• 10,646,740 Posts
• 417,452 Topics
• 24,453 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another line drive injury, this time a child  (Read 509 times)

HognitiveDissonance

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Another line drive injury, this time a child
« on: May 30, 2019, 02:28:51 pm »

This doesn't spark any new thoughts by me. I've felt the same way for years.

It just boggles my mind why there isn't protective netting all the way down the foul line.
It also boggles my mind how much resistance there is to this.

I don't care how likelihoods and statistics.
I don't want to hear someone say 'just pay attention at the games and you won't get hurt'.

This is a 3-year old child.
A screaming line drive is a deadly flying object.

It could happen again tomorrow.
Personally, I wish someone would sue baseball for a bazillion dollars and win.
I hate today's litigious society, but there are times when it's called for.
This is nothing but gross negligence and they need to be punished severely.
It's a reasonable precaution against a well-known threat...and they're doing nothing about it.

If I were a judge, I would throw the book at them.

oldman1015

Re: Another line drive injury, this time a child
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 08:15:03 pm »

Or don’t take a 3yr old to a baseball game or golf match and sit where they’re in play. Probably a good idea not to stand on the sideline at a football game with them either.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 05:08:08 pm »

This doesn't spark any new thoughts by me. I've felt the same way for years.

It just boggles my mind why there isn't protective netting all the way down the foul line.
It also boggles my mind how much resistance there is to this.

I don't care how likelihoods and statistics.
I don't want to hear someone say 'just pay attention at the games and you won't get hurt'.

This is a 3-year old child.
A screaming line drive is a deadly flying object.

It could happen again tomorrow.
Personally, I wish someone would sue baseball for a bazillion dollars and win.
I hate today's litigious society, but there are times when it's called for.
This is nothing but gross negligence and they need to be punished severely.
It's a reasonable precaution against a well-known threat...and they're doing nothing about it.

If I were a judge, I would throw the book at them.

When I was young I was completely against any extra netting. I would say that it obstructs people’s view and stuff like that. Now that I am older and have children, I am 100% in favor of netting all the way to the foul poles. Some clubs have already decided to make this move and thankfully the Dodgers are one of them. If it only saves one person every 10 years it’s worth it.

joeyself

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 10:18:24 am »

I know I don't like sitting behind it at Arvest, and will get seats that aren't.  But I do understand the teams having to extend the netting to the end of the dugout, and maybe to the foul pole.  I see kids that aren't watching the field at all during the game, and adults looking at their phone while the play is in play.  It's the reality of 2019, and I doubt it is going to change anytime soon.

If sitting in an unprotected area, the adults should be closest to the batter to give them a better chance to catch/block the ball from hitting the child.  That seems like common sense to me, but all too often, I see the adults away from the batter. 

JcS

hoglady

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 08:29:22 am »

Who takes a 3 yr old to a baseball game?? Why??
Figure the cost of a babysitter into the cost of going to a game.

Honestly, if a kid isn't old enough to understand the game it just seems silly to me.
And Lord don't put your kid in a seat where they can get hit by a line drive.
On some things common sense by parents has to come into the equation.

sevenof400

• Is it too late to remember what was best in life?
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 08:33:59 am »

And / or why hasn't technology found a better way yet (instead of the visually distracting netting)? 

Seems like baseball could be proactive here and initiate some sort of competition / program to invent the development of a better method to protect fans from foul balls.

GolfNut57

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 11:26:41 am »

And / or why hasn't technology found a better way yet (instead of the visually distracting netting)? 

Seems like baseball could be proactive here and initiate some sort of competition / program to invent the development of a better method to protect fans from foul balls.

When you figure that one out be sure and get a patent on it. You will be an instant Billionaire.

Meanwhile..............the law of Physics will always be a part of the game. Round bat hitting a round ball thrown in excess of 90mph.....and sometimes 100+mph, can never be mastered by all to the point where foul balls never happen. You may as well start dis-allowing people to sit down the baselines on each side of the diamond. Outfield seating only. IF you truly want to do what it takes to avoid injuries by line drive fouls.

ucahogfan

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 06:41:12 pm »

When you figure that one out be sure and get a patent on it. You will be an instant Billionaire.

Meanwhile..............the law of Physics will always be a part of the game. Round bat hitting a round ball thrown in excess of 90mph.....and sometimes 100+mph, can never be mastered by all to the point where foul balls never happen. You may as well start dis-allowing people to sit down the baselines on each side of the diamond. Outfield seating only. IF you truly want to do what it takes to avoid injuries by line drive fouls.
I believe we will see pretty much all teams install the netting all the way down the lines this offseason or basically to the point where it is all covered.  There will still be balls go into the crowd down the lines, but we will see the netting like we see behind the plate to prevent the screaming line drives when fans do not have much, if any, time to react.

sevenof400

• Is it too late to remember what was best in life?
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 08:44:13 pm »

It seems like I recall MLB trying different solutions previously but the problem of obscured visibility from the netting was still an issue.

With advances in technology, can't we produce a fiber (or some such material) that is less visually obstructive than current netting?  I mean if we can produce fishing line strong enough to reel in sharks, swordfish and such, can't this technology be used in protective netting and make a less visually noticeable barrier? 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas