General Sports Discussion > NBA Board

Just my opinion

Pages: (1/1)

husker71:

I have been seriously following the NBA since 1968 and think the last 8 weeks have been the most exciting both on and off the court. Maybe the 3 top players in Durant and Davis and Leonard on other teams and dont forget many of the others like Kyrie and George and Butler.  Exciting games with darkhorse winner and the greatest trade period any of us have ever seen.  I am really liking the direction of the NBA now

hoglady:

I liked the old days where Jordan was a Bull, Bird was a Celtic, Magic was a Laker, Malone in Utah, Isaiah Thomas was a Piston.
The stars are just moving around too much, conspiring with other stars to make a super team.
Back then stars didn't want to team up with other stars - they wanted to beat the crap out of them on the floor to prove who was the best.

Dr. Starcs:

Yep. Mentality of todayís players is so weak. I havenít watched a minute of nba in at least 5 years.

And there were some older players like that as well, donít get me wrong. Just much more prevalent in todayís game. 

husker71:

the game and the world have changed. Now all these guys all know each other since 8th grade and in the world of social media are in near constant contact. By the way both Jordan and Malone moved by their own wanting to the other teams

alohawg:


--- Quote from: hoglady on July 07, 2019, 11:05:33 pm ---I liked the old days where Jordan was a Bull, Bird was a Celtic, Magic was a Laker, Malone in Utah, Isaiah Thomas was a Piston.
The stars are just moving around too much, conspiring with other stars to make a super team.
Back then stars didn't want to team up with other stars - they wanted to beat the crap out of them on the floor to prove who was the best.

--- End quote ---

Agree 100%

hoglady:


--- Quote from: husker71 on July 08, 2019, 05:35:36 pm ---the game and the world have changed. Now all these guys all know each other since 8th grade and in the world of social media are in near constant contact. By the way both Jordan and Malone moved by their own wanting to the other teams

--- End quote ---

Malone spent 18 years with the Jazz.
He moved to the Lakers in his final 2 years when he was past his prime.

Jordan was with the Bulls from 1984-1998 (minus the couple of years he quit basketball and toyed with baseball).
His playing time with the Wizards was after he came back from a 2nd retirement.

Malone and Jordan played almost their entire careers with the same team.
By the time they played a couple of years with another team they were well past their prime.


Baseball is the same way - very few players stay with one team throughout most of their careers anymore.



TexHog188:

I don't like the direction of the league; i.e. super teams.  Fans in smaller markets get the shaft and games are really boring when the outcome is almost always predetermined.  Might as well be wrestling.

sevenof400:


--- Quote from: TexHog188 on July 13, 2019, 12:06:31 pm ---I don't like the direction of the league; i.e. super teams.  Fans in smaller markets get the shaft and games are really boring when the outcome is almost always predetermined.  Might as well be wrestling.

--- End quote ---

For all the discussion about the health of the NBA, the lack of overall league competitiveness is something you do not hear much about.

To be clear, I hate the NBA because whatever they are playing these days (well, for several years actually) bears little semblance to basketball.  But let's ignore that for a moment.

For all of its sins, the NFL better understands you need to keep as many teams competitive as you can.  I am not saying the NFL gets everything correct (and the NBA gets everything wrong) but overall fan interest in the NFL is far superior to that in the NBA.  In part, that is due to more teams being competitive than in the NBA.

Pages: (1/1)

Go to full version