• 10,747,724 Posts
• 420,045 Topics
• 24,696 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Knoxville Nationals  (Read 902 times)

farfromgroovins

Knoxville Nationals
« on: August 12, 2019, 09:33:26 am »

Anyone follow Knoxville Nationals this year?

David Gravel takes the win for $150k driving the Jason Johnson Racing #41 sprinter just over 1 year after Johnson's fatal accident in June 2018.

https://www.knoxvilleraceway.com/Results.aspx

Buff

• Gold Hogvillian
  • My avatar was the owner throwing the horns
Re: Knoxville Nationals
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 02:39:40 pm »

I missed it live but that was a good race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARj5iyeCzZM

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

farfromgroovins

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 02:41:08 pm »

I didn't catch it live either but watched the replay and read an article.  Gravel had them covered but racing through the field was exciting.

Schuchart finished 2nd after starting 22nd!
I remember watching it on TNN in 1995 when Kinser won it after starting 14th and Jeff Swindell was running him down after starting towards the back (?22nd?).  After the race Jeff mentioned if he had "just a couple more laps" but it's hard to complain about taking home $50k (might have been $20 but 1st paid $100k.)

I got to go to the Nationals in 2013 when Donny Schatz won after starting 21st.  By the time the competition red had been thrown, you could see Schatz working the middle of the track with Brian Brown on the top.  After that red, it was all Schatz.

hawginbigd1

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 06:53:40 pm »

I am going to have to go sometime, it's definitely on the bucket list. Going to knock off the IMCA super nationals in Boone next month.

farfromgroovins

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 08:26:19 pm »

I am going to have to go sometime, it's definitely on the bucket list. Going to knock off the IMCA super nationals in Boone next month.

I assume Boone Nationals is still one to see?
I remember when IMCA first began and IMCA mod specials were popping up all over the country.  I remember Boone being one of the (if not THE) one to win at the time.

The group of guys I go to the Chili Bowl with are trying to come up with one more yearly trip.  Eldora would be one to watch bit that's quite a drive.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 12:04:03 am »

Yeah Eldora would be nice. they have a multitude of events to pick from.  Kings Royal, Dream , and then the trucks weekend

RazrRila99

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 12:09:23 pm »

While personally havent attended, several racing friends have gone.  Boone is one for the ages.  When I was running Mods that was THE race to make and win.  If you won it, you were in lore forever.  Seems it still has quite a bit of prestige too.  While not paying a big purse it still pulls in the crowds to say "I won Super Nats."  If you are making a racing bucket list the Thursday/Friday/Saturday of Boone would be a good one to put on the top. 

SRV

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 08:44:50 pm »

Knoxville and Elora are definitely on my list, but at the top is Florida Speedweeks.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 01:58:34 pm »

Knoxville and Elora are definitely on my list, but at the top is Florida Speedweeks.
yep, but I would prefer Eldora lol

farfromgroovins

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 03:36:56 pm »

For me, the Dream or World 100 at Eldora would be at the top. 
When I went to Knoxville for the Nationals, we were fortunate to watch it from the suites above the National Sprint Car HoF so while I would go again in a heartbeat, it would be hard to beat those seats.

Also scored tickets to Bristol one year for the day race from a coworker.  Her husband knew someone who knew someone who knew Mark Martin.  Tickets had Julian's (Mark's dad) name on them which meant we were just past the flagstand on row 13.  Once again, hard to beat those seats. 

Just like watching good racing.  It could be a couple kids on tricycles as long as it's competitive.

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
  • She thinks my hawgs are sexy
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 04:05:43 pm »

Still hard to beat the late Models at Batesville

Racinray

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2019, 11:05:35 pm »

The WoO finals in Charlotte is a must see too.

SRV

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2019, 07:16:07 pm »

yep, but I would prefer Eldora lol
Stupid fingers

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2019, 07:18:54 pm »

If you like open wheel winged race cars, the Knoxville Nationals is the mecca and the Chili Bowl in Tulsa is killer racing... two of my favorite venues.....

Racinray

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2019, 09:17:09 pm »

If you like open wheel winged race cars, the Knoxville Nationals is the mecca and the Chili Bowl in Tulsa is killer racing... two of my favorite venues.....
Hard to beat the Chili Bowl.

farfromgroovins

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2019, 06:07:52 pm »

For sure hard to beat the chili bowl.  Seen lots of memorable ones there.

DeWayne R

• Hogvillian
  • Seeing the World, One dirt track at a time.
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2019, 03:11:06 pm »

Check out the Prairie Dirt Classic at Fairbury American Legion Speedway for the best racing you'll ever see. We first went in 2015 and have made it a yearly trip. Been to all these being talked about never seen racing as a whole as good as the PDC.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2019, 03:53:19 pm »

While personally havent attended, several racing friends have gone.  Boone is one for the ages.  When I was running Mods that was THE race to make and win.  If you won it, you were in lore forever.  Seems it still has quite a bit of prestige too.  While not paying a big purse it still pulls in the crowds to say "I won Super Nats."  If you are making a racing bucket list the Thursday/Friday/Saturday of Boone would be a good one to put on the top.
1,000,000 %, we went Tuesday and Wednesday to Boone, OMG that was some great racing, and a ton of it. I think 65 races a day is what we watched, we got to see the Stock cars, sport-mods, and Modifieds. When I go back it will be Wednesday-Friday and maybe Saturday. At big races, the heats, qualifiers, and consolation races are my favorites, the main events....meh I can watch them online or on the tube. Its the getting there that usually gives you the best racing.

Those people at Boone have it going on, about 10 heats and they completely re-work the track in under 15-20 minutes and it looks and acts like a brand new racing surface. The first heat or qualifier or maybe 2 are going to be hard to pass, but the rest usually have some great 2 or 3 wide racing. 150 + cars in every class, the pits are absolutely packed to the gills. The stands were well packed but plenty of space to be had on Tuesday and Wednesday. Concessions were about 1980's-90's pricing. It was awesome, about the most amazing event I have been to, when I had no car in the fight.

I will return soon Good Lord willing, I didn't think anything could beat or compete with the chili bowl, but I am torn between calling a favorite.

Oh yeah that was the week of labor day 100 degrees in the shade in Arkansas, 70's to low 80's during the day and you had better have a lite jacket when the sun goes down! That made it even better, and me more miserable when we got ready to go to I-30 Saturday feeling like a freaking million degrees in the shop and outside:)

Racinray

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2019, 06:11:08 pm »

They are putting in new front straight bleachers this year and it opened up some more reserve seating, not sure if they all are gone yet or not, but I was able to land two, been trying for two years.

farfromgroovins

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2019, 08:29:37 am »

They are putting in new front straight bleachers this year and it opened up some more reserve seating, not sure if they all are gone yet or not, but I was able to land two, been trying for two years.

I saw they added more seating.  Is that in turn one?
Or just all new front stretch seating so some more seats were added?  I didn't know where they could squeeze in more butts.

farfromgroovins

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2019, 08:31:38 am »

1,000,000 %, we went Tuesday and Wednesday to Boone, OMG that was some great racing, and a ton of it. I think 65 races a day is what we watched, we got to see the Stock cars, sport-mods, and Modifieds. When I go back it will be Wednesday-Friday and maybe Saturday. At big races, the heats, qualifiers, and consolation races are my favorites, the main events....meh I can watch them online or on the tube. Its the getting there that usually gives you the best racing.

Those people at Boone have it going on, about 10 heats and they completely re-work the track in under 15-20 minutes and it looks and acts like a brand new racing surface. The first heat or qualifier or maybe 2 are going to be hard to pass, but the rest usually have some great 2 or 3 wide racing. 150 + cars in every class, the pits are absolutely packed to the gills. The stands were well packed but plenty of space to be had on Tuesday and Wednesday. Concessions were about 1980's-90's pricing. It was awesome, about the most amazing event I have been to, when I had no car in the fight.

I will return soon Good Lord willing, I didn't think anything could beat or compete with the chili bowl, but I am torn between calling a favorite.

Oh yeah that was the week of labor day 100 degrees in the shade in Arkansas, 70's to low 80's during the day and you had better have a lite jacket when the sun goes down! That made it even better, and me more miserable when we got ready to go to I-30 Saturday feeling like a freaking million degrees in the shop and outside:)

Maybe Boone is the other trip we need to make.  Chili Bowl is our 1x per year and we want to add another.  Boone sounds like fun.

Did you make it to the Short Track a few weeks ago?

hawginbigd1

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2019, 11:53:08 am »

Maybe Boone is the other trip we need to make.  Chili Bowl is our 1x per year and we want to add another.  Boone sounds like fun.

No made it to town but my pops and daughter said they were too tired to go, so I let it pass again, plus Sammy wasn't there:)

hawginbigd1

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2019, 11:55:59 am »

Or just all new front stretch seating so some more seats were added?  I didn't know where they could squeeze in more butts.
Apparently those areas that seemed kind of wasted in turns 1 and 2 they are going to add stands to, not as much space in 2 but there was quite a bit of real estate in turn 1.

Racinray

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2019, 06:06:45 pm »

The letter that the Chili Bowl sent me said the board had bought new grandstands for the front straight, I'm not sure where they are going to be.

RazrRila99

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2019, 05:16:57 pm »

For a decent quick week of racing, when its miserable in Arkansas the Wild West Shootout in Arizona is a good showing.  A week's worth of racing (plus this year Barrett Jackson auction is the same week) for X-Mods (B-Mods in Ark); USTMS Modifieds; and Super Late Models. 

farfromgroovins

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2019, 02:34:51 pm »

For a decent quick week of racing, when its miserable in Arkansas the Wild West Shootout in Arizona is a good showing.  A week's worth of racing (plus this year Barrett Jackson auction is the same week) for X-Mods (B-Mods in Ark); USTMS Modifieds; and Super Late Models.

The year Tim McCreadie (normally a late model driver) won the Chili Bowl, we knew some late model guys running out west (warmer weather) and called them after the Chili Bowl feature.

"Tim McCreadie is the baddest m#$$9 f%*#(* to ever drive a race car!"

"No way!"

"No joke, late model boy just put it on the open wheel guys"

I knew McCreadie was in a good car but didn't give him a chance at winning.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2019, 12:30:42 pm »

The year Tim McCreadie (normally a late model driver) won the Chili Bowl, we knew some late model guys running out west (warmer weather) and called them after the Chili Bowl feature.

"Tim McCreadie is the baddest m#$$9 f%*#(* to ever drive a race car!"

"No way!"

"No joke, late model boy just put it on the open wheel guys"

I knew McCreadie was in a good car but didn't give him a chance at winning.

Tim McCreadie is the real deal.  He's a crazy good racer. 

AllenK

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2019, 07:59:14 pm »

Now TMac is in the Longhorn chassis house car! Competition is tough these days,but I bet he does well in Lucas in 2020.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas