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2019, 09:10:09 pm »

This isn't a team that's primed for a fast comeback.  5 wins would be an *achievement* with this roster.     8 wins isn't just a pipe dream-- its a delusion.

I'm predicting 6 wins and that's because I've done some research on both Ole Miss and Kentucky.

rhames

« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2019, 09:31:29 pm »

Wouldn't be a coach of the year season as we'd be 3rd or 4th probably in the SEC West.  I do think it's what the coaches realistically expect to achieve this season. 
The biggest difference this year will be player leadership and the mental confidence that we will beat the team in front of us.  None of these QB's are going in hoping to win just one SEC game or that the other team is just too talented for us to compete. 

No. I'm telling you their goal is to make a bowl game. They know what they have, and winning 8 isn't a realistic goal for them in 2019. Sure, they could win 8, but I could also win the lottery

And yes, 8-4 would land Morris COY in the sec and possibly NCAA.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2019, 01:10:43 am »

We have roster loaded with Martell Spaights.

Players who lack elite athleticism to go in those first 3 rounds, but are more than capable of making all-sec lists and getting drafted while having a big impact on the razorbacks.

Spaight in 2013 was so bad, he couldn't beat out the likes of Braylon Mitchell, Austin Jones, or Jarrett Lake. That's how bad our LB group in 2013 was, by the way. Jones couldn't beat a sub 5.0 forty time and he was good enough to be a starter. Mitchell was barely there at 4.89. None of them were really out there making plays either.

6 tfl, 2 sack, 7 pbu, 1 ff, 1 fr. This is what the three of the combined for in terms of impact plays. Contrast that to what Spaight did by himself in 2014.
10.5 tfl, 1 sack, 1 int, 3 pbu, 2 ff, and 1 fr.

The difference was a light switch was flipped for him, in part due to his own efforts, in part due to better coaching he received.

I can easily name you 50 players that have that potential. Who either didn't do squat last year but have the potential to be all conference players who get drafted or sat behind players who didn't do squat because they "squatted" even less.

Unlikely that all 50 of them get that light turned on. However, check out Armon Watts last year. Check out Dre Greenlaw last year even. Greenlaw matched in 9 games under Chavis what he did in 31 games under Bielema. If we get 10 players to get that light switch lipped, we easily go bowling. If we get 20-30 players, that 8 wins becomes much more reasonable. Is that likely? No. Is it delusional? No more delusional than the idea that Spaight was going to be an NFL draftee before 2014 season or that Brandon Allen was going to be an NFL draftee prior to the 2015 season.

The potential is there, hopefully these coaches can flip some switches.

hogcards

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2019, 12:21:28 pm »

I'm predicting 6 wins and that's because I've done some research on both Ole Miss and Kentucky.

With the exception of Danny Ford, every modern day Razorback coach (back to Frank Broyles) was able to take the Hogs to a bowl game in their second season.  Morris doesn't get a pass.  Bowl game or bust.

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #111 on: August 15, 2019, 01:02:35 pm »

While I don't expect that, you actually can justify it.  He's in year 2 and still very reliant on Bielema's talent.  Year 3 is when he has a pretty good stable to show his promise.
Bielema's recruiting classes were 23-29,  CCM was 48 & 23.   Rankings haven't changed enough to make a difference.  He has to get top 15 talent and a top QB (KJ might be it but he is struggling a little at the moment), and future All-SEC lineman.   I want to see CCM out coach somebody and develop the talent he has.  His history says neither of those are likely, which has been my issue with him all along.  He has to recruit SIGNIFCANTLY better than Bielema, because he isn't frankly isn't in the upper echelon of the SEC in terms of on the field coaching.   

I'm not concerned with the number of wins, although if he gets to 6, maybe he did out coach someone.   If players on are the same page, don't commit stupid turnovers or penalties, and improve their technique, then we are improving, even with 4 wins.  Last year he tried to force a square peg into a round hole, and either refused or didn't know how to adjust. 

MDGoHawgs

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2019, 02:56:02 pm »

Our hopes hinge on that OL that killed us last year. If they gel I'm going with 6 wins...if not we're looking at 4 wins and losing one of those non-conference games.

Godfather

« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2019, 03:02:44 pm »

Lets be real.. 
---------------------------------------
2 wins = probably firing talk = hot seat #1
3 wins = the same, just a little less heat. hot seat #10
4 wins is ok.  Here's where he needs to land as a floor.
5 wins is a great step the right direction.  It will be hard to be ok with 5 because we are "so close" to a bowl and we will relive the 1 that got away all off season, but its really pretty good.
6 wins is epic.  From the rag tag disaster he started with, its awesome.  Love it.  Future is good!
7 wins is about the same as 6 except we win the bowl game.  Don't think we'd win another pre-bowl game (a 7-5 season)
8 wins or more is kool aide land. 

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2019, 06:10:48 pm »

Take a look at today's release of the coach's Preseason All-SEC team, if you want an honest evaluation of what people who do it for a living see that he's working with--    we had 3 players make 2nd or 3rd team All Conference.  89 players made the combined preseason All-SEC team.    We had *3*.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2019, 06:28:27 pm »

Take a look at today's release of the coach's Preseason All-SEC team, if you want an honest evaluation of what people who do it for a living see that he's working with--    we had 3 players make 2nd or 3rd team All Conference.  89 players made the combined preseason All-SEC team.    We had *3*.

Well, rewind to 2014 and we had 5 players make the coaches preseason all conference team. 3 on offense, 1 st, and only 1 on defense.

We still sucked on offense and yet our defense was among the best in the country. Spaight ended the season as the coaches pick for first team all conference.

Besides, what should anybody expect? Morris has gotten rid of most of the team and gone for new faces rather than trying to develop older ones. We could have easily only had 2 on that list, but they included Curl.

Again, see my earlier post about this team. We are littered with Martrell Spaight-type players. Spaight couldn't break the starting lineup of one of the worst LB groups in SEC modern history and went to first team all conference with the flip of a mental switch. The coaches new the physical talent was there, it was simply getting the mental part to be able to use that talent. That is where our team is now. Players like Armon Watts are all throughout this team. Just need the coaching staff to help them turn on the lights.

LZH

« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2019, 04:21:37 am »

Geez Guv, if you had only told us this about a thousand times.....
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas