• 10,665,513 Posts
• 418,036 Topics
• 24,516 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting QB  (Read 12101 times)

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
Re: Starting QB
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2019, 07:16:32 pm »

Agreed, anyone who has watched video of the two knows Starkel is more talented. I could see us being 4-0 going into Kentucky, why change QB’s then? The team would revolt. If we lose to UK, Auburn n Bama a change might be in order. 4 winnable games left, get us bowl eligible and set the tone for 2020.

Why would the team revolt? The team sees each other play in practice every single day. They know who the most talented players are. They would revolt if the qb who gave them the best chance to win wasn't being started in favor of the HC playing favorites.

Now, notice, I haven't mentioned any names yet. For example, if the team sees that Starkel has the better arm but makes too many errors reading the defense compared to Hicks or that Hicks' grasp of the offense outweighs or at least ties Starkel's better arm, then obviously no revolt. However, if they see that Starkel is the clear cut choice and isn't being started, that would be bad. If they see that Hicks is clearly the better option and Starkel is being played, that wouldn't be any better.

Happens all the time that a safe player to start the season gets passed over by a better player later on. Heck, Knile was the backup RB, in 2010, to Green and Wingo even with Dennis Johnson hurt. He was the backup all the way through September and the first four games. Even when he came onto the scene against the aggies in game 5, he was still out carried by Green nearly 2:1. However, even if you ask Knile, he didn't deserve more carries until then because he wasn't showing up during practice. Not until the bye week.

We were 3-1 in 2010 with that one loss being to #1 Bama by 4 points. Don't think the team revolted then about the switch to Knile. Especially since a better ground attack would have likely won us that Bama game as well.

Now sure, if Hicks is out there slinging it for 300 yards a game and killing it, then Starkel better be a heisman trophy finalist to unseat Hicks if we are sitting 4-0 at the bye week. However, if Hicks is looking like many of us expect him to and we are 4-0 in spite of that, or possibly even 3-1, again, team won't revolt assuming that Starkel has shown he deserves to be the starter in practice.

hogsmash12

« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2019, 08:09:59 pm »

I agree 100%...let Nick take his bumps and bruises this year. Hell eveyone is expecting 5-7 or close to it anyways. Why play Hicks at all? Put Nick out there from the jump and let Hicks guide him on the sidelines. If we want to be competitive next year we need to start Nick game one. Mistake...HUGE mistake starting Hicks.

Thought provoking point

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2019, 08:16:42 pm »

Thought provoking point

I disagree and for these reasons. Morris and this team are under the gun after last season. Morris is going to play (at QB) whomever gives us the best chance to be successful and win games. There isn't going to be any of this "playing for next year". They are playing for this year. If "the guy" ends up being Starkel, he will get the start. Until Starkel proves that in practice with regard to knowledge of the offense and ability to make reads at the LOS, it is going to be Hicks, until he shows that he can't get it done. JMO

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Lazy Uncle Joe looking for a human binky
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2019, 08:17:05 pm »

The fact that you can't be honest about what Morris said last year, recognize the statistical proof that proves you're full of beans and that you're actually conceited enough to believe you know better than the coach leads me to trust my nose as to what the exact make up of the stuff is that you're full of..  ;)
He pumped up Ty Storey like he was the second coming. I'm no CCM hater. Quite the opposite but I am more than full of this "rah rah, left lane hammer down, full tilt boogie" which you swallowed like a hungry large mouth bass hitting a 'Lunker lure buzz bait', you swallowed that line all the way to 2-10 and being the laughing stock of the country for a week when North Texas State pulled that punt return on us. I can't be honest ? This isn't a courtroom budrow and I call it as I see it.

I do see CCM and the great job he's done recruiting. I think at this point in time Morris did as well as a Hog fan could possibly ask. Pretty is as pretty does, we'll see.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2019, 08:20:10 pm »

I agree 100%...let Nick take his bumps and bruises this year. Hell eveyone is expecting 5-7 or close to it anyways. Why play Hicks at all? Put Nick out there from the jump and let Hicks guide him on the sidelines. If we want to be competitive next year we need to start Nick game one. Mistake...HUGE mistake starting Hicks.

I totally disagree with you and the poster you quoted. A QB that has not had the time to learn the offense has no business starting. Starkel didn't even arrive on campus until June so there's no way he's had enough time to learn even a fourth of Chad's offense. Hicks however, knows Chad's offense Verbatim and should be the starter this season while Starkel gets some playing time and is learning the offense.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2019, 08:22:40 pm »

I disagree and for these reasons. Morris and this team are under the gun after last season. Morris is going to play (at QB) whomever gives us the best chance to be successful and win games. There isn't going to be any of this "playing for next year". They are playing for this year. If "the guy" ends up being Starkel, he will get the start. Until Starkel proves that in practice with regard to knowledge of the offense and ability to make reads at the LOS, it is going to be Hicks, until he shows that he can't get it done. JMO
You can read defences and get us in the right sets and plays but if you can't execute, you have nothing. I just like the idea of a guy who won the starting position at A&M vs a guy that won the starting position at QB from SMU. If you know anything about horse races, it's sorta like, a 5,000 claimer running 1:10 flat for 6f and put the same horse in a 50,000 claiming race and the winner runs the same exact time 1:10, but the original 5,000 claimer is dead last. I'm saying one guy has performed at the highest level D-1 has to offer, the SEC West and the other guy played in the American Athletic Association. Which horse would you bet on ?

rhames

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2019, 08:24:27 pm »

I totally disagree with you and the poster you quoted. A QB that has not had the time to learn the offense has no business starting. Starkel didn't even arrive on campus until June so there's no way he's had enough time to learn even a fourth of Chad's offense. Hicks however, knows Chad's offense Verbatim and should be the starter this season while Starkel gets some playing time and is learning the offense.

Guv throwing truth bombs

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2019, 08:24:30 pm »

He pumped up Ty Storey like he was the second coming. I'm no CCM hater. Quite the opposite but I am more than full of this "rah rah, left lane hammer down, full tilt boogie" which you swallowed like a hungry large mouth bass hitting a 'Lunker lure buzz bait', you swallowed that line all the way to 2-10 and being the laughing stock of the country for a week when North Texas State pulled that punt return on us. I can't be honest ? This isn't a courtroom budrow and I call it as I see it.

I do see CCM and the great job he's done recruiting. I think at this point in time Morris did as well as a Hog fan could possibly ask. Pretty is as pretty does, we'll see.

Yeah, huge endorsement of Storey. I guess I missed the part where he "pumped up Storey like he was the second coming".

Heading into Week 1, Cole Kelley earned the starting quarterback job for the Arkansas Razorbacks. However, he was ineffective against Eastern Illinois and Ty Storey came in and played much better, making some fans wonder if he’d get the start in Week 2.

On Monday, Arkansas coach Chad Morris didn’t exactly commit to Storey as the starter against Colorado State, but he did say Storey would start the week getting first-team reps (check out the 7:30 mark of the below video):

“This Saturday, we’re going to plan to play both of these quarterbacks,” he said. “They’ll both play. Ty will get the first-team reps starting (Tuesday), and we’ll re-evaluate things as practice goes. I think Ty has earned that right.”

Storey threw for 261 yards and three touchdowns against Eastern Illinois, while Kelley only had 92 yards and a touchdown. Storey also added a rushing touchdown.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/chad-morris-announces-ty-storey-will-begin-practice-with-first-team-unit/

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2019, 08:26:21 pm »

That's like saying play me because I know strategies of 9-ball pool in and out but my stick is weak instead of playing that 8-ball guy with a superior stick but has never played 9-ball. Common sense.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2019, 08:26:36 pm »

Guv throwing truth bombs

Omg...the world is going to end...we agree with Guv

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2019, 08:30:01 pm »

You can read defences and get us in the right sets and plays but if you can't execute, you have nothing. I just like the idea of a guy who won the starting position at A&M vs a guy that won the starting position at QB from SMU. If you know anything about horse races, it's sorta like, a 5,000 claimer running 1:10 flat for 6f and put the same horse in a 50,000 claiming race and the winner runs the same exact time 1:10, but the original 5,000 claimer is dead last. I'm saying one guy has performed at the highest level D-1 has to offer, the SEC West and the other guy played in the American Athletic Association. Which horse would you bet on ?

And no one knows the offense better at this point and the reads that need to be made, and the other is probably still learning. Why you guys think it has to be Starkel from game one for us to be successful is beyond me. Doesn't mean that he won't eventually be the starter (and he may be), but in the beginning we have to trust the staff about who gives us the best chance to be successful when none of us know what is even going on in voluntary practices.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2019, 08:33:06 pm »

Yeah, huge endorsement of Storey. I guess I missed the part where he "pumped up Storey like he was the second coming".

Heading into Week 1, Cole Kelley earned the starting quarterback job for the Arkansas Razorbacks. However, he was ineffective against Eastern Illinois and Ty Storey came in and played much better, making some fans wonder if he’d get the start in Week 2.

On Monday, Arkansas coach Chad Morris didn’t exactly commit to Storey as the starter against Colorado State, but he did say Storey would start the week getting first-team reps (check out the 7:30 mark of the below video):

“This Saturday, we’re going to plan to play both of these quarterbacks,” he said. “They’ll both play. Ty will get the first-team reps starting (Tuesday), and we’ll re-evaluate things as practice goes. I think Ty has earned that right.”

Storey threw for 261 yards and three touchdowns against Eastern Illinois, while Kelley only had 92 yards and a touchdown. Storey also added a rushing touchdown.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/chad-morris-announces-ty-storey-will-begin-practice-with-first-team-unit/
What fun is a forum without hyperbole ?  Everyone in here embellishes and that includes you. I was merely trying to hammer home a point. Disagree if you will but forget trying extoll the virtues of Ty Storey. He was, and this is not hyperbole, the worst QB who started the majority of games in one season that my 4.5 decades of being a Hog fan has seen.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2019, 08:33:33 pm »

That's like saying play me because I know strategies of 9-ball pool in and out but my stick is weak instead of playing that 8-ball guy with a superior stick but has never played 9-ball. Common sense.

Yeah because the Morris Offense is really easy and doesn’t involve others much like 9 ball. Starkel can just throw to himself.

1HourToHogville

« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2019, 08:35:36 pm »

You can bet your bottom dollar this staff feels the need to be bowl eligible when the season is done. 

I speculate Starkel will be the number one due to his talent.  I'd be surprised if has any trouble with the playbook, having played for Kevin Sumlin previously. 
Hicks will play early because you need two ready to go.  Jones and Jefferson will get practice for emergencies.  Let's hope neither are needed this season. 

QB play will be better and how far this team develops depends more on the OL and WR group being effective and Defensive improvement.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2019, 08:38:27 pm »

What fun is a forum without hyperbole ?  Everyone in here embellishes and that includes you. I was merely trying to hammer home a point. Disagree if you will but forget trying extoll the virtues of Ty Storey. He was, and this is not hyperbole, the worst QB who started the majority of games in one season that my 4.5 decades of being a Hog fan has seen.

You were just wrong about him proclaiming Storey as the "second coming", so now you are trying to walk that statement back just because you think that Starkel needs to be the starter this year over Hicks. Heck I don't know if Hicks is the best one to start anymore than you know that Starkel is the best starter. I just know that Hicks probably knows the offense better than any other QB at this time. Who comes out ahead will be determined in fall camp. Emphatic statements either way are probably way off the mark at this point. We will see. I know that doesn't fit your current agenda, but it is the truth nonetheless.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2019, 08:41:56 pm »

Morris will start who's best, his job depends on this season for recruiting going forward. We have to win some, you dont bring a QB like Starkel on without the high probability of him starting. Rumor is hicks wants to be a coach and this was the best way to guranttee him a GA spot after the season.
Seems like I've heard from the higher ups in the coaching staff that this year, "if aren't all in to do it our way, don't even bother showing up"....matter of fact I heard this quote on the afternoon Hog radio show this day. Well, I'd have to question Hick's motives of being here, does he want to be here or is he just biding his time ? After what you posted I feel that what I said about wanting to be here is a legitimate question.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2019, 08:45:07 pm »

You were just wrong about him proclaiming Storey as the "second coming", so now you are trying to walk that statement back just because you think that Starkel needs to be the starter this year over Hicks. Heck I don't know if Hicks is the best one to start anymore than you know that Starkel is the best starter. I just know that Hicks probably knows the offense better than any other QB at this time. Who comes out ahead will be determined in fall camp. Emphatic statements either way are probably way off the mark at this point. We will see. I know that doesn't fit your current agenda, but it is the truth nonetheless.
Agenda ?  Good God man, I just want a chance to win some games that maybe we otherwise wouldn't. I don't think that's a lot to ask. I do appreciate you as a moderator not going off the deep end when I disagreed with you. I'd start you at Moderator General.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2019, 08:56:09 pm »

If you're trying to say that Hicks arm is weak, you are DEAD Wrong.

in 2017, TCU's defense held the Hogs to just 7 points. Pull up the YouTube of the SMU - TCU game later that year and watch what Hicks did to that same TCU defense.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2019, 09:07:44 pm »

Agenda ?  Good God man, I just want a chance to win some games that maybe we otherwise wouldn't. I don't think that's a lot to ask. I do appreciate you as a moderator not going off the deep end when I disagreed with you. I'd start you at Moderator General.

Here's the problem, we don't know which QB gives us the best chance to win more games, yet. We won't know until the season starts so hyperbole is probably best left in check. Maybe Hicks thrives in this environment with better talent surrounding him? Maybe Hicks is the bridge to the time that Starkel learns enough of the offense and reads that he becomes the better solution? Who knows at this point? I know that (and good for him) that Morris chose to give Hicks an opportunity in the spring to witness an SEC Defense coming after him which had to be a great learning experience in terms of both pressure and speed.

Good for the O-Line as well. You never fail, you either succeed or you learn from your mistakes. Either way is good in spring practice. I'd suggest that as opposed to how Petrino scripted scrimmages for the confidence-building success of the offense, this was a reality-check for the offense, helping them to understand what they need to accomplish over the summer. You think that Hicks isn't stressing to the WR's the need to fight to get to their spot quickly so that we have the option to throw to them?

As so many degrade the value of spring practice, I think it was a means of setting a level of what was acceptable and what wasn't for this team. I'm glad he threw the offense to the dogs. It should pay dividends this fall.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2019, 09:11:03 pm »

First you have people agreeing with guv.

Now you and me are both on the exact same page.

Strange times.

lasthog

« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2019, 09:13:21 pm »

Yeah because the Morris Offense is really easy and doesn’t involve others much like 9 ball. Starkel can just throw to himself.

Is that legal?

Nashville Fan

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Come on Hogs!
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2019, 09:15:40 pm »

7 out of the last 10 years AR needed two QBs because of injuries or bad play. Why do you all make a big deal about having two QBs.  Coach would be crazy not to have two ready to go.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2019, 09:20:47 pm »

First you have people agreeing with guv.

Now you and me are both on the exact same page.

Strange times.

Sounds like you are coming around? :)

daBoar

« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2019, 09:25:13 pm »

Disagree if you will but forget trying extoll the virtues of Ty Storey. He was, and this is not hyperbole, the worst QB who started the majority of games in one season that my 4.5 decades of being a Hog fan has seen.
Barry Lunney had really really bad passing stats in 1993, a 106 rating, about 10 points lower than Storey.  More INTs than TDs, and recovered fairly well the next season.

Hawgphat

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2019, 09:53:16 pm »

I have no inkling as to who the most proficient and most advanced QB will prove to be come August 31st.  I trust that Morris will start the QB who has amply demonstrated his claim to #1 in the pecking order AT THAT TIME against Portland State.  Doubtless, some members here will disagree with Morris' selection.

WBOBO

« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2019, 10:39:53 pm »

Why not choose the starter by who the offensive line and receivers/running backs prefer?  Some times a guy that can command
a huddle can get a little more out of his teammates than someone who might be more athletically gifted.  You just don't know, but
I do want this offense on the same page with the coaching staff two weeks prior to opening kick.  False starts, illegal shifts, holding, and for jeez sake DOG should not be acceptable for the starting QB in week 1.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2019, 10:42:12 pm »

Why not choose the starter by who the offensive line and receivers/running backs prefer?  Some times a guy that can command
a huddle can get a little more out of his teammates than someone who might be more athletically gifted.  You just don't know, but
I do want this offense on the same page with the coaching staff two weeks prior to opening kick.  False starts, illegal shifts, holding, and for jeez sake DOG should not be acceptable for the starting QB in week 1.

The Arkansas Offense doesn’t huddle.

WBOBO

« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2019, 10:43:54 pm »

The Arkansas Offense doesn’t huddle.
Good.  Then I shouldn't have to worry about DOG's then.

Tick Hog

« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2019, 12:02:18 am »

Last year CK was a team favorite and seemed to gel with everyone on both sides of the ball. The staff was basically begging him to separate himself and lead. That never happened and we got TS. He was as tough as nails but in my opinion just lacked the talent to win consistently in the SEC. I think we will just have to wait and see if Hicks success in the system can make the talent jump but I have no doubt he’s a leader. Starkle definitely has the arm talent but can he make the quick decisions in year one. It will be fun to watch and we’re in a lot better shape than a year ago.

Muleriderhog

• Hogvillian
  • For the love of God, please hire Drinkwitz
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2019, 12:29:27 am »

Seems like I've heard from the higher ups in the coaching staff that this year, "if aren't all in to do it our way, don't even bother showing up"....matter of fact I heard this quote on the afternoon Hog radio show this day. Well, I'd have to question Hick's motives of being here, does he want to be here or is he just biding his time ? After what you posted I feel that what I said about wanting to be here is a legitimate question.
That isnt what I meant man, Hicks knows he wont play in the NFL but coming here is a guarantee for a GA spot to get into coaching like he wants too. On the other end, Starkel can play his way into being drafted. That doesn't mean Hicks didnt come to compete, and if hes better than Starkel he should start. I just dont think he will be better than Starkel. Sorry if I phrased that wrong, I wasnt intending on questioning Hicks motives. He clearly knows the playbook better than Starkel, I just think Starkel can execute better.

plumbhog

« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2019, 12:54:35 am »

I don't know about all that. I would think Starkel has had a playbook for sometime now. And when you throw in the fact that he graduated A&M with 2 years left he's probably quite capable of learning a playbook pretty quick. Now I'm not saying he will start the first game but I do think it's very possible.

oldman1015

« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2019, 06:30:32 am »

I am now 100% sure it will be Starkel.

Dr. Leonard Ford

« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2019, 06:50:20 am »

I would say you did too many drugs in the 60's. You don't remember Pete Burks?

Or Peanut Adams?

The NewEra

« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2019, 08:40:25 am »

Morris is a Team First Guy.  He owes it to the team, the seniors, the coaches on staff, the fans and the opportunity to recruit to the future to play the QB he thinks will give us the best chance to win.  Anyone that thinks favorites will play into this isn't using common sense.

When all the variables are factored in, there is a very good chance Hicks will start.  He has years in the system, understands exactly what the coaches want from him off the field and on the field on game day.

Starkel will get up to speed pretty quickly, but I find it unlikely he will over take Hicks in Fall Camp and be the game one starter. 

What Hicks needs to be cautious of is having a poor showing in a game.  When you have a guy behind you as talented as Starkel, I suspect the coaches will have you on a very short leash.  Start making errors and getting the team in a bind and you can quickly find yourself riding the pine.  If Starkel does get in and save a game, it could be really tough to get your starting job back.

liljo

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2019, 08:43:43 am »

Morris is a Team First Guy.  He owes it to the team, the seniors, the coaches on staff, the fans and the opportunity to recruit to the future to play the QB he thinks will give us the best chance to win.  Anyone that thinks favorites will play into this isn't using common sense.

When all the variables are factored in, there is a very good chance Hicks will start.  He has years in the system, understands exactly what the coaches want from him off the field and on the field on game day.

Starkel will get up to speed pretty quickly, but I find it unlikely he will over take Hicks in Fall Camp and be the game one starter. 

What Hicks needs to be cautious of is having a poor showing in a game.  When you have a guy behind you as talented as Starkel, I suspect the coaches will have you on a very short leash.  Start making errors and getting the team in a bind and you can quickly find yourself riding the pine.  If Starkel does get in and save a game, it could be really tough to get your starting job back.
Agreed.

Dad: "Kid, don't you lie to me."
Kid: "I'm not lying, Dad! I'm using hyperbole!"

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2019, 09:09:15 am »

I don't know about all that. I would think Starkel has had a playbook for sometime now. And when you throw in the fact that he graduated A&M with 2 years left he's probably quite capable of learning a playbook pretty quick. Now I'm not saying he will start the first game but I do think it's very possible.

It takes a whole lot more than just learning a playbook to learn an offense. Ty Storey had from January through August last year to learn the offense and he barely learned a 4th of it.

Muleriderhog

• Hogvillian
  • For the love of God, please hire Drinkwitz
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2019, 09:36:40 am »

It takes a whole lot more than just learning a playbook to learn an offense. Ty Storey had from January through August last year to learn the offense and he barely learned a 4th of it.
Comparing Storey to Starkel is ridiculous.

Been10Hog

« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2019, 09:45:13 am »

Hicks will start the opener, unless something drastic happens like an injury in camp. If we lay an egg at Ole Miss, Starkel will get his first opportunity to take the reigns. I see CCM giving Starkel the start against aTm regardless of who is starting prior to that. It may be a one game thing or will give Starkel another chance to overtake Hicks. My 2 cents

Tyro3

• Senior
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2019, 09:45:44 am »

It absolutely amazes me that people who have not seen one practice, can say with certainty who is the best qb.
only on Hogville.

OkieBack

« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2019, 09:57:33 am »

It absolutely amazes me that people who have not seen one practice, can say with certainty who is the best qb.
only on Hogville.

True.  I make no predictions here as we simply have not seen enough on the field.  Hicks and Starkel are both competent QB's and I don't think Morris, like last year, will be forced to play whomever can seemingly execute a play.  I believe it will be more who fits the offensive game plan for each week's game because our QB transfers are fully capable of executing plays. 

Good article.  I especially like what he had to say about the defense.  Chavis will have his hands full, but positioning and tackling...basic stuff.  Gotta have those elements to be a successful defense.  Looking forward to seeing these youngsters grow and mature into great ball players.

redhogchilipepper

« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2019, 10:51:26 am »

I don’t know and don’t care who starts. We have more talent at this point than we have had In years. Both have the tools to run this offense. It will be a lot different than last year that’s for sure

hogfansince79

« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2019, 11:02:06 am »

Seriously?  lol

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
  • She thinks my hawgs are sexy
« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2019, 11:06:31 am »

That isnt what I meant man, Hicks knows he wont play in the NFL but coming here is a guarantee for a GA spot to get into coaching like he wants too. On the other end, Starkel can play his way into being drafted. That doesn't mean Hicks didnt come to compete, and if hes better than Starkel he should start. I just dont think he will be better than Starkel. Sorry if I phrased that wrong, I wasnt intending on questioning Hicks motives. He clearly knows the playbook better than Starkel, I just think Starkel can execute better.
how do you execute plays you don't know . this is a complex system and he doesn't know all the terminology to call plays or set the offense . Stark will have to work his way into it. 1969, to use your post , I have an average to good horse who has ran before and knows where to go and how. You have a super fast horse that has no clue and runs the wrong way . Who you betting on ? . It does no good to have more talent if you don't know what you are doing . this isn't 1969 where you only have a few plays to run

hogfansince79

« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2019, 11:09:53 am »

Here's what Mike Woods said the other day in the DG...

Woods gushes when he talks about what the arrival of Hicks means to the Arkansas offense. The graduate transfer from SMU is like an extra coach for those still trying to learn the nuances of the Morris offense. Woods also had praise for the holdover quarterbacks and the highly anticipated arrival of Texas A&M transfer Nick Starkel.

“But Ben was the guy who helped show me around when I took my visit to SMU,” Woods said. “So, yes, I thought I’d be playing with him.

“So when he got here, we already had a chemistry. The rest of our guys didn’t take long to get to the same spot. He’s our on-field leader, and he’s pretty much been like that from his first day here.

“I’m going to be around him as much as I can. He’s in the offices watching tape almost all the time, and I want to be right there beside him.

“You watch tape with your quarterback, then you understand how to make the adjustments on the field.”

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2019/jul/12/state-hogs-woods-ready-lead-wide-receivers/

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2019, 11:11:37 am »

people act like Hicks is a bad qb , he holds all of SMU's passing records in just 3 years . And remember they used to use a Bombs away offense before morris

UnknownNobody

« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2019, 11:12:15 am »

Woods gushes when he talks about what the arrival of Hicks means to the Arkansas offense. The graduate transfer from SMU is like an extra coach for those still trying to learn the nuances of the Morris offense. Woods also had praise for the holdover quarterbacks and the highly anticipated arrival of Texas A&M transfer Nick Starkel.

“But Ben was the guy who helped show me around when I took my visit to SMU,” Woods said. “So, yes, I thought I’d be playing with him.

“So when he got here, we already had a chemistry. The rest of our guys didn’t take long to get to the same spot. He’s our on-field leader, and he’s pretty much been like that from his first day here.

“I’m going to be around him as much as I can. He’s in the offices watching tape almost all the time, and I want to be right there beside him.

“You watch tape with your quarterback, then you understand how to make the adjustments on the field.”

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2019/jul/12/state-hogs-woods-ready-lead-wide-receivers/

This is crap! Who cares what players think! We have Hogville posters who know waaay more than these kids!

/sarcasm

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2019, 11:13:46 am »

great post but some of these clueless people won't believe it. They are star struck by what they think they know

jkstock04

« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2019, 12:22:32 pm »

Did everyone hear/read McElroy's comments about who should start for us?  SMART MAN.

https://www.nwahomepage.com/sports/pig-trail-nation/greg-mcelroy-talks-hog-qbs-more/
You will have total egg on your face if Starkel isn't starting from day one. You started a thread guaranteeing/being able to see the future of it a couple of weeks back.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2019, 12:48:51 pm »

people act like Hicks is a bad qb , he holds all of SMU's passing records in just 3 years . And remember they used to use a Bombs away offense before morris

And that didn't happen by accident or luck either. Hicks is a solid Qb. However, his ceiling is pretty low. Look at what he did last year when he didn't have two WR's who were head and shoulders more talented than anybody they remotely faced.

The only two things that Hicks did better Storey was volume of play and being better at his TD:INT ratio. In terms of accuracy and yards per completion, he was nearly identical to Storey.

Further, he is making a huge increase in competition level. While sure, AAC to SEC isn't as big a jump as SEC to NFL or even JUCO to SEC, there is a learning curve to it and it is pretty steep. Impossible to say how well Hicks will handle it.

So no, it's not that Hicks is a bad thing to have by any stretch of the imagination. However, there are a lot of red flags. Without two NFL receivers in a talent deprived conference, Hick's play wasn't very much better than Storey's. Contrast that to Starkel who played well even without having talent that was worlds above his competition (in many games, lower than his competition even). Nobody, not even Morris yet, knows how well Hicks will handle the increased difficulty of the SEC. Starkel has already played the SEC, and the west for that matter. It's obvious to anybody that Starkel has significantly more arm talent than Hicks too. Lastly, the SMU fan's opinion of Hicks doesn't work in Ben's favor. Similar to Bielema, there were no tears shed when he left and the fans were already clamoring for a new QB last year even. In general, they seem to think his success was much more due to the talent around him than to do with Hicks himself. Hence, why people aren't as excited about Hicks as they are Starkel.

None of that is to say that Starkel isn't without his red flags either. Hicks has literally played for Morris for several years (and Craddock for that matter) and is obviously going to have a significant advantage in terms of familiarity with the coaching staff and schemes (though they are hopefully somewhat different from what he did at SMU...). Hicks has been here since the start of spring quarter and has nearly 6 more months with the team than Starkel has. Familiarity with the offense AND the center AND the wide receivers can certainly overcome talent deficiencies. Further, Hicks has multiple years of starting experience while Starkel has less than one full year.

The Hogfather

« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2019, 01:09:52 pm »

You will have total egg on your face if Starkel isn't starting from day one. You started a thread guaranteeing/being able to see the future of it a couple of weeks back.

Got banned for it, too.  I'm not going to have egg on my face, the coaches will have egg on their faces.  Hicks is not a bad QB (haven't seen one person say that).  However, Starkel is head-and-shoulders above Hicks as far as arm talent and high-level experience.  I would much rather go with a guy that is more talented than more knowledgeable in the offense.  I think people are over-valuing time in the system vs. actual talent.  I just hope Morris doesn't make that mistake.  We already saw him choose the wrong guy in his 1st year.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 9   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas