• 10,748,679 Posts
• 420,050 Topics
• 24,696 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vanilla Or Premium Flavor  (Read 1642 times)

Hawgphat

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Vanilla Or Premium Flavor
« on: August 09, 2019, 10:02:29 pm »

Do you anticipate that Morris will plan to keep the Portland State game as vanilla as possible in his offensive scheme in order to head into the Ole Miss game with some element of surprise; - - or do you think that Morris will focus strictly upon polishing the consistency of the execution level of his bread and butter offensive attack, - - at least through the first part of the season, - - forgoing any attempt at maintaining secrecy, preparing "special" plays or formulating subterfuge for later on in the season?  Will he simply let it all hang out right up front and drive full bore?

Ham Bones Jones

Re: Vanilla Or Premium Flavor
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 10:22:53 pm »

ben and jerry's half baked.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

TexHog188

• Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 10:24:42 pm »

Left lane, hammer down, full tilt boogie. CCM will score as many points as possible against Portland St. This team needs confidence and a beat down of PSt  going into Oxford prep week will give them confidence.

PorkSoda

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 10:24:58 pm »

I'm going to guess that we work on our bread and butter.  the only thing teams "save" are trick plays, or possibly a specific play designed to attack a specific weakness of a specific team.  Aside from that we aren't "hiding" anything.  they need practice executing plays, period.

Honestly I don't think what play is called is nearly important as how well the play is executed.

greasy_corner

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 10:32:29 pm »

Good question.  Anything we can do to outsmart the Matt Luke will be helpful.     

twistitup

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 11:18:01 pm »

Twist

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 12:42:49 am »

Do you anticipate that Morris will plan to keep the Portland State game as vanilla as possible in his offensive scheme in order to head into the Ole Miss game with some element of surprise; - - or do you think that Morris will focus strictly upon polishing the consistency of the execution level of his bread and butter offensive attack, - - at least through the first part of the season, - - forgoing any attempt at maintaining secrecy, preparing "special" plays or formulating subterfuge for later on in the season?  Will he simply let it all hang out right up front and drive full bore?

I predict that whatever we do against Portland State, the "great minds" here on Hogville will claim that we "kept it vanilla" and didn't show what we are really capable of.  You know the "we will bring out the 'full' offense when we need it" thing.

Kind of like we did last year against Eastern Illinois . . . lol . . .

I do think we will see the offense get gradually better as the season wears on.  The stats may not reflect it as the qualify of opponent will drastically improve.  So, I do think we'll see some improvement - but not so much because we were "holding back" in the first game.  We probably won't show every play we have in the playbook vs. Portland, but I don't think we'd keep anything "hidden" if the situation called for a given play.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 10:02:17 pm by WizardofhOgZ »

widespreadsooie

• Wearing shoes with no socks in cold weather
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 01:20:46 am »

I don’t think Chad has the option of being vanilla in any game. An absolute throttling of Portland St would be nice momentum for our program, as it saddens me say

Tick Hog

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 01:39:29 am »

The Offense will roll full steam ahead doing what it’s suppose to and that’s taking with the defense is giving them. If all is well instead of dialing back they’ll just plug in different players. If anything is vanilla it will be the defense not showing certain blitz packages.

pigzwillrise

• All-American Hogvillian
  • WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 03:03:08 am »

Likely roll out the full playbook. Lose by a field goal in a heartbreaker.

jkstock04

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2019, 03:07:04 am »

I know that if you see threads like this claiming such it's gonna be an abysmal year similar to last year.

Bacons Rebellion

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2019, 07:26:29 am »

Twist

I'm struggling to come to grips with the clear fact that a thread entitled "Vanilla or Premium Flavor" was not started by twistitup.

AugustaHog

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2019, 07:42:00 am »

There are probably going to be things that we identify about OM that we can exploit.  That may not be the same weakness that PSU has.  We may hold back here or there, but week 1 you will see our full arsenal.  What is exciting is thinking about mop up time and getting to see KJ and some of the young WRs and Spivey.  I don’t subscribe to the vanilla theory.  If we come out lackadaisical like EIU last year, it won’t be because we were holding anything back.  I hope we hang 60 on em quick and mercilessly.  They’re getting paid for what’s about to happen so no qualms on my end.

Mike_e

• May the woo be with you
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2019, 08:17:33 am »

Just as long as any jawjacking that gets done this year is done by us!

Those guys were worse than a muschamp led auburn defense last year except they didn't use a facemask to twist off a guys head.

Hogmatic

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2019, 08:38:33 am »

The Offense will roll full steam ahead doing what it’s suppose to and that’s taking with the defense is giving them. If all is well instead of dialing back they’ll just plug in different players. If anything is vanilla it will be the defense not showing certain blitz packages.

This makes the most sense.  I don't think we will see trick plays.  We need to get the Offense accustomed to the impact of real WRs in the offense and how that spreads the defense and keeps the safeties from committing to run support.   The safeties will have to give the Corners support with the WRs.   The middle of the field is going to be open for CJ/TE, crossing patterns and running lanes.

oldhawg

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2019, 09:04:03 am »

A look at the Vikings (Portland State)

"Viking tight end Charlie Taumoepeau notched another preseason honor this week when he was named Preseason 1st team All-American by Phil Steele Publications. He has now be named first team All-American on no fewer than four preseason lists."

https://goviks.com/news/2019/8/9/football-viking-camp-update-defense-matures-more-preseason-kudos-televised-games-added.aspx

Trick plays should not be needed, just line up and beat them at the line of scrimmage.

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2019, 04:29:34 pm »

The play book is as they say "fluid"
It is an RPO offense which is based on reads.
They idea is to take what the defense gives you. 

There are no secrets to speak of in CCM's offense. (well there may be a trick play or two)
It is primarily a power and zone run offense which sets up the pass.
If anyone wants to know what it is about just google "chad morris offense" and that includes opposing coaches.

We will run somewhere between 80 and 100 plays so the entire play book will NOT be on display.
Every player will have to know what to do on every play for it to be successful.

Last I heard about 60% of the playbook is installed, but that was quite awhile ago.
It all depends on how well the oline knows its responsibilities and the qbs make their reads.
Dang it it comes down to the jimmys and joes again.

Here it is.

"key personnel
The main challenge with building a run game around both inside zone and power is that the guards need to be able to mash people on zone to get movement against the front and understand footwork and combo blocks, but they also must be mobile enough to pull on power and experienced in reading flow on the move.

The second challenge is that the quarterback has to be able to make decisive option reads, plus be quick and tough enough to be the featured runner on power. Unless the quarterback is a dual-threat player, the offense can't fully execute Morris' philosophy."

The above is exactly why we only had about 30% of the offense last year
and with the players we had we certainly couldn't execute that much consistently.

If the oline can make the blocks to get the run game happening it will force the db's
up for run support. Then...............uh hammer down.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/6/10/5782566/clemson-offense-chad-morris

UnknownNobody

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2019, 04:33:06 pm »

The play book is as they say "fluid"
It is an RPO offense which is based on reads.
They idea is to take what the defense gives you. 

There are no secrets to speak of in CCM's offense. (well there may be a trick play or two)
It is primarily a power and zone run offense which sets up the pass.
If anyone wants to know what it is about just google "chad morris offense" and that includes opposing coaches.

We will run somewhere between 80 and 100 plays so the entire play book will NOT be on display.
Every player will have to know what to do on every play for it to be successful.

Last I heard about 60% of the playbook is installed, but that was quite awhile ago.
It all depends on how well the oline knows its responsibilities and the qbs make their reads.
Dang it it comes down to the jimmys and joes again.

Here it is.

"key personnel
The main challenge with building a run game around both inside zone and power is that the guards need to be able to mash people on zone to get movement against the front and understand footwork and combo blocks, but they also must be mobile enough to pull on power and experienced in reading flow on the move.

The second challenge is that the quarterback has to be able to make decisive option reads, plus be quick and tough enough to be the featured runner on power. Unless the quarterback is a dual-threat player, the offense can't fully execute Morris' philosophy."

The above is exactly why we only had about 30% of the offense last year
and with the players we had we certainly couldn't execute that much consistently.

If the oline can make the blocks to get the run game happening it will force the db's
up for run support. Then...............uh hammer down.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/6/10/5782566/clemson-offense-chad-morris

This breakdown from MatchQuarters is very detailed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/matchquarters.com/2018/12/01/the-morris-clemson-offensive-system/amp/

Hog N Bama

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2019, 04:45:42 pm »

A look at the Vikings (Portland State)

"Viking tight end Charlie Taumoepeau notched another preseason honor this week when he was named Preseason 1st team All-American by Phil Steele Publications. He has now be named first team All-American on no fewer than four preseason lists."

https://goviks.com/news/2019/8/9/football-viking-camp-update-defense-matures-more-preseason-kudos-televised-games-added.aspx

Trick plays should not be needed, just line up and beat them at the line of scrimmage.
Our DL/DEs are going to be hungry. I feel sorry for their QB

ChitownHawg

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2019, 05:51:28 pm »

I like french vanilla where you can see the bean. Very yummy.

King Kong

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2019, 06:12:59 pm »

But so much on tape that Ole Piss doesn’t know what to prepare for

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2019, 06:19:22 pm »

Your thoughts?

ChitownHawg

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2019, 06:38:14 pm »

Your thoughts?

Here’s mine. Right or wrong. Probably wrong.  ;D

Play the game and call the plays as you would any other game. Our team is so young we need the game experience that a practice or scrimmage cannot provide.

theFlyingHog

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2019, 07:29:08 pm »

Here’s mine. Right or wrong. Probably wrong.  ;D

Play the game and call the plays as you would any other game. Our team is so young we need the game experience that a practice or scrimmage cannot provide.
Work on the fundamentals and build a solid base upon which we launch the juggernaut. The time is nigh, our time. Hogs are rising.

thebignasty

• This one goes to 11.
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2019, 08:03:58 pm »

I hope we're still dialing up double reverse flea flicker's and onside kicking in the 4th quarter up a hundred.

We've tried being vanilla the first week several years in a row and its not worked to our favor over the course of the season, time to go another direction.

ChitownHawg

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2019, 08:41:57 pm »

I hope we're still dialing up double reverse flea flicker's and onside kicking in the 4th quarter up a hundred.

We've tried being vanilla the first week several years in a row and its not worked to our favor over the course of the season, time to go another direction.

Exactly. If we are going to have any chance in an SEC game our offense has to be respectable. If our strategy is to be vanilla against Portland so we can sneak a play or two on Ole Miss - we ain't winning against Ole Miss. We need the offense working when we travel to play them. Not stepping on the field for the first time to run a play.

Hawgphat

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2019, 10:25:56 pm »

Your thoughts?

My unqualified opinion is that Morris & Co. will opt to play it straight, honing the basic plays as finely as possible and branching out from that scheme incrementally.  Morris quipped today that over half of the offensive schematics are now installed; upwards of 70%, I believe.

In light of the dismal results of last season, I really don't expect Morris to squander any limited, prioritized preparation time and emphasis upon the installation of hybrid trick plays.  I fully expect to see the Hogs run simple, bread and butter plays, for the most part (perhaps with a slight wrinkle here and there), with a greatly increased degree of refinement and efficiency.  That's not a prediction; - - it's simply a considered opinion.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2019, 10:34:32 pm »

Win the game by 24+ put 500 yrds on them and use all the plays you need to do that.  No time to be vanilla.

ChitownHawg

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2019, 10:37:07 pm »

Win the game by 24+ put 500 yrds on them and use all the plays you need to do that.  No time to be vanilla.

Exactly. Call the game as you would any other game. Begin working as a team in a live game situation.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Lazy Uncle Joe looking for a human binky
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2019, 11:54:38 pm »

If we can't line up helmet on helmet  and get 5 yards per play we're going nowhere fast this year anyway. What message do trick plays send to your own team ?  It says the coaches believe we don't have enough talent to line up and just whip a team like Portland St. Which is pretty pathetic. If our 6'4" 320 lb guard cannot get any push on someone he out-weights by 50 lbs we are already in trouble. Line up, mano y mano and see who can do the most damage. Of course if they are putting 8 or 9 within 5 yds of the line of scrimmage, time to break out our young weapons with fast feet. But we still should be able to run the ball on Portland St. no matter how many they put on the line.

PorkSoda

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2019, 12:30:39 am »

If we can't line up helmet on helmet  and get 5 yards per play we're going nowhere fast this year anyway. What message do trick plays send to your own team ?  It says the coaches believe we don't have enough talent to line up and just whip a team like Portland St. Which is pretty pathetic. If our 6'4" 320 lb guard cannot get any push on someone he out-weights by 50 lbs we are already in trouble. Line up, mano y mano and see who can do the most damage. Of course if they are putting 8 or 9 within 5 yds of the line of scrimmage, time to break out our young weapons with fast feet. But we still should be able to run the ball on Portland St. no matter how many they put on the line.
we could have run the ball on CSU.  but we didn't because Morris wanted to work on the passing game.  of course 3-9 vs 2-10 wouldn't have made much of a difference.  point is we need to be able to execute our offense.  passing and rushing, and I don't think morris is going to be satisfied with just running the ball and not getting the QB and WR's sufficient work.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2019, 12:35:31 am »

we could have run the ball on CSU.  but we didn't because Morris wanted to work on the passing game.  of course 3-9 vs 2-10 wouldn't have made much of a difference.  point is we need to be able to execute our offense.  passing and rushing, and I don't think morris is going to be satisfied with just running the ball and not getting the QB and WR's sufficient work.

What kinda crazy are you talking? We ran for 300 yrds on CSU and av nearly 6 yrds a carry.

twistitup

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2019, 12:41:17 am »

What kinda crazy are you talking? We ran for 300 yrds on CSU and av nearly 6 yrds a carry.

True.

But I wish he would have had faith in it at midfield instead of punting

UnknownNobody

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2019, 12:44:35 am »

True.

But I wish he would have had faith in it at midfield instead of punting

Same here...I was screaming at the TV when we punted worried there was too much time and the altitude was going to catch up with us.  Averaging 6 yrds a carry and not going for it was not a good decision.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas