• 10,453,947 Posts
• 412,693 Topics
• 23,594 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music to my ears . . .  (Read 3079 times)

WizardofhOgZ

Music to my ears . . .
« on: July 14, 2019, 03:24:34 pm »

Just flipped the TV on and it was on the SEC Network, which is showing a bunch of old SEC football games.  Current game is 1985 Alabama-Auburn, so I immediately hear the dulcet tones of Keith Jackson and Frank Broyles calling the game.  For a long-term fan of my "vintage", it doesn't get any better than that.

SRV

Re: Music to my ears . . .
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 05:21:15 pm »

I watched some of it too, and enjoyed listening to them.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 06:06:00 pm »

Nobody says, "We've got a real Arkansas barn burner here, folks" like Keith Jackson.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 06:10:20 pm »

Those two are what I compare every CFB Announcing Team against. Jackson was a great Play-by-Play guy and Broyles a great Color Analyst. I have yet to find another tandem nearly as good.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 06:13:40 pm »

Those two are what I compare every CFB Announcing Team against. Jackson was a great Play-by-Play guy and Broyles a great Color Analyst. I have yet to find another tandem nearly as good.
Ara Parseghian was very good.

Hollywood870

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 06:15:20 pm »

Loved Keith Jackson.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 06:24:13 pm »

Very true.

26.2Hog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 06:49:10 pm »

Yes sir.

Before them, Chris Schenkel and Bud Wilkinson were pretty good. 

Of course, Schenkel was very versatile and also did MLB, tennis, golf, NBA, bowling, racing, the Olympics, you name it.

HognitiveDissonance

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 08:39:04 pm »

I believe Schenkel and Wilkinson called the 1969 Big Shootout for ABC.

ABC split up Jackson and Broyles because new management didn't like two southern guys on the same broadcast team. So they took Broyles off. I think this was when Bob Griese took over. Could be wrong.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 08:58:49 pm »

He was OK. Frank was a much better color commentator though.

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 10:00:25 pm »

To each their own, but I never cared for Parseghian as a color man.  Respected him as a coach - so it's not an anti-Notre Dame thing.  Just didn't think he added much to the presentation.

In fact, I always envisioned him sitting in the booth with an electronic taser taped to him and every so often the guy producing the broadcast would push a button and old Ara would chime in with some random thought - occasionally, it even had something to do with the game!  But nothing very insightful, IMO. 

Justifiable Hogicide

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 11:57:38 pm »

So true. They were just the best and no college broadcast team since has come close to the standard they set.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2019, 12:22:26 am »

So true. They were just the best and no college broadcast team since has come close to the standard they set.

I have enjoyed Mark Jones and Dusty Davracek as a CFB announcing team. Jones is a great play by play guy and Davorcek is getting better as an analyst. Last season they were talking about the two going to Davorcek's parents and Jones having King Ranch Chicken for the first time. Was one of those stories thrown in during a lull in the action.

LZH

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 05:27:32 am »

I'll get rocks thrown at me here, but I always liked Verne and Gary doing the SEC game of the week.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 05:35:00 am »

I'll get rocks thrown at me here, but I always liked Verne and Gary doing the SEC game of the week.

Not from me Verne was one of the best until the last few years before he retired. Danielson was fine.

LZH

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2019, 05:43:04 am »

Not from me Verne was one of the best until the last few years before he retired. Danielson was fine.

Lots of guys hated Verne, but I never understood why.  I was at the LSU game that day, but when watching it again later his "say goodbye!" when DMac broke the line and outran everyone was great.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2019, 05:51:08 am »

Lots of guys hated Verne, but I never understood why.  I was at the LSU game that day, but when watching it again later his "say goodbye!" when DMac broke the line and outran everyone was great.

He had a great voice and was a great play by play guy. I think most of the criticism came from the last few years when he wasn’t as good. His “farewell” tour showed how loved he really was.

LZH

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2019, 06:04:51 am »

He had a great voice and was a great play by play guy. I think most of the criticism came from the last few years when he wasn’t as good. His “farewell” tour showed how loved he really was.

I was 18 and hadn't even picked up a golf club yet, save for a night or two drinking at the driving range on University in LR.  But just happened to be watching when Jack made that putt at Augusta...."yessir!"  Was a Verne fan ever since.

Steef

• Idylically living in the Valley of the Cats
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2019, 06:10:34 am »

Verne: "So...is that like...an incomplete pass?"

Gary: Facepalm

LZH

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2019, 06:13:51 am »

Verne: "So...is that like...an incomplete pass?"

Gary: Facepalm

Surely you have him confused with Corso or someone.........

Bacons Rebellion

• Pig puns are so boaring.
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2019, 09:21:29 am »

The old announcers were truly great. Watch an old game like Saturday and it just shows.

The real problem now is just that there are at least 60 D1 NCAA football games every Saturday. There's no way around the fact that half of those guys are below average.

That average is lower also because most of them have learned in broadcasting school, instead of the old guys who had learned by doing years of radio before they broke into TV. They don't do much homework (mispronouncing names is a tell here), don't know the teams because they move around so much, and are formulaic to the extreme.

The color commentators are even worse as a large percentage of the time they're just a convenient ex-jock who spends half the time talking about his own career (maybe because that's all he's done for years, anyway). At least the play-by-play guys went to school.

When there were (at best) two games per Saturday, we saw the best there was, every Saturday (I mean really, Bud Wilkinson, Ara Parseighian, Frank Broyles? Three hall of fame coaches -- heck yes, they could comment.). Of course, it meant only one or maybe two Razorback games per year, and overall I admit I like it better watching the Hogs every Saturday with somewhat sub-par announcers.

I've actually heard some very good announcing on small college radio. But my wife got Sirius; now I can just listen to ESPNU in the car (to a relevant game) so I guess those days are gone to me, too.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2019, 11:57:18 am »

I was 18 and hadn't even picked up a golf club yet, save for a night or two drinking at the driving range on University in LR.  But just happened to be watching when Jack made that putt at Augusta...."yessir!"  Was a Verne fan ever since.
Which he actually repeated, subconsciously, from Ben Wright earlier in that day's broadcast.
Wright had used 'Yes Sir' that day in his British accent.
Verne used it on Nicklaus's putt late in the round.
People attribute it all to Verne, but he admitted years later he got it from Ben. The rest of the story.
It wasn't a 'stealing' thing at all, it was subconscious. In the spur of the moment, Verne repeated something he had heard just a bit earlier over the earpiece, and out 'Yes Sir!' came. But it became known as Verne's call.

Funny how life works.

Nothing is original anyway.

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2019, 04:01:36 pm »

Surely you have him confused with Corso or someone.........

Sadly, he's not.  Watch the 2009 Florida game after Mallett hit Childs with a long TD pass that was caught at midfield and fumbled into the EZ around the goal line to hear that classic "senior moment" exchange between Vern and Gary.

For a humorous reminder, here's a classic hidden video some poor Arkansas fan's family took of him reacting to the call (if you listen above this guy's justified ranting about the conversation between Verne and Gary, you can hear Verne asking in the background "is that an incomplete pass?"  Comes right at the 3:00 mark).

« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 04:43:59 pm by WizardofhOgZ »

Steef

• Idylically living in the Valley of the Cats
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2019, 04:14:07 pm »

Sadly, he's not.  Watch the 2009 Florida game after Mallett hit Childs with a long TD pass that was caught at midfield and fumbled into the EZ around the goal line to hear that classic "senior moment" exchange between Vern and Gary.

For a humorous reminder, here's a classic hidden video some poor Arkansas fan's family took of him reacting to the call (if you listen above this guy's justified ranting about the conversation between Verne and Gary, you can hear Verne asking in the background "is that an incomplete pass?").

LOL

Yup. Three minute mark.

For about a year up until then, I had been like, "Well Verne is the affable old uncle everybody humors at the family reunion."

But when he said THAT....it's time to go.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2019, 04:36:45 pm »

For a humorous reminder, here's a classic hidden video some poor Arkansas fan's family took of him reacting to the call (if you listen above this guy's justified ranting about the conversation between Verne and Gary, you can hear Verne asking in the background "is that an incomplete pass?").

You figure around 80,000 similar incidents each Sat. This is priceless. Thank you!

Tejano Jawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Lasciate ogni speranza voi ch'entrate.
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2019, 05:20:04 pm »

I remember that home video, and it is sorta funny...but I just can't live through that again. :(

hawginbigd1

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2019, 05:44:18 pm »

I approve this message

26.2Hog

• The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2019, 06:21:35 pm »

Ron Franklin was the best play-by-play man in the business for about 25 years.

LZH

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2019, 04:08:32 am »

I remember the Florida gaff, but didn't know about the Master's repeat.

Still like good ol' Verne.  His delivery was great and had a voice to go with it.  Did he slip here and there?.....yeah.

LZH

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2019, 04:12:45 am »

Ron Franklin was the best play-by-play man in the business for about 25 years.

He was, no doubt, very good.  Enjoyed him, too.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2019, 10:28:59 am »

Ron Franklin was getting older anyway but he was semi-pushed out when he called the sideline reporter "Honey" once.
"Honey" is kind of a southern phrase that doesn't necessarily mean harassment, but that's not how it was interpreted by some people. So he got in some trouble.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2019, 10:31:08 am »

Ron Franklin was getting older anyway but he was semi-pushed out when he called the sideline reporter "Honey" once.
"Honey" is kind of a southern phrase that doesn't necessarily mean harassment, but that's not how it was interpreted by some people. So he got in some trouble.
I guess he had to go back where he came from...

LZH

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2019, 02:19:26 am »

I guess he had to go back where he came from...

Pennsylvania?

lasthog

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2019, 08:33:18 am »

Joe Namath got banned from further broadcast work when he practically dry-humped a sideline chick. He wasn't involved as a broadcaster in the game, but it was for some reason deemed inappropriate behavior, which ended his broadcast career.

I really believe he should have been excused for this because she was hot and he was drunk.

At least that's how I rember the sequence of events.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2019, 08:36:44 am »

Joe Namath got banned from further broadcast work when he practically dry-humped a sideline chick. He wasn't involved as a broadcaster in the game, but it was for some reason deemed inappropriate behavior, which ended his broadcast career.

I really believe he should have been excused for this because she was hot and he was drunk.

Suzy Kolber handled that situation very well.

lasthog

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2019, 08:53:56 am »

Thanks for providing  her name.  Looked her up on Wikepedia. I didn't realize the incident was as broadly reported as it was. And I agree that she handled the situation very well.

AugustaHog

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2019, 09:21:12 am »

Verne was slipping for a number of years.  He botched countless names and facts for at least 15 years before he hung it up.  I really didn't mind his voice and the sound of him calling the game, but the errors definitely frustrated me.  Brad Nessler is really a good one and I'm glad he's on the CBS broadcast now.  Perhaps one day, we'll get to hear him call one of our games. 

AugustaHog

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2019, 09:48:36 am »

Yeah she's a real pro.  She does great work and that was an awful situation to be put in on live TV.  From what I've heard, Namath has sobered up since that incident.  I believe that he's said that was a turning point for him and that forced him to get his life together.  Hopefully so.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2019, 09:57:32 am »

Yeah she's a real pro.  She does great work and that was an awful situation to be put in on live TV.  From what I've heard, Namath has sobered up since that incident.  I believe that he's said that was a turning point for him and that forced him to get his life together.  Hopefully so.
You would be correct.

Cotton

• Formerly of ESPN 8 "The Ocho"
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2019, 10:03:35 am »

Danielson sucks.

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2019, 10:09:23 am »

Danielson sucks.

I just don't understand why CBS thinks the Southeastern Conference needs to be analyzed by a midwest guy who isn't very good anyway. Never have understood it. If Peyton Manning ever wants to do it, they should hire him. Or Spurrier, if they want the show to be entertaining.

Cotton

• Formerly of ESPN 8 "The Ocho"
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2019, 10:39:45 am »

I just don't understand why CBS thinks the Southeastern Conference needs to be analyzed by a midwest guy who isn't very good anyway. Never have understood it. If Peyton Manning ever wants to do it, they should hire him. Or Spurrier, if they want the show to be entertaining.
Agree 100%. Gary gets on my nerves.  I liked Verne until about 6-8 years ago... I understand the nostalgia so I never complained too much about him even when he was going down hill.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2019, 11:29:49 am »

It was on Monday Night Football so the audience was big, which probably explains why it became a bigger story.

Suzy Kolber is nice but I wouldn't call her hot. I doubt she's reading this so I can say that here :)

I like Gary Danielson. He's very knowledgeable. It would make sense to have two 'SEC' guys on the 'SEC Game of the Week' but I don't know if ESPN would do that. As stated earlier, ABC busted up Jackson/Broyles because both were southeners. Of course, that was a national broadcast and not the SEC weekly game. I agree that Jackson/Broyles was a great team. Frank was basically good at everything he ever did: coaching, AD'ing, broadcasting, fundraising, caregiving for Alzheimers. A Man for All Seasons.

lasthog

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2019, 12:55:57 pm »

It was on Monday Night Football so the audience was big, which probably explains why it became a bigger story.

Suzy Kolber is nice but I wouldn't call her hot. I doubt she's reading this so I can say that here :)

I like Gary Danielson. He's very knowledgeable. It would make sense to have two 'SEC' guys on the 'SEC Game of the Week' but I don't know if ESPN would do that. As stated earlier, ABC busted up Jackson/Broyles because both were southeners. Of course, that was a national broadcast and not the SEC weekly game. I agree that Jackson/Broyles was a great team. Frank was basically good at everything he ever did: coaching, AD'ing, broadcasting, fundraising, caregiving for Alzheimers. A Man for All Seasons.

Well, I didn't remember much other than Joe's actions. But a lot of ladies look pretty good by the time you drink to the bottom of the bottle.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2019, 02:48:56 pm »

Well, I didn't remember much other than Joe's actions. But a lot of ladies look pretty good by the time you drink to the bottom of the bottle.
Amanda Balionis on CBS Golf is HOT.
Back in the day, Jill Arrington on the CBS SEC Game of the Week was mega-hot too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas