Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aruba  (Read 1964 times)

The OTR

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Iím sure this makes everyone happy.
Aruba
« on: July 03, 2019, 07:24:56 pm »

Any suggestions for restaurants or things to see?  Headed there next week.  Already have a hotel so do not need suggestions for that.

HogPharmer

Re: Aruba
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 11:09:13 pm »

I didnít know you could drive a truck to Aruba?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

The OTR

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 11:12:03 pm »

This is why I almost didnít post anything here but thought some local jokel like your buddy HIM might know of a good hole in the wall restaurant or something. 

HogPharmer

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 11:14:13 pm »

The wife and I hit Aruba on a cruise stop during our honeymoon. We went to a place called Lucyís Retired Surfer Shop or something like that. It has a neat, open air atmosphere and some sort of weird ďscorpion shotĒ where they drop a scorpion into a shot glass.... I guess if youíre into that sort of thing, itís cool to say you did it.

HogPharmer

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 11:15:49 pm »

From what we saw, it was a very nice island. We went snorkeling and enjoyed it. Thereís lots of shopping there too I think. The biggest thing: it is WINDY. Chicago has nothing on Aruba when it comes to the wind.

jbcarol

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 07:19:49 am »

Steer clear from anyone named Van Der Sloot

jbcarol

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 07:36:50 am »

Steer clear from anyone named Van Der Sloot

Unless Amos Moses can travel internationally.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 09:33:31 pm by jbcarol »

HogPharmer

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 08:08:34 am »

This is why I almost didnít post anything here but thought some local jokel like your buddy HIM might know of a good hole in the wall restaurant or something.

Aruba is for peasants. HiM only travels on the finest equipment to the finest locations. He wouldnít be caught dead a place like Aruba.

BallHog1

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 06:12:04 pm »

Any suggestions for restaurants or things to see?  Headed there next week.  Already have a hotel so do not need suggestions for that.
Mostly because we're all kind of tired of your endless need for attention through humble brags about your vacations, I'd like to suggest you invest in a one way ticket and just stay there if you really go somewhere.

BallHog1

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 06:12:38 pm »

No offense

The OTR

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2019, 02:45:39 pm »

No offense

None taken.  Best advice Iíve received is to drink a scorpion so I doubt I come back here for any travel advice. 

If youíd get off your lazy a$$ you could go with us.  I invited you to Vegas but oh no youíre too important to go to Vegas for a few days. 

The OTR

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 11:08:29 pm »

The wife and I hit Aruba on a cruise stop during our honeymoon. We went to a place called Lucyís Retired Surfer Shop or something like that. It has a neat, open air atmosphere and some sort of weird ďscorpion shotĒ where they drop a scorpion into a shot glass.... I guess if youíre into that sort of thing, itís cool to say you did it.

Are there tonight. Right on the harbor. Food was decent but nothing to write home about.  Didnít drink a scorpion, though. 

HogPharmer

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 11:07:32 am »

Are there tonight. Right on the harbor. Food was decent but nothing to write home about.  Didnít drink a scorpion, though.

Place has a neat environment. We didn't stay long. Just long enough for one drink. We were walking around trying to find a place with WiFi so we could facetime with my daughter. Had to go to the mall across the street.

The OTR

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2019, 03:30:19 pm »

Place has a neat environment. We didn't stay long. Just long enough for one drink. We were walking around trying to find a place with WiFi so we could facetime with my daughter. Had to go to the mall across the street.

Yeah that mall is part of the Renaissance hotel.  We went to renaissance island yesterday.  Flamingos and iguanas.  It is an awesome place to visit.  Expensive since we not staying at that hotel and to be assured of a spot you have to book a massage and meals and everything.  But it was well worth it.    In fact I would rate Aruba better than pretty much any place we have gone the last several years.  The water is the most clear Iíve ever seen and there are no waves. The water is really shallow as well so everyone is spread out and not just close to the shore.  We are on the northwest part of Aruba.  Sand is white and gorgeous.  Canít believe we didnít know about this place or ever come here before.  We are taking the most of the family to Cancun next month. I really like Cancun but after being here it will be a little bit of a let down.

thebignasty

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • This one goes to 11.
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2019, 04:29:08 pm »

Yeah that mall is part of the Renaissance hotel.  We went to renaissance island yesterday.  Flamingos and iguanas.  It is an awesome place to visit.  Expensive since we not staying at that hotel and to be assured of a spot you have to book a massage and meals and everything.  But it was well worth it.    In fact I would rate Aruba better than pretty much any place we have gone the last several years.  The water is the most clear Iíve ever seen and there are no waves. The water is really shallow as well so everyone is spread out and not just close to the shore.  We are on the northwest part of Aruba.  Sand is white and gorgeous.  Canít believe we didnít know about this place or ever come here before.  We are taking the most of the family to Cancun next month. I really like Cancun but after being here it will be a little bit of a let down.

Cancun is wonderful as soon as you get to the resort, but the ride in the shuttle is infernal.

The OTR

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2019, 08:37:55 am »

Cancun is wonderful as soon as you get to the resort, but the ride in the shuttle is infernal.

The bus rides in Cancun are fun if you like danger and high speed out of control buses (and who doesnít?).  I love Cancun as well. We went there in January and the water was unbelievably warm.  Forgot all about it being January.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 09:49:26 am by The OTR »

The OTR

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2019, 08:39:08 am »

Cab rides here at dangerous.  Everyone drives like a maniac.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 09:48:49 am by The OTR »

hillbilly

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2020, 07:02:51 pm »

I think we have officially decided to take a cruise that goes to Aruba for a day in June. Pretty excited!

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Retired Inimitable War Damn Mockingbird Uni Keeper
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2020, 04:21:52 pm »

If you get let down by Cancun and need a place to beat Aruba and don't mind a long flight (like Australia long) go to Lord Howe Island for a week. No cell service at all on the island. There is a single, free, community phone to arrange tours. Call Jack Schick to climb Mt Gower and to go to Ball's Pyramid. Great guy!  Internet is pay for play and probably not worth the price. No rental cars available. Most walk or rent a bike and there are a few cars for hire to take you around if you like.  Island is home to the world's most southern coral reef. Water is crystal clear and there are a number of different beach choices to choose from. Went there last July in their winter and the water was great. Ned's Beach has a spot where all kinds of fish gather and can be fed by hand. Also a great place to snorkel or dive. Entire island is a heritage site and there's only enough beds for 300 tourists IIRC at any time. Our summer time is their slowest time, which I enjoyed but a few of the restaurants were closed until September. Still, there's a couple stores on the island for groceries, The Anchorage restaurant is great to reserve for a couple nights, and there's a general store that has a lunch and dinner walk up grill.  I may go back again this year. Between Lord Howe and Easter Island, my two favorite places I've ever visited and it's quite the drop off to 3rd place.  Here's a few pics.

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2020, 04:24:02 pm »

And the beer is good and cold.

ricepig

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2020, 04:41:44 pm »

If you get let down by Cancun and need a place to beat Aruba and don't mind a long flight (like Australia long) go to Lord Howe Island for a week. No cell service at all on the island. There is a single, free, community phone to arrange tours. Call Jack Schick to climb Mt Gower and to go to Ball's Pyramid. Great guy!  Internet is pay for play and probably not worth the price. No rental cars available. Most walk or rent a bike and there are a few cars for hire to take you around if you like.  Island is home to the world's most southern coral reef. Water is crystal clear and there are a number of different beach choices to choose from. Went there last July in their winter and the water was great. Ned's Beach has a spot where all kinds of fish gather and can be fed by hand. Also a great place to snorkel or dive. Entire island is a heritage site and there's only enough beds for 300 tourists IIRC at any time. Our summer time is their slowest time, which I enjoyed but a few of the restaurants were closed until September. Still, there's a couple stores on the island for groceries, The Anchorage restaurant is great to reserve for a couple nights, and there's a general store that has a lunch and dinner walk up grill.  I may go back again this year. Between Lord Howe and Easter Island, my two favorite places I've ever visited and it's quite the drop off to 3rd place.  Here's a few pics.

Looks made up, nice photoshop skills!

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2020, 12:31:26 pm »

Looks made up, nice photoshop skills!

Correct. Place is made up. No need for anyone to go there and mess darn up.

jabberjawls

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2020, 03:20:27 pm »

Beautiful pictures!! but the photo labeled clown fish is actually a parrot fish.  no biggy, just wanted to correct for those interested.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas