• 10,348,340 Posts
• 409,497 Topics
• 23,408 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How much did you cherish these old Dave Campbell magazines?  (Read 1443 times)

Rudy Baylor

Dad had them all the way back to 1961 I think.

As a kid I combed through them with care. Every picture on every page imprinted on my brain, including Rice, TCU, doesn't matter. I'd guess all the pictures of the high school players in the back would also be imprinted on my brain. What was the page of top 7 or 8 high school players in the state called? Friday Night Heroes?

wildturkey8

Re: How much did you cherish these old Dave Campbell magazines?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 10:00:26 am »

They were the best.  This is heresy but I sometime miss the old Southwest Conference.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Lanny

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 10:12:30 am »

I bought them every summer when I was a teenager.  That was 40 years back

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 10:25:00 am »

They were the best.  This is heresy but I sometime miss the old Southwest Conference.

they were the best at Southwest Conference football coverage. But their High school coverage left a lot to be desired.

EastexHawg

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 10:35:16 am »

they were the best at Southwest Conference football coverage. But their High school coverage left a lot to be desired.

In Texas they only did 1-2 paragraphs on each high school.  It wasn't really intended to be an in-depth source for high school coverage, it was primarily a publication that covered the Southwest Conference.  Even the Cowboys and Oilers only got a couple of pages.

I have them going back to 1964.  That issue had an article about the "Smiley Boys" (as in Houston Smiley High School), Jerry Lamb and Ronnie Caveness.  There was also a full page picture of Ken Hatfield with the caption "A Sizzler At Safety".

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 10:44:47 am »

In Texas they only did 1-2 paragraphs on each high school.  It wasn't really intended to be an in-depth source for high school coverage, it was primarily a publication that covered the Southwest Conference.  Even the Cowboys and Oilers only got a couple of pages.

I have them going back to 1964.  That issue had an article about the "Smiley Boys" (as in Houston Smiley High School), Jerry Lamb and Ronnie Caveness.  There was also a full page picture of Ken Hatfield with the caption "A Sizzler At Safety".

They had decent High school coverage but their SWC coverage was the best. I still say Hooten's does a better, more in depth job of covering Arkansas High School football  though.

When I was a youngster, I couldn't wait to get the yearly edition of Dave Campbell's Arkansas Football. I read that thing from cover to cover.

kaki

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 11:01:09 am »

Loved Dave Campbell's magazine as well, but later, I also looked forward to the Street and Smith's Annuals.  Especially looked forward to their basketball edition and their listings of college signings and high school prospects.

NWA Hog

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 12:32:02 pm »

A buddy of mine gave me a dog-eared copy of the 1974 edition when I was in the 6th grade. I bought a copy every summer after that until they stopped publication. I still have every one I bought, and still thumb through them today, especially this time of year.

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 01:36:36 pm »

I still have mine going back to 1969, the Year of the Big Shootout. I bought it with money I earned mowing yards.

Occasionally I look back through them and in the AR HS section, I have seen pictures of guys I got to know later even as I lived on the other side of the state from them at the time.

The 1974 edition was mentioned above. That was the year Earl Campbell came out of Tyler TX. In the preseason when it was printed, a RB named Sammy Singleton was the #1 rated RB in TX and Campbell's name was way back in the pack or nowhere to be found.

That goes to show you how recruiting rankings can be deceptive at best. Singleton signed with us and I don't recall if he even played a down as Campbell was wreaking havoc on the SWC from 1974-77..

Sivad

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2019, 03:18:32 pm »

They were the best. Nothing like them now. Certainly not that overpriced Hooten’s junk.

flagstaffhog

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2019, 03:29:05 pm »

I bought the Athlon magazine too. They always had a section with Cheerleaders pictures that I would ogle....

Go HOGS Go!

ricepig

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2019, 03:31:42 pm »

You boys must have been rich. I read it sitting on the magazine bookcase while Mom shopped in the 60’s. It sometimes took 3 shopping trips to read all of it.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2019, 03:33:47 pm »

As a kid Dave Campbell’s Football coming out meant the beginning of football season to me. I read all of the SWC team profiles and the Arkansas profile I had just about memorized by the first game.

Tejano Jawg

• Woooooooooo PIG SOOOIEEE!
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2019, 04:43:07 pm »

They were great. The oldest one I remember in our house had Dickey Morton on the cover. Who would be on the cover next? With every sports publication known to mankind at our fingertips—like now—back then that mag hitting the news stand was a huge deal.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2019, 04:50:27 pm »

They were the best. Nothing like them now. Certainly not that overpriced Hooten’s junk.

They were the best at covering the SWC, that's for sure. Hooten's high school coverage is better (more in depth) than Campbells though.

ricepig

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2019, 04:57:37 pm »

They were the best at covering the SWC, that's for sure. Hooten's high school coverage is better (more in depth) than Campbells though.

As long as you buy ads, lol.

oldman1015

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2019, 04:59:57 pm »

Brings back some good memories. Didn’t see kids walking around with Alabama or LSU hats on back then. All Hogs.

Rudy Baylor

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2019, 06:16:24 pm »

You boys must have been rich. I read it sitting on the magazine bookcase while Mom shopped in the 60’s. It sometimes took 3 shopping trips to read all of it.

Stop acting like you're poor. We all know the Joads picked peaches for you after you graduated college during the Depression.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2019, 06:18:59 pm »

As long as you buy ads, lol.

It is what it is. That's how they make their money. You must expect them to give those books away.

It's the businesses that buy the ads, not the schools.

ricepig

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2019, 06:52:32 pm »

Stop acting like you're poor. We all know the Joads picked peaches for you after you graduated college during the Depression.

We didn’t have a peach orchard.

ricepig

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2019, 06:53:19 pm »

It is what it is. That's how they make their money. You must expect them to give those books away.

It's the businesses that buy the ads, not the schools.
And, the more ads you buy, the more pages you get!

PossumFan

• Senior
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2019, 07:24:43 pm »

Really loved it and still have a bunch, along with some old game programs. I occasionally enjoy looking through them, reminiscing and marveling at how the game has changed ... 230-pound offensive tackles and 210-pound guards back then, and a 50 percent completion percentage for a QB and 600 yards rushing for an RB were top-notch.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2019, 07:30:04 pm »

And, the more ads you buy, the more pages you get!

Money talks. There's not a thing wrong with that. If a school wants a bigger write up, their booster club members need to line up some businesses to advertise.

ricepig

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2019, 07:42:51 pm »

Money talks. There's not a thing wrong with that. If a school wants a bigger write up, their booster club members need to line up some businesses to advertise.

Never said it didn’t, just want those who were unaware, how the magazine works.

Hog are ya

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2019, 02:49:22 am »

Yep, started buying them in the mid to late 70's in grade school.  Read every word, in the entire magazine!  Football was just around the corner!

And then, lo and behold, in the early 80's, I was blessed to have my pic in there in the high school section.  One of the greatest honors I think I've ever felt!

side note....  my pic "FOR SURE", was not in the Friday Night Hero area.  It was one of the really small ones.  But it still felt wonderful after being such a fan of the mag!

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • 6/27/18: Just another layer of scar tissue
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2019, 01:16:07 pm »

But you were ahead of your time when it came to kumquats and kiwi.

On the Campbell's magazines; yeah, they were the Bible on football in our house and required reading on the throne.  My favorite issue was the summer 1978 one.  Couldn't tell you who was on the cover, but I can tell you whose name was in the high school section!    ;D

EastArkHog 47

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2019, 03:11:50 pm »

Knew when it came out football season was near, lived in Memphis and only one place in West Memphis carried it, little old quick stop on Broadway. I still have every one from 1962 thru 1990, guess they got mad when we announced we were going to the SEC and didn't do one for 1991.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2019, 04:00:14 pm »

My buddy, who played HS football with me, called a few years ago and said he was in a flea market in Lubbock when he came across a copy of the '65 Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine. In the high school section there was a write up on our team and we were both mentioned in it. So I said to him, "You bought it right?" He was like, "Hell no, it was 20 bucks." So I said to him, "Go back and buy it now. I'll pay you $30 for it."

You can probably guess what happened. He went  back and it was gone.

Damn.

It's the one with Texas Tech's Donny Anderson on the cover. I had a copy at one time but my mom divorced my dad when I was in college and married another guy. My new step dad moved her stuff to his house but threw a lot of my stuff away.

BTW I looked it up on Amazon and the price has gone up. Like $120.

No freaking way. ;D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 04:13:29 pm by Mike Irwin »

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2019, 04:35:33 pm »

My buddy, who played HS football with me, called a few years ago and said he was in a flea market in Lubbock when he came across a copy of the '65 Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine. In the high school section there was a write up on our team and we were both mentioned in it. So I said to him, "You bought it right?" He was like, "Hell no, it was 20 bucks." So I said to him, "Go back and buy it now. I'll pay you $30 for it."

You can probably guess what happened. He went  back and it was gone.

Damn.

It's the one with Texas Tech's Donny Anderson on the cover. I had a copy at one time but my mom divorced my dad when I was in college and married another guy. My new step dad moved her stuff to his house but threw a lot of my stuff away.

BTW I looked it up on Amazon and the price has gone up. Like $120.

No freaking way. ;D

Isn't that the way it always goes if you don't buy something and it's the last or only one?

oldfart

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2019, 04:48:42 pm »

Isn't that the way it always goes if you don't buy something and it's the last or only one?

i call it the Hong Kong rule of shopping.. if you have ever been to Hong Kong and wandered through all the street markets.  My wife would say oh thats good illcome back later and get it. I told her if you want it buy it now you wont find your way back here... so we have adapted that to any similar situation today....

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2019, 06:36:47 pm »

Now we're talkin. Should let everyone know exactly how far back this recruiting thing goes. I remember when it was talkin bout just the possibility of Ferguson coming to Ark. Great times.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Dude I was the cool guy back in 76 look at me now
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2019, 07:42:43 pm »

Lanny, do you remember all those times that Orville Henry (in his column) and Dave Campbell (in his pre-season magazine) refer to the "Pesky Rice Owls" ? Those were the good days. Winning helped, but being much younger and more naïve was the key. Reminiscing is wonderful along with being sad. Wonderful in that re-living a time of your life when all seemed well is pleasant but is also sad in knowing those days are gone and will never come around again. You have a wonderful forum which Hog fans can speak to one another and I commend you for this. Thanks for allowing us to make more memories.

moses_007

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Bring the Wood!
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2019, 12:58:08 am »

I bought a copy of Arkansas Football for years until it ceased publication.  Haven't purchased anything like it since.

jackflash

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2019, 09:26:19 am »

I still buy Dave Campbell magazines to check out are Texas recruiting

Birminghog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Ludwig calls the Hogs at Hogville.net
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2019, 10:04:29 am »

I love it. You guys remind me of the Four Yorkshiremen sketch.
https://youtu.be/IeXMKygwSco

prattville pig

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2019, 12:06:24 pm »

This kind of stuff is how you became rich.

twistitup

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2019, 12:09:40 pm »

We were obsessed with it in hs... waiting on those tx hs write-ups

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2019, 04:36:15 pm »

This is a subject that can make me a little emotional. because my earliest memories of Texas Football (I grew up in El Paso) was Dad buying and reading it in the early 60's.  As I got older and my interest in football expanded beyond the backyard games my friends and I played to organized 'real' games, I started looking through old copies of the Texas Football magazines (they were NEVER thrown away after reading, as were our other magazines such as "The Saturday Evening Post", "Look" and "Life").  No - these stayed on the coffee table.

First one I specifically remember was 1964, with Baylor's WR Lawrence Elkins featured on the cover with his coach (Elkins teamed with Baylor QB Don Trull to be pre-season All Americans).  I read it cover to cover, and recall being excited about the new season coming up - the first that I'd really understand what was going on, as I was now playing on a team and understood much more about all of the rules and so forth.  Ironically, I didn't have any extraordinary expectations for Arkansas, which was coming off of an uncharacteristic 5-5 season in 1963.

As the years went by, it got so I counted the days until the new edition of Texas Football came out.  Dad would usually point out in mid to late June that it would be out soon, as the typical schedule called for it to be released shortly after the 4th of July.  This meant dropping by the newsstand in our local drug store frequently and looking for it until it arrived.  Dad and I would pore over it, then discuss the articles we'd read until the season started.  College football - and the Razorbacks in particular - we're probably our biggest "bonding" point.

One feature I always liked to read was the section where they polled several sportswriters from Texas and Arkansas for the season ahead.  They would put the top 3 or 4 teams in the SWC (predicted order of finish), Offensive Player of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, Coach of the Year, and sometimes would pick "The Game of the Year", which obviously changed from year to year.

I was introduced to many legendary sportswriters reading these predictions - Dave Campbell, Blackie Sherrod; Jim Trinkle; Mickey Herskowitz; Dan Jenkins, Bud Shrake, et al.  It was in that section that to writers would include a very brief summary or comment to back up their picks, and there were some memorable lines by these scribes.  The one I remember the most - though I'm not sure who coined it - was something like "The Longhorns enjoy Broyled Franks with Wooster-Speyrer sauce)" in predicting Texas to beat Arkansas in 1969's "key game".

These days, as a "season ticket holder" to the Cotton Bowl, I get the magazines sent to me for free - as a perk of buying the tickets.  Got one a couple of weeks ago, but haven't even taken one look at it.  Totally different world today, and there's little of interest in that magazine for an Arkansas fan anymore.  But i still respect it and appreciate Texas Football for what it was back in the day.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas