• 10,456,311 Posts
• 412,750 Topics
• 23,600 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MASON JONES  (Read 3830 times)

Wi11ieBeamin

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
MASON JONES
« on: July 09, 2019, 10:50:58 am »

I have little doubt in my mind that Mason Jones will make the biggest jump next year in means of overall ability and production. He just has the mentality to be great and is putting in the work this summer to get there. His biggest flaws were defense and athleticism. It would almost seem as if he would be getting gassed at the end of ball games and his production would decrease. But you can just tell this off-season that heís been working on conditioning and improving his agility.  Iím so pumped to see Jones and Joe next year together with a whole season under Muss coaching them up. Itís gonna be deadly

The Hogfather

Re: MASON JONES
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 11:29:11 am »

I have little doubt in my mind that Mason Jones will make the biggest jump next year in means of overall ability and production. He just has the mentality to be great and is putting in the work this summer to get there. His biggest flaws were defense and athleticism. It would almost seem as if he would be getting gassed at the end of ball games and his production would decrease. But you can just tell this off-season that he’s been working on conditioning and improving his agility.  I’m so pumped to see Jones and Joe next year together with a whole season under Muss coaching them up. It’s gonna be deadly

Agreed!  Going to be very fun to watch this team next season.  Jones just has a calmness about his game that I love to see.  Never looks like he's out-of-control or rushing things.  No wasted motion.  He was a great find for us and I'm very glad to have him.  He and Joe make up a very dynamic duo.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

King Kong

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 11:33:01 am »

What line are we putting his over dunk total for next year? 1.5?

I love Jones game and work ethic

Smithian

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 11:35:11 am »

This thread title scared me.

I agree with the contents.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 11:59:47 am »

Which one of his stats in your opinion goes up? 

Scoring, rebounding, assists??????????

Seebs

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 01:30:50 pm »

Mason Jar is a Ball.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 01:54:56 pm »

good question, there's an article floating around that he is one of the top returning players in the conference according to efficiency ratings, I certainly think others on the team making a bigger jump would be a greater impact on the team.

Foshodo

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 02:18:25 pm »

found out yesterday that his brother is playing for the Team Arkansas thing... kind of strange but i liked it. I hope Mason and Joe are able to both be "on" several nights this coming season. we'll win a lot of games is thats the case.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 02:39:42 pm »

Agreed!  Going to be very fun to watch this team next season.  Jones just has a calmness about his game that I love to see.  Never looks like he's out-of-control or rushing things.  No wasted motion. He was a great find for us and I'm very glad to have him.  He and Joe make up a very dynamic duo.

I have to hand it to CMA and the staff on this one. I remember the "we beat UCA out for him" crowd on here just lighting it up. He didn't get real run until the JC tournament in late March or earl April. What a ball player. He could almost be playing with a toothpick in his mouth. His game seems old school. Jumps just high enough, sneaks into the lane and gets position, shows up at the right place more often than not.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 02:42:41 pm »

Maybe none. Maybe shooting % or steals, maybe decreases turnovers or becomes a better defender.  He could be a much better player and no stats go up. I hope his game winning shots go up!!

Wi11ieBeamin

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 03:46:51 pm »

His stats donít have to go up for him to improve. He just needs to get in better shape and improve his D for him to become an ALL SEC player

pigzwillrise

• All-American Hogvillian
  • WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 05:19:10 pm »

I think he will see the biggest decline in stats. I think Joe will obviously shine plus Sills, Chaney showing the most improvement.

dsf

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 05:21:14 pm »

His stats donít have to go up for him to improve. He just needs to get in better shape and improve his D for him to become an ALL SEC player
He is too slow to get much better...probably reached his ceiling.

RaisinHog

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 05:59:17 pm »

his stats will likely go up just from increased minutes .. how many minutes did he average last year?

Hawg Red

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 06:59:03 pm »

I have to hand it to CMA and the staff on this one. I remember the "we beat UCA out for him" crowd on here just lighting it up. He didn't get real run until the JC tournament in late March or earl April. What a ball player. He could almost be playing with a toothpick in his mouth. His game seems old school. Jumps just high enough, sneaks into the lane and gets position, shows up at the right place more often than not.

Players like Mason and Coty Clarke highlighted Mikeís brilliance at JUCO recruiting. Itís easy to identify guys like Macon and Barford who were national JUCO players early, but to unearth guys like Jones and Durham and Clarke was a strength of his. Mikeís ďworstĒ JUCO recruit was Arlando Cook who was up there just outside of Macon and Barford in that JUCO class, and if weíll remember, was originally committed to Eric Musselman at Nevada for a time before flipping to the Hogs. Just didnít pan out but the process was sound.

hawgmasta

• I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2019, 07:11:03 pm »

Players like Mason and Coty Clarke highlighted Mikeís brilliance at JUCO recruiting. Itís easy to identify guys like Macon and Barford who were national JUCO players early, but to unearth guys like Jones and Durham and Clarke was a strength of his. Mikeís ďworstĒ JUCO recruit was Arlando Cook who was up there just outside of Macon and Barford in that JUCO class, and if weíll remember, was originally committed to Eric Musselman at Nevada for a time before flipping to the Hogs. Just didnít pan out but the process was sound.

Man, thatís a great comparison in Coty Clarke. Jones is gonna be that glue guy stretch 3ish in Muss system. Iím so pumped for both football and basketball this next year! Letís GOOOO!!!

cardinalhawg

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2019, 11:31:10 pm »

There is definitely room for growth and improvement and that either involving increased efficiency and/or better numbers in general.  He now has a year of SEC play under his belt during which this past season his shooting percentages dropped while his scoring was up some.  He adjusted well for someone in their first season making the jump from Juco to SEC Basketball.

His two point and three point percentages could easily go up along with more free throw volume (which was good last year) and rebound due to his build and adding both more strength and endurance during the offseason.  He comes across as a high IQ player who will get better and figure things out even more.

Jones and Joe averaged 27.5 points combined last season.  I could see that combined total increased anywhere to between 30-35 points next season.  Then start adding in some possible projections from others and we can get to a good offensive numbers per game, but I do see defense and rebounding being some challenges for the team.  Joe has room to improve on two point efficiency, more free throw volume and shooting at a 85-90% clip instead of the mid 70%.  I can see Mason shooting around 40% from three point distance this coming year and improving his two point efficiency as well. 

hogwood

• Just Chillin' Like A Villain
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 08:14:41 am »

Starting backcourt of Whitt, Joe, and Jones could be very good... One of the best in the conference IMO.

Hawg Red

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2019, 08:18:21 am »

Starting backcourt of Whitt, Joe, and Jones could be very good... One of the best in the conference IMO.

Agreed.

Wish we had a little more in the frontcourt but it sounds like Jeantal Cylla could be unlocked, for lack of a better word, under Musselman. If that happens and Chaney makes a sizeable jump, we might be alright.

hogwood

• Just Chillin' Like A Villain
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2019, 08:32:51 am »

Agreed.

Wish we had a little more in the frontcourt but it sounds like Jeantal Cylla could be unlocked, for lack of a better word, under Musselman. If that happens and Chaney makes a sizeable jump, we might be alright.

I think the forward spots are going to be rough. But this will really test the merits of small ball and pace and space. I'm sure Muss is up for the challenge.

If Henderson can come off the bench for 6ppg and some defense, and Vanover gets cleared, then we'll be more than fine playing with Cylla/Chaney/Vanover/Henderson lineups.

Hawg Red

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2019, 08:38:49 am »

I think the forward spots are going to be rough. But this will really test the merits of small ball and pace and space. I'm sure Muss is up for the challenge.

If Henderson can come off the bench for 6ppg and some defense, and Vanover gets cleared, then we'll be more than fine playing with Cylla/Chaney/Vanover/Henderson lineups.

Oh, if Vanover is eligible, I feel A LOT better.

Who knows, maybe Gabe and Bailey surprise us with some development. Henderson is definitely a wildcard for us.

Smithian

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2019, 08:56:29 am »

I can see Mason Jones upping his scoring average. JUCOs typically get a lot better season two. Not sure about assists and rebounds since those are more random.

Smithian

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2019, 09:14:41 am »

Oh, if Vanover is eligible, I feel A LOT better.

Who knows, maybe Gabe and Bailey surprise us with some development. Henderson is definitely a wildcard for us.
Vanover makes a lot of things fit better, but I'm not holding out hope. I don't think he would be a game changer but he'd give Musselman more options.

I've been banging the drum for Gabe and Bailey for a while. They're both athletic, scrappy players who last season had to carry too much of the offensive load out of pure necessity. This season they'll be in a more set offense and instead of being forced to take bail out shots they'll be asked to screen and play smaller roles.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2019, 09:43:10 am »

Vanover makes a lot of things fit better, but I'm not holding out hope. I don't think he would be a game changer but he'd give Musselman more options.

I've been banging the drum for Gabe and Bailey for a while. They're both athletic, scrappy players who last season had to carry too much of the offensive load out of pure necessity. This season they'll be in a more set offense and instead of being forced to take bail out shots they'll be asked to screen and play smaller roles.
Those two will have plenty of "open looks."  Gabe is actually a decent passer.

hoglady

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2019, 10:00:02 am »

I don't know - to me he seemed to have probably the highest basketball IQ on the team.
That can make up for a lot.
I will be surprised if he's not one of the team leaders - showing others how Muss wants the game played.

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2019, 10:09:32 am »

I like Mason. He is a great shooter. But I donít expect his numbers to increase. I expect a decline. Sills will come on strong.

Hawg Red

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2019, 10:09:54 am »

He appears to be doing everything in his power to redefine his athletic ceiling.

hoglady

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2019, 10:24:00 am »

I like Mason. He is a great shooter. But I don’t expect his numbers to increase. I expect a decline. Sills will come on strong.

I expect Sills to come on, too.
It just seems when you hear Muss talk about the team and players he talks to for team input - it's Jones and Sills.
I expect Jones to have a big year.

Hawg Red

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2019, 11:12:08 am »

Jones is going to ball. He's going to be better just about everywhere, IMO. Everything pointing in that direction.

- Decided before Musselman was even hired he was staying at Arkansas.

- Has continued to re-shape his body.

- Offense should help him out tremendously compared to last season.

- His JUCO "transition year" was 13.6 PPG, 3.9 RPG, 2.8 APG, 0.9 SPG, 3rd highest PER on team (behind two NBA players/prospects), win shares right in line with Isaiah Joe, actually had 2nd highest usage % on the team.

- Now gets a higher level of coaching/attention to detail.

Arrow is pointing up on Mason Jones. Not sure why anyone would think this player has maxed out already.

rzrbackramsfan

• "Winners never quit, quitters never win"
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2019, 11:25:25 am »

I honestly thought Jones was a pretty good defender.  Not an all star but always stayed with his man. Sills, on the other hand, who is lauded a great defender, he seemed to get lost on d for long stretches giving up open 3ís.

hawg66

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2019, 11:44:11 am »

I agree. Both will get minutes. With the lack of size Gabeís defense will be valuable in the middle.

RaisinHog

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2019, 02:32:52 pm »

I honestly thought Jones was a pretty good defender.  Not an all star but always stayed with his man. Sills, on the other hand, who is lauded a great defender, he seemed to get lost on d for long stretches giving up open 3ís.

well sills defensive rating showed he wasn't a very good defender

daprospecta

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2019, 03:02:23 pm »

I went from barely being able to dunk January of my freshman year on the hill to damn near doing a 360 by August of that same year and all it took was weight loss and a determination to become a better athlete. You will be surprised how athletic people are after they put 3-4 months into box jumps, pulling/pushing sleds, ladder drills and running with parachutes etc.

niels_boar

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2019, 04:35:16 pm »

Against UF at home Mason scored 30 points on 69% eFG% and 12 of 13 from the line when the rest of the team shot 24% eFG% and 3 of 13 from the line.  UF was one of the best defensive teams in the nation.  If anybody else on the team had hit a shot that day (I mean, any shot from anywhere), we would have won that game, which would have had us pretty close to the bubble.  To have a day like that against a defense that good when the rest of the team is that terrible is pretty spectacular.  It doesn't happen by luck.  He's got potential to put up big numbers.  I never thought it was a good decision to take him out of the starting lineup.  He was our most complete player last year.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2019, 05:03:26 pm »

Against UF at home Mason scored 30 points on 69% eFG% and 12 of 13 from the line when the rest of the team shot 24% eFG% and 3 of 13 from the line.  UF was one of the best defensive teams in the nation.  If anybody else on the team had hit a shot that day (I mean, any shot from anywhere), we would have won that game, which would have had us pretty close to the bubble.  To have a day like that against a defense that good when the rest of the team is that terrible is pretty spectacular.  It doesn't happen by luck.  He's got potential to put up big numbers.  I never thought it was a good decision to take him out of the starting lineup.  He was our most complete player last year.
Oh, you mean THAT Mason Jones!

dsf

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2019, 08:16:21 pm »

I went from barely being able to dunk January of my freshman year on the hill to damn near doing a 360 by August of that same year and all it took was weight loss and a determination to become a better athlete. You will be surprised how athletic people are after they put 3-4 months into box jumps, pulling/pushing sleds, ladder drills and running with parachutes etc.
Hope so...

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2019, 07:41:02 pm »

They didn't carry a whole lot. As a matter of fact what they carried  offensively would fit in a small sandwich bag. i hope they improve a lot in the off season

jchill

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2019, 09:08:18 pm »

Agreed!  Going to be very fun to watch this team next season.  Jones just has a calmness about his game that I love to see.  Never looks like he's out-of-control or rushing things.  No wasted motion.  He was a great find for us and I'm very glad to have him.  He and Joe make up a very dynamic duo.

Reminds me of Marlon Towns.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2019, 07:58:19 am »

I have been all in on Mason Jones since last year and Iíve always thought that  his game will continue to mature into an All SEC type of player this year or next.  I expect big things from him and Joe this season. Funny how some relegated Mason to the bench when they thought Moss was coming here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas