• 10,350,336 Posts
• 409,568 Topics
• 23,412 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: a pitching coach  (Read 481 times)

flippinhogmana

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Nathan J Allison - Brothers to the Bone Books
a pitching coach
« on: August 12, 2019, 05:21:26 pm »

long time coming and sorely needed imho.  Hopefully this young lady will make a difference in both existing pitchers and in recruiting. 

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/all-american-taylor-mcquillin-joins-softball-staff/

psycHOGlogist

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Skepticism is a virtue.
Re: a pitching coach
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 06:22:44 pm »

She is a GA, so she canít recruit.

And itís very difficult to make a case that the pitching has been the problem for the softball team the past couple years.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

flippinhogmana

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Nathan J Allison - Brothers to the Bone Books
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 07:42:38 pm »

She is a GA, so she canít recruit.

And itís very difficult to make a case that the pitching has been the problem for the softball team the past couple years.

well, more true for last year than the year before I think.  I dont know how much of last year was just Storms determination and work, and how much was due to coaching.  A couple of years isnt really (to be fair) much of an evaluation of a coaching staff.  Too much can depend on injuries that we may or may not know about, etc.  That Storms had a down year the year before is observable (just as her having a comeback year is) but we dont know why.  The same can be said for Haff's fall off.  But (1) she probably won't be a GA for more than a year (2) If Coach D didnt think we needed that in particular, she probably wouldnt have brought her on.  Anyway, we will see.  I think we will have a bounce back year coming up, regardless.

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 10:57:47 pm »

I hope youíre right, but I am still worried about our defense, especially in the infield.

budweiser35

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 11:12:57 pm »

Braxton will be a HUGE upgrade.....short or 3rd....could play 2nd as well but arm needs to be on left side

Scott7703

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 12:20:46 pm »

Braxton will be a HUGE upgrade.....short or 3rd....could play 2nd as well but arm needs to be on left side

We have to get better in the infield. What are your thoughts on best defensive alignment?

Hicks at 3rd & Burnside at short? One of the youngsters at second?

budweiser35

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 02:35:04 pm »

We have to get better in the infield. What are your thoughts on best defensive alignment?

I would start there....I thought Hicks really needed to work on her release....too long to get rid of the ball...closer to an outfielders arm....but some of that could have been due to her injury....we'll have to see....a quick release is just as or more valuable than a strong arm IMO....I honestly don't know much about the kids coming in so hard for me to say on the alignment....but so many kids can play multiple positions if given the chance....many play multiple positions in travel ball....have read on here many times before that Autumn Russell was a converted outfielder....moved to infield....actually Autumn played infield mostly and mainly 3rd before college....Larabee wanted to move her to outfield because of her speed....same with Bugarin...came here as a SS I believe...so they actually moved back to their original positions...or at least back to the dirt....but I would say Braxton is a guaranteed starter somewhere on the infield...she'll make some errors but some will come trying to make the espn top 10 play... and the rest....tough to know right now but would assume Hicks will be in there somewhere....have heard great things about her as a kid and her work ethic so hopefully healthy this year... assume Parr a fixture in the outfield...obv I'm more familiar with the Arkansas girls....I think she would have had a great year if not for the bs out of the box calls...not saying she wasn't out on some but that rule really hurt the slappers last year and it was so inconsistently called.....not fair IMO....especially when so many pitchers across the country were illegal....but that's another discussion

MrKlem10

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 01:17:37 pm »

Hicks wont be back.

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 03:47:03 pm »

Hicks wont be back.

I was afraid of that. The signs are all there, but I was hoping I was wrong.

Scott7703

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 04:36:12 pm »

Hicks wont be back.

Where is she going?

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 04:53:23 pm »

She is not in the transfer portal, at least according to the Softball America site.  That leads me to believe that she is either retiring from the sport, or that her injury will not allow her to continue competing. Of course, there could be other reasons, as well, but it's not clear what they might be.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas