• 10,347,740 Posts
• 409,483 Topics
• 23,409 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who is the most unstoppable Razorback to ever play?  (Read 4254 times)

EastexHawg

Re: Who is the most unstoppable Razorback to ever play?
« Reply #150 on: July 16, 2019, 08:55:53 am »

Bill Burnett #33

"During his career the Hogs had a record of 28 wins and only 5 losses (3 times against Texas-Texas once again shows up as spoiler). Bill still holds the single season scoring record of 120 points scored in 1969 on 20 touchdowns based on 209 carries for 900 yards. He also holds the career scoring record of 294 points from 1968 through 1970. Throughout his career, he scored 49 touchdowns and rushed for 2,204 yards on 526 carries. What a legend! As one of the true legends in Razorback football history, he has been selected as a member of the University of Arkansas Hall of Honor. With his selection in 1996, Bill along with Clell, and Bobby make up the only football family honored with three members belonging to the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame. In the classroom, Bill was no slacker either, after having been selected as an Academic All-American for his efforts there."

Bill Burnett was my first football hero.  He looked like Opie but was a touchdown machine.  I always wanted a helmet with the vertical bar like he wore.  On top of everything else, he never fumbled as a Razorback.

I got to have lunch with him when I was a teenager.  What a thrill!

EastexHawg

« Reply #151 on: July 16, 2019, 09:05:32 am »

DMac is at the top but Ronnie Caveness should be mentioned still holds most tackles in a game and most tackles in consecutive seasons after 50 years

Caveness may be the greatest player we have ever had.  He is certainly in the top five in my opinion.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

liljo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #152 on: July 16, 2019, 10:30:08 am »

Man...That was fun to watch again. DJ was a Bad mo--shut my mouth...
That balance, those little shifty cuts, then pure power on contact...Wish he was on this year's team!

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #153 on: July 16, 2019, 10:33:37 am »

That balance, those little shifty cuts, then pure power on contact...Wish he was on this year's team!
A bowling ball with legs!  Can't remember who coined that phrase.

Pigsknuckles

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • When you least expect it...
« Reply #154 on: July 17, 2019, 05:58:35 pm »

I remember an NFL booth guy describing Sonny Jergenson a a rain barrel with legs. Sounds familiar, but can't tie a name to it.

Pigsknuckles

« Reply #155 on: July 17, 2019, 06:01:54 pm »

As to the original question...Matt Jones!!!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #156 on: July 18, 2019, 10:17:41 am »

Matt Jones had his moments in which he was good, but as a whole he wasn't necessarily elite.

The fumble against Texas in Fayetteville which probably cost us that game, and the 10-3 loss to Auburn in Fayetteville in 2003 really sticks out to him being non-elite.
DMAC lost a couple of games too.. You're measuring stick is tainted with personal dislike... Yes..! Everyone CAN smell it.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #157 on: July 18, 2019, 10:25:53 am »

Matt Jones had his moments in which he was good, but as a whole he wasn't necessarily elite.

The fumble against Texas in Fayetteville which probably cost us that game, and the 10-3 loss to Auburn in Fayetteville in 2003 really sticks out to him being non-elite.

Trevor Lawrence got hurt last season.

Not elite.

Brent Venables lost to Syracuse.

Not elite.

cstrickl21

• Band Nerd
« Reply #158 on: July 18, 2019, 10:41:10 am »

Dennis Johnson. Dude was like a little bowling ball

ALLVOL

« Reply #159 on: July 18, 2019, 11:06:57 am »

Its McFadden.
Not only was #5 the toughest Hog to stop he was one of the toughest players to stop to ever play college football. Freak of nature with speed, strength, hands and could even throw better than many QB's. Unreal football player.

hoghearted

• 2007 and 2009 Rolex DP Champions. Are you driven?
« Reply #160 on: July 18, 2019, 11:15:24 am »

I started looking at the O line play, and they did a tremendous job opening lanes for him. Not taking away from DJ's toughness and ability to run over defenders, but man, I wish our line would start looking like that again.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #161 on: July 18, 2019, 11:28:36 am »

Earl Anthony?  ;)

chaz

• Varsity
« Reply #162 on: July 18, 2019, 12:18:38 pm »

Who do you think is the most unstoppable Razorback to play for Arkansas?

DMAC

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #163 on: July 18, 2019, 12:53:24 pm »

While I wouldn't necessarily put him among the superlative of "most" unstoppable, and his is not a name particularly liked in these parts any more, Marcus Monk.

Guy was the only receiving threat we had and was nearly unstoppable when targeted. Had NFL size, speed, and athleticism, but the one thing that really stopped Marcus was, like Childs, injury.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #164 on: July 18, 2019, 01:03:46 pm »

While I wouldn't necessarily put him among the superlative of "most" unstoppable, and his is not a name particularly liked in these parts any more, Marcus Monk.

Guy was the only receiving threat we had and was nearly unstoppable when targeted. Had NFL size, speed, and athleticism, but the one thing that really stopped Marcus was, like Childs, injury.

I remember walking down Razorback Road after tailgating after a game. Marcus had a bad game and another player was walking down the road in front of us with his family and talking about how disappointed he was because he thought Marcus had such a bad game and it hurt their prospects for winning. That being said all players have bad games. Marcus was normally a clutch type player but not immune to bad games. If he had NFL size, speed and athleticism why didn't it work out for him in the pros. Not sure I'd call him nearly unstoppable.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 01:21:19 pm by Inhogswetrust »

mrhatok

• Bench Warmer
  • What a great call!
« Reply #165 on: July 18, 2019, 01:18:00 pm »

DMAC for sure!

I do have to put Joe Adams out there.  "Houdini is in the house and no one is guarding that house". 

havok

« Reply #166 on: July 18, 2019, 01:40:39 pm »

Fred Talley when playing Auburn that is..

He obliterated their defense & demoralized every Auburn player/fan that day.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #167 on: July 18, 2019, 02:02:21 pm »

I remember walking down Razorback Road after tailgating after a game. Marcus had a bad game and another player was walking down the road in front of us with his family and talking about how disappointed he was because he thought Marcus had such a bad game and it hurt their prospects for winning. That being said all players have bad games. Marcus was normally a clutch type player but not immune to bad games. If he had NFL size, speed and athleticism why didn't it work out for him in the pros. Not sure I'd call him nearly unstoppable.

Same reason Greg Childs didn't work out in the pros. Knee injuries that eventually you can't recover from.

Marcus, over a decade after he retired, a decade in which passing games exploded, is still tied for 9th all time in SEC career receiving td's. Our next highest player on that list is Jarius Wright who's tied at #17. And Monk played under Nutt when passing was an afterthought and defenses could easily double team him because we had zero other receiving threats save for our fullback.

That's pretty unstoppable to me.

In terms of having bad games, how about McFadden getting only 43 yards despite 17 carries (2.5 ypc) against Auburn in 2007? It happens to everybody.

kingofdequeen

« Reply #168 on: July 18, 2019, 02:27:32 pm »

in my lifetime, there is one.  MJ #9.

PorkSoda

« Reply #169 on: July 18, 2019, 04:48:30 pm »

I stopped at a local sports bar to watch Matt Jones take on Tennessee on my lunch break...I did not return from lunch.

Pigsknuckles

« Reply #170 on: July 18, 2019, 09:09:21 pm »

Matt Jones was like watching a giraffe carrying a football. Defenders had no idea how fast he was until he was past them.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #171 on: July 18, 2019, 09:10:45 pm »

The two-time Heisman trophy runner up says “hi”.  ;)

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #172 on: July 18, 2019, 09:34:52 pm »

When it comes to separating the quarterback from the football, I gotta go with Billy Ray, to this day.  He had a gift.

PorkSoda

« Reply #173 on: July 18, 2019, 10:11:25 pm »

When it comes to separating the quarterback from the football, I gotta go with Billy Ray, to this day.  He had a gift.
when it came to late hits out of bounds, there was noone better than tony bua

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #174 on: July 18, 2019, 10:26:01 pm »

when it came to late hits out of bounds, there was noone better than tony bua

When it comes to separating Auburn players from their helmets, there was none better than Jerico Nelson.

liljo

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #175 on: July 19, 2019, 09:23:35 am »

It was Bobby Petrino, y'all.

He just couldn't stop.

And, oh yeah, he was a "player."
 ;)

Tejano Jawg

• Woooooooooo PIG SOOOIEEE!
« Reply #176 on: July 19, 2019, 03:31:22 pm »

I enjoyed that Dennis vs Florida video. He would break 5-6 tackles, and they still couldn't get him on the ground. (In a way) he may be the reason we lost that game...he was so dominant, Florida knew they couldn't beat us with him running like that. THEN CAME THE PHONE CALL to the officiating crew, saying they'd better start tilting the game the Gators' way. In other words, he forced Florida's hand.

*Off main topic—I still think we win game with only 3-4 bad calls. It was the 5th, 6th, 7th that we finally couldn't overcome. Wasn't it obvious?...the refs were going to keep making calls until the game changed and Florida took the lead. And tell me again how that crew was allowed to officiate another SEC game ever, following their suspension? Dennis' performance there in the Swamp should have been one of the all-time greats in SEC history. But we were screwed. Dennis was screwed.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #177 on: July 19, 2019, 08:53:01 pm »

Trevor Lawrence got hurt last season.

Not elite.

Brent Venables lost to Syracuse.

Not elite.

Lawrence has lost only 2 games ever as a starting QB.  Provided he stays injury free in the NFL, Lawrence may end up supplanting Tom Brady regarding all-time QBs.

Venables has out-coached Nick Saban two out of the last three seasons.  Additionally, Venables has 3 National Championship rings.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #178 on: July 19, 2019, 10:45:21 pm »

I enjoyed that Dennis vs Florida video. He would break 5-6 tackles, and they still couldn't get him on the ground. (In a way) he may be the reason we lost that game...he was so dominant, Florida knew they couldn't beat us with him running like that. THEN CAME THE PHONE CALL to the officiating crew, saying they'd better start tilting the game the Gators' way. In other words, he forced Florida's hand.

*Off main topic—I still think we win game with only 3-4 bad calls. It was the 5th, 6th, 7th that we finally couldn't overcome. Wasn't it obvious?...the refs were going to keep making calls until the game changed and Florida took the lead. And tell me again how that crew was allowed to officiate another SEC game ever, following their suspension? Dennis' performance there in the Swamp should have been one of the all-time greats in SEC history. But we were screwed. Dennis was screwed.

That game was the single biggest screwing I’ve ever seen.

As to the OP, Matt Jones.  Without a doubt.  It’s amazing how many people on this board don’t give him the credit he was due.  He single handedly saved Nutt’s job.  If that guy had played in a modern spread offense instead of Nutt’s drawing up plays in the dirt?   

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #179 on: July 19, 2019, 11:28:29 pm »

Lawrence has lost only 2 games ever as a starting QB.  Provided he stays injury free in the NFL, Lawrence may end up supplanting Tom Brady regarding all-time QBs.

Venables has out-coached Nick Saban two out of the last three seasons.  Additionally, Venables has 3 National Championship rings.

You literally have no basis on which to make this claim yet.

trphog

« Reply #180 on: July 20, 2019, 05:08:57 am »

Run DMC

dsf

« Reply #181 on: July 20, 2019, 06:46:01 am »

True enough. With either player on the field during their time, we were one play away from a potential score. DMac was a tough, strong willed runner that if given a crease, he might put it in the EZ. But Jones always amazed me with how he would take those long, loping strides that looked like he wasn't fast, but he nonetheless left a lot of defensive players just trying to catch up to him. Of course we all want to recall the good and great and overlook the not-so-good, so I get it. Pleasant memories are far better than remembering the times that they screwed up and both players had those times as well.
that's the way it was with Harry Jones in 1965...seemed like he scored every time he touched the ball.  He was a first round draft pick and was on the cover of SI.

vandiar2

• Band Nerd
« Reply #182 on: July 20, 2019, 11:06:08 am »

DJ was a monster that game. I remember it like it was yesterday... The game that is. I had the drink myself stupid I was so upset the refs robbed us. DJ should have received more touches throughout his career.

EarlCampbellsHotLink

• Varsity
« Reply #183 on: July 20, 2019, 01:32:49 pm »

Matt Jones was like watching a giraffe carrying a football. Defenders had no idea how fast he was until he was past them.

A giraffe on cocaine...hahaha.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #184 on: July 20, 2019, 02:20:57 pm »

You literally have no basis on which to make this claim yet.

The NFL knows what Lawrence may end up doing.  He is a very rare generational talent.  He will continue to get better, which is scary.  As can be seen below, there are right now just 13 NFL teams who would stick with their current starter instead of Lawrence, but by the time he he gets to the NFL, every team may want him to replace their current starter.

The 6-6, 215-pound Lawrence already looks the part of a franchise quarterback with one NFL scout telling Bleacher Report, he could be the best NFL Draft prospect ever.

“With what he now knows, his physical ability at 19 years old, how he wants to be coached and wants to be great, his ceiling is limitless. He makes throws now that guys in our league can’t make,”

Final Verdict

19 NFL teams would pick Lawrence over their incumbent starter right now. That means there are only 13 NFL quarterbacks teams would stick with instead of Lawrence.

https://fansided.com/2019/01/08/trevor-lawrence-better-nfl-starting-quarterbacks/

EarlCampbellsHotLink

• Varsity
« Reply #185 on: July 22, 2019, 08:56:34 am »

Not even the cops could stop the Cocaine Train QB!!!

razorzapp

« Reply #186 on: July 22, 2019, 12:52:22 pm »

Mitch Mustain.  Undefeated = Unstoppable?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas