• 10,565,468 Posts
• 415,999 Topics
• 23,893 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Debut of the Electronic Strike Zone.  (Read 1801 times)

Deep Shoat

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • The Artist formerly known as Hong Kong Sooey

Pudgepork

• Horse Racings most unlikely champ
Re: The Debut of the Electronic Strike Zone.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 10:43:13 am »

Can somebody start hacking into the frequency and rig a remote to zap an umps ear?  There are several that need to dance a step after every blown call

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 10:51:51 am »

Not sure I'm too excited about the "stealing first" idea.

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 11:37:42 am »

Agree. Love the electronic strike zone; a free 1B for every WP or PB, not so much.

Supermark101

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 11:44:38 am »

I love it. Makes defensive catchers even more important. I hate the idea of moving the mound. Maybe they should play on a softball field. Leave the basics alone

ucahogfan

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 01:05:24 pm »

I like the implementation of the electronic strike zone, but the other ideas are no good IMO.  It is good that it worked well and there was not a huge delay.

It might never be adopted at the collegiate level as a whole, but I could definitely see the SEC implementing this.  It would require teams to have the Trackman technology which I think a lot of SEC teams already have.

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 07:11:48 pm »

I wonder how they are going to deal with the concept of each batter having a different strike zone.  No way that a 6'5" hitter has the same zone as a 5'7" guy.

Maybe they put small chips in various locations of the uniform and triangulate off of that?

intoxhog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • It's history that teaches us to hope.~Robert E Lee
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 10:42:56 pm »

I like the way it is except when PC in behind the plate. Human element is fun to watch and pitchers trying to figure out the zone.

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 10:08:15 am »

I wonder how they are going to deal with the concept of each batter having a different strike zone.  No way that a 6'5" hitter has the same zone as a 5'7" guy.

Maybe they put small chips in various locations of the uniform and triangulate off of that?

As I understand it, currently a human does it or at least confirms it. This does add variability/a human element, which some have raised as an objection.

hoglady

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 10:19:07 am »

I like things the way they are.

oldhawg

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 10:29:03 am »

Is there any oversight?  Foe example, what's to prevent an an umpire from calling his own game occasionally despite what the electronic device is whispering in his ear?

Deep Shoat

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 12:49:41 pm »

Is there any oversight?  Foe example, what's to prevent an an umpire from calling his own game occasionally despite what the electronic device is whispering in his ear?
The whole point of Trackman is to, well, track the pitches.  Location, velocity, etc.  So, if he called his own game he'd have some 'splainin' to do.

oldhawg

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 01:52:07 pm »

The whole point of Trackman is to, well, track the pitches.  Location, velocity, etc.  So, if he called his own game he'd have some 'splainin' to do.

Okay, thanks.  I just do not understand the mechanics of how it will work, and what latitude the umpire has to overturn an electronic call if he believes it is in error.

Also, I'll miss coaches and fans challenging the umpires ability fairly call balls and strikes.  :)

hogfan98

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Agree to Disagree
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 02:00:28 pm »

I like the way it is except when PC in behind the plate. Human element is fun to watch and pitchers trying to figure out the zone.

PC would find a way to screw this one up.

Roadhog82

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 04:06:32 pm »

I'm with you. This is a major change to the game

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 11:53:24 pm »

Wait - there's more! 

Turns out there are even MORE changes being looked at . . . having an extra foul on an attempted bunt?  Widening of the bases?   Making the check-swing review more "batter friendly"?

I guess they're trying to legislate good pitching out of the game.

http://www.atlanticleague.com/about/press-releases/?article_id=1237

Deep Shoat

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2019, 09:54:14 am »

Wait - there's more! 

Turns out there are even MORE changes being looked at . . . having an extra foul on an attempted bunt?  Widening of the bases?   Making the check-swing review more "batter friendly"?

The only one that matters (to us) is the electronic strike zone.  The other "changes" are sideshows.  Something to entice casual baseball fans to come to minor league parks,

Deep Shoat

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2019, 09:56:32 am »

I'm with you. This is a major change to the game
How many times do we have to get screwed by the "human element" before we expect better?

The thing I am most frustrated by is the inconsistency of strike zones amongst umps.  Well, that and the disappearance of the top half of the zone.  It's nipples to knees, not belly button to mid shin...

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2019, 10:04:54 pm »

Not sure if itís been going on all year (donít typically watch SNB) but this 3D K zone on ESPN for the Dodgers Red Sox game tonight is incredible. Thereís really no reason not to be using electronic zone in the majors at this point (where there are enough cameras/money/trackman etc for it to basically never fail). Their 4D camera paste together was also incredible on the slide at home.

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2019, 01:28:13 pm »

Not sure if itís been going on all year (donít typically watch SNB) but this 3D K zone on ESPN for the Dodgers Red Sox game tonight is incredible. Thereís really no reason not to be using electronic zone in the majors at this point (where there are enough cameras/money/trackman etc for it to basically never fail). Their 4D camera paste together was also incredible on the slide at home.

It was great but I donít know why they couldnít show the actually tag which happened a millisecond after where they paused it. That was so frustrating they do all that and it looks amazing but they never showed the actual glove hit the runner or the runner tagging the base.

Pigsfeat

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2019, 05:29:35 pm »

Wait - there's more! 

The only base that needs widening might be first base. I ran a ball park for several years and couldn't understand why we had safety bases, a double bag with half in fair territory and half out, for softball but not for baseball. I have seen collisions in both sports and the guys were running faster than the gals. It's just my opinion but I don't see a downside to this base.

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2019, 07:58:32 pm »

It was great but I donít know why they couldnít show the actually tag which happened a millisecond after where they paused it. That was so frustrating they do all that and it looks amazing but they never showed the actual glove hit the runner or the runner tagging the base.

Agree - this was so absurd...advance the frame 2 seconds! Not sure if each frame requires human effort to paste together or what. Was very strange

redeye

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2019, 12:45:09 am »

I like things the way they are.

I'm already dreading it. Baseball is the last major sport that hasn't been ruined, but it looks like baseball is next.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas