• 10,544,210 Posts
• 415,531 Topics
• 23,811 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Who is the most unstoppable Razorback to ever play?  (Read 4548 times)

GoHogs1091

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
Re: Who is the most unstoppable Razorback to ever play?
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2019, 08:33:20 pm »

You left out several other elites.  Matt Jones, Billy Ray Smith to name a couple

Matt Jones had his moments in which he was good, but as a whole he wasn't necessarily elite.

The fumble against Texas in Fayetteville which probably cost us that game, and the 10-3 loss to Auburn in Fayetteville in 2003 really sticks out to him being non-elite.

PorkSoda

« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2019, 08:37:56 pm »

Matt Jones had his moments in which he was good, but as a whole he wasn't necessarily elite.

The fumble against Texas in Fayetteville which probably cost us that game, and the 10-3 loss to Auburn in Fayetteville in 2003 really sticks out to him being non-elite.
lol @ not elite.  how many SEC records did he hold during his time here?  and remind me of who the last 240 pound QB to run a sub 4.4 at the NFL combine...

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2019, 08:43:19 pm »

In the modern era (1980 to present), there has been only 4 elite Razorback players.

Steve Atwater

DMac obviously cannot be excluded but Atwater has to be in the conversation with regard to unstoppable Razorbacks.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2019, 08:47:34 pm »

lol @ not elite.  how many SEC records did he hold during his time here?  and remind me of who the last 240 pound QB to run a sub 4.4 at the NFL combine...

He did manage to win a game against Nick Saban.  I will give him credit for that.  We have been Ofer against Saban since that win against him in Little Rock.

It should be remembered though that Jones was All-SEC only one time during his career here, and that one time was just 2nd Team All-SEC (2003).

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
  • She thinks my hawgs are sexy
« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2019, 08:48:01 pm »

Felix Jones numbers put him in the Elite mix. I've heard two D?C's that had to prepare against him say they feared him more than D-Mac. you knew DM was going to get yards before you got him but every play Jones was capable of taking it to the house . Both said the cringed when he touched the ball

Pork Twain

« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2019, 06:44:57 am »

Dmac never had an off game or fumbled?

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2019, 06:54:58 am »

Too bad that “sub 4.4” 40 at the combine was probably the highlight of his NFL career. I know he had one SEC record, most rushing yards by a QB, which was broken by Tebow, then Nick Fitzgerald. Not sure if he held any other SEC records, might have. But he was great at Arkansas. Just not “D-MAC great”. D-Mac is the 3rd leading rusher in SEC history, behind only Herschel Walker and Nick Chubb but ahead of greats such as Bo Jackson, Emmitt Smith, and Derrick Henry.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 07:11:13 am by (notOM)Rebel123 »

HogPharmer

« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2019, 07:18:59 am »

He did manage to win a game against Nick Saban.  I will give him credit for that.  We have been Ofer against Saban since that win against him in Little Rock.

What are you talking about? You guys just beat Saban last year in the National Championship....

Soooie21

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2019, 07:32:03 am »

Dmac is alone at the top....Maybe Eckwood before is knee... Ben Cowins..Dickey Morton....Felix Jones..

havok

« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2019, 08:01:45 am »

Tony Cherico.   dude was playing Nose Tackle at about 225lbs and even double & triple teamed by 260+ lb linemen he would somehow come out of the pile and be in the backfield to make stops.

TrueBlue

• I'm not driven by money anymore. Lane Kiffin
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2019, 08:20:35 am »

Don't forget the detention centers.

One of the most insensitive things I have heard in a long time on Hogville and that is saying something.

Eckwood suffers from dementia which was brought on by all of the concussions he received playing the game he loved. He has been in assisted living for the last 10 years or so. When he played for Tampa Bay, he always gave back to underprivileged children in the community with the money he made. Now days, he barely makes it with the money he gets. His family members handles his day to day affairs.

On his “good days”, he still speaks about his playing days at Arkansas with great pride and how he loved being a Razorback.

Some people will post anything to try and be funny. Hopefully you or one of your family members does not have to go through a debilitating mental illness such as this.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2019, 08:26:48 am »

Dmac is alone at the top....

This should be the one thing everyone agrees upon, can argue #2 through whatever, but has any Razorback FB put together a 2 year run where they were as unstoppable as DMAC?  Career numbers would be even better if HDN weren't so slow on the uptake his Fr year.  Hell even an asphalt parking lot couldn't stop him.  The parking lot still hasn't recovered.

liljo

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2019, 08:39:58 am »

I don’t remember him playing center. Maybe so.

You are correct. He was part of one of my favorite teams, the '82 bunch. All-American, one of two on the team (Billy Ray being the other).He played guard at Arkansas MOST of his career there, but also played some center, enough to develop the skill to play a lot of center in the NFL. For some reason I remembered him at center, probably due to his snapping the ball during the famous Arkansas-SMU game at Texas Stadium that year. I was in the stands that day, and STILL say we were robbed at the end.

That team had some great, great players. Remember Ron Faurot? Talk about DE play, Billy Ray on one side and Faurot on the other...And the O-line...Full Grown Men. In fact, I wish we had an identical offensive line on this year's squad. If we did, projections for this team would be MUCH higher.

duck slayer

• Varsity
« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2019, 09:27:27 am »

D-Mac is the 3rd leading rusher in SEC history, behind only Herschel Walker and Nick Chubb but ahead of greats such as Bo Jackson, Emmitt Smith, and Derrick Henry.

And he did all that while sharing the ball with two other amazing backs in Peyton Hillis and Felix Jones who put up over 3,500 yards rushing during his career.  Felix was a 1,000 yard rusher twice during DMac's career!!

I don't think anyone else on that list shared carries with two other future NFL backs the way DMac did.  For him to even make this list the way he shared the ball is absolutely incredible.  Did any of those guys have a teammate that put up 1,000 yards rushing even once?  Idk the answer honestly, but I think I know the answer is not a chance.

dsf

« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2019, 09:33:52 am »

As far as offense goes there have been two players since I’ve been watching that, every time when they touched the ball, they were a threat to take it to the house.  McFadden and Matt Jones.
Harry Jones would be included with that duo.

liljo

« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2019, 09:35:28 am »

And he did all that while sharing the ball with two other amazing backs in Peyton Hillis and Felix Jones who put up over 3,500 yards rushing during his career.  Felix was a 1,000 yard rusher twice during DMac's career!!

I don't think anyone else on that list shared carries with two other future NFL backs the way DMac did.  For him to even make this list the way he shared the ball is absolutely incredible.  Did any of those guys have a teammate that put up 1,000 yards rushing even once?  Idk the answer honestly, but I think I know the answer is not a chance.
An excellent point. I actually believe that team underachieved. There were probably coaches in America that would have won a national championship with that backfield, all other factors being equal.

redhogchilipepper

« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2019, 09:42:35 am »

DMac is at the top but Ronnie Caveness should be mentioned still holds most tackles in a game and most tackles in consecutive seasons after 50 years

Pudgepork

• Horse Racings most unlikely champ
« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2019, 10:32:00 am »

One of the most insensitive things I have heard in a long time on Hogville and that is saying something.

Eckwood suffers from dementia which was brought on by all of the concussions he received playing the game he loved. He has been in assisted living for the last 10 years or so. When he played for Tampa Bay, he always gave back to underprivileged children in the community with the money he made. Now days, he barely makes it with the money he gets. His family members handles his day to day affairs.

On his “good days”, he still speaks about his playing days at Arkansas with great pride and how he loved being a Razorback.

Some people will post anything to try and be funny. Hopefully you or one of your family members does not have to go through a debilitating mental illness such as this.

Thanks True Blue for the update on Eckwood.  The guys like Eckwood,Morton, Burnett deserve so much more respect for what they risked to play the game than the Internet brings them. It's pretty easy to criticize from behind the keyboard.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2019, 10:36:26 am »

IIRC one of Eckwoods Tampa teammates is or was helping pay for his treatment.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2019, 10:38:09 am »

Maybe I should have said possession charges "cocaine" close to that school you mentioned and I have had family on both the Mental side and possession side.
And yes I shouldn't have taken the shot. That area just hits me harder than others. Sorry for offending you.

AugustaHog

« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2019, 05:50:32 pm »

In the modern era (1980 to present), there has been only 4 elite Razorback players.

Wayne Martin
Steve Atwater
Quinn Grovey
Darren McFadden

It should be remembered that Grovey out-dueled a Heisman Trophy winner (Andre Ware).
Wrong.  Shawn Andrews was clearly elite.  The guy won the Outland Trophy and was a 2-time All American in his 3 years. 

HenduHog

• Razorbacks: Hostile and mobile
« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2019, 07:33:08 pm »

If you're talking about Batman Carroll then I just lol.  Last I heard, he was still grabbing handfuls of people's shirts as they passed him by.

This.  When Green Bay drafted him #1 I was like WTEEF? Did they never watch him at all?

HenduHog

« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2019, 07:34:37 pm »

And I would agree on DMac, but damn, Matt Jones was so fun to watch.

Pigsknuckles

• When you least expect it...
« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2019, 10:46:42 pm »

Matt Jones....not even close. Followed by Dmac and Felix Jones

Cotton

• Formerly of ESPN 8 "The Ocho"
« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2019, 08:16:37 am »

The 30 yard pitches on the option plays were my favorite lol

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2019, 08:32:00 am »

Imagine Matt Jones with Dmac, Hunter Henry, Jarius Wright, Greg Childs, and Cobi Hamilton..lol.. could it get better? Im sure some other receivers/TE could be interchangeable. Maybe Mallet at QB... But obviously nobody replaces Dmac.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #126 on: July 12, 2019, 08:38:46 am »

Wrong.  Shawn Andrews was clearly elite.  The guy won the Outland Trophy and was a 2-time All American in his 3 years. 

Andrews was great but he did not win the Outland Trophy.

PermianPig

• Band Nerd
« Reply #127 on: July 12, 2019, 08:40:35 am »

McFadden or Atwater

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #128 on: July 12, 2019, 08:43:28 am »

Andrews was great but he did not win the Outland Trophy.
yep was just a finalist for it. Was also a finalist for the Lombardi award.. and won the Jacobs trophy twice as the best blocker in the SEC.

navyhog24

« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2019, 08:43:55 am »

Who do you think is the most unstoppable Razorback to play for Arkansas?

Hog_Swanson

« Reply #130 on: July 12, 2019, 09:47:09 am »

There's at least one play where Joe Adams was absolutely unstoppable.

I went from yelling 'No, no, no!', to 'Go, go, go!'. One of the most exciting plays I've ever seen.
I'm still pissed he didn't win the Espy for that.  I must have voted a thousand times for that play.

HenduHog

« Reply #131 on: July 12, 2019, 09:53:59 am »

Just in case you've forgotten, or missed it:

Hog_Swanson

« Reply #132 on: July 12, 2019, 09:54:36 am »

Quinn Grovey was not elite. I think you have to be a first round draft pick to be considered elite
Tell that to Eli's back-up QB.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #133 on: July 12, 2019, 10:02:10 am »

My daughter who was bout 10-11 at the time named him "sideline Joe" that night, or on the night he made the long run from running back against AU. To this day, when in the stadium she says that his sideline and it shud be named so!

liljo

« Reply #134 on: July 12, 2019, 02:43:50 pm »

Pretty sure I've watched that return over a hundred times. And it is STILL amazing. The most sensational punt return I've ever seen. Little Joe Adams. That's where I came up with "LilJo".

Pigsknuckles

• When you least expect it...
« Reply #135 on: July 12, 2019, 03:02:32 pm »

Pretty sure I've watched that return over a hundred times. And it is STILL amazing. The most sensational punt return I've ever seen. Little Joe Adams. That's where I came up with "LilJo".

Sitting in Section 101 for that one. Thought the dust up at midfield was all over, then here he came.

Tejano Jawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go West ern Kentucky, young man.
« Reply #136 on: July 12, 2019, 05:33:06 pm »

Felix Jones numbers put him in the Elite mix. I've heard two D?C's that had to prepare against him say they feared him more than D-Mac. you knew DM was going to get yards before you got him but every play Jones was capable of taking it to the house . Both said the cringed when he touched the ball

Felix' numbers were astounding, no question. His last year for the Hogs he averaged 8.7 yards per carry. Yeah, I know when he and DMac were in the backfield, one linebacker always had his eyes on #5...but still, that still doesn't mean the field is wide open to take the ball 50, 60, 80 yards-per pop. That was all Felix. And I think he's one of the top several per-carry backs in history.

His first year for the Cowboys, he picked up where he left off, with a 8.9 per carry average. Unfortunately he only played half the season. The next year, playing in all but a couple games (with Marion Barber getting most of the carries), he set the Cowboys franchise record. And I think he still holds it. Look what he did that year in the big picture—think he should have gotten more touches?

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #137 on: July 12, 2019, 07:39:49 pm »

True enough. With either player on the field during their time, we were one play away from a potential score. DMac was a tough, strong willed runner that if given a crease, he might put it in the EZ. But Jones always amazed me with how he would take those long, loping strides that looked like he wasn't fast, but he nonetheless left a lot of defensive players just trying to catch up to him. Of course we all want to recall the good and great and overlook the not-so-good, so I get it. Pleasant memories are far better than remembering the times that they screwed up and both players had those times as well.

Pudgepork

• Horse Racings most unlikely champ
« Reply #138 on: July 12, 2019, 08:59:16 pm »

Dennis Johnson.  Was it against Florida that tacklers kept bouncing off of him?

liljo

« Reply #139 on: July 12, 2019, 09:48:05 pm »

DMac, Felix, Dennis, Madre, Eck, Gary Anderson, James Rouse, Barry Foster, Peyton Hillis, and a few others all had one thing in common. If you had one or two of them every year, you’d anticipate a great running game. One that could keep you in a lot of games.  One that could put games away in the 4th Q.

There’d be another pretty long list of backs that, in their day were very productive.

It’s late and I probably left some dandy’s off that top list, but I have fond memories of all those guys. Especially Madre, the one I followed from his 6th grade on. He was nowhere near his prime when he got hurt. Eckwood on the other hand was a full grown man at 17.

Awe, sorry y’all, I’m ramblin’ on...

liljo

« Reply #140 on: July 12, 2019, 09:49:46 pm »

My daughter who was bout 10-11 at the time named him "sideline Joe" that night, or on the night he made the long run from running back against AU. To this day, when in the stadium she says that his sideline and it shud be named so!

Man—that’s the Good Stuff.  ;)

TheRazorback500

• It's better to burn out than fade away.
« Reply #141 on: July 12, 2019, 10:01:35 pm »

Barry Foster. At least on one play.

alohawg

« Reply #142 on: July 13, 2019, 03:09:59 am »

God bless him, Jerry was great razorback and better person.

EarlCampbellsHotLink

• Varsity
« Reply #143 on: July 13, 2019, 04:34:36 am »

Dennis Johnson.  Was it against Florida that tacklers kept bouncing off of him?

He had about the biggest amount of fight in him of any Razorback ever.

lg1989

« Reply #144 on: July 13, 2019, 11:07:43 pm »

In my years of following the Hogs the most electric were:

DMac and Matt Jones are 1 and 1A can't split. Knile Davis and Cedric Cobbs both had their moments also.

hawginTN

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #145 on: July 14, 2019, 09:38:32 am »

Auburn says Fred Talley 😳

Swine-as-wine

• Senior
« Reply #146 on: July 16, 2019, 02:00:27 am »

DMac was the first name that popped in my head....immediately.  But we've had some really great players over the years.  Guys like Billy Ray Smith, Steve Atwater, Derek Russell, Felix Jones, Joe Adams, Quinn Grovey, Shawn Andrews, Matt Jones, Ryan Mallett (maybe not the most unstoppable - but what a gun), Gary Anderson, Hunter Henry, Frank Ragnow, Peyton Hillis, and on and on and on.  Imagine all those guys on the same team (and that's just off the top of my head).

Hell.......half of them WERE! lol

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #148 on: July 16, 2019, 08:36:14 am »

Forgot just how dang good Childs was during his time here... boy we were fun to watch during Petrinos days...https://youtu.be/pZ4jsFotl5U

EastexHawg

« Reply #149 on: July 16, 2019, 08:55:53 am »

Bill Burnett #33

"During his career the Hogs had a record of 28 wins and only 5 losses (3 times against Texas-Texas once again shows up as spoiler). Bill still holds the single season scoring record of 120 points scored in 1969 on 20 touchdowns based on 209 carries for 900 yards. He also holds the career scoring record of 294 points from 1968 through 1970. Throughout his career, he scored 49 touchdowns and rushed for 2,204 yards on 526 carries. What a legend! As one of the true legends in Razorback football history, he has been selected as a member of the University of Arkansas Hall of Honor. With his selection in 1996, Bill along with Clell, and Bobby make up the only football family honored with three members belonging to the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame. In the classroom, Bill was no slacker either, after having been selected as an Academic All-American for his efforts there."

Bill Burnett was my first football hero.  He looked like Opie but was a touchdown machine.  I always wanted a helmet with the vertical bar like he wore.  On top of everything else, he never fumbled as a Razorback.

I got to have lunch with him when I was a teenager.  What a thrill!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas