• 10,565,519 Posts
• 415,999 Topics
• 23,893 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saratoga Special  (Read 375 times)

heavylifting

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Saratoga Special
« on: July 11, 2019, 12:46:45 am »

Is the name of a stakes race, but is also the name of a newspaper published by Joe and Sean Clancy that is distributed for free during the Saratoga race meet.

Is published most -- but not all -- racing dates and contains entries, results, picks and feature articles on the racing scene there. About the only thing it doesn't have is past performances.

There was a huge uproar a few years ago, when in the wake of what I will discretely refer to as "the Indian Charlie incident," NYRA banned the ontrack distribution of all free publications. That was soon overturned after a minor backstretch rebellion. The Saratoga Special, now in about its 15th or so year of publication, has become a staple of the scene up there and has served as the launching grounds for several writers and assorted personalities.

Well worth a look if you're not familiar with it.

A digital version of the print copy can be accessed online at this address -- https://thisishorseracing.com/news/index.php/multi-media/print

The opening day issue is attached hereto.

HawgWild

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Left lane, Hey!? Where’s my hammer?
Re: Saratoga Special
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 09:53:12 am »

That's a pretty substantial publication to be offered daily and free. Thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

cram224

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 11:28:50 am »

What was "The Indian Charley Incident"? I've had him write stories about my family and myself. All was very funny all though he could get on some peoples nerves.

heavylifting

• Senior
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 11:58:37 am »

What was "The Indian Charley Incident"? I've had him write stories about my family and myself. All was very funny all though he could get on some peoples nerves.
It was about 4 or 5 years ago, maybe longer, he made some derogatory comment about Mexicans, so there was a lot of ballyhoo about that and NYRA banned distribution of his sheet from the track. Then (and this must have come from their legal dept.), they banned all such free publications from distribution on track property. Since The Special is nothing at all like Indian Charlie, people were up in arms, and NYRA (rightfully) retracted the ban on The Special. I mean, come on, NYRA advertises in The Special; they're going to advertise in it and then ban it? Cooler heads prevailed, thankfully.

You can't get more apple pie than Joe and Sean Clancy.

ghostzapper

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 12:17:13 pm »

Is the name of a stakes race, but is also the name of a newspaper published by Joe and Sean Clancy that is distributed for free during the Saratoga race meet.

Is published most -- but not all -- racing dates and contains entries, results, picks and feature articles on the racing scene there. About the only thing it doesn't have is past performances.

There was a huge uproar a few years ago, when in the wake of what I will discretely refer to as "the Indian Charlie incident," NYRA banned the ontrack distribution of all free publications. That was soon overturned after a minor backstretch rebellion. The Saratoga Special, now in about its 15th or so year of publication, has become a staple of the scene up there and has served as the launching grounds for several writers and assorted personalities.

Well worth a look if you're not familiar with it.

A digital version of the print copy can be accessed online at this address -- https://thisishorseracing.com/news/index.php/multi-media/print

The opening day issue is attached hereto.

Was unaware.  Thanks for sharing. 

cbhawg03

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 12:59:22 pm »

It was about 4 or 5 years ago, maybe longer, he made some derogatory comment about Mexicans, so there was a lot of ballyhoo about that and NYRA banned distribution of his sheet from the track. Then (and this must have come from their legal dept.), they banned all such free publications from distribution on track property. Since The Special is nothing at all like Indian Charlie, people were up in arms, and NYRA (rightfully) retracted the ban on The Special. I mean, come on, NYRA advertises in The Special; they're going to advertise in it and then ban it? Cooler heads prevailed, thankfully.

You can't get more apple pie than Joe and Sean Clancy.

His beef with Dale Romans (??) was hilarious though.  Very entertaining to say the least
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas