• 10,347,766 Posts
• 409,484 Topics
• 23,409 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Most Encouraging News from Media Days  (Read 3064 times)

870_hog

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Most Encouraging News from Media Days
« on: July 18, 2019, 06:36:03 am »

Q. Talk about your offensive coordinate/quarterback, Coach Joe Craddock, heís a native of this community, went to Broward Christian and how crucial he is going to be in developing Ben Hicks and Nick Starkel?
CHAD MORRIS: Joe has been with me now going on eight years. He and I think a lot alike. Joe and I have a great working relationship. Iím heavily involved. Iím more involved now than Iíve ever been. Joe knows that. Iíve developed some pretty good quarterbacks along the way too. Heís been underneath me as we recruited and developed those guys.

So I anticipate that when he and I are working together to take Ben Hicks, which had played for us for three years, and now Nick Starkel and John Stephen Jones and K.J. Jefferson, Iím excited about what he and I both can do with those quarterbacks.

Beaverfever

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Your site for Razorback news.
Re: Most Encouraging News from Media Days
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 06:51:49 am »

If one thing is clear from last season it's that Morris was not satisfied with any part of the qb play.   

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

The NewEra

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 08:07:57 am »

I can't argue your choice of most encouraging news .  I've been hoping Morris would have his hand all over the offense and the quarterback development this year.

OneTuskOverTheLineô

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 09:05:54 am »

I can't argue your choice of most encouraging news .  I've been hoping Morris would have his hand all over the offense and the quarterback development this year.
I can... My favorite thing was the uniform statements... Period. Get used to the old look.!!

Con el Cerdos

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 09:38:38 am »

I can... My favorite thing was the uniform statements... Period. Get used to the old look.!!

Proves one thing; Morris keeps his ear to the ground and reacts to what many of the fans want.  Have to say I like it.

Now if he can just elevate the win column.

ricepig

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 09:42:31 am »

Proves one thing; Morris keeps his ear to the ground and reacts to what many of the fans want.  Have to say I like it.

Iím not so sure about that, we were yelling, ďchange the QBĒ last year, no matter which one was in!😀

Hook 'em Hogs

• Senior
  • Macchio or just plain Macho?
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 10:52:49 am »

I don't think it's the fans that drove him to this.  I hope it was his own reflection and review of the entire team culture and atmosphere. 

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 11:03:05 am »

Iím not so sure about that, we were yelling, ďchange the QBĒ last year, no matter which one was in!😀
He did change the QB quite often, sometimes by the quarter. I can't imagine too many teams played 5 QB's last year, and started 3.

Con el Cerdos

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 11:31:44 am »

He did change the QB quite often, sometimes by the quarter. I can't imagine too many teams played 5 QB's last year, and started 3.

I never understood it.  These so-called-QB gurus had the QBs all winter, spring, and fall and still never identified a starting QB.

Might have cost them a win or two.

Easy to take shots now, right?

Con el Cerdos

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 11:39:52 am »

I don't think it's the fans that drove him to this.  I hope it was his own reflection and review of the entire team culture and atmosphere. 

I do.  Sometimes when good things are difficult to achieve (wins), one has to take what he can achieve and go with it.

If the Razorbacks play in the McFadden jerseys every game in Razorback stadium and qualify for a bowl game (and win that) I'll be most happy.

LRRandy

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 12:16:58 pm »

I never understood it.  These so-called-QB gurus had the QBs all winter, spring, and fall and still never identified a starting QB.

I think that he had so little to work with from a talent/skill standpoint at qb that he kept throwing different things at the wall (field) hoping something might work. I think he did the best with what he had.

East TN HAWG

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 11:20:18 am »

Iíve been a critic of Morris, but there is no doubt that he is an excellent OC.  Morris made a lot of great moves on the player personnel side: QB grad trans, juco OCs, WR, etc.  He only made one move on the staff.  He could have easily upgraded a couple of positions. 

Itís exciting news that he is getting more involved with the offense.  If we can move the ball better that will take a lot of pressure off the starting 11 on defense.  Because we do not have the depth on this team yet, fewer snaps on defensive really improves our defense.   This could get us to a bowl.   

Nosboar Accubond

• High-tech Redneck
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 01:05:35 pm »

Its pretty simple... they knew none of them gave us what we really needed, so instead of mail it in for consistency to get another win, they kept experimenting trying to get more than ďa win or twoĒ

Con el Cerdos

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2019, 02:15:25 pm »

Its pretty simple... they knew none of them gave us what we really needed, so instead of mail it in for consistency to get another win, they kept experimenting trying to get more than ďa win or twoĒ

Agree somewhat.  CM preaches consistency; how can you be consistent when you are playing 3 or 4 QBs.

They knew they were in trouble at the QB position and likely the OL.  And, anything close to a winning season was out of reach.  Just have to settle on a guy and go with him.  Do the best one can to get the offense installed and weed out the "problem."  And he did the latter.

For a HC who has always been a winner and knew transition is difficult, that had to be a terrible position to find himself in.

With the obvious talent deficiency CM inherited and select players not willing the accept the coaching change he likely did as well as he could.

Steef

• Idylically living in the Valley of the Cats
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2019, 02:29:51 pm »

It's not like we had lots of options

Mike Irwin

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2019, 02:44:16 pm »

It's not like we had lots of options
The problem from the first week of camp was that Storey was turnover prone. The kid wanted to make a play so bad that he used bad judgement all the time. So They tried Kelley hoping he could process the RPOs. He couldn't.

Story actually improved for several weeks after the North Texas game but he made a huge mistake against Ole Miss and it cost them a shot their only SEC win of the season.

To me where Morris screwed up is when Noland came on against Tulsa and played well, the job should have been his. Instead, as soon as Storey was cleared to play, he was back running the offense and whatever he'd gained over those previous weeks, was lost. He was ineffective the rest of the season.

Water under the bridge. To me Morris has three quarterbacks right now who are better than Storey.

razorbackfaninar

• Senior
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2019, 02:48:51 pm »

In fairness, there were multiple interviews last year with Craddock and Morris where they both were expressing frustration that neither of the quarterbacks were seperating themselves, or taking command of the team or the offense.  That was a good way through fall camp. It was always ďwell Ty did some good things and Cole did some good things, but we are looking for one of them to distance them self from the pack and take control and neither of them are.Ē Now maybe thatís on the coaches, I donít know, but I think they felt like neither of the quarterbacks were what they needed.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2019, 02:50:43 pm »

Q. Talk about your offensive coordinate/quarterback, Coach Joe Craddock, heís a native of this community, went to Broward Christian and how crucial he is going to be in developing Ben Hicks and Nick Starkel?
CHAD MORRIS: Joe has been with me now going on eight years. He and I think a lot alike. Joe and I have a great working relationship. Iím heavily involved. Iím more involved now than Iíve ever been. Joe knows that. Iíve developed some pretty good quarterbacks along the way too. Heís been underneath me as we recruited and developed those guys.

So I anticipate that when he and I are working together to take Ben Hicks, which had played for us for three years, and now Nick Starkel and John Stephen Jones and K.J. Jefferson, Iím excited about what he and I both can do with those quarterbacks.

Honestly, I found Morris' response as being a little odd. The question was about how important Craddock's contribution would be in developing the QB's that the Hogs have and he turned it into an answer about how much he is involved and how much more he is involved now than he has ever been. Why more now, than ever before? Was that a slip? Did Craddock not get done what he wanted to see done last year? I mean, I know that we didn't get the QB play that we needed last year but I believe a lot of that had to do with the limitations of the QB's that we had and the fact that they were in the first year of a different offense that required more time and experience to execute at a high level. Does he blame Craddock for not making the QB's better than they were last year and for that matter, he was there in practice every day, he had to see it too. Why not be "more involved than ever before", last year?

And look, I like Morris and I have hopes he gets this ship turned around and headed in the right direction, but that was just my take from this particular statement.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2019, 02:52:49 pm »

The problem from the first week of camp was that Storey was turnover prone. The kid wanted to make a play so bad that he used bad judgement all the time. So They tried Kelley hoping he could process the RPOs. He couldn't.

Story actually improved for several weeks after the North Texas game but he made a huge mistake against Ole Miss and it cost them a shot their only SEC win of the season.

To me where Morris screwed up is when Noland came on against Tulsa and played well, the job should have been his. Instead, as soon as Storey was cleared to play, he was back running the offense and whatever he'd gained over those previous weeks, was lost. He was ineffective the rest of the season.

Water under the bridge. To me Morris has three quarterbacks right now who are better than Storey.

Mike nails it as usual.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2019, 02:55:24 pm »

This all could be real simple for Coach Morris, but there is a tendency for Coaches to make things more complicated than it needs to be.

He may need to be informed that the following is basically all that is needed to win at a high-level.

An elite Quarterback
An elite Offensive Left Tackle
Two elite Defensive Tackles
An elite Middle Linebacker
An elite shut-down Cornerback

The trick and the work is getting all of the above. 

Pigs in Zen

• Chicoís Bail Bonds
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2019, 02:55:47 pm »

Honestly, I found Morris' response as being a little odd. The question was about how important Craddock's contribution would be in developing the QB's that the Hogs have and he turned it into an answer about how much he is involved and how much more he is involved now than he has ever been. Why more now, than ever before? Was that a slip? Did Craddock not get done what he wanted to see done last year? I mean, I know that we didn't get the QB play that we needed last year but I believe a lot of that had to do with the limitations of the QB's that we had and the fact that they were in the first year of a different offense that required more time and experience to execute at a high level. Does he blame Craddock for not making the QB's better than they were last year and for that matter, he was there in practice every day, he had to see it too. Why not be "more involved than ever before", last year?

And look, I like Morris and I have hopes he gets this ship turned around and headed in the right direction, but that was just my take from this particular statement.

My understanding from that statement was that the team (QB position) was in such a bad position that in order to turn it around itís going to take an ďall hands on deckĒ approach to get this solved. I could be wrong, but thatís was what I took from it.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2019, 04:32:57 pm »

My understanding from that statement was that the team (QB position) was in such a bad position that in order to turn it around itís going to take an ďall hands on deckĒ approach to get this solved. I could be wrong, but thatís was what I took from it.

I wouldn't think that with a guy who has played for you and been in your system for 3 years and another guy who has a "live" arm, experience in the SEC and athleticism, along with two young guys who have played in a similar scheme in HS, that it would require a panic-sticken "all hands on deck" kind of emergency response, this year.

If there was a time for a thought process and a response like that, I would have thought that it would have been last year.

Pigs in Zen

• Chicoís Bail Bonds
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2019, 05:17:47 pm »

I wouldn't think that with a guy who has played for you and been in your system for 3 years and another guy who has a "live" arm, experience in the SEC and athleticism, along with two young guys who have played in a similar scheme in HS, that it would require a panic-sticken "all hands on deck" kind of emergency response, this year.

If there was a time for a thought process and a response like that, I would have thought that it would have been last year.

Thatís not what I meant at all... I sent you a PM. Please get that done. Thank you.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2019, 05:23:49 pm »

Thatís not what I meant at all... I sent you a PM. Please get that done. Thank you.

I guess I didn't understand what you were saying then. I received your PM.

a0ashle

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2019, 05:35:08 pm »

My guess it's not just about the QB room. Its probably more about the importance of year 2.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2019, 06:04:47 pm »

My guess it's not just about the QB room. Its probably more about the importance of year 2.

Could be. I don't know for sure, only the staff knows and maybe some of the media has a better take? His comments just seemed odd to me. Maybe he is feeling the self-imposed pressure of making this a far better team than we showed last year?

UnknownNobody

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2019, 06:34:00 pm »

Could be. I don't know for sure, only the staff knows and maybe some of the media has a better take? His comments just seemed odd to me. Maybe he is feeling the self-imposed pressure of making this a far better team than we showed last year?

I think it was directed towards the fans. Morris was reassuring us he was on it and we will have improved QB play.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2019, 06:42:09 pm »

I think it was directed towards the fans. Morris was reassuring us he was on it and we will have improved QB play.

Again, very well could be. "Coach speak"? Just thought his comments were phrased a little odd when the question was about his OC and QB coach.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2019, 06:44:08 pm »

Again, very well could be. "Coach speak"? Just thought his comments were phrased a little odd when the question was about his OC and QB coach.

Morris has a GA read Hogville everyday and give him a synopsis.

;)

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2019, 07:04:57 pm »

Morris has a GA read Hogville everyday and give him a synopsis.

;)

Ha, ha, ok

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2019, 11:08:00 pm »

If one thing is clear from last season it's that Morris was not satisfied with any part of the qb play.

Other than relatives of those guys or people from Charleston, was anyone satisfied with that debacle? Our opponents were downright giddy with our QB play..

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2019, 11:21:53 pm »

Listening to fans is terrible.    A coach should do what a coach knows best, not what an audience clamors for, because he needs a boost in popularity.

This is not a hopeful sign, to me.

Three and Snout

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2019, 12:30:01 am »

"If you listen to the fans, you'll be sitting up there with them."

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2019, 06:46:20 am »

The fact none of them are really left tells you whatís been going on since last season. 

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2019, 06:52:04 am »

This all could be real simple for Coach Morris, but there is a tendency for Coaches to make things more complicated than it needs to be.

He may need to be informed that the following is basically all that is needed to win at a high-level.

An elite Quarterback
An elite Offensive Left Tackle
Two elite Defensive Tackles
An elite Middle Linebacker
An elite shut-down Cornerback

The trick and the work is getting all of the above.

D ends are far more valuable than DT.  You also just asked for something no college team has year in and year out.  Geese

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2019, 06:54:04 am »

Listening to fans is terrible.    A coach should do what a coach knows best, not what an audience clamors for, because he needs a boost in popularity.

He said in an interview he simply liked these better when he first came here, however these decisions have to be made a year or more in advance with Nike (see lebron lakers numbers issues) so he couldnít get it done last year. 

Mike_e

• May the woo be with you
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2019, 09:37:47 am »

"If you listen to the fans, you'll be sitting up there with them."

Listening to fans and letting them know that you've heard them is needful if you want to keep 'cheeks in the seats'.  An empty stadium is a sure way to lose your job as a head coach.

Not having knee jerk reactions like a fan in the stands but doing what you know to be best leads to longevity.

Fans in the stands also like to point fingers when things aren't going well but a head coach knows that a problem doesn't usually have a single answer but is caused by several issues.  Look at us griping about the OLine for instance.  Who here really thinks there is a simple fix?

Just get more talent?  Great.  What happens when all of those superstars step on each others feet?  Or three of them decide to block the same guy?  What happens if they decide to open up a gaping hole over the left guard and the running back goes around the right side?

We in the stands can say a rising tide lifts all boats.  But the truth of the matter is that if only one side of the boat gets lifted up you're going to have a very wet day.

Paul

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2019, 10:12:39 am »

I agree. In this respect he should have been & needs to be more like Petrino:  in complete control of the offense.

Con el Cerdos

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2019, 10:33:29 am »

In a sense, you're probably right, if the coach is incompetent and just trying to hang on to his job.

That, IMO, is not what Morris is trying to do.  He's a clever coach and understands the fanbase has to be kept reassured that better times are coming.  Something to hold on too.

If you saw his SEC Media Days interview, a lot of what he said was absolutely aimed at the fans.  An appeal possibly, to understand that the Razorbacks are headed in the right direction, but would take some time to return to the "traditional" winning ways of past Razorback teams.

I definitely think Morris listens.  They do have to sell tickets. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas