• 10,350,361 Posts
• 409,571 Topics
• 23,412 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It's just this simple...  (Read 492 times)

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Dude I was the cool guy back in 76 look at me now
It's just this simple...
« on: August 12, 2019, 07:13:50 pm »

McIlroy goes back to back and wins the whole FedEx thing. Consistently Rory has struck the ball better than anyone else on tour and I think, no I know, it's time for the long-hitting Northern Irishman to get his putter going. At that point, then order will be restored on the PGA tour. McIlroy will be #1 in the world and the POY on the PGA tour. So let it be written. So let it be done.

EastexHawg

Re: It's just this simple...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 07:56:07 pm »

He should have won this past weekend.  He made seven birdies but shot 2 under Sunday.  I think it may be in his head by now.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 08:31:58 pm »

He should have won this past weekend.  He made seven birdies but shot 2 under Sunday.  I think it may be in his head by now.
Rory's either going to bust out or bust this coming weekend. These shorter golf courses aren't helping Rory at all. They bring too many players who have a chance. Notice Rory and Justin, two of the longest hitters are getting zero advantage for their length off the tee. Medinah, with it's long par 3's and extra long par 5's will put Rory, Justin, Brooks and Rahm as the primary contenders. The past couple of courses were so short on the par 5's that everyone in the field had a shot at the green and putt for eagle. This week will be different. Thank goodness, I'd hate to see Abraham Ancer or Jordan Spieth scrape it around and win. Cannot be done at Medinah. We shall see.

ad: not a huge Jordan Spieth fan...never have enjoyed playing against or watching golfers on TV who can't bust an egg but who scrape it around and make 150 feet of putts each day to remain in contention

EastexHawg

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 09:08:18 pm »

He putted his way to three majors, that's for sure.

Dillar Dog

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 09:24:32 pm »

The kiss of death

Boarcephus

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Houston, hell no we ain't forgettin!!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 07:25:59 am »

ad: not a huge Jordan Spieth fan...never have enjoyed playing against or watching golfers on TV who can't bust an egg but who scrape it around and make 150 feet of putts each day to remain in contention

I understand where you're coming from on JS but everything you hear about him is he's a good guy.  I still remember him giving Jason Day a thumbs up after Day hit a great shot against him.  You'll see him, Day and a few others actually acknowledge a good shot by a competitor but I've never seen Rory do it.  Rory has a little bit of Raymond Floyd in him when it comes to competitors and he said as much when Feherty had him on.

oldman1015

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 08:36:51 am »

The kiss of death
Eventually he will be right.

HognitiveDissonance

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 09:49:03 am »

Rory has to do the work that DJ did a few years ago...spend a lot of time with his wedges and getting his short game compacted and dialed in with the yardages.
DJ had the long game, after the short iron work he became the #1 player.
Same thing with Rory. I can't tell you how many times I'll be watching on TV and he will blast a drive only to hit a poor(by pro standards) short-iron shot. It's clearly his weakness.
Putting also, although he has streaks of great putting. But the main thing I notice is his short irons.

ricepig

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 09:52:54 am »

Rory has to do the work that DJ did a few years ago...spend a lot of time with his wedges and getting his short game compacted and dialed in with the yardages.
Same thing with Rory. I can't tell you how many times I'll be watching on TV and he will blast a drive only to hit a poor(by pro standards) short-iron shot. It's clearly his weakness.
Putting also, although he has streaks of great putting. But the main thing I notice is his short irons.

Wasnít it a few weeks ago they showed the stats of his wedge game? Seems like he was fine from 130 and out, really started going south under that. Yet he bombs his driver down to where itís his weakest part of his game.

Boarcephus

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 10:27:09 am »

Wasnít it a few weeks ago they showed the stats of his wedge game? Seems like he was fine from 130 and out, really started going south under that. Yet he bombs his driver down to where itís his weakest part of his game.

I was curious and did a little research and posted these stats on Rory's iron game and his rank on the PGA Tour a week or so ago.   From 125 out he's salty but from 125 in he's mediocre at best. 

Tour Rankings GIR Distance From Hole.
200-225 T-18
175-200 T-2
125-150 T-10
100-125 T-97
50-75 T-75

ricepig

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 10:31:00 am »

I was curious and did a little research and posted these stats on Rory's iron game and his rank on the PGA Tour a week or so ago.   From 125 out he's salty but from 125 in he's mediocre at best. 

Tour Rankings GIR Distance From Hole.
200-225 T-18
175-200 T-2
125-150 T-10
100-125 T-97
50-75 T-75

I knew I saw it somewhere!

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • 6/27/18: Just another layer of scar tissue
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 11:20:58 am »

I think Koepka has gotten into DJ's head.  Lord knows there's plenty of room in there.

Boarcephus

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 11:23:01 am »

I think Koepka has gotten into DJ's head.  Lord knows there's plenty of room in there.

I think that started when he folded against Reed in the Masters a couple years ago and has been there ever since.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 12:07:59 pm »

I understand where you're coming from on JS but everything you hear about him is he's a good guy.  I still remember him giving Jason Day a thumbs up after Day hit a great shot against him.  You'll see him, Day and a few others actually acknowledge a good shot by a competitor but I've never seen Rory do it.  Rory has a little bit of Raymond Floyd in him when it comes to competitors and he said as much when Feherty had him on.

You have forgotten the deed and Rory Ryder cup match

EastexHawg

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2019, 09:39:03 am »

I just plain don't like Spieth.  He makes me want to throw a brick through the TV with all the talking to the ball, slow play, and mannerisms like going back and touching his security blanket before every shot.  Plus...he's a Texas Longhorn.  The only one I could ever stand was Ben Crenshaw.

I'm glad Linus' run is over.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2019, 11:29:08 am »

Spieth is a good guy and comes from good stock. I think being around his special-needs sister keeps him grounded. He treats her well.
I agree the mike picks up comments sometimes that make him look a little brattish, but I still think he's one of the better dudes out there, as far as being a good person.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2019, 06:59:18 pm »

The kiss of death
You know my pick to win the final tournament at Eastlake. Tell me and the rest of us, who is your pick ? If your guy beats my guy at Atlanta, I'll admit you know more about golf than I, if my guy beats your guy in 'the ATL' you have do the same for me. Deal ?  Or do you just talk a good game ? The bet is on who finishes highest in the FedEx Standings. Go ahead, Koepka is out there, so is DJ. The question is, do you have the mental sack for it ?

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2019, 07:06:36 pm »

Spieth is a good guy and comes from good stock. I think being around his special-needs sister keeps him grounded. He treats her well.
I agree the mike picks up comments sometimes that make him look a little brattish, but I still think he's one of the better dudes out there, as far as being a good person.
Hog, it's not that I don't like Spieth, it's just that his ball striking is horrible. When he came on tour he could make that chicken wing work but he hits it out there about 280 on a 510yd par 4 and has a hybrid (which his ego won't let him hit so he pulls out a 2 iron or 3 iron and flares it out there 30 yds right of the green and to his credit, gets it up and down most of the time. I wonder where his driver distance has gone. He used to hit it out there around 310 or so, but he's nowhere close to that now and his game has suffered for it.

Dillar Dog

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2019, 09:02:02 pm »

You know my pick to win the final tournament at Eastlake. Tell me and the rest of us, who is your pick ? If your guy beats my guy at Atlanta, I'll admit you know more about golf than I, if my guy beats your guy in 'the ATL' you have do the same for me. Deal ?  Or do you just talk a good game ? The bet is on who finishes highest in the FedEx Standings. Go ahead, Koepka is out there, so is DJ. The question is, do you have the mental sack for it ?

My reply was because of what you picking Rory does to him.

I'd like to see him win. So stop telling everyone he will so he can.

EastexHawg

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2019, 09:09:06 pm »

Spieth spent 2-3 years putting like Goosen in the final round of the Open in 2004.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2019, 11:47:02 pm »

My reply was because of what you picking Rory does to him.

I'd like to see him win. So stop telling everyone he will so he can.
Look at it this way, a blind hog has to find an acorn every now and then. Maybe I'll finally be right. God knows I'm due.

GolfNut57

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2019, 05:39:07 pm »

Look at it this way, a blind hog has to find an acorn every now and then. Maybe I'll finally be right. God knows I'm due.

Meanwhile, until that day...........your picks continue to suffer the kiss of death...... ;)

majestic

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2019, 02:01:44 pm »

McIlroy goes back to back and wins the whole FedEx thing. Consistently Rory has struck the ball better than anyone else on tour and I think, no I know, it's time for the long-hitting Northern Irishman to get his putter going. At that point, then order will be restored on the PGA tour. McIlroy will be #1 in the world and the POY on the PGA tour. So let it be written. So let it be done.
Good call.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2019, 11:10:17 pm »

Good call.
Where's your broken down old model ?  I just hope he doesn't embarrass himself in the President's Cup in a few weeks by naming himself a Player-Captain.

Boarcephus

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2019, 11:52:29 am »

I guess this is JT's to lose and I don't see that happening.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2019, 02:56:14 pm »

Well, they are carving up Medinah #3, which is supposedly one of the tougher courses in the country.

Meanwhile, the USGA is just sitting back and letting the golf equipment technology to continue to run rampantly out-of-control.

It may take -20 winning at Augusta National (which could be happening real soon) to finally cause something to be done.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2019, 03:03:49 pm »

Well, they are carving up Medinah #3, which is supposedly one of the tougher courses in the country.

Meanwhile, the USGA is just sitting back and letting the golf equipment technology to continue to run rampantly out-of-control.

It may take -20 winning at Augusta National (which could be happening real soon) to finally cause something to be done.

yeah, any course that gets this amount of rain is going to get carved up.   You really either know little about the game or just can't handle thoughts that involve any little complexity. 

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2019, 06:35:23 pm »

yeah, any course that gets this amount of rain is going to get carved up.   You really either know little about the game or just can't handle thoughts that involve any little complexity.
I'd guess you could have flown to Las Vegas and plopped down 10k and state that you'll take 10/1 that the winning score at Medinah this past weekend would be (-25). Honestly, I'll bet they would have given you 50/1 or even 100/1 totally confident they were going to scoob an easy 10k from you. And you would be a millionaire if you got 100/1 right now. No way, no how could anyone see Medinah getting torn up as it was this weekend.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2019, 06:40:10 pm »

Make the PGA players play with 1975 models of woods, irons and putters. See what they could shoot at Medinah. I'll give them ball in hand and I'd bet the winning score would be no better that (-3) to (-5) and probably not even that good. Make them play balata balls. I'd enjoy watching a tournament like that a couple times a year. Have the PGA make it mandatory to play and see what happens.

ad: I'll guarantee you the faux praising of The King and The Bear would turn into genuine appreciation of what those men really did.

majestic

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2019, 06:59:00 pm »

Why stop there? Let's go back to featherie golf balls and wooden shafts. Then you will respect Old Tom Morris.

GolfNut57

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2019, 07:06:19 pm »

I'd guess you could have flown to Las Vegas and plopped down 10k and state that you'll take 10/1 that the winning score at Medinah this past weekend would be (-25). Honestly, I'll bet they would have given you 50/1 or even 100/1 totally confident they were going to scoob an easy 10k from you. And you would be a millionaire if you got 100/1 right now. No way, no how could anyone see Medinah getting torn up as it was this weekend.

Btw, my cousin Rory asked me to tell you to not pick him anymore. He says you're a jinx.  :)

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2019, 07:15:04 pm »

Is that all you got?  So desperate for something to seem demeaning and you missed.  If you donít think the massive rain leading up the tourney then morning of the rounds didnít play a LARGE factor just shows how little you really know about golf.  When you have US open length rough (according to nbc broadcast) and guys are getting 8 irons to stick from it, a course is going to get lit up.  Letís also consider the Windy City wasnít windy all 4 days. 

Your butthurt that Rory couldnít take advantage of the conditions. We get it, youkiss his poster every night before you go to bed.

majestic

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2019, 10:12:28 pm »

Is that all you got?  So desperate for something to seem demeaning and you missed.  If you donít think the massive rain leading up the tourney then morning of the rounds didnít play a LARGE factor just shows how little you really know about golf.  When you have US open length rough (according to nbc broadcast) and guys are getting 8 irons to stick from it, a course is going to get lit up.  Letís also consider the Windy City wasnít windy all 4 days. 

Your butthurt that Rory couldnít take advantage of the conditions. We get it, youkiss his poster every night before you go to bed.
Ouch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas