• 10,350,376 Posts
• 409,573 Topics
• 23,412 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dallas, TX  (Read 404 times)

HogPharmer

Dallas, TX
« on: August 07, 2019, 08:16:40 pm »

My wife surprised me with a weekend trip to Dallas next weekend. We will get there around 7 or 8 pm Friday night. Leaving Sunday afternoon. We’re staying downtown at the Omni Hotel. Are there any good bars close or anything anyone recommends? I’ve been to Dallas several times but never stayed downtown. I didn’t know if there was a “Bourbon Street” type area where we can Uber to and kind of bar hop.

twistitup

Re: Dallas, TX
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 08:49:43 pm »

My wife surprised me with a weekend trip to Dallas next weekend. We will get there around 7 or 8 pm Friday night. Leaving Sunday afternoon. We’re staying downtown at the Omni Hotel. Are there any good bars close or anything anyone recommends? I’ve been to Dallas several times but never stayed downtown. I didn’t know if there was a “Bourbon Street” type area where we can Uber to and kind of bar hop.

Deep Ellum and Greenville Ave both are bar areas

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Cotton

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Formerly of ESPN 8 "The Ocho"
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 08:43:52 am »

Deep Ellum if you want to see walks of all life on one street. It's a very unique place. If you go, try the Brazilian place at 2am after you leave the bar. 

Uptown is your second best option as its a higher class crowd and tons of bars and restaurants.

Protip: Don't try to get an uber at 2am when all the bars let out. The surge is like 3x normal price.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 09:14:02 am »

I'm more of  sit and drink in the revolving bar/restaurant at Reunion Tower type now.

HogPharmer

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 10:31:59 am »

Is Deep Ellum relatively safe?

Cotton

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 10:33:20 am »

Relative is an interesting word... It felt borderline sketchy.. but I never had any problems there. Just has that eerie feeling.

twistitup

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 11:19:43 am »

I never had problems there or Greenville ave- but it is a big city so there's always a chance of something going wrong

ricepig

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 03:27:41 pm »

Just wear your MAGA hat and you’ll be fine.

HogPharmer

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 03:36:16 pm »

Just wear your MAGA hat and you’ll be fine.

Should I ONLY wear the MAGA hat?

ricepig

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 03:50:01 pm »

Should I ONLY wear the MAGA hat?

That’s up to you.

twistitup

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 05:35:42 pm »

HawgPilot

• Hogvillian
  • Mile High Club- President®
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 02:16:34 pm »

Yep, Gloria's is good.  Too many food choices in the metroplex...

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2019, 05:38:29 pm »

Stop by Deep Ellum Brewing Co. Have a few Dallas Blondes and their Deep Ellum Lager. Both very good and not available in Arkansas.

go hogues

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • You're at an eight but we need you at a two.
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2019, 09:56:10 pm »

It’s perfectly safe.

Try Trinity Groves area for dinner one night. I’d stay away from Uptown - DeltaBravo central.

A great local bar/restaurant that will fly under the radar but is very much worth the visit is ‘Lounge Here’ on Garland Road. 15 minute ride from the Omni. Great food and very cool vibe - like MadMen. Get a reservation though.

Another great local bar is Lee Harvey’s just south and east of downtown.

It’s so hot outside right now but if you do catch a break in the heat, you can walk from your hotel to Klyde Warren Park downtown one evening. There’s always stuff going on over there.

HogPharmer

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2019, 10:32:10 am »

Anyone ever been to Billy Bob's? I've always wanted to go there. Is it a good time or just a bunch of rednecks looking to fight kinda like The Electric Cowboy? Also, a place called The Woodshed Smokehouse. My wife mentioned that to me too. Looking for info. Thanks.

twistitup

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 10:35:24 am »

BB is a tourist attraction

Cotton

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2019, 10:38:11 am »

Anyone ever been to Billy Bob's? I've always wanted to go there. Is it a good time or just a bunch of rednecks looking to fight kinda like The Electric Cowboy? Also, a place called The Woodshed Smokehouse. My wife mentioned that to me too. Looking for info. Thanks.
Billy Bob's is miles above the Electric Cowboy. It's a good time and very rarely gets rowdy. Some great concerts come through there as well. As twist said, it's mostly a tourist trap now.

The Woodshed is alright, was more of an experience/location thing than good food. I prefer renting the Lime bicycles and riding along the river and stopping at the food trailer spots just up from there.

If you're looking for good nightlife and food in Fort Worth, head over to the 7th street area and take your pick.  Rodeo Goat is my favorite eating place, and there's a bar for just about any type of crowd you're looking for.

HogPharmer

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2019, 09:58:18 pm »

Currently in Deep Ellum. Thanks for the recommendations. We’re just hopping down Elm right now. Deep Ellum Blonde was good.

HogPharmer

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2019, 12:51:50 am »

Just met Pudge Rodríguez at our hotel.... best trip ever.

Cotton

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2019, 08:23:31 am »

Waiting for the full report when you get back!

HogPharmer

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2019, 01:02:16 pm »

Got back home yesterday afternoon. We had a good time. The hotel was really nice. I'll have a hard time staying anywhere else anytime we go back down there. Super nice pool, plenty of places to eat and grab drinks on-site. We could have never left the hotel and still had plenty to do.

Went to Deep Ellum Friday night when we got there. Stayed out way too late. Saturday, we were going to go to the Holocaust museum but they are currently closed working on opening their new location across the street or something. So my wife was a little disappointed with that. But we ended up going to the JFK museum in Dealey Plaza. I've always wanted to go to it but never have before this trip. I've always been interested in the JFK presidency and assassination so I thoroughly enjoyed doing that.

Hung out at the pool Saturday afternoon. There's a bar and grill right there next to the grill so you can eat and get drinks and never have to dry off or leave the pool area. Definitely like that.

We stayed at the hotel and ate dinner and hung out at the sports bar Saturday night. Overall, a great short weekend trip. Thanks for all the tips.

Cotton

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2019, 01:25:04 pm »

Got back home yesterday afternoon. We had a good time. The hotel was really nice. I'll have a hard time staying anywhere else anytime we go back down there. Super nice pool, plenty of places to eat and grab drinks on-site. We could have never left the hotel and still had plenty to do.

Went to Deep Ellum Friday night when we got there. Stayed out way too late. Saturday, we were going to go to the Holocaust museum but they are currently closed working on opening their new location across the street or something. So my wife was a little disappointed with that. But we ended up going to the JFK museum in Dealey Plaza. I've always wanted to go to it but never have before this trip. I've always been interested in the JFK presidency and assassination so I thoroughly enjoyed doing that.

Hung out at the pool Saturday afternoon. There's a bar and grill right there next to the grill so you can eat and get drinks and never have to dry off or leave the pool area. Definitely like that.

We stayed at the hotel and ate dinner and hung out at the sports bar Saturday night. Overall, a great short weekend trip. Thanks for all the tips.
Awesome, glad you enjoyed.  What'd you think of Deep Ellum??

HogPharmer

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2019, 02:26:49 pm »

Awesome, glad you enjoyed.  What'd you think of Deep Ellum??

We thoroughly liked it. Took an uber there. There were several different bars with several different vibes to choose from. We found a couple of rooftop places that were pretty cool. We also found a place called Armoury D.E. that we liked. We first went to Deep Ellum brewery but it was several blocks south of the rest of the bars. It was already kind of late and it looked a little unsavory in the immediate area surrounding the brewery so we didn't go in there. Just kept going back up towards the main area of bars. I did find the Deep Ellum blonde at one of the places we went to though. I thought it was pretty good. Couldn't find the lager anywhere though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas