• 10,567,740 Posts
• 416,037 Topics
• 23,901 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone else starting to get the itch?  (Read 645 times)

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Anyone else starting to get the itch?
« on: August 08, 2019, 02:09:35 pm »

Been practicing with my recurve a lot in the last few weeks.

Hawg_E_Style

Re: Anyone else starting to get the itch?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 04:23:38 am »

Been practicing with my recurve a lot in the last few weeks.

I am. On that note, am I the only one that finds it harder and harder to enjoy killing deer? I literally love everything about hunting EXCEPT killing the deer. Thats my least favorite part. Dont get me wrong I love the meat and will continue hunting for that very reason. But over the years I have come to love and respect these animals so much the "blood lust" so to speak has worn off. It got much worse when the wife and I got 2 dogs....I swear I see my dogs when I watch the mannerisms of those deer....IDK its hard to explain. Just wondered if I was the only one to ever feel that way. Probably so

That said, Im pumped about this season. Im a little late because of school, but Im going to put my trail cams out this weekend on labor day weekend. Also I have some clearing to do on the deer lease after they clear cut the area last year.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The Peopleís Mod
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 09:34:16 am »

I am. On that note, am I the only one that finds it harder and harder to enjoy killing deer? I literally love everything about hunting EXCEPT killing the deer. Thats my least favorite part. Dont get me wrong I love the meat and will continue hunting for that very reason. But over the years I have come to love and respect these animals so much the "blood lust" so to speak has worn off. It got much worse when the wife and I got 2 dogs....I swear I see my dogs when I watch the mannerisms of those deer....IDK its hard to explain. Just wondered if I was the only one to ever feel that way. Probably so

That said, Im pumped about this season. Im a little late because of school, but Im going to put my trail cams out this weekend on labor day weekend. Also I have some clearing to do on the deer lease after they clear cut the area last year.

I'm kinda like that until I see those horns. 

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 12:44:49 pm »

Every year I say that I going to max out my tags and give away some of the meat to friends and all that. Every year, I pass up scores of shots and stop at one or two deer.

southeasthog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Resident Inspector
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 06:32:05 am »

I don't know how much I am going to be to hunt this year. I've had shoulder (right shoulder) problems for years. Just aggravating but not bad enough to not be able to do stuff. Tweaked it at the start of summer and went to see the doctor. We both thought torn rotator cuff but he did some xrays also. Came back in the room and said "You have a bone spur the size of Texas". So I put off getting an MRI and got a steroid shot.

Helped some but tweaked it again. And I say "tweaked" I mean pain so bad that my whole arm just shuts down. So I get the MRI. I've known the woman who did it for years so I asked her "What did it look like?" She says "Bad".
 Doc sets me up with an Orthopedic Surgeon. I have a Un-Repairable tear. Shoulder replacement is about the only answer. Surgeon said if I was 10 years older and not working anymore, that is what he would recommend.
I going to therapy right now because the muscle behind my shoulder has Atrophied from non-use. I go back to see him on Sept. 30. I will probably put off surgery until close to retirement.

On a brighter note, I had told him that bowhunting was the thing I was most concerned about. He said what he would do is take a couple of Naproxin about 30 minutes before shooting and then shoot my bow. His words were "You can't do anymore damage to it".

So, yesterday I turned my bow down 6 pounds and went outside and shot it after taking some Naproxin. A little painful but doable. I'll try and hang a loc-on when we get back from Fayetteville next week and see how that goes.

Also, TL;DR  :)

jkstock04

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 01:44:17 pm »

I have zero problems squeezing the trigger on deer...if im going to butcher and eat the animal I have zero remorse or sad feelings over it.

However with that said... confession time of sorts I feel somewhat guilty shooting other varmints and just leaving them lay. My wife is starting to rub off on me I guess with her love for furry animals. I massacred a group of coyotes last year...I was kind of hidden well and they had no idea where the shots were coming from so they were kind of stunned not knowing which way to run. I dropped 4 of them before it was said and done.

Walked up on them and no kidding if you didn't know any better you would think they were someone's domestic pet dogs...pretty coats, clean white teeth. I don't know...in the past when I've killed them they were always nasty and mangy...these last year when I walked up on them were strikingly pretty animals. And pangs of guilt just washed over me... because I had no intention to do anything with them other than leave them lay. If I was going to at least skin them out and take the hide I wouldn't feel so bad...but im not usually into killing just to be killing unless it's a severe menace. It was so bad the following day I had two come up on me and I didn't even raise my gun lol. I won't shoot bobcats for the hell of it either like most people will...I don't have any use for them as far as the hide or trying to mount one. I know coyotes you are supposed to mow them down every chance you get...but I just don't like the way it makes me feel especially when they look like a domestic animal and im just gonna leave them for the crows.

I've killed 2 armadillos in the past month and feel zero remorse, I can tell you that.....you can't have any type of lawn or landscaping with those bastards running rampant. And they wreak havoc on the pastures digging holes...they will cause you to rip an axle in two. I've declared war on them.

Im gonna head out Sunday and get some stuff done...move a couple of stands and hang a feeder. Hopefully put out a couple cameras. This time of year is always a lot of work to shoot a deer ....but I figure if you are gonna do something may as well do it right.

Hawg_E_Style

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 06:59:05 am »

I have zero problems squeezing the trigger on deer...if im going to butcher and eat the animal I have zero remorse or sad feelings over it.

However with that said... confession time of sorts I feel somewhat guilty shooting other varmints and just leaving them lay. My wife is starting to rub off on me I guess with her love for furry animals. I massacred a group of coyotes last year...I was kind of hidden well and they had no idea where the shots were coming from so they were kind of stunned not knowing which way to run. I dropped 4 of them before it was said and done.

Walked up on them and no kidding if you didn't know any better you would think they were someone's domestic pet dogs...pretty coats, clean white teeth. I don't know...in the past when I've killed them they were always nasty and mangy...these last year when I walked up on them were strikingly pretty animals. And pangs of guilt just washed over me... because I had no intention to do anything with them other than leave them lay. If I was going to at least skin them out and take the hide I wouldn't feel so bad...but im not usually into killing just to be killing unless it's a severe menace. It was so bad the following day I had two come up on me and I didn't even raise my gun lol. I won't shoot bobcats for the hell of it either like most people will...I don't have any use for them as far as the hide or trying to mount one. I know coyotes you are supposed to mow them down every chance you get...but I just don't like the way it makes me feel especially when they look like a domestic animal and im just gonna leave them for the crows.

I've killed 2 armadillos in the past month and feel zero remorse, I can tell you that.....you can't have any type of lawn or landscaping with those bastards running rampant. And they wreak havoc on the pastures digging holes...they will cause you to rip an axle in two. I've declared war on them.

Im gonna head out Sunday and get some stuff done...move a couple of stands and hang a feeder. Hopefully put out a couple cameras. This time of year is always a lot of work to shoot a deer ....but I figure if you are gonna do something may as well do it right.

What you are describing is exactly how I feel about killing deer. Its hard for me as I have come to love them so much. I feel guilty for causing anything unnecessary pain. The last time I shot a deer and lost it only to find it 3 days later I almost quit hunting. Knowing that deer died for nothing messed with me a little bit.

I absolutely love hunting though. Could never see myself giving it up. I think these feelings are what remind us that we are human. Animals kill each other all the time with no remorse, but I like to think these types of feelings (aka guilt) are those God given traits that separate us from the baboons. Again, just random thoughts from my sleep-deprived self lol

oldman1015

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 03:46:12 pm »

How old are you? Iíll soon be 55 and feel the same way the last few years. I let the kids kill all the does we need. I hunt big horns and love everything about hunting and camping  life. Having my camp added on to next week. Enjoy sitting on the stand more than ever but enjoy killing less.

Hawg_E_Style

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 11:07:07 pm »

How old are you? Iíll soon be 55 and feel the same way the last few years. I let the kids kill all the does we need. I hunt big horns and love everything about hunting and camping  life. Having my camp added on to next week. Enjoy sitting on the stand more than ever but enjoy killing less.

30. Im an old soul though. Spent A LOT of time around my grandfather growing up. Taught me most of all that I know about hunting, fishing, camping, etc. One of my favorite shows is the Andy Griffith Show because of how it reminds me of my grandpa. Guess Im just ahead of my time as I know most 30 year olds dont feel like I do.

On that note, went out in a swelter and got my camera put out today with a little apple flavored mineral block on a stump. Wont be surprised if its stolen as its on public land, but its way up on a ridge off the road. Someone will have to walk right up on it in the woods to find it. I was ready to put out a second camera WAY back in the public (about a mile and a half walk) but after I stopped at my first spot I realized I forgot my SD card for my second camera at home *facepalm*  I was ticked so brought it back home with me.

I still have to get out on the deer lease and clear out some brush left over from the clear cut last year. Not looking forward to that. Its gonna be HOT and its a mess in there. Gonna need several hours behind a chainsaw to get it good and cleaned up. Probably a weedeater too

cal34

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 03:20:58 pm »

Everything I have shot for the last 12 years has been with a camera. I bought one in 2007 & have hunted with one ever since. All kinds of critters & birds. I still get out there before dawn & sit in the cold. Even wear my Asat leafy suit. It's the same as ground hunting but no bow or gun.

There's no way I could shoot any animal anymore, I've just gotten too close I guess. I still get excited just like i did when i hunted. Good luck this season everyone!

Hog_Swanson

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 12:15:59 pm »

Good morning, Ladies. ;D

thebignasty

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2019, 09:11:03 pm »

Everything I have shot for the last 12 years has been with a camera. I bought one in 2007 & have hunted with one ever since. All kinds of critters & birds. I still get out there before dawn & sit in the cold. Even wear my Asat leafy suit. It's the same as ground hunting but no bow or gun.

There's no way I could shoot any animal anymore, I've just gotten too close I guess. I still get excited just like i did when i hunted. Good luck this season everyone!

That's a beautiful shot.

woodrow hog call

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 10:04:27 am »

I can relate to not being as eager to kill something as I used to be. I have cell phone pics and videos from 6 or 8 deer last year that fed around under me for several minutes. I will still generally take a doe or two with my bow, but I try to be real selective when I do. It's actually a good time to learn and see the reactions of deer when you know you aren't going to shoot them and you can just study them. Those pics and videos are a lot easier to get out of the woods too, part of getting old I guess.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2019, 12:28:13 pm »

I have a lot more enjoyment out of the work and growing a herd.  A few years ago on our land I start to manage what we had and saw it grow into larger bucks, didn't even take one. 

Then fast forward to marrying in to some very prime deer property in Missouri we started to do the same thing three years ago.  Have seen the bucks grow and harvesting bigger and bigger dear each year.  Last year the smallest we killed was a 150-155 inch deer.

oldman1015

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2019, 08:18:45 am »

I have a lot more enjoyment out of the work and growing a herd.  A few years ago on our land I start to manage what we had and saw it grow into larger bucks, didn't even take one. 

Then fast forward to marrying in to some very prime deer property in Missouri we started to do the same thing three years ago.  Have seen the bucks grow and harvesting bigger and bigger dear each year.  Last year the smallest we killed was a 150-155 inch deer.
You married well
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas