• 10,569,428 Posts
• 416,062 Topics
• 23,902 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving to DFW  (Read 2906 times)

Polecat

• All-American Hogvillian
  • WPS!
Moving to DFW
« on: July 09, 2019, 02:48:28 pm »

Mods, move to different board if need be.

Moving to DFW in a few weeks. My sales area will be Coppell/Los Colinas. We've looked at some of the new builds in Frisco as well. The abundance of toll roads around Frisco give me some pause. Just looking for some input on which communities in the are that my Hog brethren would suggest. Thanks a bunch

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
Re: Moving to DFW
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 02:59:36 pm »

Where are you moving from? Will you be traveling for your job such that a commute is not as big of a deal? Are schools important to you?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

HoggHead

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 03:08:53 pm »

Moving to DFW in a few weeks. My sales area will be Coppell/Los Colinas. We've looked at some of the new builds in Frisco as well. The abundance of toll roads around Frisco give me some pause. Just looking for some input on which communities in the are that my Hog brethren would suggest. Thanks a bunch

FYI...traffic is atrocious whether you use NTTA roads or not. DFW has had such an influx in population that the infrastructure and roads are vastly overcrowded at all times of day. Consider a staggered work schedule if the employer agrees. Possibly working a 6am to 3pm sched.  Key factors to consider are school ratings (if kids), property taxes (add 0 if moving from AR), proximity to office, and lastly proximity to DFW airport if extensive travel required for your new role.

The Slop Nazi

• Varsity
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 03:13:05 pm »

Valley Ranch, Grapevine, Southlake, Flower Mound areas would be much closer to your work area than Frisco.

twistitup

• Gold Hogvillian
  • #gigantedormido
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 03:13:16 pm »

Life lesson:

Try to drive to the west in the mornings and east in the evenings.... driving into the sun both ways es no bueno. Don't live west of where you will be working.

HoggHead

• Band Nerd
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 03:15:50 pm »

Valley Ranch, Grapevine, Southlake, Flower Mound areas would be much closer to your work area than Frisco.

The tragedy I learned firsthand is that all these school districts cost almost as much as college. ;D

Cotton

• Formerly of ESPN 8 "The Ocho"
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 04:13:26 pm »

STAY ON THE WEST SIDE OF THE METRO

Polecat

• WPS!
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 04:58:30 pm »

Where are you moving from? Will you be traveling for your job such that a commute is not as big of a deal? Are schools important to you?

My kid is 3 years old. So schools are important currently only for resale value of the home.
The commute is a big deal. Moving from just north of Houston.

We looked at some homes in Coppell. I think Grapevine or Flower Mound would be close enough, if not Coppell.

Polecat

• WPS!
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 04:58:49 pm »

STAY ON THE WEST SIDE OF THE METRO

Could you elaborate on this? Thanks man

hawginbigd1

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 05:00:52 pm »

contrary to some i love the toll roads, my many travels around the metroplex have generally all been smoother and pleasant on the toll roads. there are no collection gates that i am aware of and I have my credit card linked to my toll tag, so I never have any worries. all of these spots north of Dallas are pretty good spots, but the state income taxes you won't have will be gobbled up by property, county and school taxes and then some. South of Dallas in the Eastern parts of Mansfield, Grand Prairie, and Cedar hill are areas that are a little cheaper on housing and taxes and offer a decent commute to the Las Colinas area.

LAHogfan123

• Senior
  • Hogzilla
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 05:16:39 pm »

I'm sorry.

TXArcher

• Varsity
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 05:28:58 pm »

I'm sorry you need to live in the Dallas area, Dallas and Fort Worth are two very different areas. The saying he is, if I die in Dallas, drag my ars back to FTW.

In Burleson here. Depending on your position/liberty, you can hop the TRE train in FTW and be in Dallas in an hour. Don't overlook the DART trains from far North Dallas to downtown. Dallas sucks hind titty.

ImHogginIt

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 05:29:15 pm »

Life lesson:

Try to drive to the west in the mornings and east in the evenings.... driving into the sun both ways es no bueno. Don't live west of where you will be working.

I used to drive North and South to work in Dallas. I work nights and the past 6 years I drive West and East  to work in Plano and get the Sun each way. Sometimes it is brutal fighting the Sun and the traffic

That said it sounds like he should check out Flower Mound, Coppell, Southlake

Papawhawg

• Varsity
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 05:44:37 pm »

Midlothian is a nice town. My son lives there.

Gonzo

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 05:59:10 pm »

I would second the west side sentiment, I think Tarrant country has more of a local/Texas flavor (the latter might be a negative for some) and its own identity than Dallas or Collin counties. Considering where your territory is Grapevine is a nice choice with its own identity and downtown area rather than being just another bedroom suburb, and it's not far from Coppell/Las Colinas via 121 and 114.

I've lived in the north side of Arlington for about 25 years and if you don't mind a bit more of a commute (probably 30-35 minutes or so to that area, not outlandish at all by DFW standards) this area, including our downtown area, is gentrifying and redeveloping rapidly the last few years, not to mention being one of the biggest sports and entertainment hubs in the area.

Go Hogs!

widespreadsooie

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2019, 09:36:20 pm »

The Wasp's Nest

Cotton

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2019, 08:35:13 am »

Could you elaborate on this? Thanks man
The further east, the more stuck up and big city feel.  The further west, the nicer the people are.

Take Hwy 360 and 121 and pick something west of that. I lived in Fort Worth for 2 years and worked all over the DFW metro.

Cotton

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 08:40:24 am »

I'm sorry you need to live in the Dallas area, Dallas and Fort Worth are two very different areas. The saying he is, if I die in Dallas, drag my ars back to FTW.

In Burleson here. Depending on your position/liberty, you can hop the TRE train in FTW and be in Dallas in an hour. Don't overlook the DART trains from far North Dallas to downtown. Dallas sucks hind titty.
I would second the west side sentiment, I think Tarrant country has more of a local/Texas flavor (the latter might be a negative for some) and its own identity than Dallas or Collin counties. Considering where your territory is Grapevine is a nice choice with its own identity and downtown area rather than being just another bedroom suburb, and it's not far from Coppell/Las Colinas via 121 and 114.

I've lived in the north side of Arlington for about 25 years and if you don't mind a bit more of a commute (probably 30-35 minutes or so to that area, not outlandish at all by DFW standards) this area, including our downtown area, is gentrifying and redeveloping rapidly the last few years, not to mention being one of the biggest sports and entertainment hubs in the area.

Go Hogs!

Obviously I'm not alone in my sentiments. Fort Worth is a great city. Keller is a great suburb to live in.  Even the HEB (Hurst Euless Bedford) area is nice if you want to be in the mix of things and closer to your job destination.

If you want to escape some of the city, Saginaw and Azle would be a good option for you as they are nice neighborhood communities that have recently developed just outside the reach of FW.

If you go the Southlake Flower Mound route you're going to way over pay for housing and schools.

twistitup

• Gold Hogvillian
  • #gigantedormido
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2019, 09:21:36 am »

The further east, the more stuck up and big city feel.  The further west, the nicer the people are.

Take Hwy 360 and 121 and pick something west of that. I lived in Fort Worth for 2 years and worked all over the DFW metro.

broad brush time!!

I'm born and raised NE of the Metroplex about 30 minutes. What locations on the east side feels stuck up and big city?

Cotton

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2019, 10:09:52 am »

broad brush time!!

I'm born and raised NE of the Metroplex about 30 minutes. What locations on the east side feels stuck up and big city?
Definitely spoke in generalities... Inside of the turnpike always felt that way to me. Garland had a decent vibe to it, but I would still recommend Tarrant county over all others.

More specifically anything outside of Dallas county.

HoggHead

• Band Nerd
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2019, 01:54:56 pm »

Definitely spoke in generalities... Inside of the turnpike always felt that way to me. Garland had a decent vibe to it, but I would still recommend Tarrant county over all others.

More specifically anything outside of Dallas county.

There are definitely the privileged and entitled few. However, all the growth is also happening in NE Dallas. I believe Rockwall and Tarrant counties were recently ranked #1/2 as most affluent counties in TX.

Cotton

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2019, 02:07:48 pm »

There are definitely the privileged and entitled few. However, all the growth is also happening in NE Dallas. I believe Rockwall and Tarrant counties were recently ranked #1/2 as most affluent counties in TX.
North Fort Worth is growing like crazy as well.

hog of steele

• Yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2019, 02:10:48 pm »

This will also save you some headaches of being in actual Dallas.

For general information, being next to toll road is good for the future value of your home. You will likely use them.

Cotton

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2019, 04:11:42 pm »

This will also save you some headaches of being in actual Dallas.

For general information, being next to toll road is good for the future value of your home. You will likely use them.
Also get a Tolltag on your car. It basically charges your debit card $40 and gives you a running balance to use on the tolls. Every time you get down to $10 or so it reloads automatically.

HoggHead

• Band Nerd
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2019, 10:03:10 am »

Consider the pros/cons of buying new vs. pre-existing in DFW. Some new home builders offer some really great incentives when you finance through them. I would still involve a realtor as some of the builders can get you in the fine print. Pre-existing homes will most likely have settled on their foundations which is a relief. Settlement is not a big issue in most geographies but in DFW we water our lawns frequently. Yes, it's to have a green lawn but it's also to keep our foundation slabs from moving under the pressure of the clay earth here. It's a BIG deal if you didn't know.

ImHogginIt

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2019, 10:24:21 am »

Consider the pros/cons of buying new vs. pre-existing in DFW. Some new home builders offer some really great incentives when you finance through them. I would still involve a realtor as some of the builders can get you in the fine print. Pre-existing homes will most likely have settled on their foundations which is a relief. Settlement is not a big issue in most geographies but in DFW we water our lawns frequently. Yes, it's to have a green lawn but it's also to keep our foundation slabs from moving under the pressure of the clay earth here. It's a BIG deal if you didn't know.

And don't plant things next to the house that require lots of moisture and have large roots like holly's and red tips. We had to end up having foundation piers on three corners of our house. :-[ :-[ We also had root barriers installed because we planted oak trees in the front yard and the West side of the house. Also if owning a home here don't forget to have a soaker hose all around the house.

HoggHead

• Band Nerd
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2019, 11:21:14 am »

And don't plant things next to the house that require lots of moisture and have large roots like holly's and red tips. We had to end up having foundation piers on three corners of our house. :-[ :-[ We also had root barriers installed because we planted oak trees in the front yard and the West side of the house. Also if owning a home here don't forget to have a soaker hose all around the house.

These are ALL facts! The soaker hose is a life saver at times.

sevenof400

• Is it too late to remember what was best in life?
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2019, 11:23:41 am »

Polecat,

After all this, inquiring minds want to know - are you reconsidering?

HoggHead

• Band Nerd
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2019, 12:06:18 pm »

Polecat,

Well, DFW is currently one of very few job markets where you can say "I don't need this job" and actually mean it. So there's that built in luxury and security depending on your industry.

Cotton

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2019, 12:17:25 pm »

All things aside, I loved living in Fort Worth.

twistitup

• Gold Hogvillian
  • #gigantedormido
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2019, 12:43:15 pm »

All things aside, I loved living in Fort Worth.

...and I loved living in the NE Metro Area

It's all a matter of what you have become accustomed to.

Cotton

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2019, 01:42:11 pm »

...and I loved living in the NE Metro Area

It's all a matter of what you have become accustomed to.
Don't listen to twist, he only gives good food advice.

sevenof400

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2019, 02:23:16 pm »

Don't listen to twist, he only gives good food advice.

But that is pretty darn important and useful!

Cotton

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2019, 03:36:54 pm »

But that is pretty darn important and useful!
Lets check,

Twist, where are the best Tacos in DFW?

Or drop a top 5 list.

twistitup

• Gold Hogvillian
  • #gigantedormido
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2019, 04:22:18 pm »

Lets check,

Twist, where are the best Tacos in DFW?

Nuevo Leon

Cotton

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2019, 04:24:09 pm »

Juanitos Taqueria is my favorite by far.

Polecat

• WPS!
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2019, 10:22:01 am »

Juanitos Taqueria is my favorite by far.

We ate at Velvet Taco when we visited. Pretty damn good

Polecat

• WPS!
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2019, 10:22:58 am »

Polecat,

No sir. I'm signed and delivered. Just looking for the right spot to buy a house now.

sevenof400

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2019, 10:27:38 am »

No sir. I'm signed and delivered. Just looking for the right spot to buy a house now.

Thanks for the update and the best of luck and fortune to you in this search and your new job!

Polecat

• WPS!
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2019, 10:35:11 am »

Thanks for the update and the best of luck and fortune to you in this search and your new job!

Thanks man. Looking a Highland Village area currently. What do you boys know about that area? It fits the criteria some have said about staying West. And it doesn't look too far from Coppell/Las Colinas

Cotton

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2019, 12:13:42 pm »

Thanks man. Looking a Highland Village area currently. What do you boys know about that area? It fits the criteria some have said about staying West. And it doesn't look too far from Coppell/Las Colinas
35E will bottle up pretty bad on your commute but other than that its not a bad area.  I worked in Flower Mound a few times a month when I was in FW.

yraciv

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2019, 03:25:43 pm »

I’m moving to Savannah, TX and looked in Prosper, McKinney as well. You get a little more bang for your buck on north side than Frisco, but still plenty going on. I currently live in Frisco. For commute, I take no tolls and work in las Colinas. It is usually 45 min, hour max. It sucks, but is much better than where I came from. Flexible work arrangements are important and common here

HawgPilot

• Hogvillian
  • Mile High Club- President®
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2019, 09:48:18 am »

My family and i moved to the DFW area in May.  Chose to live in Argyle and we enjoy the heck out living here.  Close to about everything particularly on about a 20-25 min drive to Fort Worth.

Melancholy_Pigg

• It was the same old song with the Melancholy sound
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2019, 10:32:48 am »

Go Hogs!

Lol!  Yeah maybe 30 years ago.

Melancholy_Pigg

• It was the same old song with the Melancholy sound
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2019, 10:35:15 am »

Yes the tolls will annoy you.  Grapevine should be okay for the foreseeable future.  Avoid Plano and the PISD.  Good luck!

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2019, 04:56:34 pm »

Just moved from Cypress to Murphy (Plano ISD).  But, I have a home office and don't fight that daily commute.  In my experience DFW traffic is every bit as bad--if not worse--than Houston traffic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas